• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been waiting all day for the patch... this is really annoying.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Joining the Darkwraith covenant has been the best thing I've done in this game.

Anyways, I've been doing invasions with my Hulk cosplay, wearing nothing but a Large Club and pyro starter pants (which look soo good).

Today, Anor Londo. Here's the thing, when I invade 99% of the people aren't interested in a good fight and just want to carry on, this I learned my first day in Lost Izalith. Of course If I get a host that waves or acknowledges me I will play nice, but otherwise hosts + phantoms in play, it's dirty time.

Anyways, turns out today I killed the same guy twice using the same dirty trick. So I plop my red orb and guess what his name comes up again and as usual he's got a phantom with him. So I do my usual dirty trick but it appears he's learned so I only get a hit in before it becomes a 2v1 fight in one of those small Anor Londo rooms. Anyways I get a few good hits on both of them, but my health is dangerously low and I run... towards the titanite demon. This guy, he's so anxious to fninish me off he rushes behind me, forgets to use his estus... and the titanite demon finishes him off in one blow as soon as he enters the room.

I love this game!

Johnas

Whoops, I accidentally killed the dude at the bottom of the bell tower, after the gargoyle boss. Hope he wasn't important..

e: oh my god hahaha, he even dropped an item called the book of the guilty

fuck you dark souls! :V

e2: ohhhhh he's the only way to make hostile npcs happy again? great. well then, guess i just have to avoid hitting people with my sword from now on!

I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this post.

The shotel guy?

No, it's the same dudes I ran into the other night. Mindgamingmantis and calculator. The host just sits back to take pot shots at you with dark magic while you fight against his phantom. And if he sees that you're actually pummeling him he will just chug estus. After winning they keep spamming stupid emotes like a bunch of douchebags.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
No, it's the same dudes I ran into the other night. Mindgamingmantis and calculator. The host just sits back to take pot shots at you with dark magic while you fight against his phantom. And if he sees that you're actually pummeling him he will just chug estus. After winning they keep spamming stupid emotes like a bunch of douchebags.

Haven't seen them.

Anyways when I see setups like that, I just crystal out.

aravuus

I just wanted to say I enjoyed reading this post.

It's been an interesting start for sure. I'm in a kind of irritating situation, I haven't put THAT many hours in the game yet so I could restart but on the other hand, it still took a whole day to get that far. Guess I'll continue, more fun this way. I'm not actually expecting to finish the game, I'm here to see just how far in I can get before I hit a wall :V

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's been an interesting start for sure. I'm in a kind of irritating situation, I haven't put THAT many hours in the game yet so I could restart but on the other hand, it still took a whole day to get that far. Guess I'll continue, more fun this way. I'm not actually expecting to finish the game, I'm here to see just how far in I can get before I hit a wall :V

With the whole summon thing, there's no such wall.

Although there are a couple zones that might be a bit rough.

aravuus

For better or for worse, I'm doing my first playthrough on offline mode. I kind of want to turn it online now for I don't know, the added insanity I guess, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Anyone know if I can take my offline profile's save data, copy it to my online profile's folder and continue online like nothing happened?

Also, am I supposed to go to that skeleton area now that I rang the first bell? I mean goddamn, those motherfuckers hit HARD. I remember there was this thief area with a boss I haven't killed yet, maybe I should go there first? Not sure if I can find it again though lmao

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
For better or for worse, I'm doing my first playthrough on offline mode. I kind of want to turn it online now for I don't know, the added insanity I guess, but I'm not sure if it's possible. Anyone know if I can take my offline profile's save data, copy it to my online profile's folder and continue online like nothing happened?

Also, am I supposed to go to that skeleton area now that I rang the first bell? I mean goddamn, those motherfuckers hit HARD. I remember there was this thief area with a boss I haven't killed yet, maybe I should go there first? Not sure if I can find it again though lmao

I think you can use your offline. I don't think it makes a difference.

I'd avoid the skeletons for the mo. Have a chat with the Crestfallen dude, he should point you in the right direction.

aravuus

oh SHIT WHY IS THAT SKELETON SO HUGE

Oh man running around has never been so much fun!

I think you can use your offline. I don't think it makes a difference.

I'd avoid the skeletons for the mo. Have a chat with the Crestfallen dude, he should point you in the right direction.

He just keeps laughing at my hollow face. So I assume the second bell is somewhere in the zombie area too.

In your face skeletons

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
oh SHIT WHY IS THAT SKELETON SO HUGE

Oh man running around has never been so much fun!

He just keeps laughing at my hollow face. So I assume the second bell is somewhere in the zombie area too.

In your face skeletons

Hahaha! It's a great game.

If you really want to know,
there is a door near Sunbro/Bridge Dragon.

aravuus

Crash and burn Capra Demon, crash and fucking burn. Took a few tries and I finished him practically half dead. Onwards to the depths, I'll check out that spoiler of yours if this place leads nowhere.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Crash and burn Capra Demon, crash and fucking burn. Took a few tries and I finished him practically half dead. Onwards to the depths, I'll check out that spoiler of yours if this place leads nowhere.

Don't bother, chief. You are on the 'right' path. Good luck!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Can't wait to hear your progress report.

Depths are a funny place, they have some cute frogs down there.

aravuus

Wow, this game is good at making you feel like an idiot. A goddamn RAT killed me. It was a very clever rat though, I have to give it that. It was hiding in a box, waiting for me.

Well, more clever than the other rats anyway, they don't seem to mind at all when a big ass guy comes down with a big ass sword and kills all their rat friends.

I am absolutely LOVING the exploration, it's just sooo goooooood. I don't even really mind dying, I mean, I usually have only a tiny amount of souls anyway :V
Now I only need a blacksmith and a few levels of strength to start swinging that black knight greatsword around

e: Found a sack

Y4ikfBL.png

Pretty sure I'm ready to save the world now

e2: wow yeah, those are some critters alright. i don't think i've ever seen a more disturbing frog.

e3: mental note: the sack does not protect against dragons, especially ones with mouths where their bodies are supposed to be

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Wow, this game is good at making you feel like an idiot. A goddamn RAT killed me. It was a very clever rat though, I have to give it that. It was hiding in a box, waiting for me.

Well, more clever than the other rats anyway, they don't seem to mind at all when a big ass guy comes down with a big ass sword and kills all their rat friends.

I am absolutely LOVING the exploration, it's just sooo goooooood. I don't even really mind dying, I mean, I usually have only a tiny amount of souls anyway :V
Now I only need a blacksmith and a few levels of strength to start swinging that black knight greatsword around

e: Found a sack

Y4ikfBL.png

Pretty sure I'm ready to save the world now

e2: wow yeah, those are some critters alright. i don't think i've ever seen a more disturbing frog.

e3: mental note: the sack does not protect against dragons, especially ones with mouths where their bodies are supposed to be

Hahahaha!

That's one hell of an impression when you see that thing crawling up in the intro eh?

Don't worry, he's not that tough.

Where to go next is pretty straightforward, but that place is anything but straightforward. Be warned, you are likely to develop a raging Pavlovian response to blow darts and wooden planks after you get through.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
To say the least, I don't think any other game has made me say nopenopenope out loud lol

Round two! I noticed you can get a Dragon King Greataxe for cutting off its tail, worth it?

Oh, it's ok, but it might require a tiny bit more strength to use properly than you have at the moment.

Soulhouf

Haha, there are dumbasses invading from the beginning of the area? Waste of time and it damages your armour way too fast overtime. I always spawn either on the platform above the bonfire, or at the boss fog gate.

Yeah I was invaded multiple times by people from the beginning of the area.
Actually even when you take the shortcut, if someone invades from the lava area he will end up in your world and will have to cross the entire area. Big time.

aravuus

Surprising, gaping dragon was actually really easy. Didn't get hit once!

e: nooooo massive framerate drops in blighttown. gotta clear this place asap.

e2: fuck, it seems I can't just copy-paste my offline user's save to my online user's save folder, says the file is corrupted. Anyone know if it's possible somehow? I really want to go online now.

e3: ridiculous, apparently you can't. Fucking piece of shit GFWL. Eh, offline adventuring then.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dark anor londo, ring of fog and slumbering dragon crest ring.

Too bad the guy followed me to the archer buttress and fell down.

Should have let me crystal out, buddy.

Does anyone have a Steam character around level 75? I don't want to fight Manus alone anymore and can't for the life of me find someone to summon (besides Sif)

My GFWL is chasechasechase

I'm playing online for the first time, having just bought the PC version...

What is the typical level range for Undead Parish? I'm SL16, and tried placing my summon sign to co-op the gargoyles, but nothing.

By the way, I have noticed fog gates going up from time to time, I assume from being invaded, but no invasion message appears and I never run into anyone.

I'm playing online for the first time, having just bought the PC version...

What is the typical level range for Undead Parish? I'm SL16, and tried placing my summon sign to co-op the gargoyles, but nothing.

By the way, I have noticed fog gates going up from time to time, I assume from being invaded, but no invasion message appears and I never run into anyone.

That's a decent level for co-op with the Gargoyles...online is just so buggy on PC. Have you installed the DSCFix?

And yeah, fog gates will go up when someone is trying to invade you, but 75% of the time the invasion fails, which is why you don't actually get invaded.

Booshka

Does anyone have a Steam character around level 75? I don't want to fight Manus alone anymore and can't for the life of me find someone to summon (besides Sif)

My GFWL is chasechasechase

I have a character in that range but haven't got to Township yet. Should get there soon though.

AlexBasch

Just got past Blighttown and defeated
Quelaag

Since I'm not sure of the spoiling rules, I'll just mark this whole instead.

I felt really, really angry when going through that section, way too many falls, the fucking poison and hard to hit mosquitos, but after you beat Queelag and trackback to get to Firelink Shrine, you get to see how fucking simple that level is, I don't know how I missed so many ladders and kept plummeting to my death. Feeling incredibly stupid now.

Just got a pyro spell as well, yay.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Quelaag

I felt really, really angry when going through that section, way too many falls, the fucking poison and hard to hit mosquitos, but after you beat Queelag and trackback to get to Firelink Shrine, you get to see how fucking simple that level is, I don't know how I missed so many ladders and kept plummeting to my death. Feeling incredibly stupid now.

Knowledge is dangerous.

Mogwai

Quelaag

I think the crappy framerate adds to the confusion. At least that's what I like to believe, playing on the 360. ;)

Blighttown is pretty tense as you gotta be on your toes all the time. You can't just take a 5 min. break anywhere in that area.

aravuus

The only reason I actually really hated Blighttown was the horrible framerate. Which is hilarious, I'm on a pretty powerful PC. I can't believe they greenlighted that area, hope DSII won't have anything like it.

Still, I made it, and I'm now staring right into the face(s) of a goddamn hydra and I'm too afraid to do anything

e: holy shit i thinks it's getting closer

e2: hydra down, i fucking love the music in ash lake. if you can call that music. turns the atmosphere pretty ominous.

Mogwai

The only reason I actually really hated Blighttown was the horrible framerate. Which is hilarious, I'm on a pretty powerful PC. I can't believe they greenlighted that area, hope DSII won't have anything like it.

Still, I made it, and I'm now staring right into the face(s) of a goddamn hydra and I'm too afraid to do anything

e: holy shit i thinks it's getting closer

e2: hydra down, i fucking love the music in ash lake. if you can call that music. turns the atmosphere pretty ominous.

Can't tell exactly how far your are in the game, but there's definitely awesome boss music incoming :)

aravuus

I've really liked the music in general so far, it's very minimalistic in a way and there's not much of it, but imo that's what makes it so good. As I said, it does wonders to the atmosphere.

Anyway, AT LAST I found a blacksmith. I have literally come this far without a single glimpse of one. Felt a bit dumb but I had to think for a few seconds as to what button I had to press again to talk to him and to not hit him.

Right now there are three bigger areas I haven't checked out yet, I'm pretty sure I know where to go so the other two, I assume, are optional. Not sure, no way to find out but by exploring! Really liking this kind of stuff right now, usually I really really really appreciate a marker or a pointing arrow or something that shows me where I should go next, but right now I don't want that. Maybe I should give Morrowing a second chance after this.

e: unfortunately the only fire keeper i've encountered was in the swamp, and i really don't want to go through blighttown again...

SamVimes

What's a good level to stop at to keep playing pvp? Right now i'm at 85 and i'm getting a lot of action in front of the arena in which you kill
Artorias

Antagon

Is the Europe PS3 version not patched yet? Just started a new character today and ran into the flicker bug.

Started a new bandit. Got quite far into the game before but stopped for a while and didn't feel like continuing. Going for a dex build, enjoying it so far. Bandit feels kinda overpowered, but yet so good.

Is the Europe PS3 version not patched yet? Just started a new character today and ran into the flicker bug.

Started a new bandit. Got quite far into the game before but stopped for a while and didn't feel like continuing. Going for a dex build, enjoying it so far. Bandit feels kinda overpowered, but yet so good.

Nope, loaded mine up an hour or so ago and there was no patch (UK). Maybe Monday?

is there a noobie starting class / general direction of areas I should head to to start.

I'm just....I'm so close to quitting. I'm in blighttown right now after taking out the gargoyles. I have a drake sword, slightly upgraded elite knight set and healing and force miracles.

And I just feel so weak. I don't even know if I'm going where I should.

I feel like if I had some form of sorcery or pyromancy things would be so much easier.

is there a noobie starting class / general direction of areas I should head to to start.

I'm just....I'm so close to quitting. I'm in blighttown right now after taking out the gargoyles. I have a drake sword, slightly upgraded elite knight set and healing and force miracles.

I feel like if I had some form of sorcery or pyromancy things would be so much easier.

Ditch the Drake Sword and pick another weapon. Pretty much any weapon will do, just go and upgrade it to +10. The blacksmith back up at Undead Parish can get it up to +5 for you, and if you picked up the Large Ember in the Depths he can upgrade it to +10.

In terms of pyromancy, did you rescue the pyromancer in the Depths? He'll give you a pyromancy glove. If you get that upgraded a bit, that can help a lot as well.

The only problem is that you are already down in blighttown...getting back out to get your weapons upgraded can be a bit of a chore, but there is a shortcut you can take. I would recommend seeing if you can beat the boss in this area, and then heading back to the surface to upgrade a weapon of your choosing.

EDIT: On second thought, you may want to keep the drake sword at least long enough to beat the blighttown boss, and make your way back out. But once you do, you'll want another weapon that actually scales.

aravuus

Around the end of Blighttown was when I also changed my weapon, to black knight sword. I'm seeing some complaints of its slowness and such, but I'm dealing so crazy damage per hit it doesn't even matter. I would love a good spear though.

Aww yiss, finally got Dark Souls PC properly working (took like 5 hours which is the same time I could have cleared it on PS3... twice!) but it looks awesome and it's fun to play: I started as a Sorcerer for the first time (I haven't played any magic class yet and I have 100%'d it on PS3). Owned Taurus Demon and now I am off to face the Gargoyles I guess.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Anyway, AT LAST I found a blacksmith. I have literally come this far without a single glimpse of one. Felt a bit dumb but I had to think for a few seconds as to what button I had to press again to talk to him and to not hit him.
You got through Blighttown without ever meeting Andre? o_O

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

The drake sword is a noob trap. All those people telling you to get it at the beginning are unwillingly trolling you.

The drake sword can only be upgraded 5 times and does not get bonus damage from stats. There are several weapons you can get in the burg or the parish that out damage it when properly upgraded.

Also, did you take out the Capra and ran through the depths or used the master key shortcut to access blight town?

Is it possible for Vince and Nico to go Hollow while still in Firelink? Basically I just played all the way up to Gwyn...but I skipped the Depths. And I just went back to kill Capra, which is supposed to make Rhea's whole entourage appear in Firelink. But now the two of them attack me on sight.

I'm wondering if I should go back to Tomb of the Giants and see if they appear there, or if I can just kill them in Firelink and get the same miracle reward from Rhea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom