• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, yep. Assumed as much with fog gates. Thanks, dude.

I'm on 360. Maybe it's because I'm constantly copping invasion attempts? Would that more or less nullify my attempts to invade?
I don't think one has an effect on the other. You can't invade if someone else is trying to invade, so if the fog gate goes up, you just have to wait until it's gone to try and invade.

Don't know how it is on 360, assume it's the same on PS3 - where someone tries to invade, but fails - the fog goes down, but I still can't use the bonfire for a short period, and invasions/summon signs won't work either (the animation happens, but no summon sign appears on the ground) until the fire is relit. I usually just quit to main menu and reload when this happens.

I always facepalm when I see someone post stats of str 30+ and they're wielding the Drake sword and/or the Lightning Spear...
It's true! I think though because the game doesn't make explicitly clear about the upgrade and levelling systems a lot of new players don't know how to get the best of them.

A lot of people come in this thread and we all say "use a weapon that scales with your stats" -- so I guess a lot of people aren't doing that until they figure it out or it's pointed out to them.

I'm all for the less is more philosophy of Souls, but there are some really simple, fundamental gameplay mechanics that do need to be pointed out more clearly, humanity and it's uses being probably the biggest one.

Seanspeed

Banned
Everybody fucks up their first build, but i agree, i always wonder how the hell you're not noticing your damage doesn't go up when your leveling strength with a drake sword or something equiped.
To be fair, without a guide or somebody to tell you, its not easy to figure out how the damage stat system works on your own.

Seems obvious to a lot of us now, but it certainly didn't to me when I first played.

In fact, I never even realized how magic damage factored in until after I beat the game. And only by asking here.

Soulhouf

To be fair, without a guide or somebody to tell you, its not easy to figure out how the damage stat system works on your own.

Seems obvious to a lot of us now, but it certainly didn't to me when I first played.

In fact, I never even realized how magic damage factored in until after I beat the game. And only by asking here.

It's obvious but as long as I don't see an improvement of something when I increase a stat, I don't do it.
And this applies to every RPG I play.

Usually I'm more focused on learning how to beat the new enemies than worrying about maximizing my damage. Only started to notice the fights taking a bit long recently.

Sorry that I made you disappointed by playing my video game incorrectly.

Like I said before, I just picked this up again after well over a year. Pretty sure I just leveled STR at the start since the initial weapons I had were terrible. Then someone suggested I get the Drake Sword and after that I basically only leveled Vitality since damage was no longer a problem.

The only "terrible" weapon is Broken Straight Sword. Everything else deals good damage when upgraded. And go punch that person. Not too hard, but you know. Hard enough to let them know they screwed up.

I've thought about doing a Broken Sword run, but even fully upgraded or elemental it's trash.
Would be kind of fun if there was a certain upgrade path or tough boss that it worked really well with!

Completely unrelated thought: I've often wondered if the gold serpent ring has any effect when you're a phantom? Say the host summons you, do the enemies you kill as a phantom have that higher chance of dropping?

Sullichin

I've thought about doing a Broken Sword run, but even fully upgraded or elemental it's trash.
Would be kind of fun if there was a certain upgrade path or tough boss that it worked really well with!

Completely unrelated thought: I've often wondered if the gold serpent ring has any effect when you're a phantom? Say the host summons you, do the enemies you kill as a phantom have that higher chance of dropping?

I think it would be cool if phantoms also got a chance to get loot from enemies in Dark Souls II

Usually I'm more focused on learning how to beat the new enemies than worrying about maximizing my damage. Only started to notice the fights taking a bit long recently.

You're playing just fine. You can do more with familiarity and skill than you can with a good weapon.

2AdEPT

Can a faith build be fun? I'm itching for another run :/

i want to start a new game as a caster.
can anyone recommend a powerful pve build?
i browsed through the wiki - but there is no way to tell if the posted build is any good :-/
I recommend a "skywalker" build. Take faith to 30, rest in dex. Get washing pole, do sunbro and darkmoon blade covenent. You can wreck stuff with your light sabre, use emit force that you get from Siegermayer, and throw lightning like the emporer. Max benefit with various rings, including one in particular from anor londo.You don't have to go all the way....but sage robe and a hood make it pretty authentic! Particularly good build for PvE.

Like I said before, I just picked this up again after well over a year. Pretty sure I just leveled STR at the start since the initial weapons I had were terrible. Then someone suggested I get the Drake Sword and after that I basically only leveled Vitality since damage was no longer a problem.
Yeah, no one expects you to know this stuff....no worries. But yeah, good advice above, get more end. You are not too high in STR if you choose to go that route for weapons. But keep in mind, the STR stat just allows you to hold the weapon and does not impact unless you are trying to boost the damage of a weapon that rewards high STR. you can two hand many weapons that say the requirement is high. There is no need to cancel your playthrough, but starting over is an option, as most players cab get to your point in the game in a couple hours once they know where to go. Even less if you speed run or hire help. Learning how to ask questions like you have, and to use wiki intelligently, yet sparingly, is part of the fun. Your current stats are fine for the washing pole, my favourite weapon (ridiculously long katana that will benefit from both STR and DEX.) But you may need some wiki help in order to acquire it.

Other great weapons include but are not limited to scythes, halberds, any black knight weapons (semi rare drops but not an issue on PC version as you can reload saves.) Specifically good for STR include clubs, man serpent great sword, demon great machete, but as mentioned, it will take time to upgrade these. Your dragon great axe is a unique and powerful weapon but will take longer to upgrade and require you to travel quite far as the materials are rare. You will want a plus 10 weapon for the anor Londo boss. So ensure you take the large ember from the depths to Andre the blacksmith.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's a good place for Sunlight medals at level 70?

And even better can you farm Eye of Deaths? I know you can for Souvenirs of Reprisals.

Township only has 2 enemy types. I don't even like the dlc aside from Artorias, so it's a good thing I have the PC version.

New Londo Ruins I'd say is the worst of it, though. Those ghosts are unbelievably annoying and you don't get nearly enough time fighting Darkwraiths or exploring the ruins once the water is drained.

6for8

Just had an interesting summon for the Demon Firesage, the white phantom used anti-magic spell to stop the DF from using his AoE blast. Unfortunately as a sorcerer myself I was left stabbing at his feet with my puny +3 lightning rapier - but I've never seen that before, assume it would also work with similar bosses like Stray Demon, Quelaag.

Read this yesterday and needed to give it a whirl.

Stray demon was impotent. It kept trying to hit me with magic and would leave itself wide open. Easy mode for this boss.
I didn't think it would work on Queequeg, as her blast is fire, but gave it a try anyway. It shows the spell active but her blast still works.

Need to try this in 4k and Nito. Would the grab still work?

Thanks for the info.

Got it. Just leaves getting the embers, mopping up spells and finishing two convents (Sunlight medals at level 70?) to finish the PC achievement list up...
The sunlight maggots in the Demon Ruins/Izalith tunnel drop them, but I've never found that a good way to farm - long run from bonfire, and crappy drop rate. Better to have a co-op session.

@ SL70, I'd say Artorias, Nito, 4 Kings and Seath would be active. I did a load of 4 Kings and Seath co-op yesterday on PS3 @ SL60.

Read this yesterday and needed to give it a whirl.

Stray demon was impotent. It kept trying to hit me with magic and would leave itself wide open. Easy mode for this boss.
I didn't think it would work on Queequeg, as her blast is fire, but gave it a try anyway. It shows the spell active but her blast still works.

Need to try this in 4k and Nito. Would the grab still work?

Thanks for the info.
I think Queelag's blast is still magic (pretty sure), I bet it doesn't work on the 4 Kings either!

6for8

I think Queelag's blast is still magic (pretty sure), I bet it doesn't work on the 4 Kings either!

Just tested it on Nito. Doesn't work. Host still sent message of thanks because my Zwei was working fine :)

I have tested Queequegs blast multiple times and I am positive it's fire......almost. Try a crest shield and a dragon crest shield to compare. A BK shield takes the blast like a champ.

AlexBasch

I thought I was gonna beat the Bell Gargoyles with vanilla weapons for the first time. But nope, they clinged to that fucking 1HP or whatever.

Had to cheat and use Pine Resin, just like the first time. FFS.

Seance

Banned
I just upgraded the Lightning Spear to +3 and have been using that so far. It's not night-and-day better but I'm seeing a pretty big boost in damage. Besides that I have a ton of random weapons that I don't have the stats to use like Dragon Tooth and Dragon King Greataxe as well as a lot of generics.

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

Been putting most in Vitality which I'm not sure is exactly right lol.

Builds good. Get your end up. Bringing your strength up to 40 and dex to 18 will allow you to utilise a huge array of devastating str weapons, including the black knight weapons, to their fullest potential.

eot

Banned
Township only has 2 enemy types. I don't even like the dlc aside from Artorias, so it's a good thing I have the PC version.

New Londo Ruins I'd say is the worst of it, though. Those ghosts are unbelievably annoying and you don't get nearly enough time fighting Darkwraiths or exploring the ruins once the water is drained.

I thought the encounter design was good. The setup on the bridge by the shortcut with the two mages was particularly tricky. Also, aren't the glowing bloatheads a 3rd enemy? :p

The sunlight maggots in the Demon Ruins/Izalith tunnel drop them, but I've never found that a good way to farm - long run from bonfire, and crappy drop rate. Better to have a co-op session.

@ SL70, I'd say Artorias, Nito, 4 Kings and Seath would be active. I did a load of 4 Kings and Seath co-op yesterday on PS3 @ SL60.

Could also try pinky and perky, painted world and kiln.

As for the maggots that run isn't too bad if you come down from daughter of chaos. I usually get 1 medal per 2 runs or something like that. It's still faster than co-oping. Just dull. The big door opens for free from the far side btw. Just in case you didn't know.

As for the maggots that run isn't too bad if you come down from daughter of chaos. I usually get 1 medal per 2 runs or something like that. It's still faster than co-oping. Just dull. The big door opens for free from the far side btw. Just in case you didn't know.
Totally didn't think of that. I was imagining running from Demon Ruins or Lost Izalith, duh me!

I just upgraded the Lightning Spear to +3 and have been using that so far. It's not night-and-day better but I'm seeing a pretty big boost in damage. Besides that I have a ton of random weapons that I don't have the stats to use like Dragon Tooth and Dragon King Greataxe as well as a lot of generics.

Stats are:
Levl 58
Vit 33
Att 10
End 18
Str 31
Dex 15
Res 12
Int 9
Faith 12

Been putting most in Vitality which I'm not sure is exactly right lol.
Looks like a strength build. Raise strength to 40 and leave dex alone unless you're planning to use the Black Knight weapons. Raise endurance to 40 and aim for 53 poise. I recommend man-serpent greatsword. It has great scaling with strength. The elemental weapons have very low scaling off stats or none. Get a weapon you enjoy with a moveset you like to +15.

Just under 2 million souls down the drain thanks to those fucking pinwheel fucks in TotG.

I'm trying to get platinum on my main account since I realised I never did so, currently in NG+ and I forgot to equip a sacrifice ring (of course) when I slid off the ledge and got fucked up on the way back to Nito. It's not the souls, it's the fact I didn't take 100% precaution - DS NG+ without a rare ring of sacrifice is like bareback sex with a backstreet whore. :(

Especially got to use the ring of sacrifice on Bed of Chaos and on Seath for the first encounter.
The strategy I used for Bed of Chaos was once I destroyed one section. I cast Iron Flesh so I can't get knocked back which is about 80% of my deaths the first time. Heal and walk to the other side and destroy that section.

I hope you're feeling lucky with your jumps. Seriously, fuck Bed of Chaos.

Especially got to use the ring of sacrifice on Bed of Chaos and on Seath for the first encounter.
The strategy I used for Bed of Chaos was once I destroyed one section. I cast Iron Flesh so I can't get knocked back which is about 80% of my deaths the first time. Heal and walk to the other side and destroy that section.

I hope you're feeling lucky with your jumps. Seriously, fuck Bed of Chaos.
You can reload after each hit of Bed of Chaos. I guess they knew that encounter was bullshit so they made it so that even if you die/reload the hits on the left/right branches count.
Also - Never jump, just take the two sweeping hits with a strong shield, then drop down to the central branch.

I was worried about doing the Four Kings despite getting hours of practice in the past couple of days, but now I've lost the treasure chest, I don't give a shit!

eot

Banned
I think I'm going to start an SL1 run today, not sure about what rules to impose on myself though. For example, you can just rush to the catacombs, drop down almost right away, summon Leeroy to distract the wheel guys and have him kill Pinwheel to get the rite of kindling before doing anything else. On one hand it seems like you'll need every advantage you can get, but on the other doing things like that feel counter to a challenge run.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wrapped up Seath in NG+ last night. Such a gorgeous boss. Died twice attemtping to get his tail which was able to knock me flat and kill me with a second hit before I could get up. Once I started ignoring he went down easy.

9729899910_b56e2429f7_o.png

I think I'm going to start an SL1 run today, not sure about what rules to impose on myself though. For example, you can just rush to the catacombs, drop down almost right away, summon Leeroy to distract the wheel guys and have him kill Pinwheel to get the rite of kindling before doing anything else. On one hand it seems like you'll need every advantage you can get, but on the other doing things like that feel counter to a challenge run.
I say use all the advantages you can! You will probably be limited to using the reinforced club and pyromancy any way. You could grab the firebombs from Firelink to take out the Necromancer quickly in the bonfire room in the Catacombs, drop down to Pinwheel - as you say a couple of shots from Leeroy and he's toast. It can get tricky if his AI isn't doing anything and Pinwheel's clones start to add up. Then homebone back, now with the souls from Pinwheel, get a reinforced club up to +5, then take it to Vamos to make it fire. That there gives you a starting weapon that will bust open almost everything early on except Quelaag - a regular reinforced club for her.

Still haven't finished my SL1 run, I got up to Manus I think and decided I was too chicken shit for that fight!

Arjen

I stopped my SL1 run after beating biggie and smalls. I figured that would be my biggest challenge, and it got a bit boring using the same weapon all the time honestly.

Hobobloke

For my SL1 I stopped at the kiln as I didn't want to NG+ haven't played the DLC on it yet though.

The only restriction I'd say to impose is no summons, I imagine O&S and others would be much less challenging with help from Solaire or the like.

Soulhouf

I'm pretty good at the 4 kings fight, got lots of practice, can pretty much dodge every attack. But yeah i should try it. And going trough the DLC with elemental weapons sounds like pure torture, fuck that.

Dagger +15 > Chaos/Lightning Reinforced Club even at SL1
The fact that it's very fast and consumes very little stamina makes a huge difference. Especially when you can buff it with resin.

Trying to platinum on main account and Gwyn is ruining my day on NG+. Need to get to NG++ for a third soul of Sif, the rare weapons trophy is the only one I have left.

YMMV, but it seems there are some bosses who don't have that many summons for and I've found it better to go online at odd times so to find Japanese players. 4 Kings and Gwyn seem to be the main offenders for me. Sometimes I can drop my summon sign in New Londo and be waiting forever for a summon, but if I go on when Japanese players are around I can summon/get summoned far more regularly.

I guess certain bosses are harder than others, so people just want to be done with them and then leave. I always try and pay it forward for bosses, the game is still so active in general, it's great.

Soulhouf

Trying to platinum on main account and Gwyn is ruining my day on NG+. Need to get to NG++ for a third soul of Sif, the rare weapons trophy is the only one I have left.

YMMV, but it seems there are some bosses who don't have that many summons for and I've found it better to go online at odd times so to find Japanese players. 4 Kings and Gwyn seem to be the main offenders for me. Sometimes I can drop my summon sign in New Londo and be waiting forever for a summon, but if I go on when Japanese players are around I can summon/get summoned far more regularly.

I guess certain bosses are harder than others, so people just want to be done with them and then leave. I always try and pay it forward for bosses, the game is still so active in general, it's great.

I remember the Japanese players used to be very active in that area. 9/10 of my summoners used to be Japanese. They like doing absurd things like NG+17 SL1. I had the best co-op experience in that area.

As for the bosses' souls, I have many extra ones scattered among my many builds and I would be happy to give them to you.

PSN ID: Soulhouf.

I'll take you up on that offer, I literally just need 1 Soul of Sif to get the platinum.

I'm SL70.

edit - I finally fucking did it! Just after I sent you a friend request. Think I'm good now, but if Sif gives me trouble, I'll still take you up on the offer! :)

Thanks for the try Soulhouf. Every time I put my sign down I would get invaded. There must've been about 6 or 7 different people who killed me whilst I was messaging you, such bad manners!

Soulhouf

Thanks for the try Soulhouf. Every time I put my sign down I would get invaded. There must've been about 6 or 7 different people who killed me whilst I was messaging you, such bad manners!

Same here, I was constantly being invaded. It's a shame we didn't have other options than the Burg, because that place is still as crowded as ever.

I never get invaded when I do PVP-friendly characters. It's always on characters with stuff like spear and medium armor or big guy with a club.

So true. The only time I ever get invaded is when I'm not prepared. Once my build's complete and off the ground, though? Nothing. Makes me want to stop building characters with any thought put towards PVP at all.

Vizzeh

Banned
Can anyone recommend playing demon souls AFTER completing this game, I hear demon souls is a good game in its own right but more like an unpolished replica of Darksouls?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Can anyone recommend playing demon souls AFTER completing this game, I hear demon souls is a good game in its own right but more like an unpolished replica of Darksouls?

woow that is definitely false. It's not unpolished at all and although the combat is the same, the design is very different (open world of DkS vs hub/'level' structure of DeS). That alone makes for a vastly different experience.
It's quite simple, if you enjoyed DkS and you want more, you owe it to yourself to check out Demon's. The only thing you'd have to get used to is that there's an equip burden in DeS.
Calling it an unpolished replica is an insult to DeS :)

Vizzeh

Banned
woow that is definitely false. It's not unpolished at all and although the combat is the same, the design is very different (open world of DkS vs hub/'level' structure of DeS). That alone makes for a vastly different experience.
It's quite simple, if you enjoyed DkS and you want more, you owe it to yourself to check out Demon's. The only thing you'd have to get used to is that there's an equip burden in DeS.
Calling it an unpolished replica is an insult to DeS :)

Sounds good, so basically in these hub worlds, you complete each level at a time? In darksouls I did enjoy finding out where to go without my hand being held but I guess coming up to the end of this Gen, I wont quite have the hours to pump into it so a slightly more easier traveling could be welcomed. The unpolished was definitely no my words :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom