• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
naw it's still OP, especially with heavier weapons. The invincibility frames and forward momentum of the roll make it amazing. It also takes a tiny bit less stamina to flip roll than fast roll.

Still fun as hell.

Yup, still OP. It's pretty much necessary for me when red eye orbing in the forest where I can get ganked by 3 people who use TWOP. DWGR helps me to get away so I can prepare nicely. After I'm in the clear I can switch out the DWGR for something else if I want

I'm glad it was nerfed but at the same time I miss those flipping cookie cutter builds.

Booshka

Yup, still OP. It's pretty much necessary for me when red eye orbing in the forest where I can get ganked by 3 people who use TWOP. DWGR helps me to get away so I can prepare nicely. After I'm in the clear I can switch out the DWGR for something else if I want

I'm glad it was nerfed but at the same time I miss those flipping cookie cutter builds.

I was able to min max my gear well enough to get 56 poise and flip with a Quality build using Claymore, Rapier, and Composite bow. It's really effective in the Gankroot Forest

Zertez

I havent played in about a month, have they fixed the graphic flickering bug yet? Bonfires, messages, effects, etc cutting in and out. It is playable, but definitely distracting and was hoping they fixed it before finishing the dlc on PS3.

Seance

Banned
Fast roll and Ninja flip are both OP. Spamming invincibility frames trivializes PvP and PvE, requires no skill, precision or timing.
Sadly I have no hope for FROM to introduce a roll cooldown for DaS2, though the series sorely needs it.

Booshka

Fast roll and Ninja flip are both OP. Spamming invincibility frames trivializes PvP and PvE, requires no skill, precision or timing.
Sadly I have no hope for FROM to introduce a roll cooldown for DaS2, though the series sorely needs it.

It takes plenty of timing to fast roll and avoid attacks, flip rolling is much easier, but there is still plenty of timing and skill. There are some players I have fought that literally avoid every swing of mine and counter with attacks or backstabs, they know the timing on almost all the weapons.

I feel there is no need for roll cooldown, that would be immensely frustrating and slow the game down way too much, game is already deliberately slow, that would be a real shit mechanic. Stamina management needs to be adjusted so you can't spam multiple rolls then get a combo of attacks or backstab in. In PvP it is especially a problem because everyone uses Green Blossom for PvP, which is essentially accepted as part of the meta for PvP in Dark Souls. Without stamina regen items or gear, managing stamina is actually a very serious concern, and adds to the tension and skill of fights.

From just needs to examine and balance their stamina management so that roll spamming isn't so prevalent, one or two well timed rolls and then a combo or strong attack is about all you should be able to do. I also like how the stamina drain from blocking works in Demon's, it's a lot more severe than Dark Souls, and makes you roll more and be more careful with blocking.

On another note, although the Flip ring is fun and overpowered, it shouldn't return for Dark Souls 2. Fast, Mid, and Fat rolls are perfectly fine, flip ring is too broken.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's not true at all. The problem is the stamina regen stacking, as Booshka said. When you can spam those rolls it does trivialize PvP.

Demon's Souls did that better. The only stamina regen item was a rare ring, and it was kinda crappy (barely noticeable effect and foe/friend rings were invariably better choices for PvP) so there was no abuse.

IMO grass crest shield is more OP than the flip ring. *shrugs*

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
In PvP it is especially a problem because everyone uses Green Blossom for PvP, which is essentially accepted as part of the meta for PvP in Dark Souls. Without stamina regen items or gear, managing stamina is actually a very serious concern, and adds to the tension and skill of fights.

Why would you let them buff.

I always ambush invaders from dead angles to get the drop on them. I welcomed the last one with a giant club to the head.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Playing the game as intended, heck yeah.
Depends. Are you waiting around the bonfires for invaders to spawn with no intention of progressing through the level? If so, no, you're not really "playing the game as intended". If you ambush invaders while you're on your way to the boss, then sure.

So I beat everything until the last boss on my first playthrough. Would are all the things I should do before starting NG+? Also, is it possible to change my character (class, gender, appearance, etc.) before NG+?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I beat everything until the last boss on my first playthrough. Would are all the things I should do before starting NG+? Also, is it possible to change my character (class, gender, appearance, etc.) before NG+?

If its RIGHT before the end boss and you have all your stuff leveled and have bought everything you want - kill every NPC and take their loot.

Piano

Banned
Only boss I've never been able to solo...
Took me a million tries but I managed to do it solo. Never been able to do O&S solo though. Just...can't.

Im on my third play through now and find it interesting that different builds make different bosses either a total joke or impossible. Sorcery made any fight in a large arena a breeeeeeze.

I also find that on my third play through I'm summoning other players a lot more because I'm tired of some of the fights or want to focus on tail cuts.

I still feel some shame summoning other players though. Or at least summoning them if I haven't tried and failed a dozen times :(

Anyone else have Dark Souls shame and guilt?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I feel sorta bad because I discovered what summoning was and how you were supposed to do it right before the S&O fight, so I never had my true one on two encounter with them.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Took me a million tries but I managed to do it solo. Never been able to do O&S solo though. Just...can't.

Im on my third play through now and find it interesting that different builds make different bosses either a total joke or impossible. Sorcery made any fight in a large arena a breeeeeeze.

I also find that on my third play through I'm summoning other players a lot more because I'm tired of some of the fights or want to focus on tail cuts.

I still feel some shame summoning other players though. Or at least summoning them if I haven't tried and failed a dozen times :(

Anyone else have Dark Souls shame and guilt?

Even small arena fights are easy as a sorc. The paradigmatic example is the Capra and you can use hidden body - the dogs will not agro you as long as you stay near the door.

My pure sorc just owned the game. And because I rarely if ever get hit I can pick armor combinations for aesthetic purposes instead of looking like a lump of iron with legs.

Edit: laurel and hardy are easy easy with a sorc. If you want to cleanse yourself from coop shame just make a sorc and demolish them.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hopefully someone will post here when it's fixed... I haven't checked in days.

sixghost

The gravelord covenant is really the only thing in the game I haven't seen, so I'm about to start a playthrough to do the catacombs as soon as possible. Any general advice for gravelording successfully? All I've ever heard is that the covenant is borderline broken. Is there any way to increase the odds of successfully infecting someones world? What's the easiest way to get the item needed to initiate the invasion?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
My hulk build got past sens and the anor londo archers.

I know it's small peas, but getting past the archers without a shield or poison arrows felt good ;D

Now let's see how the dynamic duo goes. I plan on backtracking to get the very large ember and +15 my weapon before engaging them.

Booshka

My hulk build got past sens and the anor londo archers.

I know it's small peas, but getting past the archers without a shield or poison arrows felt good ;D

Now let's see how the dynamic duo goes. I plan on backtracking to get the very large ember and +15 my weapon before engaging them.

You can still barehand parry btw. It looks badass, start practicing now so you can beast Gwyn with some barehanded parries.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Use Heavy boots (Pyro starter set). Most "Hulk-like" leggings IMO. :p

Thanks for the tip btw.

Had one invader compliment me on my Hulk and asked which pants was I using ;D

You can still barehand parry btw. It looks badass, start practicing now so you can beast Gwyn with some barehanded parries.

Hmm... I might equip a heavier set for practicing it, with just the heavy boots two hits from the silver knights kills me.

Piano

Banned
From the guy who brought you that one Dead Space 3 review, comes this IN-DEPTH, COMPREHENSIVE review of Dark Souls.
yyW0dt5.jpg

cKpYx3C.jpg

tLStnTk.jpg

Your meaningless stat screen means more to me than the actual stat screen did the first time I booted up the game. It still means more than Resistance.

I've played for over 120 hours now and I'm still figuring shit out and getting killed in the 'Burg whenever I get really impatient. Also how the fuck did it take me 100+ hours to figure out I could slide down ladders?

Nice comic.
nice boobs

Might try and finally finish my first playthrough tonight. All I have let is the DLC boss (who's kicking my ass) and what I'm assuming is the final area/boss.

Would prefer to do it in online mode with messages, but I'm getting the itch.

Seance

Banned
It takes plenty of timing to fast roll and avoid attacks, flip rolling is much easier, but there is still plenty of timing and skill. There are some players I have fought that literally avoid every swing of mine and counter with attacks or backstabs, they know the timing on almost all the weapons.

I feel there is no need for roll cooldown, that would be immensely frustrating and slow the game down way too much, game is already deliberately slow, that would be a real shit mechanic.

You've got to be joking, it takes very little effort even for faster weapons. Rolling through greataxes/greathammers/ulgreatswords takes zero skill. Spamming roll and rollBS is what renders mid-roll, fat-roll and heavy weapons non-viable for PvP, especially with how stupidly slow heavy weapon swings are and how long the cooldowns are.

So glad that Dark souls combat seems to be faster paced, hopefully it's more balanced too.

Booshka

You've got to be joking, it takes very little effort even for faster weapons. Rolling through greataxes/greathammers/ulgreatswords takes zero skill. Spamming roll and rollBS is what renders mid-roll, fat-roll and heavy weapons non-viable for PvP, especially with how stupidly slow heavy weapon swings are and how long the cooldowns are.

So glad that Dark souls combat seems to be faster paced, hopefully it's more balanced too.

I'm talking about good duelists, not random scrubs you invade. If people aren't telegraphing their attacks, mixing up movesets and dead angling, rolling through their attacks does take time and skill.

Rolling through heavy weapons is pretty easy, but I use heavy weapons all the time and hit people when they are trying to roll through it because I manually aim the attack, dead angle it and rely on good timing.

Seance

Banned
Exactly, good duelers will never get caught by a heavy attack. Playing unlocked or getting dead angles is irrelevant if they have invincibility frames. Eh, whatever. It's just a shame how all the cool weapons are shit and the best weapons are lame ass falchion, straight sword, side-sword, katana etc.

Booshka

Exactly, good duelers will never get caught by a heavy attack. Playing unlocked or getting dead angles is irrelevant if they have invincibility frames. Eh, whatever. It's just a shame how all the cool weapons are shit and the best weapons are lame ass falchion, straight sword, side-sword, katana etc.

You read my post wrong or I wrote it incorrectly. I win on my heavy strength builds all the time against good players.

You can't just lock on and swing away with big weapons, you have to unlock, aim your swings, time them and dead angle. There is a little more nuance, but you can make it work. Also Jump attacks are amazing in duels as well, great way to catch people off guard and cover a lot of distance.

schwupp

i want to start a new character and get into the Darkwraith Covenant.
whats a good build for a pvp caster? i can find way to many builds :(

Thought I would spend some time getting through a few bosses since online is a no-no with the flickering. Still ploughing with my STR build, who's now rocking Demon Machete +15.

Tonight I vanquished:

Hydra
Black Hydra
Nito (poor thing didn't know what hit him)
Undead Dragon (Valley of Drakes)
Demon Firesage
Seath

Demon Firesage gave me some shit, the git kept jumping on me, wiping out 100% of my VIT22 in one go! Finished him in the end though, but I do think I need to put some levelling into VIT now, especially as my next move after Bed of Chaos is the DLC....

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm itching for some more pvp but the humanity requirement is killing me, I don't wanna go kill rats for hours on end.

Where's more action, being a sinner in anor londo or killing an npc in the forest?

oh crap i need to be in human form to be invaded through those means right?

Booshka

I'm itching for some more pvp but the humanity requirement is killing me, I don't wanna go kill rats for hours on end.

Where's more action, being a sinner in anor londo or killing an npc in the forest?

oh crap i need to be in human form to be invaded through those means right?

Go to Undead Burg or Township and just put your Red Sign down. You will be summoned as dark spirit and only gain humanity if you win, if you lose you don't lose humanity, just have to pick your bloodstain back up, but you will stay in Human form.

Lot easier to get Humanity stacked up if you invade as red as opposed to just hosting and getting invaded.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Go to Undead Burg or Township and just put your Red Sign down. You will be summoned as dark spirit and only gain humanity if you win, if you lose you don't lose humanity, just have to pick your bloodstain back up, but you will stay in Human form.

Lot easier to get Humanity stacked up if you invade as red as opposed to just hosting and getting invaded.

Undead burg? Wouldn't I be overleveled for that?

Booshka

Undead burg? Wouldn't I be overleveled for that?

Nope, plenty of SL 100-120 duels can be found there. With some super high level players as well. Taurus demon is an optional boss with master key, and Undead Burg has a nice little area right next to the bonfire that is very popular for duels.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nope, plenty of SL 100-120 duels can be found there. With some super high level players as well. Taurus demon is an optional boss with master key, and Undead Burg has a nice little area right next to the bonfire that is very popular for duels.

So NG+ Undead Burg then?

Allright.

Hmm crap on my NG+ char the Taurus is dead... but I think the Capra is alive. Would that work?

Booshka

So NG+ Undead Burg then?

Allright.

Hmm crap on my NG+ char the Taurus is dead... but I think the Capra is alive. Would that work?

It doesn't matter what playthrough you are on, you can PvP and co op with people as long as you meet the level parameters. In the case of red invading, you can invade in co op range and all the way up to max level.

No one duels in Lower Undead Burg, just stay on whatever character you are playing and red sign in Undead Burg, you will be fighting soon enough.

uhm, could someone clarify something for me? I, uh, told Laurentius about some sweet, sweet pyro spells, I guess. The next time I came to Firelink Shrine (with 20,000 souls from beating the Stray Demon) to upgrade my pyromancy he was gone. I googled to see why he left out of curiosity, and it turns out he isn't coming back. My only other options to upgrade pyromancy are a witch and that creepy dude with eggs and shit on his head. Here's the problem: I killed that asshole. I wasn't a member of the chaos cult at the time (I am now) and honestly told him that I wasn't. He blocked me and left me with no choice but to murder him. Thus, I cannot upgrade my pyromancy through him. So apparently my last option remaining is some witch living in Blighttown, but she only appears under certain conditions. I've only upgraded my pyromancy to level 6 or so (I managed to miss Laurnentius while traversing the Depths).

Am I fucked?

I started the game as a pyromancer and wanted to begin integrating pyromancy back into my arsenal after relying heavily on a more melee-focused build. I am guessing that is now out of the question, but I thought I would ask you experts. Please say there's some way to upgrade pyromancy and purchase new spells. I've learned my lesson: don't kill anything that speaks unless you know for certain what will happen! (That said, I killed that creepy guy in the gold suit back in the Undead Parish and he dropped an AMAZING RING).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
uhm, could someone clarify something for me? I, uh, told Laurentius about some sweet, sweet pyro spells, I guess. The next time I came to Firelink Shrine (with 20,000 souls from beating the Stray Demon) to upgrade my pyromancy he was gone. I googled to see why he left out of curiosity, and it turns out he isn't coming back. My only other options to upgrade pyromancy are a witch and that creepy dude with eggs and shit on his head. Here's the problem: I killed that asshole. I wasn't a member of the chaos cult at the time (I am now) and honestly told him that I wasn't. He blocked me and left me with no choice but to murder him. Thus, I cannot upgrade my pyromancy through him. So apparently my last option remaining is some witch living in Blighttown, but she only appears under certain conditions. I've only upgraded my pyromancy to level 6 or so (I managed to miss Laurnentius while traversing the Depths).

Am I fucked?

If the witch isn't appearing in Blighttown... yes, you're fucked. If you really wanted to use pyromancy for this playthrough, start over.

You didn't have to murder the egg dude. If he's mad at you, you could just reload and restart the dialogue and he'd let you pass. Or you could go see Oswald at the Parish and pay him some souls to absolve your sins so that NPCs aren't angry with you anymore.

(That said, I killed that creepy guy in the gold suit back in the Undead Parish and he dropped an AMAZING RING).
...That wasn't such a great idea. You could have gotten that ring later, and
you would have also gotten more loot. Eh, nothing essential I guess.

If the witch isn't appearing in Blighttown... yes, you're fucked. If you really wanted to use pyromancy for this playthrough, start over.

You didn't have to murder the egg dude. If he's mad at you, you could just reload and restart the dialogue and he'd let you pass. Or you could go see Oswald at the Parish and pay him some souls to absolve your sins so that NPCs aren't angry with you anymore.

...That wasn't such a great idea. You could have gotten that ring later, and
you would have also gotten more loot. Eh, nothing essential I guess.

I haven't checked to see if the witch is there, but from what I know she only appears if you have a certain level of pyromancy. I will when I ventured back down to Blighttown as apparently there's two areas down there that I completely missed. Now that I have the rusted ring, I'll be able to better explore it.

I'm really enjoying this playthrough. I started the game months ago but got sidetracked. On that playthrough, I was a thief and I was very much attached to my starting dagger. This playthrough I have been a lot more flexible, starting out using my pyromancy a lot but then switching early on to a Black Knight Sword and basically levelling endurance like crazy. I'm having way more fun. I ended up reaching the same point in this playthrough as I did in the first in about half of the time!

Yeah, it was foolish to murder the egg dude. I obviously wasn't thinking. All I saw was a bonfire behind him and I had just beaten a boss... so I was like, fuck this asshole, I want to get through. Plus he annoyed me. Ah well, this is the price I pay for being a dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom