• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else's game crashing in new londo? Every time I go there now, after a minute or two, the entire level kind of just disappears. If I try to homeward out, or quit the game, the game freezes and I have to do a hard reset. This happens on all my save files.

Divius

Is anyone else's game crashing in new londo? Every time I go there now, after a minute or two, the entire level kind of just disappears. If I try to homeward out, or quit the game, the game freezes and I have to do a hard reset. This happens on all my save files.
PC?

Try verifying your game cache in steam.

6for8

Tested. Didn't crash for me. Kings run as a phantom and solo into the abyss.

Maybe try deleting your game data and reinstalling your patches. You will need to download your DLC code again. I have had my characters refuse to load on a new ps3 after I downloaded my save with +. Odd as all my characters were out of the DLC and it has worked before.

eot

Banned
Ok, I have zero clue what to do vs Seath. I've fought him half a dozen times, every time I get infinite stunlocked after about 20 seconds. I can't see way up on his platform and I tried attacking everything in the environment to no effect.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ok, I have zero clue what to do vs Seath. I've fought him half a dozen times, every time I get infinite stunlocked after about 20 seconds. I can't see way up on his platform and I tried attacking everything in the environment to no effect.

Resistance is futile

VALKYRAY

Banned
Attack his front. His crystal beam can't hit u if you stand next to him. His tails hits very hard and hard to avoid.

Toxi

Banned
Managed to finish him off.

I basically attacked him while he charged up to help. His moveset is more predictable pre-charge vs post-charge.

Believe it or not, it took me over 30 tries to kill Artorias.

:[
It took you thirty tries... And then you did it.

Awesome.

eot

Banned
He can only fire his crystal laser breath right in front of him, and then ahead of him. Just have to get him to alternate between near and far, knowing when to attack and when to back up.

I got him first try in the cave. For some reason I checked all the levels of the archives except the one with the exit out into the yard, so I figured I was actually supposed to fight him in that first area.

cazosozey

hey guys, looking for some advice - ive got about 20 something hours into my first char. I went in blind, i wanted a fast ninja guy with maybe a little magic - but i think i am stuck with a dud character.

I'm looking for some advice on how to progress and improve, im stuck on the 'fatboy slim' boss in anor lando - so i went back and did some exploring and leveling. Im about to kill the boss for darkroot basin, but i dont think i have anywhere else i havent explored (except tomb of the giants)

Armor - ive been just running with whatever thats below 50% load
weapons - ive been using uchigatata +10, lightning spear, divine liato, and longbow

Did I spread my stats to thin, can i recover (with a shitload of grinding) or should i cut my loses and start over ?

here is a link my stats

thanks.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Did I spread my stats to thin, can i recover (with a shitload of grinding) or should i cut my loses and start over ?

Buy a scimitar from the undead merchant, raise it to +10 and have the giant blacksmith fuse it with the soul of queelag.

At +5 that sword is gonna cream Ornstein.

Also, farm the silver knights for the silver shield and upgrade it to +5. Much higher stability, much easier time blocking.

Whatever extra levels you get, focus on getting stamina and endurance to 30 first, later dexterity to 30.

edit: I forgot, kellogg's sword scales both with dex and humanity... having a few humanities will increase the damage. If you are short, hit the rats in the depths.

cazosozey

Buy a scimitar from the undead merchant, raise it to +10 and have the giant blacksmith fuse it with the soul of queelag.

At +5 that sword is gonna cream Ornstein.

Also, farm the silver knights for the silver shield and upgrade it to +5. Much higher stability, much easier time blocking.

Whatever extra levels you get, focus on getting stamina and endurance to 30 first, later dexterity to 30.

edit: I forgot, kellogg's sword scales both with dex and humanity... having a few humanities will increase the damage. If you are short, hit the rats in the depths.

awesome, thanks man, i think ive got a new plan of action for the time being.

Soulhouf

@cazosozey: In addition to what Bitmap said, rollback that Iaito to normal path.
It's a big waste to upgrade a unique (and awesome) weapon like that to divine.

Seanspeed

Banned
hey guys, looking for some advice - ive got about 20 something hours into my first char. I went in blind, i wanted a fast ninja guy with maybe a little magic - but i think i am stuck with a dud character.

I'm looking for some advice on how to progress and improve, im stuck on the 'fatboy slim' boss in anor lando - so i went back and did some exploring and leveling. Im about to kill the boss for darkroot basin, but i dont think i have anywhere else i havent explored (except tomb of the giants)

Armor - ive been just running with whatever thats below 50% load
weapons - ive been using uchigatata +10, lightning spear, divine liato, and longbow

here is a link my stats

thanks.
Your build is actually quite ideal so far. And a +10 Uchi is a great weapon at that stage in the game.

Orns and Smo are just brutal. Freakin brutal. I couldn't beat them without cheating(summoning).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The whole concept of going human exists just for playing co-op/risking invasion so why do people still feel like it's cheating? The devs built this whole system around it. And it's fun as hell.

People who are good at the game forcing that mindset on others who probably wouldn't finish the game without summoning a couple times makes me sad.

velociraptor

The whole concept of going human exists just for playing co-op/risking invasion so why do people still feel like it's cheating? The devs built this whole system around it. And it's fun as hell.

People who are good on the game forcing that mindset on others who probably wouldn't finish the game without summoning a couple times makes me sad.
Indeed.

Divius

Especially on my first playthrough I was really weary of going human. 'Summon Failed' messages 9 times out of 10 but usually getting invaded by people (who were a lot better than me causing me to lose a humanity for nothing) made the soloing vs bosses more appealing than hoping for a human summon.

Now that I have 150 hours in this game I feel more confident and am human most of the time (still rarely being able to summon though)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Especially on my first playthrough I was really weary of going human. 'Summon Failed' messages 9 times out of 10 but usually getting invaded by people (who were a lot better than me causing me to lose a humanity for nothing) made the soloing vs bosses more appealing than hoping for a human summon.

Now that I have 150 hours in this game I feel more confident and am human most of the time (still rarely being able to summon though)

I rolled through the game with a friend simultaneously and we both had the GFWL connection fix so our summons would show up within in a minute rather than 30. I still did a decent amount of getting summoned to help people out with bosses since I found it pretty addictive and I was fortunate enough to rarely have the summon fail. It takes patience sometimes, but I found the experience to be very worthwhile.

Yesterday I rolled through Dark Sun Gwyndolin in NG+ co-op for my friend's character and then for mine and it was fun as hell. I got cocky when her health was 5% on my run and got insta-killed by the full brunt of an arrow shotfrom like 5 feet away. As I was collapsing my friend got a overhead leaping attack in finishing the boss off and it qualified as a Victory. It was an incredible moment, truly next-level shit.

Exactly my experience.

My first time through, after getting absolutely demolished by a few invaders, I decided to stay hollow for a few reasons:

> minimizing the annoyance of invaders
> minimizing the SHEER FUCKING PANIC OF PLAYING THIS GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME (until the inevitable discovery that this is one of the game's many beautiful things that should be embraced)
> deliciously concentrated levels of isolation/bleakness/oppression/nausea
> a greater challenge leading to a greater sense of satisfaction/accomplishment

Beating O&S (et al.) completely on my lonesome is something that I'll forever cherish. The great thing about DS is that it thrives both on jolly cooperation and crippling loneliness.

And yep, 180 hours clocked and I'm at max humanity, spreading my human form cooties all over Lordran.

Divius

Do you guys remember your first time getting invaded? I sure do.

I was at undead burg, below the bridge in the room with the 3 rats. Suddenly a message <somethingsomething HAS INVADED>, so I shift-tab to steam overlay and ask my friend "What does that mean?" (note: I bought this game and went in completely blind without knowing anything) "Oh you are getting invaded by another player, prepare to die.", I shift-tab back see a red dude running around me who backstabs me .. YOU DIED.

Until that point I didn't even know about co-op/invading or the whole multiplayer aspect of the game altogether.

Arjen

My first invaders were very gentle, i guess they saw me panicking or something, because the first couple invaders dropped items and opened up shortcuts and then BC'ed out.

cazosozey

@cazosozey: In addition to what Bitmap said, rollback that Iaito to normal path.
It's a big waste to upgrade a unique (and awesome) weapon like that to divine.

Gotcha - maybe I'll divine one of my extra balder side swords instead, for my skeletal killing weapon - thanks

Your build is actually quite ideal so far. And a +10 Uchi is a great weapon at that stage in the game.

Orns and Smo are just brutal. Freakin brutal. I couldn't beat them without cheating(summoning).

Yup, I've got no qualms about summoning, but im having a tough time right now with having surplus humanity.
I couldnt have beaten kellogg without the help of midred the manslayer lol

The sheer terror of the first few invasions is unmatched.

Indeed. I also had no idea of the differences between the NPC invasions and player invasions. I was really proud of myself for defeating Kirk the first time, thinking he was a player.

One of my first actual player invasions was in Anor Londo...I was down in the room with Havel's stuff for the first time, and I had just hit the mimic. That was frightening, stuck in that small room with an invader and a mimic.

It still surprises me somewhat when people don't realize Gwyndolin
is a dude.

I played on PC and was Hollow basically all the time. By the time anybody invaded me, I already knew what it was (since the game had been out well over a year), and just stabbed them in the back.

eot

Banned

People who are good at the game forcing that mindset on others who probably wouldn't finish the game without summoning a couple times makes me sad.

Well, I don't think I'd get much enjoyment out of having some guys come in and wreck O&S in 2 minutes. The fun of the game isn't getting to the end so I don't feel like I need to make progress at any cost. If there were some boss I truly didn't enjoy fighting then I'd probably summon help, but as long as I think the mechanics of a game or fight are good I don't tend to get frustrated with trying something over and over. Different people have different tolerances for that stuff though, so it's great that the option is there.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I had my first invasion in Ariamis since the start of playing since I had been playing unpatched all this time. My heart was beating so fast and I had no idea what I was doing; all I knew was that I used up my Sunlight Blades already. I didn't know where he was coming from either, so in an attempt to hide, I ran to the entrance and lo and behold, that's where they come from.

Surprisingly, he never connected on an attack and I Wrath the of Godded him to submission.

Buntabox

I've recently gotten into this game. I've been using a dex build with equipment very similar to cazosozey. I've heard a lot of different opinions regarding dex weapons online. I have the Uchigatana at +10 right now, but I'm not sure where to take it next. I've heard Lightning is useful on it. OR should I be looking for other weapons? I've heard the Balder Side Sword is useful, but from looking at the stats on it's upgrade path, it doesn't seem as good as the Uchigatana.

Just looking for some suggestions. I'm taking into account the suggestions given to cazosozey as well since they apply to me. I'm right before Orn and Smg. Sort of taking my time to work out what I want to do.

I also recently got my first victory against an invader. I had been steam rolled a bunch previously. Was the most satisfying thing I've done so far.

velociraptor

Yes the Great Scythe is a great weapon. It's served me very well on my NG+ playthrough.

My first invaders were very gentle, i guess they saw me panicking or something, because the first couple invaders dropped items and opened up shortcuts and then BC'ed out.
Some invaders have shown zero mercy on me, even as the A.I. are attacking me. In fact, they tend to join in the fore to finish me off.

However, in one rare occasion, the invader was kind enough to drop some items for me and return home as I was fighting the Great Felines in Darkroot Forest.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The Great Scythe is probably my favorite weapon since it's quick and long and stuff.
I only hated it when it never really staggers when it counts (that one invisible boss), making me miss the cutoff.

Really loving the Great Club. Is a pure-strength build still viable?

Do you guys remember your first time getting invaded? I sure do.

I was at undead burg, below the bridge in the room with the 3 rats. Suddenly a message <somethingsomething HAS INVADED>, so I shift-tab to steam overlay and ask my friend "What does that mean?" (note: I bought this game and went in completely blind without knowing anything) "Oh you are getting invaded by another player, prepare to die.", I shift-tab back see a red dude running around me who backstabs me .. YOU DIED.

Until that point I didn't even know about co-op/invading or the whole multiplayer aspect of the game altogether.

My first invasion was some Great Scythe-wielding twink in the Depths. I was farming shards from the blobs in front of the bonfire and when I was invaded I quickly retreated inside the bonfire room. The dude keeps trying to use pyromancy on me from the hallway but I kept flitting around the entrance. Finally he got fed up with my game and one-shotted me.

Another vote for the great scythe here. I'm rocking a +15 ATM. Another good option for a +15 weapon for bosses etc is the painting guardian sword. Has great dex scaling and gets a lot of hits in before draining your stamina and as each hit deals full buff damage more hits is better if you are going with that method. Terrible range mind you.

Hobobloke

I've recently gotten into this game. I've been using a dex build with equipment very similar to cazosozey. I've heard a lot of different opinions regarding dex weapons online. I have the Uchigatana at +10 right now, but I'm not sure where to take it next. I've heard Lightning is useful on it. OR should I be looking for other weapons? I've heard the Balder Side Sword is useful, but from looking at the stats on it's upgrade path, it doesn't seem as good as the Uchigatana.

Just looking for some suggestions. I'm taking into account the suggestions given to cazosozey as well since they apply to me. I'm right before Orn and Smg. Sort of taking my time to work out what I want to do.

I also recently got my first victory against an invader. I had been steam rolled a bunch previously. Was the most satisfying thing I've done so far.

Both those weapons are great for a dex build. The Uchi will serve you just fine for the rest of the game if you want it to but it might be worth trying out something like the BSS or as others have mentioned the Great Scythe to see how you like them, really just decide which weapon to use based on which move set you like best.

As for upgrade paths you'll want to take your Uchi along with most other weapons you use to +15, Elemental upgrade paths remove your stat scaling making your points into dex and the Uchi's great scaling worthless. It's also worth mentioning that the stat screen will kind of trick you, even though lightning might seem to do much more based on the numbers it also has to go through two different defence values normally resulting in less damage than their +15 counterparts would do.

Buntabox

Both those weapons are great for a dex build. The Uchi will serve you just fine for the rest of the game if you want it to but it might be worth trying out something like the BSS or as others have mentioned the Great Scythe to see how you like them, really just decide which weapon to use based on which move set you like best.

As for upgrade paths you'll want to take your Uchi along with most other weapons you use to +15, Elemental upgrade paths remove your stat scaling making your points into dex and the Uchi's great scaling worthless. It's also worth mentioning that the stat screen will kind of trick you, even though lightning might seem to do much more based on the numbers it also has to go through two different defence values normally resulting in less damage than their +15 counterparts would do.

Wow, didn't think about this. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone that suggested stuff too. This game had a huge learning curve for me. I actually gave up on it for a bit after getting it in March. Came back to it a couple of weeks ago. Took time, but I'm loving it now.

eot

Banned
I was wondering why I still couldn't get into that gate in the Valley of Drakes when I just had New Londo Ruins and Tomb of the Giants left to go to (for now anyway). That was a cool surprise :D

edit: so, I had 10 humanity when I went to fight 4 kings, died, kindled firelink shrine but used one humanity too many so I had one in my counter, retrieved my body during the fight, beat them and afterwards I had 9 when I ought to have had 11. Do they drain your humanity?

Divius

Today was a good day for Jolly Cooperation. Helped someone through the Depths, helped someone through Blighttown (partly) and helped someone trhough Sen's Funhouse. Fun times.

Seanspeed

Banned

I consider it cheating because its like going into easy mode. Its something I only ever do when I feel I'm absolutely beaten. I've only done it for Quelagg and O&S, but I definitely had to hang my head in shame a bit for resorting to that. I would have liked to have done it on my own the first time around as its far more satisfying.

I'm on my first playthrough with the PC version right now. Kinda rushed through to the Undead Parish blacksmith area. So I'm grinding a bit and decide to clear out the pig and then with all the enemies dead in the area, go and bother the black knight at the top of the tower. I fail my backstab, so run away and we battle in the courtyard. I'm doing well, but then I get hit by an unblockable overhead smash. That's ok, didn't kill me. What wasn't ok was recoving from that and turning to see a red phantom come running up with the black knight, both charging me at once.

I died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom