• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish there was a way to challenge someone to unarmed fisticuffs in PVP besides removing your weapon. It's basically like the "hit me with your most powerful weapon and pretend you didn't realize what I wanted to do" signal.

A lot of my PvP encounters have boiled down to 'who has the biggest weapon and who can stun-lock their opponent first', so yeah, kinda lame. I would suggest joining 'em if you can't beat 'em; that's exactly what I did with my +15 Murakumo and I'm locking fools all the way back into pre-corruption Oolacile.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
A lot of my PvP encounters have boiled down to 'who has the biggest weapon and who can stun-lock their opponent first', so yeah, kinda lame. I would suggest joining 'em if you can't beat 'em; that's exactly what I did with my +15 Murakumo and I'm locking fools all the way back into pre-corruption Oolacile.

Be careful with that.

Many people abuse a glitch known as toggle escape, essentially a well timed weapon toggle will null the stunlock and will parry you on the second swing.

Be careful with that.

Many people abuse a glitch known as toggle escape, essentially a well timed weapon toggle will null the stunlock and will parry you on the second swing.

I have heard of this. It's fairly difficult to execute, isn't it?

Eh, I've got no qualms with being humiliated with a skilful parry/glitch of sorts when all I'm doing is using the ludicrous range of my weapon and mashing R1. I'm basically asking for it, after all. Unfortunately, that seems the most effective way to battle in my limited experience.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have heard of this. It's fairly difficult to execute, isn't it?

Eh, I've got no qualms with being humiliated with a skilful parry/glitch of sorts when all I'm doing is using the ludicrous range of my weapon and mashing R1. I'm basically asking for it, after all. Unfortunately, that seems the most effective way to battle in my limited experience.

Hehehe... I'm a cheap bastard too ;D

I run with a Chaos Blade/Rapier main hand and talisman/pyro glove off hand; on top of that I have 78 poise (which means it takes two zwei blows to stun me) and still fast roll.

I get lots of hate mail ;)

Hehehe... I'm a cheap bastard too ;D

I run with a Chaos Blade/Rapier main hand and talisman/pyro glove off hand; on top of that I have 78 poise (which means it takes two zwei blows to stun me) and still fast roll.

I get lots of hate mail ;)

Ha. Ah, well. The game more or less encourages it. Is 78 poise high? And what armour set are you rocking? I'm a big form-over-function guy, so I've got a Knight set +9'd across the board. Such a purdy set.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Ha. Ah, well. The game more or less encourages it. Is 78 poise high? And what armour set are you rocking? I'm a big form-over-function guy, so I've got a Knight set +9'd across the board. Such a purdy set.

It's reasonably high... 76 is the breakpoint for ultras that's why it takes two swings.

I rock an ugly as sin combo of hollow warrior breeches, hollow soldier helm, havel's gloves and nothing but those brown bras on the chest. That's 38 poise, the wolf ring does the other 40.

It's reasonably high... 76 is the breakpoint for ultras that's why it takes two swings.

I rock an ugly as sin combo of hollow warrior breeches, hollow soldier helm, havel's gloves and nothing but those brown bras on the chest. That's 38 poise, the wolf ring does the other 40.

That's my biggest PVP failing...I can only play a character that looks good. I've come to accept that. Makes me all the more appreciative of the few victories I do win with my particular "handicap"...

Toxi

Banned
I always use the crystalline helm. It looks so pretty. 8-D
crystalline-helm.png

pvp is all about backstab, whoever has better excution will win. it's boring.

You mean, pvp is all about using cheats and hacks.
2L0a88db.png

Didn't want to post it as a new thread as its just hearsay but,

My friend just texted me (he's a gstop manager and is at their conference) and he told me that there's both a collectors and LE (preorder upgrade) for Dark Souls 2, only details he gave me about the CE was it would be announced at TGS and it would have an "awesome statue".
Urgh, I'm not a fan of statues. I much prefer soundtracks or art books.

Haha. I can see it in my mind's eye and my mind's eye is vomiting. Ah, yes, the Wolf Ring. I should probably consider parting with my FaP ring, but it's JUST SO GOOD ON FACE VALUE!

eot

Banned
I decided to go to the Catacombs instead of Sen's Fortress because I found a sword with divine damage on the side off a cliff outside Blighttown. About that btw, it says it's +80 physical and +80 magical damage, but it feels more like an 80 dmg weapon. It's pretty bad. Anyway, I got to the area with the cartwheel dudes but I don't know what to do about them so I just ran. It didn't help much though because now I'm in cave where the only way forward is a 100ft drop that looks lethal.

Toxi

Banned
I decided to go to the Catacombs instead of Sen's Fortress because I found a sword with divine damage on the side off a cliff outside Blighttown. About that btw, it says it's +80 physical and +80 magical damage, but it feels more like an 80 dmg weapon. It's pretty bad. Anyway, I got to the area with the cartwheel dudes but I don't know what to do about them so I just ran. It didn't help much though because now I'm in cave where the only way forward is a 100ft drop that looks lethal.
Huh.

By chance, does the area in front of you look like an enormous coffin and was it after a fog door? If so, move forward with full health, the fall won't kill you, it'll just take off half health. Be ready for a boss fight.

Is it a dark pit? If so, yeah, it will probably kill you. Try looking for another way.

pvp is all about backstab, whoever has better excution will win. it's boring.
Meh, it's like that if you let it be. Most invaders do just want to come in, WOTG spam, 'well what it is' gesture and leave with their piddling amount of souls and covenant reward, whoopie!.... That's where the fun begins for me, I enjoy annoying invaders who've come soley for that purpose. When they get pissy, they make mistakes and die.

You can have fun with them by using the levels to your advantage, to either kill them, trap them, confuse them, gain ground etc. Hide and seek, cat and mouse - these are all fun games to play with invaders. Pitting red and blue against each other these kinds of things.

I'm talking about being invading here, not duels. I love being invaded, but rarely invade myself.

Toxi

Banned
I usually rock FAP and Havel; I like big weapons, and I need that combination to use them properly.

When playing a lighter build, I try Wolf and Leo with the Balder Side Sword.

Only time I used FAP was on SL1 runs. Don't like being told 'you can't take this ring off!' Default for me is Havels+Wolf with swapping for situational (Bellowing if sorcerer, rusted ring in water etc, etc)

eot

Banned
Huh.

By chance, does the area in front of you look like an enormous coffin and was it after a fog door? If so, move forward with full health, the fall won't kill you, it'll just take off half health. Be ready for a boss fight.

Is it a dark pit? If so, yeah, it will probably kill you. Try looking for another way.

That wasn't so bad after all, rather easy boss too. Didn't like the look of the area past there though.

It's so ridiculous how quickly you can get stuff done in NG+ when you delineate a clear plan of minimum requirements.

I started my NG+ a couple of nights ago purely for the Gold Tracer and I had it in my grubby little hands last night. It seriously took me no longer than 4-5 hours.

O&S - first time; 4 Kings - first time... It was insane. The most testing fight was probably Artorias, but even that only required a second attempt. +15 buffed Murakumo at 40 DEX ruins lives.

Gold Tracer is very cool. I love the moveset, but I haven't quite figured out an optimal strategy for PvP; I'm a tad too hasty currently. That being said, the base damage + the bleed effect shows huge potential right off the bat.

Toxi

Banned
The Golden Banana looks gorgeous.
gold_tracer_by_alo81-d65v32a.gif

That wasn't so bad after all, rather easy boss too. Didn't like the look of the area past there though.
The Tomb of the Giants is very dangerous, especially without a light source. Press on only if you're comfortable with dying.

If you have a Homeward Bone, now would be a good time to use it. Don't worry too much if you die, though; the real treasure in the Catacombs was the Rite of Kindling.

I'm trying to get Ornstein first, just because it's easier to separate him. But I can only get 1/4th of his health before the insta-kill by Smough, and the Reinforced Club isn't exactly speedy. I might have to level Pyromancy some more and get the ninja roll.

And I don't know why people consider the Four Kings so tough. On New Game+ when they have tons of health, sure. But on a standard playthrough, you can easily tank them with Havel's armor, or dodge their rather simple attacks and run circles around them with fast roll. Each King is a pretty easy boss by itself. I'll see when I get there.

Toxi

Banned
I'm trying to get Ornstein first, just because it's easier to separate him. But I can only get 1/4th of his health before the insta-kill by Smough, and the Reinforced Club isn't exactly speedy. I might have to level Pyromancy some more and get the ninja roll.
I'm not sure if this will help (I beat them with pure melee, no magic), but here's the things I noticed while fighting the dynamic duo.

Do you have your noise audio turned up higher than all other sounds? Both Smough and Ornstein have some audio cues for their fastest attacks ("clink clink clink" sound for the bulldozer and "Whoosh" for the Speedy Gonzales attack)

Do not get between the wall and Ornstein and Smough if you can; they will corner you and destroy you.

Ornstein's Speedy Gonzales attack might be fast, but it also leaves him open if you dodge it. Not only that, but it's a great way to pull him away from Smough. That's the best time to hit him. Another good time to hit him is when he does his two-handed stab into another stab, since he is completely open after the second stab.

Do not roll back on a normal jumping and stabbing attack (AKA not the slow jumping overhead swing) or on a Speedy Gonzales attack. Instead, roll to the sides (Forward if you want to test your luck).

If Ornstein jumps up into the air and does an overhead swing, run backwards and roll back. The attack has insane range and tracking and a delayed hit, making it extremely difficult to dodge. It's probably the attack that has killed me the most in that fight.

If you need to relieve pressure when the two of them are running after you, you can bait attacks from either enemy by moving slightly close and then moving out of range.

Get used to keeping both Smough and Ornstein in your camera view; if one of them is outside your camera view, especially Ornstein, you're playing risky.

Above all, stay close to the pillars. Part of this is to separate the pair, but another part is that it's much easier to avoid Smough's bulldozer if you can just circle around the pillar.

Once you get to Super-Smough, it's all about staying behind a pillar, baiting attacks, and attacking him during the recovery.

eot

Banned
I made my way through Sen's Fortress this morning. I almost wish it were a little longer because it was a pretty cool area. Small touches like having to make that scary jump to get to the merchant is what I like about this game. The Iron Golem wasn't that tough on its own, but I rolled of the edge more times than I care to remember. I think I've died more from falling off stuff than anything else. After I beat him I went back to explore a little bit more because I knew I missed some stuff. I realized you could drop all the way down and fight a few of those scorpion looking dudes. The first two were no problem, but the 3rd and 4th ones were on steroids or something. They looked just like the other ones, dropped the same amount of souls, but I did way less damage to them and they hit incredibly hard. It probably took me an hour and a half just to kill those two.

I found a lightning spear too, which was 144 physical dmg / 144 lightning whereas my current weapon is just 160-ish physical dmg. In practice though it doesn't seem to do twice the damage. It did on some enemies, but not on others and seemingly not when I backstab them either.

An unrelated question:
I know that it's possible to get back to the tutorial area somehow, but I can't talk to the bird so I'm not sure how. If someone could give a hint without telling me exactly what to do I'd appreciate it.

Hobobloke

I found a lightning spear too, which was 144 physical dmg / 144 lightning whereas my current weapon is just 160-ish physical dmg. In practice though it doesn't seem to do twice the damage. It did on some enemies, but not on others and seemingly not when I backstab them either.

The numbers on the stat screen will trick you like that, while they look stronger on paper split damage weapons have to factor in both those defence values of the opponent which more often than not results in less damage than pure physical would do.

An unrelated question:
I know that it's possible to get back to the tutorial area somehow, but I can't talk to the bird so I'm not sure how. If someone could give a hint without telling me exactly what to do I'd appreciate it.

Take a good look around and think about where he grabbed you from last time. More direct clue -
Pay attention on the elevator ride from firelink to the undead church.

Dresden

You must be one of those backstab fishers.
I've fought some people with dusk crown and moon light sword, they are clearly intel build and they were doing nothing but backstab that's how bad pvp is

I'd roll bs all day too if I ran into some jerk with infinite health . . .

Arjen

I've fought some people with dusk crown and moon light sword, they are clearly intel build and they were doing nothing but backstab that's how bad pvp is

Some people can win without cheating or cheap exploits, I've fought bitmap and he schooled me good.

The numbers on the stat screen will trick you like that, while they look stronger on paper split damage weapons have to factor in both those defence values of the opponent which more often than not results in less damage than pure physical would do.
Yep, safest bet is to keep split-damage weapons around as back-up and stick mostly to buffing +15 weapons if you're using a int or faith build.

Sullichin

Why would a leo ring user be a backstab fisher?
It affects counter attacks on thrust weapons. You're thinking of the hornet ring, for which the Lucerne would not be a good choice.

And it's not like fighting against backstab fishers is this incredibly challenging thing. Backstab fishers are almost always really predictable, because, well, they're fishing for backstabs constantly. It's easy to unlock and hit them while they're strafing around you, counter BS, dead angle, etc. Backstabs are most dangerous when the opponent uses it properly - like as punishment for you missing a slow attack.

I don't quite understand Dark Souls PvP. I get that it would be fun to play with other people and see their builds and riposte a real human being, but it feels a little like competitive Pokemon to me. The end result of your build is much more fun than the tedium of building that character, and at what point does it just get too tedious?

I don't quite understand Dark Souls PvP. I get that it would be fun to play with other people and see their builds and riposte a real human being, but it feels a little like competitive Pokemon to me. The end result of your build is much more fun than the tedium of building that character, and at what point does it just get too tedious?

The problem with competitive Dark Souls is that so few builds are actually "competitive", IMO. Sure, a good player could turn a mediocre build into a beast, but why would he when he could just be a giantdad?

6for8

Yep, safest bet is to keep split-damage weapons around as back-up and stick mostly to buffing +15 weapons if you're using a int or faith build.

On my INT builds I use enchanted weapons and the excellent scaling more than makes up for losses from split damage. Low level weapons like a rapier or a long sword both have A scaling and a short bow has S. I don't like to use a buffs because they use up my slots that could be filled with other spells.

The enchanted Zwei with 51 INT will do more damage to wraiths than a +15 Zwei with 56 STR and a basic lightning buff.

There are a few enemies with very strong magic resistance so I like to have a chaos halberd as back-up.

VALKYRAY

Banned
No need chaos weapon for back up, if they have strong magic resis, then just use spells like soul mass or spear. Magic build is easy mode.

eot

Banned

Found it! I'd been trying to loot that body on the roof before but after I got off the elevator I tried jumping in the wrong direction. I think the UN might need to send some nuclear weapon inspectors over to the asylum though. That fiery blast took chunks out of my health even with my Dragon Crest Shield to block, which has pretty good fire resist. Eventually I killed the shit out of Stray Demon, but the way I could avoid all his damage felt a little abusive. No idea how you would fight him with your honour intact though. Gonna try killing that Hydra in the lake before I head off to Anor Londo.

That fiery blast took chunks out of my health even with my Dragon Crest Shield to block, which has pretty good fire resist. Eventually I killed the shit out of Stray Demon, but the way I could avoid all his damage felt a little abusive. No idea how you would fight him with your honour intact though.

yeah that confused me at 1st until I worked out that it was magic damage not fire. The crest shield is the one you wanted.

Always roll away from area of effect attacks anyway. I can't really think of any boss situation where you should block instead of dodging.

Sif is the only boss I turtle.

Found it! I'd been trying to loot that body on the roof before but after I got off the elevator I tried jumping in the wrong direction. I think the UN might need to send some nuclear weapon inspectors over to the asylum though. That fiery blast took chunks out of my health even with my Dragon Crest Shield to block, which has pretty good fire resist. Eventually I killed the shit out of Stray Demon, but the way I could avoid all his damage felt a little abusive. No idea how you would fight him with your honour intact though. Gonna try killing that Hydra in the lake before I head off to Anor Londo.

Strip yourself naked and roll, roll, roll. It's almost a ritual for me at this point.

eot

Banned
The hardest part was not falling of the ledge. The last head would constantly attack 50m to my left, so I'd have to sprint there to get him, but he was also right by the edge of where I could stand.

VALKYRAY

Banned
The hardest part was not falling of the ledge. The last head would constantly attack 50m to my left, so I'd have to sprint there to get him, but he was also right by the edge of where I could stand.
Get a bow. Or come back when you have a better weapon.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Look, if people backstab you all the time, it's because you are weak to backstabs.

Unplug the cheat engine and you'll eventually learn to protect your back. No matter the build and setup, if you keep offering backstab opportunities people will seize them.

edit: edited to be less caustic.

Sullichin

If you're experienced enough in PVE it doesn't take *that* long to finish a build. I don't really find working on a build tedious though, but sometimes farming can get annoying. I also like to PVP while I'm still working on my build. It's a great way to get souls. The real tedium is if you're playing on PC and often have to wait forever to invade.

PVP has its problems but I still think it's amazing.

Jesus, LobosJr is a beast... he did a no healing/no bonfire run and also a lvl1 NG7 run...

Dem skills.

I think he finished his NG+7 SL1 run in about 9 hours, right? After about 9 hours of my NG+7 run I still hadn't beaten Gargoyles. (Then again, I tried to fight most enemies for the challenge whereas he runs past most of them. Still really hard though.)

He's doing another NG+7 run tonight.

That head is annoying, I'm sure they did it on purpose I've run off the edge before more than once trying to kill it with a run attack!

Hydra is one of my favourite fights actually. It looks great, so imposing up close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom