• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulhouf

It's still good in the early game for beginners.

And later they come complaining because their weapon is weak.
Drake Sword is everything but a beginner weapon because they neglect doing upgrades when they get it. The upgrade system is one of the most important mechanics in the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
And later they come complaining because their weapon is weak.
Drake Sword is everything but a beginner weapon because they neglect doing upgrades when they get it. The upgrade system is one of the most important mechanics in the game.

It is, but to be fair, the developers didn't do a very good job of making that clear.

aravuus

WTF.
Why are there still people who use the Drake Sword?
Who is still recommending that piece of crap?

Well it uh, made the first areas very easy? I think it's a very valid reason. I'm not dumb enough to think a single weapon would last me the whole game.

AlexBasch

WTF.
Why are there still people who use the Drake Sword?
Who is still recommending that piece of crap?
Worked pretty well until Blighttown, but I just found the lightning spear in Sen's Fortress and since it has elemental damage, has real good attack stats and I'm really comfortable with spears, I barely use it now. :) Heck, even a +8-9 spear is around 200 if you have enough STR/DEX.

They also didn't make the Drake sword that easy to find, but thanks to the wiki that sword is all over the place...
Heh, since I come from Demon's Souls I thought I would need like 400 arrows to get rid of that dragon and advance through the bridge, I shot the tail for the hell of it and lo' and behold, U GOTZ DA DRAKE SWORD YAY.

Only time I have been using the wiki is to learn the upgrade system, it's kinda confusing right now and I'm afraid of using rare, one-time materials on a shitty weapon. :/

Alright, so here's something weird. I get to Seath and die because one hit but I questioned why striking his tail wasn't damaging him and wondered if his tail was even a thing. Youtubed and noticed that it looked like the player crossed a clouded barrier to get to the arena where as my trek always had tiny shadowed crystal men visible from afar. Was this just not clear in the YT vid or was I missing and effect?

PS, I saw the player strike the glowing object, smacked my forehead and exited the vid.

Edit. I see, once engaged, a cloud appears. Weird.

Edit 2. Awww, despite only attacking his back tail, I never chopped it off but killed him. Sucks. What'd I miss?

Kwixotik

So the good news is I just rang the second bell of awakening for the very first time. The bad news is, I'm back home instead of at school and my PS3 and router don't get along - no more online play for me.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It's still good in the early game for beginners.

It's not.

They don't learn the basics of combat against the easy stuff in the parish and they tend to skip the upgrade system.

By the time you hit Blighttown you can get +10 weapons easily and they all outperform both the drake and the lightning spear. The lightning spear is another nasty trap, once you reach the end of Anor Londo and hit Pikachu for 30 damage because he's practically immune to lightning damage.

In my opinion the master key and the drake sword are tools for further playthroughs but not a good thing to recommend to beginners.

I like to watch blind playthroughs on youtube and well, people get owned by Quelllog's and have a lot of trouble because they're barely hitting for anything with the drake.

edit: also these people tend not to try different weapons for fear of losing damage and they end up not realizing of the different styles and movesets of weapons like spears, 2handers, hammers, axes, etc. It's very detrimental IMHO.

fresquito

So something weird happened to me. I was playing, when I found a corpse (nothing new) and after harvesting it, a soul invasion (or something like that) happened. A player came by and killed me. Lost all my souls and... that's it. WTF?

Awww, despite only attacking his back tail, I never chopped it off but killed him. Sucks. What'd I miss?
The tail cut is the Moonlight Great Sword, cool sword with unique attacks but only useful for magic users. You have to cut the tip of the tail for it to cut off, attacking it closer to the base won't do.

So something weird happened to me. I was playing, when I found a corpse (nothing new) and after harvesting it, a soul invasion (or something like that) happened. A player came by and killed me. Lost all my souls and... that's it. WTF?
You got invaded by another player (it didn't have anything to do with the item you pillaged, just coincidence).

Your souls are with your bloodstain, get back to it without dying and you regain your souls.

aravuus

In my opinion the master key and the drake sword are tools for further playthroughs but not a good thing to recommend to beginners.

I took the master key as my gift and I loved it. You get this tingly feeling of fear and excitement every time you get to open a door with it since you never really know what's waiting for you. I got Havel's Ring thanks to it too which is pretty sweet!

You only regain them when you get invaded, isn't it? Thanks.
Whenever and however you die you get sent back to the last bonfire you rested and a bloodstain is left in the approx area you died - all your souls and humanity (the big number top left on the HUD) are held in your bloodstain. If you get back and collect the bloodstain you lose nothing, if you die again before reaching it, those souls are lost and a new bloodstain is created.

If you were killed by an invader, that means you were in human form (can only be invaded whilst human). As you died in human form, you are now hollow (your character looks like a zombie) and will only become human again when you "reverse hollow" through the bonfire menu, which costs 1 humanity.

Soulhouf

It is, but to be fair, the developers didn't do a very good job of making that clear.

That's very true. Demon's Souls was better in that respect.

Well it uh, made the first areas very easy? I think it's a very valid reason. I'm not dumb enough to think a single weapon would last me the whole game.

Consider yourself lucky since you got the Black Knight Sword, otherwise Blighttown and especially Sen's Fortress would be a nightmare with Drake Sword for 1st time players.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I took the master key as my gift and I loved it. You get this tingly feeling of fear and excitement every time you get to open a door with it since you never really know what's waiting for you. I got Havel's Ring thanks to it too which is pretty sweet!

You can open that door with the key that's by the butterfly boss. It's not like you have to wait a lot for the ring.

fresquito

Whenever and however you die you get sent back to the last bonfire you rested and a bloodstain is left in the approx area you died - all your souls and humanity (the big number top left on the HUD) are held in your bloodstain. If you get back and collect the bloodstain you lose nothing, if you die again before reaching it, those souls are lost and a new bloodstain is created.

If you were killed by an invader, that means you were in human form (can only be invaded whilst human). As you died in human form, you are now hollow (your character looks like a zombie) and will only become human again when you "reverse hollow" through the bonfire menu, which costs 1 humanity.
Thanks for the explanation. I thought you lost humanity and souls forever when killed.

aravuus

You can open that door with the key that's by the butterfly boss. It's not like you have to wait a lot for the ring.

Yes I know, but that's aside the point. It was unlocked from the very beginning, which I love. I mean I totally get why people say first timers shouldn't pick master key, all I'm saying is I loved it. If an RPG has a lockpick skill or whatever, I always max it out asap.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Lol... I'm actually having some trouble in the Fortress with my caster character. Usually this place is a breeze with any build (even no shield dual bandit knives) but without any bow/crossbow I'm struggling in some spots. Partly because I'm a little impatient and partly because the lock-on mechanic in this game is so crappy at times. So I can't get off my magic and my character is basically naked with 10 vit... I can't absorb a single hit and survive. Even a wooden shield block against one lighting shot basically kills me.

Why do I punish myself... lol.

Piano

Banned
You should get the Heater shield. It's the lightest 100% physical defense shield. I used it nearly the entire playthrough with my mage.

Is it possible for Vince and Nico to go Hollow while still in Firelink? Basically I just played all the way up to Gwyn...but I skipped the Depths. And I just went back to kill Capra, which is supposed to make Rhea's whole entourage appear in Firelink. But now the two of them attack me on sight.

I'm wondering if I should go back to Tomb of the Giants and see if they appear there, or if I can just kill them in Firelink and get the same miracle reward from Rhea.

Quoting this since I think I got buried at the bottom of the last page...anyone have any ideas?

Quoting this since I think I got buried at the bottom of the last page...anyone have any ideas?

I've never heard of that happening...do they look hollow? I know that if they are hostile for other reasons (if you attack them or whatever) they say stuff. Were they silent like they are in the Tomb of the Giants, or did they say something?

Do you know if you may have accidentally hit one of them with something to make them go hostile? You may want to go to Oswald and see if having your sins forgiven stops them from being hostile, if you have the souls to spare.

Not sure if I've ever had that exactly, but there's certainly a point where they go hostile. I can't remember if it was all 3 of them, but I definately remember getting Rhea hostile there, AFTER killing her in the Parish, lol. When you do things "out of order" sometimes things can go a bit koo-koo.

I certainly think if you kill them at Firelink - at any point, that will sour Rhea and she will not sell her miracles.

I have dark souls on the ps3 (first edition, not the Prepare To Die, so I have no DLC) and I was thinking about buying the Prepare To Die edition on the PC since it's on sale on Amazon. Do you think it's worth it or should I stick with the ps3? I heard that the 60fps fix on the PC version may cause problems

I've never heard of that happening...do they look hollow? I know that if they are hostile for other reasons (if you attack them or whatever) they say stuff. Were they silent like they are in the Tomb of the Giants, or did they say something?

Do you know if you may have accidentally hit one of them with something to make them go hostile? You may want to go to Oswald and see if having your sins forgiven stops them from being hostile, if you have the souls to spare.

Hmm, I definitely didn't attack them, since they hadn't even shown up until now, since I killed Capra, and they are immediately hostile. I will try going to Oswald though. I will also try to get a better look at them to see if they are hollow...when they rushed at me I just ran away immediately. They did not say anything, though.

If you attack or kill the guy that's there at the beginning of the game they will be hostile.

This is a possibility...I started this playthrough ages ago and can't say for sure. I don't know why I would have killed him in the first place, but hopefully Oswald would fix it.

Not sure if I've ever had that exactly, but there's certainly a point where they go hostile. I can't remember if it was all 3 of them, but I definately remember getting Rhea hostile there, AFTER killing her in the Parish, lol. When you do things "out of order" sometimes things can go a bit koo-koo.

I certainly think if you kill them at Firelink - at any point, that will sour Rhea and she will not sell her miracles.

Okay, thanks. Hopefully I can get them back to normal then and kill them properly in the tomb.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Okay so Vince and Nico are NOT Hollow...but they don't say anything when they attack me. Oswald pardoned all my sins, and they STILL attack me. So I went down into Patches' hole in the Tomb of the Giants, and no one was there...

Not sure what I should do at this point, or maybe I'm screwed on them for this playthrough?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
It's not.

They don't learn the basics of combat against the easy stuff in the parish and they tend to skip the upgrade system.

By the time you hit Blighttown you can get +10 weapons easily and they all outperform both the drake and the lightning spear. The lightning spear is another nasty trap, once you reach the end of Anor Londo and hit Pikachu for 30 damage because he's practically immune to lightning damage.

I like to watch blind playthroughs on youtube and well, people get owned by Quelllog's and have a lot of trouble because they're barely hitting for anything with the drake.

edit: also these people tend not to try different weapons for fear of losing damage and they end up not realizing of the different styles and movesets of weapons like spears, 2handers, hammers, axes, etc. It's very detrimental IMHO.

My first playthrough was on PC. I used the Drake Sword. It was incredibly helpful for easing me into the game.

I've now clocked 100 hours into the game and have gone through multiple play throughs. I probably wouldn't have gotten that far without first having the Drake Sword.

You can't make a blanket statement that it is not helpful for beginners.

Kwixotik

Just beat the Iron Golem

Equipment:
Uchigatana +10 / Pyromancy Flame
Knight Shield +5
Black Iron Set
Havel's Ring
Ring of Steel Protection

Stats:
SL 40
Vit 12
Att 12
End 30
Str 14
Dex 23
Res 12
Int 10
Faith 10

Any recommended equipment upgrades? Also, what stats should I dump souls into?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I don't think I've submitted this here before, but I thought some of you might appreciate it.

gold_tracer_by_alo81-d65v32a.gif

I rendered the game at a superbly high frame rate so I could add smoooooth slow motion.

I don't think I've submitted this here before, but I thought some of you might appreciate it.

gold_tracer_by_alo81-d65v32a.gif

I rendered the game at a superbly high frame rate so I could add smoooooth slow motion.

That's amazing, I love all your GIFs.

Do you take requests? You know the Black Knight in the kiln with the greataxe? Sometimes he does that jumping attack, which you can parry. I'd love to see a slow motion gif of that parry.

Just beat the Iron Golem

Equipment:
Uchigatana +10 / Pyromancy Flame
Knight Shield +5
Black Iron Set
Havel's Ring
Ring of Steel Protection

Stats:
SL 40
Vit 12
Att 12
End 30
Str 14
Dex 23
Res 12
Int 10
Faith 10

Any recommended equipment upgrades? Also, what stats should I dump souls into?
Keep upgrading the Uchi if you like it, get the very large ember and upgrade it all the way. As for stats I would put some points into Attunement since you're using pyromancy (and fully upgrade the flame, and buy the bellowing/lingering rings if you don't have them already). You will probably want more in vitality for Anor Londo, but if you've been on base(?) VIT so far, you seem to know your stuff, so maybe more points in Dex for the scale bonus on that Uchi. Points into VIT/END never hurts for any type of character though.

AlexBasch

Pardon my ignorance, but it's that a Scimitar variation? I got one and never bothered to try it but I liked the strong attack being two quick slices.

Uggggh, I got Kalameet's tail solo and upgraded it to +5. I'm having trouble actually killing him. The netcode for PC is so bad, I haven't been able to summon anyone. With the network fix, it only seems to help if the other person is on your GFWL friends?

Pardon my ignorance, but it's that a Scimitar variation? I got one and never bothered to try it but I liked the strong attack being two quick slices.
No, its the Gold Tracer from the DLC.

Edit: Also, there are too many Dark Souls threads, I never know where to post what.

Continuing my first PC/Sorcerer playthrough: did everything up to the gargoyles, Black Knight with the long sword was surprisingly scary. Upgraded my weapon to Reinforced Club plus 5 and got owned by the Gargoyles because I was too cocky.

One annoying invader, getting owned and running away to heal with Humanities. I was so close killing him 4 times but always he got away because I didn't want to aggro the enemies. Oh well.

Goddamn I love Dark Souls and now it is even better thanks to Durante

Ruuppa

Going to head to meet Sanctuary Guardian later today, could be fun without using a shield. His combos are pretty hard to dodge. Anyone done that here?

Dyno

After sinking about 40 hours into the flabby and paceless Dragon's Dogma I am back to playing the real deal; Dark Souls! Praise the sun, y'all!

This time I am playing Strength and Faith. I'll boost them both up to 50 in time. Playstyle and preference aside, I am interested in what you think are the best divine, lightning, and fire weapons to build? I know when it comes to elemental weapons the bigger is usually the better, what about divine weapons? What do you look for in stat ratings to make it ideal for divine?

Also how do weapons like Astora Straight Sword, Crescent Axe, and Grant compare with fully upgraded weapons that you build yourself?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
After sinking about 40 hours into the flabby and paceless Dragon's Dogma I am back to playing the real deal; Dark Souls! Praise the sun, y'all!

This time I am playing Strength and Faith. I'll boost them both up to 50 in time. Playstyle and preference aside, I am interested in what you think are the best divine, lightning, and fire weapons to build? I know when it comes to elemental weapons the bigger is usually the better, what about divine weapons? What do you look for in stat ratings to make it ideal for divine?

Also how do weapons like Astora Straight Sword, Crescent Axe, and Grant compare with fully upgraded weapons that you build yourself?

Astora Straight Sword is ASS (oh wow that's an accurate acronym) for anything other than early game. Even if you dump a bunch of TT into it, it still sucks. Imo.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect pretty much any weapon in the game would be better if you ascended it yourself.

The other two, idk. But ASS is ASS.

ZeroCoin

Just a heads up to xbox owners. May 28th through June 3rd the xbox live gold deals for the week include dark souls on demand (price unknown right now) and the DLC for 50% off.

Link

Going to head to meet Sanctuary Guardian later today, could be fun without using a shield. His combos are pretty hard to dodge. Anyone done that here?

I killed him wearing only two Caestus once. My recommendation is just to dodge almost all of his attacks, and only attack him when he does that attack where he stands up and blows a bunch of wind at you with his wings. If you can dodge it, he's stationary for long enough to get two or three hits in without any danger. Most of his other attacks are a tad too dangerous to be attacking him during, without a shield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom