• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
The run to that fight isn't that bad once the lift in the tower is active.

You should be able to turtle him btw and take no damage at all. Just attack when he charges up and when he misses trying to throw that crap in you face and block everything else. Slow but easy win.

velociraptor

The run to that fight isn't that bad once the lift in the tower is active.

You should be able to turtle him btw and take no damage at all. Just attack when he charges up and when he misses trying to throw that crap in you face and block everything else. Slow but easy win.
I've tried but he is too fast. His recovery/rolling rate is unbelievable. Everytime I try to land a hit, he gets a good blow on me. I'm using the Great Scythe it swings too slow for me to turtle the match.

chunk3rvd

I'm about to take on Seath with my first INT build so have my heart set on the MLGS. Currently SL39 with only 14 STR, 12 DEX and 34 INT and I'm guessing he's pretty resistant to magic? Can anyone recommend a good weapon I can craft to do some damage to him with those stats? Also, anyone have a character around that SL on PC who could give me a hand?

Edit: Currently have a BSS +14 and an Enchanted BSS +4 but neither feel like they're doing much damage against regular enemies, never mind bosses

I've tried but he is too fast. His recovery/rolling rate is unbelievable. Everytime I try to land a hit, he gets a good blow on me. I'm using the Great Scythe it swings too slow for me to turtle the match.

You should learn to recognize and react to when his rush attack is going to be a slash or a thrust. You can roll straight into him and get a roll attack when it's a slash. He'll also roll backwards twice before charging up, so as soon as he loses each quarter of his health, watch for the first roll and sprint after him. Chances are he'll roll back again and start charging up, and you'll need the head start to get good damage on him while he charges up.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I finally beat it today. What an amazing game, and I was so happy to see the credits roll after 50+ hours. Thanks for all the help guys. I really enjoyed the ride through its ups and downs. Now I`m off to DeSouls. I posted in that thread for tips so help would be appreciated.

Can someone go over the ending though?
I defeated Gynn and then went to the bonfire where I, and everything around me engulfed in flames. Then after the credits Im back at the start. Can someone describe the good ending and what I needed to do to get it??

Does the stamina meter take longer to start recharging after heavy attacks? I've always wondered.

I think it can just go into negative numbers. If you have any stamina, you can still pull off any move I believe. It just goes "negative", essentially, and takes a bit to start recharging, or at least until it's visible.

At least that's what it seems like to me.

I finally beat it today. What an amazing game, and I was so happy to see the credits roll after 50+ hours. Thanks for all the help guys. I really enjoyed the ride through its ups and downs. Now I`m off to DeSouls. I posted in that thread for tips so help would be appreciated.

Can someone go over the ending though?
I defeated Gynn and then went to the bonfire where I, and everything around me engulfed in flames. Then after the credits Im back at the start. Can someone describe the good ending and what I needed to do to get it??

There is no good ending.
In both endings you're simply playing the part of a disposable pawn in a timeless struggle between Light and Dark. Just like Demon's Souls, the "good" ending essentially has you martyr yourself for the sake of the world, while the "bad" ending has you destroy the world as you know it for reasons you weren't meant to totally understand

I love the story in Dark Souls, and I've even come to appreciate the ending, but the only way to "win" is to keep playing.

VALKYRAY

Banned
???

I beat the final boss then went to the bonfire and credits roll. Had I not lite the bonfire would I have gotten another ending??

once you kill the boss, your game ends, doesnt matter witch ending you chose. in order to see the second ending you have to beat the game again

eot

Banned
Bed of Chaos: not a fan. It shouldn't be hard to jump onto that tree root, but kept getting knocked down or sliding off the side of it. The whole demon/lava section isn't the best in general. I think just the fact that there are so many bonfires (I counted six) compared to the rest of the game says that something's up with the design of it. You do more jogging than fighting.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Bed of Chaos: not a fan. It shouldn't be hard to jump onto that tree root, but kept getting knocked down or sliding off the side of it. The whole demon/lava section isn't the best in general. I think just the fact that there are so many bonfires (I counted six) compared to the rest of the game says that something's up with the design of it. You do more jogging than fighting.

Yeah, it's the weakest section of the game.

Rather than jump, you can just drop down on to the branch (probably easier to see if you tilt the camera up). Wait for the double sweep then drop down, you're safe there for a second just in case she sweeps again, then run like mad! The bigger shields help a lot for those hand sweeps, I've even two-handed the Eagle shield on an SL1 run when I didn't have enough STR to equip it one handed.

Agree about Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith, the whole section could've been a lot better.

Yeah, it's the weakest section of the game.

Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith feels rather tacked on to me. Feels like they have little to do with the rest of Lordran and exist only because someone thought the game should have a day-glo lava level. Worst bosses in the game, too. And I'm talking about Centipede Demon, not Bed of Chaos.

Centipede Demon is a pretty standard boss. Not even tough or stupid, so not really a problem to me. Not nearly as much as how poor the rest of the area is. You literally just run through lava. And what's the deal with chaos? Boring moving statues and the rear half of undead dragons? Why? The only enemies that really exemplify how messed up chaos is are the Chaos Eaters. And it's much too bright to even see any of the architecture, so you never get the feeling you're in some sort of lost city. Just a bunch of lava and some dull ruins.

Aside from that: I got invaded by a blue spirit of vengeance in Anor Londo. The only sin I've committed is killing Shiva's ninja, which I absolved anyway, so how did he get into my world? And then he rolled away and started buffing a weapon even though I was clearly naked and wielding two Caestus.

6for8

Aside from that: I got invaded by a blue spirit of vengeance in Anor Londo. The only sin I've committed is killing Shiva's ninja, which I absolved anyway, so how did he get into my world? And then he rolled away and started buffing a weapon even though I was clearly naked and wielding two Caestus.

If one character has sinned on your account a spirit of vengeance can show up on all of them. You need to absolve your sins on every character.

I believe if you have been indicted you can be blue invaded with no method to remove it. I never have been indicted so can't say for certain.

It's getting annoying having Ornstein and Smough being the only challenging part of playthroughs anymore, especially since the fight is so dependent on what attacks they are/ aren't using and what weapons you have. Spear, greatsword, or curved sword, no problem. Anything with short range, it just comes down to luck, cheese, and patience. But I've come too far to stop using my fists.

GRIP

Just beat the game for the first time, and god damn that was a great ride. Think I'm going to jump right back in on NG+. Can't believe this game was completely off my radar for so long, but it's nice to get to experience a game this enjoyable for the first time.

The only real negatives I have are that a lot of the Boss battles in the later parts of the game weren't that difficult(4 kings gave me some trouble). I beat Nito right before I went to Gwyn and I killed both on my second attempts which was a little dissapointing. Other than that I really don't have any complaints.

So yeah, I freakin love this game. I had already crowned Uncharted 2 as my favorite game of this gen, but I think this might have kicked U2 from the top spot.

Just beat the game for the first time, and god damn that was a great ride. Think I'm going to jump right back in on NG+. Can't believe this game was completely off my radar for so long, but it's nice to get to experience a game this enjoyable for the first time.

The only real negatives I have are that a lot of the Boss battles in the later parts of the game weren't that difficult(4 kings gave me some trouble). I beat Nito right before I went to Gwyn and I killed both on my second attempts which was a little dissapointing. Other than that I really don't have any complaints.

So yeah, I freakin love this game. I had already crowned Uncharted 2 as my favorite game of this gen, but I think this might have kicked U2 from the top spot.

I think Gwyn is still pretty hard until you realize how many opportunities there are to parry him. He's really aggressive and can do some pretty big damage. Basically a taller, tougher unique Hollow rather than a boss fight that drags on for too long.

NG+ gets old because everything kills you in two hits and you kill everything in one or two hits. You'll probably realize all the weapons you missed or never got to make good use of and want to try using those on new characters.

And I'm pretty much over the whole Ornstein and Smough thing. This isn't a good boss fight. After being hit constantly by Ornstein's spear coming through Smough's knee, getting Smough to 10% health with just the Caestus and then being killed by Ornstein throwing a lightning bolt straight through Smough's pelvis, and also being killed by the invisible lightning residue from lightning buttstomp, I switched to Black Knight Sword +4 and just rolled right over them. Tired of these two. And the number of speedruns I've seen destroyed thanks to them.

Booshka

I think Gwyn is still pretty hard until you realize how many opportunities there are to parry him. He's really aggressive and can do some pretty big damage. Basically a taller, tougher unique Hollow rather than a boss fight that drags on for too long.

NG+ gets old because everything kills you in two hits and you kill everything in one or two hits. You'll probably realize all the weapons you missed or never got to make good use of and want to try using those on new characters.

And I'm pretty much over the whole Ornstein and Smough thing. This isn't a good boss fight. After being hit constantly by Ornstein's spear coming through Smough's knee, getting Smough to 10% health with just the Caestus and then being killed by Ornstein throwing a lightning bolt straight through Smough's pelvis, and also being killed by the invisible lightning residue from lightning buttstomp, I switched to Black Knight Sword +4 and just rolled right over them. Tired of these two. And the number of speedruns I've seen destroyed thanks to them.

You've gone Hollow.

Watch more LobosJr speedruns to see some ridiculous determination and patience.

GRIP

Yeah, Gwyn is definitely the most aggressive boss in the game, but once you get the parry timing down it's really easy to beat him. Actually, I was a lot more surprised with how easy Nito was.

And I did start my NG+, and yeah.... I'm just cake walking through all the early parts of the game. I spent a lot of time in my first play through grinding and leveling up my weapons so there really isn't any kind of a challenge right now (I turned it off after I beat the gargoyles).

I had a lot of fun with NG+ my first time around, but these days I generally just stop once I open up the Kiln. (Or when I get the Lordvessel.)

Booshka

Yeah, Gwyn is definitely the most aggressive boss in the game, but once you get the parry timing down it's really easy to beat him. Actually, I was a lot more surprised with how easy Nito was.

And I did start my NG+, and yeah.... I'm just cake walking through all the early parts of the game. I spent a lot of time in my first play through grinding and leveling up my weapons so there really isn't any kind of a challenge right now (I turned it off after I beat the gargoyles).

NG+ is stupid easy until you get to S&O. So at least get to there and start enjoying the later game bosses, if you have the DLC then NG+ boss in the DLC are much harder than anything in the main game.

Just keep playing and see if you like it. If you get bored of it, but still want to play Dark Souls, just start a new character with a new playstyle, or try remaking and bettering your build from your first character. It's refreshing to start over and benefit from all the knowledge of your first playthrough.

Toxi

Banned
Wimp.

It's my favorite boss fight in both the main game and the DLC. :-(

GRIP

NG+ is stupid easy until you get to S&O. So at least get to there and start enjoying the later game bosses, if you have the DLC then NG+ boss in the DLC are much harder than anything in the main game.

Just keep playing and see if you like it. If you get bored of it, but still want to play Dark Souls, just start a new character with a new playstyle, or try remaking and bettering your build from your first character. It's refreshing to start over and benefit from all the knowledge of your first playthrough.

I'm definitely going to stick with it, and if nothing else I figure I can just get through the game a little faster. Which isn't to say that I want to rush, but I don't see this play through coming even remotely close the 80 hours it took me the first time around.

You've gone Hollow.

Watch more LobosJr speedruns to see some ridiculous determination and patience.

I've watched, why do you think I'm saying what a nuisance they are? He gets stuck at Beavis and Butthead quite frequently during challenge runs. Speedruns are another matter, which they simply excel at destroying because Smough won't stop using the shovel rush or Ornstein does his figure skating routine at the worst possible times. It simply ceases to be fun, especially because even with 25 dexterity and strength, I was only doing about 100 damage per strong punch with Caestus +10.

Toxi

Banned
I've watched, why do you think I'm saying what a nuisance they are? He gets stuck at Beavis and Butthead quite frequently during challenge runs. Speedruns are another matter, which they simply excel at destroying because Smough won't stop using the shovel rush or Ornstein does his figure skating routine at the worst possible times. It simply ceases to be fun, especially because even with 25 dexterity and strength, I was only doing about 100 damage per strong punch with Caestus +10.
Why didn't you upgrade to +15? The Very Large Ember is available before you fight them.

Booshka

Go make those Caestus +14 and +15, then come back and fight them. I've started going into Anor Londo with a +15 weapon ready to go. All you have to do is kill Ingward, get the Ember, some Chunks and the Titanite Slab from Stray Demon. Not having the Lordvessel doesnt really slow you down, just buy some Homeward bones and you'll have a +15 weapon soon enough.

I didn't feel like going through Spookyville. My vitality was too low to survive it, and punching isn't effective against swarms of ghosts. Plus the problem wasn't entirely the damage, it's that the fist range is (obviously) so small that there's a huge risk of taking a blind hit from Ornstein clipping through Smough. The fight basically came down to luck every time, because if Smough shoveled, that would give Ornstein time to get back into position and then I don't have any opportunity to attack Smough. It wasn't feasible to defeat Ornstein first either because the punch startup time is too slow and the range too short to consistently hit him.

I don't think split stats are going to cut it at all. I'm not going to use the claw, so a strength and vitality character sounds better for punching. Though upgrading the Dragon Bone Fist would mean going to Ash Lake, and doing so without using the bonfires, because climbing back up is not fun.

GRIP

I've always felt the Four Kings were the hardest starting NG+. They get a massive boost, newcomers will not be prepared.

I'm really not looking forward to this battle on NG+. They were a huge headache for me and I really only got past them by equipping the Stone armor set and being able to tank through the fight. Them being able to do more damage is going to suck.

Divius

Is there some sort of guide/chart for average levels for areas? I'm around lvl40 and am wondering what the best area for me to get summoned is. I had my sign down at O&S for a while but never got summoned, no luck in Darkroot Forest either.

I was farming humanity in the depths, put down my sign for the hell of it, and got summoned 4 times in a row..although lvl 40 seems rather high for that area. So I have no clue.

Hobobloke

Is there some sort of guide/chart for average levels for areas? I'm around lvl40 and am wondering what the best area for me to get summoned is. I had my sign down at O&S for a while but never got summoned, no luck in Darkroot Forest either.

I was farming humanity in the depths, put down my sign for the hell of it, and got summoned 4 times in a row..although lvl 40 seems rather high for that area. So I have no clue.

I normally use the jolly co-op chart as a guide when trying to be summoned.

1323119782398.jpg

I get lots of co-op at 40 in the depths. On my last run I was alternating O&S and the depths at 40. I'd farm the silver knights while waiting at O&S and hand out the stash to people who looked like they needed it back at the depths. The shields are an especially popular gift. Was fun. Ended up with well over a million souls and jumped to level 88 when I moved on.

In general though you get more co-op if you are 10-20 levels lower or higher than you think you should be for the area. Maybe people at the normal level don't need the help or maybe they are avoiding the invaders. Dunno but I know it's gone a lot quieter these days (PS3)

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Just got around to getting the ring that lets you talk to Quelaag's Sister, and damn, I am sorry for killing her and her sister...

velociraptor

You should learn to recognize and react to when his rush attack is going to be a slash or a thrust. You can roll straight into him and get a roll attack when it's a slash. He'll also roll backwards twice before charging up, so as soon as he loses each quarter of his health, watch for the first roll and sprint after him. Chances are he'll roll back again and start charging up, and you'll need the head start to get good damage on him while he charges up.

Managed to finish him off.

I basically attacked him while he charged up to help. His moveset is more predictable pre-charge vs post-charge.

Believe it or not, it took me over 30 tries to kill Artorias.

:[

I've always felt the Four Kings were the hardest starting NG+. They get a massive boost, newcomers will not be prepared.

This. S&O were a pain in the ass as usual, but I felt it was generally pretty similar to the new game version. Four Kings, by virtue of the ridiculous boost, felt almost like a different fight altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom