• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does sound like you're screwed for Quelana to show up. With regards to Eingyi though there's almost always a way to get on the good side of NPCs, if you answer no to him at first, just revisit the area or quit/reload and he will ask again.

Since you're not very far in, if you're set on using pyromancy it might be worth starting again and remembering to answer the questions right to Laurentius(No) and Eingyi(Yes). Since there's no stat requirements for pyromancy you can start again as any class, the only benefit of starting as a Pyromancer is having the fireball spell between the start and rescuing Laurentius.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So what's the hardest class to do a playthrough with without leveling? Pyro isn't really that hard even though it's the only class that starts at lvl 1.

Guys, whats a good quality build weapon for mid range PvP.

I am gonna top out at around 20 STR and 20 DEX. Will probably be using Darkmoon blade or Sunlight blade.

Currently doing pretty great with the BKS but its not buffable.

Booshka

Guys, whats a good quality build weapon for mid range PvP.

I am gonna top out at around 20 STR and 20 DEX. Will probably be using Darkmoon blade or Sunlight blade.

Currently doing pretty great with the BKS but its not buffable.

It's not a quality build if you are buffing, but since you are, might as well go full dick mode and buff a washing pole with 20/20 str/dex.

JackHerer

So I bought the 360 version of this last night. I've never played this game or Demon Soul's.

Played through the first castle/undead prison area before I feel asleep. Seems pretty awesome but hard.
I died probably ten times trying to kill the first Castle Demon thing before I realized I could shoot him with magic arrows.

Loving the atmosphere so far though.

Booshka

So I bought the 360 version of this last night. I've never played this game or Demon Soul's.

Played through the first castle/undead prison area before I feel asleep. Seems pretty awesome but hard.
I died probably ten times trying to kill the first Castle Demon thing before I realized I could shoot him with magic arrows.

Loving the atmosphere so far though.

Take your time, don't worry about your deaths so long as you learn from them. When the time comes, focus on upgrading weapons instead of solely focusing on leveling. Any weapon can get you through the game if you upgrade it well and tailor it to your character, so don't be afraid to upgrade a simple Longsword, etc.

Never level Resistance, it's worthless compared to every other stat.

Have fun and post if you want any help or have general questions.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
FUCK YEAHG!!!

My Hulk cosplay has defeated Ornstein and Smough... shieldless and armorless!

Setup:

Large Club +15
Heavy Boots +7 (these are the pyro starting boots, they fit the theme quite well in terms of looks).
Wolf Ring.
Ring of electricity protection (don't recall the proper name)
+3 estus flask
Fire pine resin.
Power within is available but was not used.
And I summonned Solaire.

Right afterwards I made Smough's Hammer. God that thing looks outlandish hahaha.

SHIELDS ARE USELESS! USELESS I TELL YOU!

Next stop, I gotta farm humanity to open the Lost Izalith shortcut - I really want to save Solaire, he's died every playthrough I've done. Then, Four Kings.

I'm quickly becoming a fan of the Large Club. The moveset is great, the damage is huge (615 AR two handing it with 27 strength, if I recall, at +15) and it looks boss. Strong attack hits dredglings for 833 damage. On my trial runs, it was 5 light attacks to kill Ornstein (without resin).

This game, this game!

Piano

Banned
I started a strength character just so I could use all of the badass looking boss and heavy weapons...

...and man, it just isn't that fun. Fat encumbrance is unplayable so I'm keeping it around medium and most of the special weapons are just way too slow to be interesting.

I just got past O&S and I'm still using my starting Battle Axe (+10). Are there any FUN strength weapons? Or are they all just novel in how strong they are? What are the best ones?

Any other tips to make it interesting?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I started a strength character just so I could use all of the badass looking boss and heavy weapons...

...and man, it just isn't that fun. Fat encumbrance is unplayable so I'm keeping it around medium and most of the special weapons are just way too slow to be interesting.

I just got past O&S and I'm still using my starting Battle Axe (+10). Are there any FUN strength weapons? Or are they all just novel in how strong they are? What are the best ones?

Any other tips to make it interesting?

Drop your shield, go two handed, remove all armor until you achieve fast roll. If you don't mind locking your ring slots, havels + ring of favor should give you a huge encumbrance boost.

Strength weapons are usually slow but pack a punch. Good ones are the Large Club, the Great Club, Zweihander, Smough's hammer, Grant, Man Serpent Great Sword, Demon Machete, Demon Greataxe... just to name a few.

The thing is, you will be one shotting or two shotting almost everything, so swing speed isn't that important. Also, while the basic R1/R2 swings are megaslow, you can accelerate gameplay by using things like the roll+R1 move which is quite quick with several weapons.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Please tell me this hasn't been posted yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MatBCZ47wOY

It's a couple weeks old, but new to me. I had tears.

Hah! PC mods ftw eh? =D

Meanwhile, HULK! has just smashed the Four Kings. No shield, no armor but measly heavy boots. Power within, fire resin and +15 large club. Couple blows to the third king and it was over. Finally got Kaathe to spawn, for some reason or another, I had never spoken to him. Oh yeah, Sif didn't even register.

I'm realising one of the huge advantadges of going shieldless - only need 27 strength to hit the scaling softcap. That's 13 points for vit or end.

Anyways, gonna farm 30 humanity to ensure Solaire survives.

Centipede Demon, Bed of Chaos and Sif down tonight. Also managed to get Sumlight Maggot for the first time ever and took out crazy Solaire. I wanted him for the Gwyn fight too :(

Just Four Kings, and the DLC to go and I can finish my STR run. It's been fun, but I think I enjoyed regular Greatswords mixed with Pyro on my first character over Ultra Greatswords.

Might put DS down for a bit whilst I continue with Fallout 3, and think about what 3rd person action RPG I should play next, what do you think? (I have the following)

Witcher 2
Kingdoms of Amalar
Dragons Dogma
Dragon Age: Origins

I have only Kiln left to do (PS3 version here) regarding progress. Still haven't gone to the inside of that tree because I've read there's where all the crystal lizards are, and I don't want to fuck shit up by not killing any the first time I stumble inside that place.

So I've kept farming for a couple days to upgrade shit and level up. First humanity and souls at the Tomb of the Giants, and then souls and titanite chunks with the royal sentinels in Anor Londo. Wearing the chest helmet and CSSR really makes things easier with drops and souls.

Currently SL95 or so, 50 STR, 40 VIT, 30-ish END and 20 DEX. All other stats practically untouched. Rocking a zwei +15 and magical grass crest shield +10, used the favor armor for a while but then I got back to elite knight set and tried to max it out, only reaching +9 because the last upgrade requires ONE SLAB for each part of the set. Guess it's time to hit New Londo again. I'm tempted in trying to max a giant club i have at +14, this might be a good time to find out.

Booshka

I have only Kiln left to do (PS3 version here) regarding progress. Still haven't gone to the inside of that tree because I've read there's where all the crystal lizards are, and I don't want to fuck shit up by not killing any the first time I stumble inside that place.

So I've kept farming for a couple days to upgrade shit and level up. First humanity and souls at the Tomb of the Giants, and then souls and titanite chunks with the royal sentinels in Anor Londo. Wearing the chest helmet and CSSR really makes things easier with drops and souls.

Currently SL95 or so, 50 STR, 40 VIT, 30-ish END and 20 DEX. All other stats practically untouched. Rocking a zwei +15 and magical grass crest shield +10, used the favor armor for a while but then I got back to elite knight set and tried to max it out, only reaching +9 because the last upgrade requires ONE SLAB for each part of the set. Guess it's time to hit New Londo again. I'm tempted in trying to max a giant club i have at +14, this might be a good time to find out.

If you are gonna farm for regular Chunks, New Londo is definitely the place to do it because of the chance for Slab drops. I usually get one every 5-10 runs killing all the Darkwraiths.

The Crystal Lizards in the Great Hollow also have a really good chance to drop Titanite Slabs, best way to get them is a good bow and the slumbering dragon crest ring with 410 discovery. The ring will make you silent so you don't spook them as easy, and shooting them is usually easier than clanking your weapon off walls trying to hit them. It takes a lot of Quit and Reloading and homeward bone to bonfire to reset them, so be prepared to do that a lot, but they aren't too tough to get if you are persistent.

Good luck with slabs, and I wouldn't use them on armor, not really worth it.

Grinchy

Banned
So that PS3 patch didn't fix the flickering at all. What was the point of that? I haven't played this in forever and suddenly the game looks like complete shit. Fighting Gwyn is so distracting.

So that PS3 patch didn't fix the flickering at all. What was the point of that? I haven't played this in forever and suddenly the game looks like complete shit. Fighting Gwyn is so distracting.

That's stupid...I don't understand why they don't just roll back the initial changes that were made that caused the problem?

I'm on PC, so luckily I haven't had to deal with it. But I saw a video with it, and it looked terrible.

Grinchy

Banned
It's pretty bad because enemies that shoot fire often have invisible attacks now. I was actually going to clear up a few trophies and buy the DLC finally, but fuck that unless they finally fix this.

edit- apparently, from a very quick search, the new patch actually made things worse, but playing offline fixes the graphical glitches. I haven't actually tried it yet.

The patch isn't due to drop until Thursday are you sure you didn't just get the last one? Current ver. is 1.08, patch will be 1.09.

The flickering problem came before, got fixed then they patched again which broke it again, so the new one is incoming. (!)

kvn

Check your version... it's not on 1.09 yet isn't it?

Grinchy

Banned
Check your version... it's not on 1.09 yet isn't it?

Oh ok. I thought 1.08 was the new patch. I haven't played in forever so I shouldn't have made that assumption. I guess that's why people were saying 1.08 made things worse.

I take it back then. It is a really shitty issue, though.

If you are gonna farm for regular Chunks, New Londo is definitely the place to do it because of the chance for Slab drops. I usually get one every 5-10 runs killing all the Darkwraiths.

The Crystal Lizards in the Great Hollow also have a really good chance to drop Titanite Slabs, best way to get them is a good bow and the slumbering dragon crest ring with 410 discovery. The ring will make you silent so you don't spook them as easy, and shooting them is usually easier than clanking your weapon off walls trying to hit them. It takes a lot of Quit and Reloading and homeward bone to bonfire to reset them, so be prepared to do that a lot, but they aren't too tough to get if you are persistent.

Good luck with slabs, and I wouldn't use them on armor, not really worth it.
Well, color me surprised, I got the slab within my first run. In my third darkwraith, to be precise haha. With that I got my giant club to +15 and marveled at both its mastodontic slowness as well as its ungodly damage. I'm killing royal sentinels with one R2 hit, lol.

I think I'll be heading to the Hollow tonight. I only have a raw composite bow +5, though. Will that be enough?

I also checked out some MP shenanigans in Kiln, but got my ass handed down to me. There are dudes prancing around me with all kinds of weird weapons that burn, poison and hemorrhage at the same fucking time.

Booshka

Well, color me surprised, I got the slab within my first run. In my third darkwraith, to be precise haha. With that I got my giant club to +15 and marveled at both its mastodontic slowness as well as its ungodly damage. I'm killing royal sentinels with one R2 hit, lol.

I think I'll be heading to the Hollow tonight. I only have a raw composite bow +5, though. Will that be enough?

I also checked out some MP shenanigans in Kiln, but got my ass handed down to me. There are dudes prancing around me with all kinds of weird weapons that burn, poison and hemorrhage at the same fucking time.

I would revert that composite bow and upgrade it to +10 then up to +14 with Chunks. Just farm a little more in New Londo to upgrade it.

EDIT: Wanted to post an entertaining Dark Souls vid from a Streamer I watch frequently, he is very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pKBTqCF1Rs

I'm finally getting around to playing through again in order to check out the DLC. Just cleared Sen's and have materials ready to make a Lightning Zwei +5.

I'm excited to go into the DLC areas having read very little about them. However, are there any items I should be getting to make the area more fun/less annoying (i.e. light source for the Tomb, rusted ring for Blightown)? Recommended SL?

dreamfall

Been posting on the gaming side, but wanted to re-post this from earlier today:
Alright, I hit the 100th hour of my first playthrough. And I turned in my souls for the
Lord Vessel
, and there's only one thing that awaits.

SPOILERS FOLLOW- should I tag? We've been pretty lax in our discussion here?

But I can't seem to go through that door.
I don't what it was, but I really didn't like the Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith- they just felt kind of uninspired? Which, for me, was the first time in the entire game that I felt that way. These bosses also weren't difficult- perhaps it's a better understanding of the game mechanics, or that the fights themselves felt strangely dull after the Tomb of the Giants & Crystal Caves. The Bed of Chaos was one of the strangest fights thus far- and just felt weird. The repeating of the Asylum Demon (WITH FIRE! RAWR!) and the Centipede Demon didn't feel rewarding- which is just strange! After completing the area (sidenote: I'm not a big fan of fire ruins in any game- which is why maybe I felt this way...), I decided that it was time to join a new covenant.

And the Blade of the Darkmoon sure did suffice. Placing that ring on, and getting summoned to invade the guilty feels so awesome. I won one fight in four, and that was the biggest rush I felt in the game since Smough & Ornstein! I'm at level 113 now, and I'm wondering what I should do before finishing up. I've got all this white titanite that I didn't use, and some red titante slab too! And I kind of love (having memorized the locations of every enemy) just running about slaughtering everything- it feels good after so much struggle early in the game. I just want to keep invading the guilty!

I think my favorite area remains the Painted World. It feels so calming- the utter opposite of that fire hell! I'm not sure I can beat the final boss.

But I also don't want this to end.

Booshka

Demon Ruins and especially Lost Izalith are agreed upon to be the worst copy paste thrown together levels in the game. Even the devs are embarrassed by it. Bed of Chaos is nonsense as well, whole area is pretty bad, I just try to get through it as fast as possible every time.

Sullichin

Been posting on the gaming side, but wanted to re-post this from earlier today:
Alright, I hit the 100th hour of my first playthrough. And I turned in my souls for the
Lord Vessel
, and there's only one thing that awaits.

SPOILERS FOLLOW- should I tag? We've been pretty lax in our discussion here?

But I can't seem to go through that door.
I don't what it was, but I really didn't like the Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith- they just felt kind of uninspired? Which, for me, was the first time in the entire game that I felt that way. These bosses also weren't difficult- perhaps it's a better understanding of the game mechanics, or that the fights themselves felt strangely dull after the Tomb of the Giants & Crystal Caves. The Bed of Chaos was one of the strangest fights thus far- and just felt weird. The repeating of the Asylum Demon (WITH FIRE! RAWR!) and the Centipede Demon didn't feel rewarding- which is just strange! After completing the area (sidenote: I'm not a big fan of fire ruins in any game- which is why maybe I felt this way...), I decided that it was time to join a new covenant.

And the Blade of the Darkmoon sure did suffice. Placing that ring on, and getting summoned to invade the guilty feels so awesome. I won one fight in four, and that was the biggest rush I felt in the game since Smough & Ornstein! I'm at level 113 now, and I'm wondering what I should do before finishing up. I've got all this white titanite that I didn't use, and some red titante slab too! And I kind of love (having memorized the locations of every enemy) just running about slaughtering everything- it feels good after so much struggle early in the game. I just want to keep invading the guilty!

I think my favorite area remains the Painted World. It feels so calming- the utter opposite of that fire hell! I'm not sure I can beat the final boss.

But I also don't want this to end.

- Lost Izalith is pretty much universally considered to be the worst area of the game.
- I like Demon Ruins but I know what you mean.
- Before fighting the final boss upgrade all of the weapons you want as much as you can, because in NG+ you will have to get the embers again. Also, kill any remaining fire keepers for their souls, and you might as well kill some NPCs too for souls or their unique drops (blacksmiths drop their hammers, for example)
- Dark Souls never ends. If you get really into invading you can easily double your current playtime with this character doing pvp alone. Plus NG+, and new builds.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I understand the Bed of Chaos hate, but I'll never understand why people hate the rest of Lost Izalith. What's wrong with it?

It's just really lazily designed. A lot of it feels like they just copy and paste plastered enemies all over. The stupid dragon legs are just randomly all over, and then past them you have the statue enemies that are nothing more than an annoyance to take down.

Grinchy

Banned
It does seem like the half-dino enemies were just stupidly and randomly placed, but I actually like the area other than that. Obviously, the first half of the game and Duke's/Anor Londo are way better designed than the rest, but I think there are still some good points of the crappy areas.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The non-lava part of Lost Izalith is kinda neat, I dig the ruins's look, though the statue enemies are a bit too weak. The poison pit is also not badly designed but the Siegmeyer quest is very annoying, it'd be better without it. And yes the boss is the worst in the game by far, stupid gimmick design. Invading in that area is fun, though.

The lava part, though... uuuugh. Those dinosaurs are infuriating (why can't I lock on even when it's right in my face? argh!) and are better off just being avoided than fought simply because it's too tedious, the lava glows too bright and hurts the eyes, and then you have the KRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRR

aravuus

Finally got around checking this game out after some people said I'd probably like it since I really liked Dragon's Dogma.

Just (somehow) beat the taurus demon and this game is pretty fucking sweet! It's ridiculously hard and I usually don't like too hard games but man, this is way too awesome. Loving the atmosphere.

e: yeah okay, maybe i shouldn't pick fights with enemies whose swords are bigger than me

Soulhouf

The non-lava part of Lost Izalith is kinda neat, I dig the ruins's look, though the statue enemies are a bit too weak. The poison pit is also not badly designed but the Siegmeyer quest is very annoying, it'd be better without it. And yes the boss is the worst in the game by far, stupid gimmick design. Invading in that area is fun, though.

The lava part, though... uuuugh. Those dinosaurs are infuriating (why can't I lock on even when it's right in my face? argh!) and are better off just being avoided than fought simply because it's too tedious, the lava glows too bright and hurts the eyes, and then you have the KRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRRKRRRR

Haha that sound is amazing.
Every time I get invaded in Lost Izalith, I hear the invader doing that sound and struggling through the area with his HP meter decreasing and visible from miles afar.

aravuus

hahaha did you walk up the tower nearby and find a big black knight?

That one yeah. I felt good for the first 30 seconds of the fight, dodging around, dealing random blows when he suddenly just smashes my face in, killing me with two quick hits :V

Now I found some gold pine resin though and I really want to try him again lol

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Every time I get invaded in Lost Izalith, I hear the invader doing that sound and struggling through the area with his HP meter decreasing and visible from miles afar.

I wait at the ruins area. Not gonna bother with the lava pool.

Besides, the branch leading into the ruins is perfect to ambush players - with nowhere to roll, my large club just stomps them. I once killed the same phantom 5 times in a row until I ran out of hp haha.

Zertez

Just when I thought I was finished with Dark Souls for a couple months at least, I get pulled back in after watching part of a speed run. I have beat the game countless times with all kinds of builds and handicaps, but still I cant stop playing it. Outside of a MMO addiction, it is tough to remember a single player game that keeps drawing me back even though I know pretty much every inch of the game. Final Fantasy Tactics is about the only other single player game that has kept me playing time and time again.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Haha, there are dumbasses invading from the beginning of the area? Waste of time and it damages your armour way too fast overtime. I always spawn either on the platform above the bonfire, or at the boss fog gate.

aravuus

Whoops, I accidentally killed the dude at the bottom of the bell tower, after the gargoyle boss. Hope he wasn't important..

e: oh my god hahaha, he even dropped an item called the book of the guilty

fuck you dark souls! :V

e2: ohhhhh he's the only way to make hostile npcs happy again? great. well then, guess i just have to avoid hitting people with my sword from now on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom