• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have the crown, 40 intelligence, Sorceror's Catalyst. Soul Spear and Great Heavy Soul Arrow only do around 300-400 damage to most bosses. It's not very impressive, especially considering the cast speed.

Also glad Dark Souls 2 has new sorcery animations. No more of that stupid staff wiggle.

You missing the ring and Logan's catalyst.

GRIP

Finally beat the 4 Kings last night on my NG+ run. So far they have given me the most trouble, taking about 12 attempts before finally killing them. Actually, going through them was probably the first time in my 100 hours that I really felt the game was just fucking with me. At least 5 of my deaths were them just spamming magic attacks from all sides and if that didn't kill then I'd get a strong melee swipe that would hit me at the precise moment that I was getting up but unable to block or roll out the way.

I really though O&S would be the biggest challenge, but I got through them on my second try (killed Ornstein last) and I came pretty damn close on my first attempt.

Still loving the game, but now I'm at the point where I only have areas left to play that I don't particularly enjoy (Catacombs/TOG, Demon Ruins/Lost Izaleth, and Dukes Archive). I'll probably just sprint through these areas to the boss battles.

Well, at this point I get through the game pretty easily just doing standard upgrade path on one weapon, so spending around 100,000 souls to optimize my character seemed like a lot of busywork for comparatively little payoff. I wouldn't say I'm doing pure sorcery, and it doesn't help that I prefer enchanting a Rapier to actually using spells. I'll probably try again sometime and see if I can mess up the Super Londo Brothers in a satisfactory manner.

And Ravelord Nito's beats are too sick for me today. Was literally one hit away and managed to get hit by the scream, and then died 3 times in a row to his first scream.

Nerokis

I'm glad to see you're enjoying Dark Souls.

Did you kick the ladder under the bridge?

Nope, I hadn't. Thanks for the heads up. Doing that earlier could have saved a bit of time!

After spending the souls I was so close to losing, I got the courage to explore again. The boar area was much more simple than I anticipated, and for awhile it was smooth sailing. The enemies in this game are great: diverse and well placed with solid AI. Opened the gate to the boar area (glad I found the lever faster than I did the ladder), and then began killing the enemies inside the church until a dude with a huge shield killed me. Instead of going back, decided to do some backtracking: tried to clear the graveyard at the start of Lordran, but changed my mind when suddenly ~3 normal skeletons and one big one spawned at the same time; got the Ring of Sacrifice, and since I rolled onto the platform from above, for a second I thought the game was going to force me to commit suicide; back in the Undead Burg (I think), I killed that one dude a little before the stairwell leading to the Taurus Demon, and got a nice ring (this was the guy who I ran from earlier; at the time, I wasn't 100% sure how backstabbing worked, and I was horrible with parries); and then I decided to go downstairs at that stairwell to try killing a guy who earlier on surprised me by killing me in one hit, got incredibly close (1-2 backstabs/parries away...) a couple times but gave up.

Then just experimented with different weapons. Started out with a scimitar, but been using a short sword for awhile because the scimitar hit low durability (being able to kick has been really useful, anyway). Bought a bow and tried that out, felt dumb for not doing so earlier. Fell in love with the Winged Spear.

Bought a Repairbox. Feels great to be able to repair weapons now. Weight off my shoulders.

I feel much more settled in. Probably not going to document any more play sessions like this, but I wanted to share my initial experience with everyone. :p It was impossible not having certain expectations of the game going in, and its certainly met all of them (both in terms of quality and in terms of difficulty). The world is actually incredibly compelling, in addition to the gameplay being very satisfying. I feel like I've been wandering aimlessly (which was in my class description), but IIRC, the NPC who sits near the first bonfire said one of the beacons I have to light is in the church - if so, I guess I'm closer to figuring out what this "pilgrimage" entails.

Nerokis - the skeleton graveyard is kind of placed there as a trap for new players, it's definately doable (it's actually only a tiny area leading to greater dangers below) but you were on the right track heading towards the church (Parish) - which has two extremely useful lead-off paths, one back to somewhere very familiar, and the other to someONE very useful, who you should take full advantage of as soon as you find them.
A Blacksmith who can upgrade your weapons. Weapon upgrading is far more important to progressing than levelling up in Souls.

I agree about the lack of the kick on curved swords, the little somersault slash looks cool but the kick is far more useful. Spears are great because you can attack with your shield still up - but this takes better management of your stamina as it regenerates a lot slower when your shield is up. If you get hit with no or very low stamina you will get staggered which can lead to a very quick death!

Soulhouf

I agree about the lack of the kick on curved swords, the little somersault slash looks cool but the kick is far more useful. Spears are great because you can attack with your shield still up - but this takes better management of your stamina as it regenerates a lot slower when your shield is up. If you get hit with no or very low stamina you will get staggered which can lead to a very quick death!

How many times I fell to my death because I accidentally triggered that stupid backstep attack lol

eot

Banned
I'm doing the no shield thing, albeit with one on my back for the stamina regen, and I went down to Blighttown to get the great club, or possibly the large club. Amazingly the first troll I killed dropped the large variant. Then I spent a few hours trying to get it to +15 before fighting the gargoyles. Getting past the ghosts below Ingward without a shield was by far the hardest part, but now my weapon is horribly overpowered and that's kinda fun. I did start off by 'fisting' the asylum demon, which took me more tries than it had any right to. You punch one time too many in 15 minutes and that could be it.

How many times I fell to my death because I accidentally triggered that stupid backstep attack lol

Yup. I just fell off a new time for the first time though. Tried to heavy attack a ghost through a wall, but it didn't connect so I bounced back from the hit and fell into the water.

Nerokis

Thanks for the tips, Red Liquorice. Yeah, one of the first things I did in this game was get killed at the graveyard, so I just wanted to go back and see if I could make any progress there. That's where I found the Winged Spear, which has been my introduction to spear class weapons, so it wasn't totally unproductive. :)

Excited to get further into the church later.

The rapier backstep is kind of neat. The curved sword cartwheel thing, basically useless.

It bugs me how there aren't any readily-available strength swords to go with a greatshield. I want be a huge knight with a sword, like Tarkus, but nearly all the greatswords are quality.

velociraptor

Wow, I'm finally winning at PvP.

Just finished the game for a second time. Decided to hang around at the Undead Burg.

Got invaded about 8 times. Won 7, lost 1.

Feels good man.

Actually, I died twice but I don't think that death counted. I faced a guy with 18000HP! :| Fucking cheaters :<

As I have no desire to complete the game again, I think I'll probably hang around the UB as I seemed to have been invaded here more often in one hour than I did in an entire NG+ playthrough! I feel a bit stuck though - can't upgrade any of my weapons :\

Booshka

Wow, I'm finally winning at PvP.

Just finished the game for a second time. Decided to hang around at the Undead Burg.

Got invaded about 8 times. Won 7, lost 1.

Feels good man.

Actually, I died twice but I don't think that death counted. I faced a guy with 18000HP! :| Fucking cheaters :<

As I have no desire to complete the game again, I think I'll probably hang around the UB as I seemed to have been invaded here more often in one hour than I did in an entire NG+ playthrough! I feel a bit stuck though - can't upgrade any of my weapons :\

Master Key or Undead Burg Skip to Lower Undead Burg, kill Capra, grab Large ember, Homeward Bone. Kill Ingward in New Londo, drain it, grab Very Large Ember, homeward bone. Talk to Andre, and you are good to go. Only have to kill Capra to get the two best Embers.

2AdEPT

I'm honestly not worried about getting the 'best' weapon I can or anything this time around. I just want something fun that I think looks nice and gives me a different playstyle to the DEX build I did my first playthrough.
Dragon Great Axe has an R2 AOE that splashes 400 damage on mobs from a fair range...a close up direct hit.grants 800 with lots of STR.
The Rapier does more damage because it's +13, and the Greatsword isn't upgraded, though even then I'm not sure. It's also, you know, significantly faster.

If you want to play melee, why go magic? The MGS is awesome for its ranged one and two handed R2's ....you did try those right?!?!!? I'm not great at PVP but my magic characters have the most kills and they win based on the ranged attacks of the MGS.

Master Key or Undead Burg Skip to Lower Undead Burg, kill Capra, grab Large ember, Homeward Bone. Kill Ingward in New Londo, drain it, grab Very Large Ember, homeward bone. Talk to Andre, and you are good to go. Only have to kill Capra to get the two best Embers.

Yep and if you use the fall down short cut to Capra it can take as little as 2 minutes into the game!!!

krakov

The rapier backstep is kind of neat. The curved sword cartwheel thing, basically useless.

It bugs me how there aren't any readily-available strength swords to go with a greatshield. I want be a huge knight with a sword, like Tarkus, but nearly all the greatswords are quality.

Zwei or greatsword are both great with as little as 27 str and required dex. I guess demon great machete best fits the bill and you can get it super early as well.

Toxi

Banned
There is one odd useful application of the curved sword cartwheel: It can be used when under the effects of Iron Flesh and is much faster than regular movement under that spell.

VALKYRAY

Banned
Shit... I'll never beat Manus, I can't even take half his health =/ His timing is so unpredictable.

i felt the same when fighting 4 kings at extreme low level (single digit). but after 30+ tries, I finally got them. feels good man.
every time you die, you should think about what you have done wrong, and what you could have done to avoid it.

schwupp

i want to start a new game as a caster.
can anyone recommend a powerful pve build?
i browsed through the wiki - but there is no way to tell if the posted build is any good :-/

velociraptor

But how would I get to Andre without killing Taurus Demon?

chunk3rvd

Was just PVPing in the forest and some piece of shit hit me with a TWOP from miles away that inflicted me with curse and egghead. No idea if it caused any further damage as I rolled my save back 5 minutes immediately but still a pain in the arse. Reported him for all the good it won't do :/

There is one odd useful application of the curved sword cartwheel: It can be used when under the effects of Iron Flesh and is much faster than regular movement under that spell.
That is quite interesting actually, would've never thought of that.

Go down down from Firelink Shrine into New Londo->Valley of The Drakes->Darkroot Basin->Darkroot Garden->Andre.
Also if you do this route before triggering the Dragon in Undead Burg, you can open up the Sunlight Altar gate with ease because the dragon won't be on the bridge.

VALKYRAY

Banned
i want to start a new game as a caster.
can anyone recommend a powerful pve build?
i browsed through the wiki - but there is no way to tell if the posted build is any good :-/
YouTube search for dark souls easy mode walkthrough done by the phantom reviewer

Can a faith build be fun? I'm itching for another run :/

I've rolled a pure faith, faith/dex, and I'm currently using a faith/strength build. I'd say that faith complements just about any playstyle. Pairing it with dex is probably the most viable build for PVP, but faith/str can also be powerful if you master your timing.

Just had an interesting summon for the Demon Firesage, the white phantom used anti-magic spell to stop the DF from using his AoE blast. Unfortunately as a sorcerer myself I was left stabbing at his feet with my puny +3 lightning rapier - but I've never seen that before, assume it would also work with similar bosses like Stray Demon, Quelaag.

Watching you in the Crystal Caves, whilst also playing and in the Crystal Caves..... Inception. XD

rCIZZLE

So I'm finally back to this game looking to finish my first playthrough after setting it down over a year ago. I'm at anor londo and it seems like my drake sword is finally showing it's newbieness. Only problem is, despite having so many choices, none seem to do the damage as the drake sword. What kind of replacement did you guys start using around this stage? Something that's worth upgrading and holding onto for much of the rest of the game.

So I'm finally back to this game looking to finish my first playthrough after setting it down over a year ago. I'm at anor londo and it seems like my drake sword is finally showing it's newbieness. Only problem is, despite having so many choices, none seem to do the damage as the drake sword. What kind of replacement did you guys start using around this stage? Something that's worth upgrading and holding onto for much of the rest of the game.

They don't do comparable because you haven't been upgrading them. You need to get them to +5, get back to Andre so he can modify them to +6, then take them back to the giant blacksmith because he sells the Large Titanite Shards you need to reach +10.

You can easily reach Undead Parish again by going back to Sen's Fortress. If you don't have the shortcut to get through the Fortress then
go to the tower with the merchant (he's across a gap on the bridge overlooking the giant who's dropping stones), then going to the bottom and getting the Cage Key. Then take it to the tower where the bomb giant was, and use it to open the cage and ride it back down to near the beginning of Sen's Fortress.

What are your stats like (Strength and Dexterity in particular) and what weapons are in your inventory?

rCIZZLE

I just upgraded the Lightning Spear to +3 and have been using that so far. It's not night-and-day better but I'm seeing a pretty big boost in damage. Besides that I have a ton of random weapons that I don't have the stats to use like Dragon Tooth and Dragon King Greataxe as well as a lot of generics.

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

Been putting most in Vitality which I'm not sure is exactly right lol.

GRIP

I just upgraded the Lightning Spear to +3 and have been using that so far. It's not night-and-day better but I'm seeing a pretty big boost in damage. Besides that I have a ton of random weapons that I don't have the stats to use like Dragon Tooth and Dragon King Greataxe as well as a lot of generics.

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

Start leveling up Dexterity. A lot of very good weapons scale with dex (they get stronger as you level up). Your strength and vitality are fine for the point in the game you are at. Also level up endurance. That will increase your weapons load as well as the more obvious benefit of having more stamina which is very important for tougher enemies.

Edit: I'd recommend the Halberd for a good all around weapon. It scales with Strength and Dexterity and once you start leveling it up it wrecks shit. It's also not that heavy. I cruised through my NG+ run pretty much just using my +15 Halberd.

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

The Lightning spear has an elemental modification, so it has issues scaling with your stats. Although it helps against Smough.

And it doesn't matter if they're "generics," something like the Longsword can still be one of the best weapons to use.

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

No such thing as a generic weapon, everything is viable.

It's not like your build is broken or anything, you could still take it in a few distinct directions. You could try boosting your dexterity as others have recommended, or you could just go for a balls-out pure-strength build if you like the weapons. You could even boost int or faith for access to weapon buffs, if you want.

Noob questions despite my 200 hours clocked thus far:

> What is with the fog gates appearing and disappearing randomly in areas?
> Does not having cleared the area's boss impact your ability to invade? I swear my success rate for invading at Oolacile Township is a good 50% less than my last run-through with Manus dead.

Spanks, doods.

Noob questions despite my 200 hours clocked thus far:

> What is with the fog gates appearing and disappearing randomly in areas?
> Does not having cleared the area's boss impact your ability to invade? I swear my success rate for invading at Oolacile Township is a good 50% less than my last run-through with Manus dead.

Spanks, doods.
Fog gates lock off the area when you are getting invaded (or trying to be invaded, if it fails the fog will just disappear).

Clearing the boss doesn't impact you invading, it just stops others invading you in that area. The PC version is notoriously poor for invasions and summoning other players, so that probably accounts for your troubles if you are on the PC version.

Fog gates lock off the area when you are getting invaded (or trying to be invaded, if it fails the fog will just disappear).

Clearing the boss doesn't impact you invading, it just stops others invading you in that area. The PC version is notoriously poor for invasions and summoning other players, so that probably accounts for your troubles if you are on the PC version.

Ah, yep. Assumed as much with fog gates. Thanks, dude.

I'm on 360. Maybe it's because I'm constantly copping invasion attempts? Would that more or less nullify my attempts to invade?

Arjen

I always facepalm when I see someone post stats of str 30+ and they're wielding the Drake sword and/or the Lightning Spear...

Everybody fucks up their first build, but i agree, i always wonder how the hell you're not noticing your damage doesn't go up when your leveling strength with a drake sword or something equiped.

rCIZZLE

I always facepalm when I see someone post stats of str 30+ and they're wielding the Drake sword and/or the Lightning Spear...

Usually I'm more focused on learning how to beat the new enemies than worrying about maximizing my damage. Only started to notice the fights taking a bit long recently.

Sorry that I made you disappointed by playing my video game incorrectly.

Everybody fucks up their first build, but i agree, i always wonder how the hell you're not noticing your damage doesn't go up when your leveling strength with a drake sword or something equiped.

Like I said before, I just picked this up again after well over a year. Pretty sure I just leveled STR at the start since the initial weapons I had were terrible. Then someone suggested I get the Drake Sword and after that I basically only leveled Vitality since damage was no longer a problem.

eot

Banned

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

If I were you I'd start putting points in endurance and try to find a good str weapon since you already have a lot of points in that. See if you picked up the Great Club down in Blighttown. Upgraded it deals massive damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom