• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

In my 2000 or so hours playing this game I have come to the conclusion that the Xbox 360 version has the best netcode of all. I find PS3 PvP extremely frustrating and nearly unplayable a lot of the time, PC is dead as fuck and takes forever to get invasions. Also, it's duels for days on PC, so no fun random invasions or ganker fights.

360 is the most consistent and manageable, I got used to the lag and it isn't too insane most of the time. There are a lot of just shit fights that are laggy, mostly against people across the globe, but anyone in North America with a decent connection usually leads to a good fight.

Arjen

I started another new character yesterday, and it's really amazing how active the game still is, tons of summon signs, i'm gettting summoned pretty fast an even helped out some brand new players. Really makes playing a new character fun.

Zertez

In my 2000 or so hours playing this game I have come to the conclusion that the Xbox 360 version has the best netcode of all. I find PS3 PvP extremely frustrating and nearly unplayable a lot of the time, PC is dead as fuck and takes forever to get invasions. Also, it's duels for days on PC, so no fun random invasions or ganker fights.

360 is the most consistent and manageable, I got used to the lag and it isn't too insane most of the time. There are a lot of just shit fights that are laggy, mostly against people across the globe, but anyone in North America with a decent connection usually leads to a good fight.
I agree somewhat, the 360 is usually the most stable if you get a North American opponent, but it is filled with gankers/cheaters and people looking for the millisecond of lag so they can bs you. Dont get me wrong PS3 has its share of gankers, but I have the most fair fights on the PS3. I have lagged out and people didnt take advantage, the 360 players would have jumped all over the chance. The netcode in general is pretty bad to expect many fair fights though on any system.

With the insane damage a bs can cause, a fair even playing field is pretty much a pipe dream. Every once and awhile it happens, and most of those fights are pure magic and fun, but they happen so rarely. There is just too many ways to cheat, hack, gank or whatever you want to call it on top of the poor netcode to have fair pvp fights in Dark Souls. They can be fun, but I wouldnt put too much stock into pvp fights in Dark Souls. Hopefully this will change in Dark Souls 2. Even with its flaws I have put so much time into this game and continue to sink countless hours into the game online and off.

Seance

Banned
PvP in this game is completely worthless IMO. It's not only laggy as all hell most of the time, but when it doesn't lag, it's just some idiot spamming Dark Beads.

Despite all the flaws in PvP, i still love it. Hard to be sure of why but i do. Also cosplaying as a Black Knight isa all fun and games till you encounter a spear user. Never have I experienced less guilt in fishing for a backstab.

Ruuppa

Despite all the flaws in PvP, i still love it. Hard to be sure of why but i do. Also cosplaying as a Black Knight isa all fun and games till you encounter a spear user. Never have I experienced less guilt in fishing for a backstab.

Seconded. I have a horrid connection and computer, so the PVP matches I get into are horrible stuttering messes for the most part, but when they aren't.. Ah, even fighting with BS fishers is magic.

I have a question. I just got the Lordvessel, but I haven't talked to Frampt yet. I want to join the Darkwraith Covenant, but I also want to use Frampt's services. If I were to talk to Frampt, but Homeward Bone out of the Lordvessel room, could I still meet Kaathe in the Abyss?

Soulhouf

You missed the Japanese players because they are by far the best I've seen and they are only on PS3.

Seance

Banned
You missed the Japanese players because they are by far the best I've seen and they are only on PS3.

If by best you mean mask of the mother, havels chest, hollow soldier leggings and fishing for a hornet ring BS with chaos rapier. There are more than enough on PC...

Soulhouf

If by best you mean mask of the mother, havels chest, hollow soldier leggings and fishing for a hornet ring BS with chaos rapier. There are more than enough on PC...

Nope.
I had the most hilarious PvP/coop with these people. At the time when 9/10 of the good sessions where with Japanese players. I live in Europe though, so it's always with Japanese people when I play during the day.
Often fair play, humble and they try to do impression over looking for victory at all costs.
For-instance the only time I saw a player using the Giant set without BS setting was a Japanese player. By that I mean he was full Giant set + Giant Halberd + Giant Shield and he was fat rolling when most of the players where ninja flipping with giant set.
It's perhaps only on PS3 but more than half western people I saw where always using the same and boring builds/sets.
The most epic co-op I had was SL1 fight against 4 Kings in NG+7 and it was with a Japanese player a year ago.

Of course some of them were boring as well but it was really rare. They always send me a message to cheer up. Always bow for PvP and wait your signal before they attack on duel.
Sadly I don't see many of them any more the last time I played on PS3...

Sullichin

I just put up a video of Black Knight invasions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfnmrlaeoYQ It's one of my favorite characters for invasions. I do backstab someone right by the bonfire at the beginning, but they gave away their position and just stood there trying to summon- dueling etiquette does not apply with this character, although I respond to kindness. Plus part of the fun in invading TotG is sneaking around. I like to do regular invasions where you wind up fighting all over the place. SL70 is a great level to invade the entire second half of the game. Dueling in the burg/township is fun and all but when your non PVP character is invaded in the middle of a level, it's often more memorable.

Trolling the forest with my SL 349 character has been entertaining. Full black iron gear with wolf ring and a buffed BSS just tears through most gankers. Feel like I'm delivering justice.

AlexBasch

Trolling the forest with my SL 349 character has been entertaining. Full black iron gear with wolf ring and a buffed BSS just tears through most gankers. Feel like I'm delivering justice.
What is your PSNID? I'm pretty sure I saw an incredibly overpowered character wearing that. :p

EDIT: Okay, what the hell? I'm in the forest and some guy was carrying a hammer or something like that, charged a hit, hit him twice with my Greatsword and he released a shockwave that instantly killed me.

What the hell is going on, hahaha.

What is your PSNID? I'm pretty sure I saw an incredibly overpowered character wearing that. :p

EDIT: Okay, what the hell? I'm in the forest and some guy was carrying a hammer or something like that, charged a hit, hit him twice with my Greatsword and he released a shockwave that instantly killed me.

Wrath of the Gods, maybe?

AlexBasch

Wrath of the Gods, maybe?
Oh, so they changed God's Wrath from being cast with a Talisman but with a weapon as well? Because I tried to roll away and it didn't help.

Also, I just got my first PVP win in like 100 matches. But I suspect the dude went away at the middle of the fight. ): Need some advice on how to protect myself from weapon spamming too, I have found some guys who just spam R1 and I can't move, protect or roll away from them, it's quite annoying. :/

lionhart13

Could have been the Grant. Its R2 is basically WoG. I don't think it's strong enough to instantly kill though.

BTW, what is it about the Gold Tracer? Not only is it an incredibly annoying weapon, it seems to break through poise like nothing.

Seance

Banned
Oh, so they changed God's Wrath from being cast with a Talisman but with a weapon as well? Because I tried to roll away and it didn't help.

Also, I just got my first PVP win in like 100 matches. But I suspect the dude went away at the middle of the fight. ): Need some advice on how to protect myself from weapon spamming too, I have found some guys who just spam R1 and I can't move, protect or roll away from them, it's quite annoying. :/

Sounds like Grant :D

Oh, no, sorry, I didn't realize it came from the weapon.

Hey Dark Souls GAF, got the game recently and have been playing it like crazy. I have a question though. I just beat quelaag
and killed the dude laying on the floor blocking the bonfire without even realizing he was an npc before it was too late. After realizing it, I was so surprised that I died to the maggots from his back lol. Am I going to be missing much?

Kwixotik

Hey Dark Souls GAF, got the game recently and have been playing it like crazy. I have a question though. I just beat quelaag
and killed the dude laying on the floor blocking the bonfire without even realizing he was an npc before it was too late. After realizing it, I was so surprised that I died to the maggots from his back lol. Am I going to be missing much?

No, he's pretty unimportant

Ruuppa

He sells two Pyromancies and some stuff for the Chaos covenant, plus Egg Vermifuges. Don't know if killing him stops you from joining the covenant.

Regarding AoE attacks, one thing to watch out is Karmic Justice; Damn thing took me off guard last time I played. Was beating the invader handily, and suddenly I'm on my ass and he's tossing Dung at me. One more hit on him and it would have been a cool double K.O.

Ruuppa

Ohh darn, I've been using pyromancy too :/ Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait till NG+

I was still able to join the covenant though.

The two Pyromancies he sells aren't that useful: Poison Mist, which you can get otherwise, and Toxic Mist. Both have a large area of effect, but also a long wind-up, and are only useful in PVP where that wind-up is liable to get you killed.

Toxic and Poison mist are fun in PvP sometimes, but they're not really that useful overall (some bosses can be poisoned though).

At least you know for next time, he's a friendly horribly deformed sac of maggots :)

hausaffe

Banned
i did a quick search but did not find anything. also not sure to post it here, hope its ok.

the shield contest for dark souls 2 finished. you can view the top 30 entries for every region on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/darksouls?hc_location=stream

there are some really good ones. i hope the vortex one will get an ingame appereance.
when this started i thought i had a chance to design a shield, but gave up after two hours. im glad i stopped because seeing this stuff shows me how unprepard i was.

Why, youuuuu monster...! What have you done, what have you done! Hrggreeeeeeeeeeeh!

Ruuppa

i did a quick search but did not find anything. also not sure to post it here, hope its ok.

the shield contest for dark souls 2 finished. you can view the top 30 entries for every region on their facebook page.

there are some really good ones. i hope the vortex one will get an ingame appereance.
when this started i thought i had a chance to design a shield, but gave up after two hours. im glad i stopped because seeing this stuff shows me how unprepard i was.

Oh wow, that Liberty shield.

Pegasos123

So each version of Dark souls 2 wont have the other 4 shields ... only 2 per region ? :-/

hausaffe

Banned
So each version of Dark souls 2 wont have the other 4 shields ... only 2 per region ? :-/

as i understood the designing process was limited to regions. for example bucklers to eu.
i think all 6 winning shields will be in the final game, not region specific.
i never read something like that.

The two Pyromancies he sells aren't that useful: Poison Mist, which you can get otherwise, and Toxic Mist. Both have a large area of effect, but also a long wind-up, and are only useful in PVP where that wind-up is liable to get you killed.

Toxic and Poison mist are fun in PvP sometimes, but they're not really that useful overall (some bosses can be poisoned though).

At least you know for next time, he's a friendly horribly deformed sac of maggots :)

I already got Poison mist, but Toxic mist sounds like it would be fun to mess around with.

Why, youuuuu monster...! What have you done, what have you done! Hrggreeeeeeeeeeeh!

After the first hit: "I knew it something something" . It didn't even register in my head that he was an npc, even after talking, so I hit him a second time and killed him. Then proceeded to panic and ask GAF for help lol.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

I think you can get a pyro glove off him which is useful if you skip lower burg and depths and all you care about is power within.

After the first hit: "I knew it something something" . It didn't even register in my head that he was an npc, even after talking, so I hit him a second time and killed him. Then proceeded to panic and ask GAF for help lol.

Haha, no worries. It happens. We've probably all accidentally killed an NPC at some time or another.
What I said above is just one of his dialogues if you kill the Fair Lady. Thought it was kind of appropriate.

Took out Capra Demon, bought some sorceries and finished Depths with easy (got everything but the tail drop from Gaping Dragon). Up next: Blighttown. Sigh!

Does anyone know why my FPS seemingly randomly drop to single digits for couple of seconds when mostly it's 100% 30/60 FPS for me? Seemingly randomly as sometimes it drops to 5 when there is nothing on screen and keeps 60 when there are 10 enemies with similar amounts of effects?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Took out Capra Demon, bought some sorceries and finished Depths with easy (got everything but the tail drop from Gaping Dragon). Up next: Blighttown. Sigh!

Does anyone know why my FPS seemingly randomly drop to single digits for couple of seconds when mostly it's 100% 30/60 FPS for me? Seemingly randomly as sometimes it drops to 5 when there is nothing on screen and keeps 60 when there are 10 enemies with similar amounts of effects?

DARK SOULS: PREPARE TO SLOWDOWN EDITION

Now seriously they just focused on shipping it bug free, performance be damned.

Mileena

Banned

What platform? PC?

Tilian

Banned
In my 2000 or so hours playing this game ...
Oh good. Glad to hear. I recently broke 1000 hours on the PC version (in addition to getting platinum on PS3), and was starting to feel guilty about the time I've spent with this game. This makes me feel better haha.

Booshka

Welp, guess I'm done with PC Dark Souls, had someone do the ol' build breaker with a modded Avelyn. Couldn't quit in time before all my stats were broken. And no I didn't bother with any save backups cuz I didn't care to.

Game is dead as fuck anyway on PC, back to Xbox Master Race.

Tilian

Banned
Welp, guess I'm done with PC Dark Souls, had someone do the ol' build breaker with a modded Avelyn. Couldn't quit in time before all my stats were broken. And no I didn't bother with any save backups cuz I didn't care to.

Game is dead as fuck anyway on PC, back to Xbox Master Race.
Was his name Funtimeisover? And in the forest? Same thing happened to me 2 days ago. He deleted 9 points from my END (SL unaffected), effectively ruining my perfect SL100 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom