• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about starting a new game (even if I haven't finished the last one) because I played the game again after a long time and I don't like so much the character I had done. I wanna try a dex build with a katana, what's the best choice?

ArynCrinn

Banned
I"M BACK! Need to get back to finishing up all my runs but there's just such a fucking backlog, but at the same time I don't want to get rusty...

Shazzam6999

Neo Member
I feel like sorcery starts off hard, but then becomes way too easy and overpowered (for PVE).

Especially with the Artorias of the Abyss DLC spells. I killed Gwyn while he was doing his initial charge on a level 50 sorc. One Crystal Soul Spear and a single set of pursuers. Pop. Most of the bosses died with a single cast of pursuers. Which is pretty boring considering you don't even have to aim them.

Hobobloke

I'm thinking about starting a new game (even if I haven't finished the last one) because I played the game again after a long time and I don't like so much the character I had done. I wanna try a dex build with a katana, what's the best choice?

You can kill the first merchant for a katana early on.

Sullichin

yeah I know, it's a uchigatana, my question was about which katana in the game is the best to level up

Uchigatana has a higher AR at 40DEX than the Iaito (420 vs 410). Chaos Blade has 452AR with 40DEX/10 Humanity if you don't mind the health loss. Iaito has a better R2 than uchi. Uchi seems to be the most popular.

Concept17

Quick probably annoying question: I only played Demon's Souls. Was thinking about getting this on PC in hopes to play with a friend. Is this viable or is it difficult to play with friends in the PC version?

Ruuppa

yeah I know, it's a uchigatana, my question was about which katana in the game is the best to level up

Washing Pole has the greatest reach out of them all, but only has D/C scaling. Needs a bit of investment in Str as well, but it's an interesting weapon.
Quick probably annoying question: I only played Demon's Souls. Was thinking about getting this on PC in hopes to play with a friend. Is this viable or is it difficult to play with friends in the PC version?

There's a mod that allows you to play almost instantaneously with people on your GFWL -friendlist. Haven't tried it yet, but I hear good things. Here's a link to it: http://darksouls.nexusmods.com/mods/334/?

So finally beat the game a second time (not NG+ because my previous save got mixed up). This time with a super mage (INT 50, Tin Crystalization Catalyst, Logons gear/sorceries) and his enchanted +5 Uchigatana. Didn't have any serious problems at around SL 97 but my PVP skills are not worth mentioning. Overall I say Dark Souls is one of the best games I have ever played.

I feel I left so much out by fully exploring covenants and PVP fighting but I didn't want to make a fool out of myself on Twitch so I only helped out others especially in Anor Londo. I always thought you have to complete a "boss" to help others but it seems you don't because otherwise there wouldn't be so many signs at Kiln.

Grinchy

Banned
I've been working on finishing up the trophies for this game. I'm doing the all weapons trophy on my original DEX character. I just realized I needed Ornstein's soul instead of Smough's, so now I have to do another playthrough just for that one soul.

Ruuppa

Washing Pole has the highest AR of all the Japanese swords with 40 dex and 40 str (or 27 str 2H).
It's a bit slower than Ushigatana/Iaito/Chaos Blade but has an insane reach.

6 AR more than Uchi/Iaito isn't worth investing 24 extra Str. Make it elemental and call it a day.

AlexBasch

Just joined the forest covenant, got the ring and almost instantly invaded another players.

Maybe it's my bad luck, but is there a reason to always run into people that have ridiculously overpowered weapons? I was wearing the Havel armor (I'm a warrior with focus on strenght) and I got horribly one shotted by almost everyone who I invaded. I'm guessing armor means jack shit in PVP?

I think I might avoid PVP completely, I never won a match out of like...50 or so in Demon's Souls. @_@ Most of them were in 3-3. Everyone steamrolled me and got that world cleared, you're welcome, strangers.

Soulhouf

Thanks to everyone that answered me, one more noob question: what's AR for? Attack Range?

Attack Rating or how powerful your attack is.

6 AR more than Uchi/Iaito isn't worth investing 24 extra Str. Make it elemental and call it a day.

Of course it's worth it because there are other awesome weapons you can use efficiently with these stats. Quality build is for pure physic damage. I made all sort builds and tried every weapon but ended up coming back to my quality build, simply because it's the most efficient.

Ruuppa

Of course it's worth it because there are other awesome weapons you can use efficiently with these stats. Quality build is for pure physic damage. I made all sort builds and tried every weapon but ended up coming back to my quality build, simply because it's the most efficient.

If you're going for a Quality build which can use lots of weapons, sure. But if you're specializing in certain types of weapons, like Katanas as he is, and trying to keep in co-op/PVP range, those 24SL can easily turn into ~300 extra health. Or some extra spells or whatever. Point being: For him, the 6 extra AR isn't worth pumping Str to 40.

Even for other builds, 40Vit/End/Str/Dex is gonna land you into ~115SL, which leaves you with only a few levels to play around with if you want to stay in range for Online. Great for physical melee but that's about it.
Goddamn it.... now getting to the valley of the drakes is a bitch without the firelink on that spot...

You could use the elevator from Darkroot Basin, there's a Bonfire right next to it.

Soulhouf

If you're going for a Quality build which can use lots of weapons, sure. But if you're specializing in certain types of weapons, like Katanas as he is, and trying to keep in co-op/PVP range, those 24SL can easily turn into ~300 extra health. Or some extra spells or whatever. Point being: For him, the 6 extra AR isn't worth pumping Str to 40.

Even for other builds, 40Vit/End/Str/Dex is gonna land you into ~115SL, which leaves you with only a few levels to play around with if you want to stay in range for Online. Great for physical melee but that's about it.

With 28 str and 40 dex you're left with a lot of point to distribute as you like:
https://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=180877875570685334

Soulhouf

I thought we were talking about going full-hog with 40Str/40Dex to squeeze that extra AR out of the Washing Pole, 28 sounds much more reasonable. Unless, again, you're going with weapon types without Str scaling.

2H my friend. I rarely attack 1H these days, especially in PvP. 2H is so OP especially for weapons that have str scaling (even those which doesn't, they have a hidden flat bonus damage).
27 is enough but I add 1 point to be able to 1H Murakumo because that weapon is so awesome.

Ruuppa

2H my friend. I rarely attack 1H these days, especially in PvP. 2H is so OP especially for weapons that have str scaling (even those which doesn't, they have a hidden flat bonus damage).
27 is enough but I add 1 point to be able to 1H Murakumo because that weapon is so awesome.

That Poise break from 2H is delicious, especially with the heavy weapons. Damn hard to land a hit with those though, everyone's just flipping everywhere and fishing for stabs every time my heavy guy gets to fight.

What's the general consensus on SL limit these days? I've been trying to keep at a flat 100, but I've seen anywhere between 100 - 120 floated around.

Soulhouf

That Poise break from 2H is delicious, especially with the heavy weapons. Damn hard to land a hit with those though, everyone's just flipping everywhere and fishing for stabs every time my heavy guy gets to fight.

What's the general consensus on SL limit these days? I've been trying to keep at a flat 100, but I've seen anywhere between 100 - 120 floated around.

SL120-125 is still the norm for PvP. You'll always see high activity at that level.

I need help. Just after the second bonfire in the Tomb of Giants, I see a glowing item up on a ledge but havent figured out how to reach it. Any hints?

Also, Gatdamn those little buggers further on with those magic flame shooting bastards.

Just joined the forest covenant, got the ring and almost instantly invaded another players.

Maybe it's my bad luck, but is there a reason to always run into people that have ridiculously overpowered weapons? I was wearing the Havel armor (I'm a warrior with focus on strenght) and I got horribly one shotted by almost everyone who I invaded. I'm guessing armor means jack shit in PVP?

I think I might avoid PVP completely, I never won a match out of like...50 or so in Demon's Souls. @_@ Most of them were in 3-3. Everyone steamrolled me and got that world cleared, you're welcome, strangers.

The forest is a no holds barred kinda place. Hornet backstabs, 2v1s and even 3v1s are very common. It's brutal but also a good learning experience if you can have fun with it; not worry about dying so much. I've played this game an embarrassing amount of hours and I still die all the time in the forest, so don't let it discourage you :p though that Demon's Souls stat does seem kinda bad...

The cat covenant ring allows you to invade anyone that's a higher level than you so occasionally you're going to be invading high level hosts

If you have the red sign soapstone you could place that in the arena close to the Undead Burg bonfire, it's a popular spot for honourable duels

Kwixotik

I'm in Lost Izalith now. Still haven't decided if I'm going to stop before the last boss fight. I want to play the DLC, but I have no internet connection with which to download the DLC...

anastazius

Neo Member
I need help. Just after the second bonfire in the Tomb of Giants, I see a glowing item up on a ledge but havent figured out how to reach it. Any hints?

Also, Gatdamn those little buggers further on with those magic flame shooting bastards.

There is a way to reach it from slightly further back in the level which involves falling off a ledge onto another platform then going round to reach that item. To be honest I'd use a YouTube video for guidance unless you want a lot of total and error leaps of faith.

Ruuppa

The cat covenant ring allows you to invade anyone that's a higher level than you so occasionally you're going to be invading high level hosts

I was under the assumption that the ring allows invasion of anyone, regardless of SL, that isn't in the covenant who's in the forest as human.
Edit: Just read up on it, and the formula seems to be normal Co-op range below and anything above your SL. So if you're 100, you can invade 80 to 713.

There is a way to reach it from slightly further back in the level which involves falling off a ledge onto another platform then going round to reach that item. To be honest I'd use a YouTube video for guidance unless you want a lot of total and error leaps of faith.

And here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM52bov94E8

I was under the assumption that the ring allows invasion of anyone, regardless of SL, that isn't in the covenant who's in the forest as human.
Edit: Just read up on it, and the formula seems to be normal Co-op range below and anything above your SL. So if you're 100, you can invade 80 to 713.

And here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM52bov94E8

Thanks guys. Guess I had the right idea backtracking until I died and stopped for the night.

Pegasos123

did the new patch fix the flickering issue?
I, my girlfriend and a buddy had a dark souls session about a couple weeks ago and it wasnt fun at all :-/

Gamertag SSolitare on PS3.

Can anyone hook me up with a Black Knight Great Axe or help me transfer please?

SL 100 is char with equip, wanna transfer to SL36.

did the new patch fix the flickering issue?
I, my girlfriend and a buddy had a dark souls session about a couple weeks ago and it wasnt fun at all :-/
Yeah it's fixed now.

I wasn't planning to, but I kept playing in NG+ for a bit. Holy shit I got invaded like three times in the Undead Burg. I won once!
Then I died many times trying to kill the red dragon at the bridge. I figured at SL110 and with a big melee build it'd be easier taking him down. I guess it wasn't. Does it give you something nice if you kill him?

Yeah it's fixed now.

I wasn't planning to, but I kept playing in NG+ for a bit. Holy shit I got invaded like three times in the Undead Burg. I won once!
Then I died many times trying to kill the red dragon at the bridge. I figured at SL110 and with a big melee build it'd be easier taking him down. I guess it wasn't. Does it give you something nice if you kill him?

Drake Sword :D

You need to hit his head, then he goes down fairly quickly.

If you install the DSC fix (linked by someone above), it works absolutely perfectly. Not a single issue.

Best thing about the game on the PC IMO.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm 2 trophies away from the plat (rare weapons and all miracles). I am 2 weapons away from the weapon trophy and I already have the soul for one of them. I have a faith character that is about 40% of the way through getting all miracles.

This has felt like much more of a pain in the ass than Demon's Souls for some reason.

Seance

Banned
The netcode in this game...... Americans roll after the act on all my strength weapons and euros are immune to damage more or less, lol.

Grinchy

Banned
The netcode in this game...... Americans roll after the act on all my strength weapons and euros are immune to damage more or less, lol.

PvP in this game is completely worthless IMO. It's not only laggy as all hell most of the time, but when it doesn't lag, it's just some idiot spamming Dark Beads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom