• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Look, if people backstab you all the time, it's because you are weak to backstabs.

Unplug the cheat engine and you'll eventually learn to protect your back. No matter the build and setup, if you keep offering backstab opportunities people will seize them.

edit: edited to be less caustic.
I've been pvp since day one ps3. And i played a lot demons as well, think i offer people to backstab me, you are wrong. most if not all pvp I fought people are attempting to backstab. I counter them or punish them with backstab. If I cheat why would I be bothered with backstab? I won't die period, cause I cheating. No, I don't cheat unless I'm doing low level invasion justice. And it's pc only.
One word to sum up dark souls pvp? Backstab

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I've been pvp since day one ps3. And i played a lot demons as well, think i offer people to backstab me, you are wrong. most if not all pvp I fought people are attempting to backstab. I counter them or punish them with backstab. If I cheat why would I be bothered with backstab? I won't die period, cause I cheating. No, I don't cheat unless I'm doing low level invasion justice. And it's pc only.

If you were any good at all you wouldn't need to cheat to "justice", and the proof is in the pudding: all your pvp posts are uniformly terrible. Just in the last page you didn't even know what the Leo ring was.

Which is not surprising, you don't learn the game cheating.

Sullichin

Wasn't your definition of low level invasion justice waiting around with a hacked character in Anor Londo? Doesn't really make sense when most invaders there will be level 40+.

Even if you are waiting around in the parish or something it's not doing shit. It's not like you lose anything if you lose an invasion. And it's not like you get the satisfaction of actually beating some twink asshole who thinks he's really good because he can stomp noobs that have +0 weapons.

Anyway where do you PVP? Backstab fishers obviously exist, but I think they're fun to school. Good players aren't backstab fishers though and there are a lot of good players by this point.
I'm down to duel on PC if you want to experience PVP that's not all about backstab fishing.

Toxi

Banned
If you want to do low-level justice, do a low-level playthrough and grab the Avelyn. Upgrade it to +5 Lightning, buy as many Lightning Bolts as possible. At the same time, upgrade your Pyro Glove to the highest level and get Great Combustion.

Hold a Drake Sword or a class's starting weapon to give the impression you're a newbie, switch to the Lightning Avelyn or Pyro Glove to one-shot the the invader when they inevitably leave themself open.

I'd also recommend wearing upgraded Pyro starting gear; they won't immediately realize what you're doing when you take out your Pyro glove, and it has the highest fire-resistance of all the starting armors so that you might be able to tank a Combustion.

I wait around in Ash Lake with my hacked character, all the backstabbing noobs are too scared to invade me.
TOTAL DOMINATION

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Lolz, I quoted the wrong post dude. I meat to reply to your post above the Leo ring post.

This one

My post above the Leo ring post is discussing the rings I use in pvp, which are the fap and the wolf ring. Which is a telltale sign I don't fish for backstabs otherwhise I'd be using the hornet ring.

Try again.

Your pvp related posts are terrible, dude. Just unplug the cheats and learn the game, it's more satisfying.

Soulhouf

Always roll away from area of effect attacks anyway. I can't really think of any boss situation where you should block instead of dodging.

When I have a character with at least 16 str, I always block everything against S&O with the Eagle Shield. I beat them the first time without dying that way. Eagle Shield used to block 100% physical damage too, but it's still very effective nowadays.

This guy keeps delivering with some amazing PvP vids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1VB6S_QyFQ

Holy shit. As amazing as ever.

eot

Banned
Man, I wish I'd had that rusted iron ring for Blighttown and the tar pit in Sen's Fortress. Would've been a godsend. Next time will be so much easier.

Divius

Since I'm bored with NG+ I'm gonna start another new character. My first character was a mess, second was Dex Build and I'm thinking Pyro for this one. Any suggestions for end builds? What are powerfull spells to use? Any guides/videos etc

So Amazon just sent me a $5.00 credit towards Dark Souls 2 because I bought Dark Souls 1 from them...back in December. Pretty cool.

It's also on sale right now for $7.49. If you don't have the PC version, but were already planning to get Dark Souls 2 when it comes out, that means you basically can get Dark Souls on the PC for $2.50.

eot

Banned
Right after I got to Anor Londo I ended up activating the painting by mistake (there was a message right in front of it). I didn't think to use a homeward bone in time so I had to fight my way out of that hell hole. After a lot of trying I managed to platform my way to the area behind the locked door which I never found the key for.

Anyway, I got to the blacksmith in Anor Londo (took me ages to get past the two archers outside though) and I'm not sure what to do about weapon upgrades. I have a +10 Falchion which I could upgrade to lightning, but I the lightning spear I found in Sen's Castle didn't seem all that great to be honest. I've also heard that you can make unique weapons from the boss souls but maybe that's even later on? Finally, is the dragonslayer bow worth getting the stats for? I rarely use bows but it looks fun.

Booshka

Right after I got to Anor Londo I ended up activating the painting by mistake (there was a message right in front of it). I didn't think to use a homeward bone in time so I had to fight my way out of that hell hole. After a lot of trying I managed to platform my way to the area behind the locked door which I never found the key for.

Anyway, I got to the blacksmith in Anor Londo (took me ages to get past the two archers outside though) and I'm not sure what to do about weapon upgrades. I have a +10 Falchion which I could upgrade to lightning, but I the lightning spear I found in Sen's Castle didn't seem all that great to be honest. I've also heard that you can make unique weapons from the boss souls but maybe that's even later on? Finally, is the dragonslayer bow worth getting the stats for? I rarely use bows but it looks fun.

The Boss soul weapon that you forge out of a +10 Curved sword is pretty good. But, you need to hold onto some humanity in your counter and upgrade it with a rare and expensive upgrade material. It's best to wait until you get the Very Large Ember that lets you make your weapons +15.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

The curved sword boss weapon is very fun... beat the area boss, then go back to the burg buy a scimitar from the merchant +10 it and make the boss soul.

The boss soul weapons tend to be quirky.

RE: Weapon upgrades. Elemental (lightning/fire) can be good, but the upgrade removes scaling to your stats. This is good in the first half of the game, but the more you level up, the worse off you are with elemental weapons. So it's always good to have a purely physical one to (which you will eventually want to take to the full +15.

There's no shortage of upgrade materials (except slabs) so upgrade your weapon to lightning and see how you like it, you can always buy/farm another weapon and keep that non-elemental. The lightning spear in Sen's isn't upgraded as is and spears don't do the best damage, so it's not the best barometer really.

RE: Weapon scaling. Look at the weapons own detailed stats, it tells you what letter grading each weapon scales with your own stats. Looking at the wiki your Falchion scales E with Strength, and B with Dex. That means when you level up STR and/or DEX you get a damage bonus with the weapon (that bonus is the +/- number at the side of the weapons damage number) - scale is E to A, then S which is the highest, so leveling up DEX will give a larger damage bonus with the Falchion. Elemental weapons remove this damage bonus completely - that's not a problem early on because your level isn't usually high enough to get a big enough bonus, but later on it will be, especially with a +15 weapon.

bwkjl.jpg

eot

Banned
Thanks for the replies, I'll keep a few different weapons then.
I went and fought Ornstein and Smough. On the second attempt I killed Ornstein and had S down to about 50% but got nuked by his lightning buttstomp. It didn't take me too many tries to get them, but at the end I was at 3 bars of life with no healing left and so was he so I ended up being super careful and it took a while. It's way harder to fight 2vs1.

Toxi

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, Dark Souls 2 coming out on a current gen console makes it 400 dollars cheaper. That's a pretty sweet deal.

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep a few different weapons then.
I went and fought Ornstein and Smough. On the second attempt I killed Ornstein and had S down to about 50% but got nuked by his lightning buttstomp. It didn't take me too many tries to get them, but at the end I was at 3 bars of life with no healing left and so was he so I ended up being super careful and it took a while. It's way harder to fight 2vs1.
Great job!

eot

Banned
Is there any point in killing all the firekeepers? I mean, after you've killed the last one there's no one to reinforce your estus flask anymore. Not that I'm going to kill them, I restored the keeper at firelink shrine.

Booshka

Is there any point in killing all the firekeepers? I mean, after you've killed the last one there's no one to reinforce your estus flask anymore. Not that I'm going to kill them, I restored the keeper at firelink shrine.

You can get your Estus Flask to +6 in one playthrough by killing the firekeepers. Just use the Firelink Shrine firekeeper to reinforce your estus.

eot

Banned
The guy with the long neck took me down to a place and asked me to put my thing on a thing. I was mistrusting of him so I teleported back to a bonfire, but then I found out that's something you have to do to progress. Problem is, now he's sleeping so I can't talk to him. Should I just attack him to wake him up?

Toxi

Banned
The guy with the long neck took me down to a place and asked me to put my thing on a thing. I was mistrusting of him so I teleported back to a bonfire, but then I found out that's something you have to do to progress. Problem is, now he's sleeping so I can't talk to him. Should I just attack him to wake him up?
Sheathe your weapon and punch him.

Booshka

Sheathe your weapon and punch him.

you dont have to put your weapon away. If you want to Darkmoon blade +3 buff a Crystal +5 Demon Greataxe while buffed with Power within and Red Tearstone then do a jumping attack, he wont care. Might actually enjoy it, he could use the teeth cleaning.

Toxi

Banned
you dont have to put your weapon away. If you want to Darkmoon blade +3 buff a Crystal +5 Demon Greataxe while buffed with Power within and Red Tearstone then do a jumping attack, he wont care. Might actually enjoy it, he could use the teeth cleaning.
...Okay, I need to try that out.

As long as you only attack him once, he shouldn't have a problem.

I'm doing a fist weapons playthrough (no shield so far) and beat Capra Demon. I'm pretty underleveled due to spending all my souls to open the forest and get the ninja roll, so Queelag isn't going to be defeated in a timely manner.

ArynCrinn

Banned
As long as you only attack him once, he shouldn't have a problem.

I'm doing a fist weapons playthrough (no shield so far) and beat Capra Demon. I'm pretty underleveled due to spending all my souls to open the forest and get the ninja roll, so Queelag isn't going to be defeated in a timely manner.

Try beating Capra using the Deprived class with ENB rules+no rings or resins allowed. It's fun!

You'll hate dogs more than ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j35v3VJp5IY

Divius

I should really stop dying and then quiting the game. When I start it up the next day I have zero clue where my souls/humanity are.

eot

Banned
Do different enemies / attacks have different parry windows? I find the silver knight super easy to parry and other enemies not so much. Maybe it's just that they telegraph their attacks more?

Sullichin

Do different enemies / attacks have different parry windows? I find the silver knight super easy to parry and other enemies not so much. Maybe it's just that they telegraph their attacks more?

Yeah, in PVE you want to parry right when the enemy's attack is about to hit your shield. Some enemies have delayed attacks/weird timing that's harder to get used to.

velociraptor

It's been two days and I still haven't killed Artorias on NG+

This is the closest I have gotten so far:
KNKW1c9.jpg

zSWKV3W.jpg

One hit and he takes 75% of my health away. Painful.

Want to know what I hate the most about this game? The fact I have to run all the way to the boss arena every time I die. I have probably died about 20 times now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom