• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Grind 10 levels of strength and enable beast mode two handing the dragon greatsword.

Now that Andre is dead, you are free to eat for souls all the boss souls since you need to +10 a weapon for ascension and only Andre can.

The dragon greatsword does respectable damage at +5 and the special R2 is always useful for tight situations (don't forget to buy repair powder).

Alternatively, as everyone has suggested, go fire or chaos if you think you can hold 10 soft humanity.

Now farming dragon scales to upgrade sword is a pain but... you can get 8 of them (all you need to +5 the sword) without killing a single dragon.

Thanks, so I can consume all boss souls since Andre is dead then? How about in NG+, can't I use the souls then if I chose to (when Andre is back)?

Booshka

Thanks, so I can consume all boss souls since Andre is dead then? How about in NG+, can't I use the souls then if I chose to (when Andre is back)?

Andre doesnt forge boss soul weapons, the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo does. But, you do need a +10 weapon in order to forge a Boss soul weapon, taking a weapon from +5 to +10 requires Andre. Only exception I can think of is if you revert the Lightning Spear from Sen's to +10, then you can make it a boss soul weapon. But the spears you can craft aren't very good, unless you are a pure intelligence build, or overleveled with a ton of stats in STR/DEX and Faith.

fanboi

Banned
Andre doesnt forge boss soul weapons, the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo does. But, you do need a +10 weapon in order to forge a Boss soul weapon, taking a weapon from +5 to +10 requires Andre. Only exception I can think of is if you revert the Lightning Spear from Sen's to +10, then you can make it a boss soul weapon. But the spears you can craft aren't very good, unless you are a pure intelligence build, or overleveled with a ton of stats in STR/DEX and Faith.

Okay!

But can I consume the souls then? Or can I use them in NG+ or do I need to get them again then?

Booshka

Okay!

But can I consume the souls then? Or can I use them in NG+ or do I need to get them again then?

Just keep them, you can mess around and forge the boss souls another playthrough. If you get a wild hair up your ass to go for achievements, you'll need those weapons. You get plenty of souls in NG+, so don't worry about consuming the souls for the short term gains.

Soulhouf

Thanks guys, here is my stats:

Im using this weapon:

Do you have the Dragon King Great Axe? (from the Gapin Dragon tail).
You'll need to increase your str to 34 to be able to use it 2H but it's very powerful.
Even better, go to Ash Lake and cut off the Old Dragon's tail there and you'll get a very powerful sword.

Other than that, your best bet is Silver Knight weapons. Try to farm the ones near the bonfire in Anor Londo.

Orayn

Probably gonna stream a fresh character with Aggression Mode later today, around 4:00-6:00 PM Central (GMT -5) if anyone wants to watch.

eot

Banned
Yes open the door if you have the souls. an experienced player can farm the inhabitants behind said door for 60000 souls in 20 minutes. I always have a list of thing to spend on a mile long at game start though...so I go in there to farm from the back door,get the 12ooo souls in there, then homeward out and open the door. It means climbing a ladder with a seven headed monster spamming magic damage at you, but I am cheap with those door souls until I get my character established!!!!!There are six NPC 's behind there each worth 1-2000 souls each...most respawn,....bonfire right there.....once you open it that is.

Why tell someone to farm a boring glitch for souls on their first playthrough when there's absolutely no need for it?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why tell someone to farm a boring glitch for souls on their first playthrough when there's absolutely no need for it?

I don't think it's a glitch. And people will decide for themselves whether or not farming is worthwhile. 99% of farming I did on my first run was for building new weapons to test out which is about as harmless as it gets.

eot

Banned
I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just boring. I don't think this is a game where you need to farm to progress. So if someone's just killed the Gargoyles I wouldn't tell them to go to Darkroot and farm souls, because why?

2AdEPT

I'm not saying it's wrong, it's just boring. I don't think this is a game where you need to farm to progress. So if someone's just killed the Gargoyles I wouldn't tell them to go to Darkroot and farm souls, because why?

First, the poster specifically asked if he should open the door or SAVE the souls...obviously having the door open is more convenient and being able to earn back the souls quickly makes the specific answer to the question an obvious one.

who said anything about a glitch? you can straight out kill the forest people and practice one on one battles....although inexperienced players may take longer than I said it would take for an experienced player I was careful not to mention any cheap tactics...those are best discovered on ones own. :p

of course this is a farming game.....Demon's was also. Except for when doing a SL1 no upgrades run, its all about getting your equipment leveled early. You know invaders are going to be buff, and why help new players as a phantom unless you can hit hard? I have done a SL1 no-upgrades run, and never upgrade vitality anymore to stay low level to help....so I enjoy to be glass cannon. This is so much more fun than 90% of the tank styles I see waddling around....and yet that is a viable play style so by all means choose what you will.

early game ...and I mean early....like right out of firelink...there is no better place to start getting your equipment going...especially with Shiva's locker at your disposal when you leave. To me it wouldbe boring to grind souls for stones any other way unless co-op was hot...most of the time it has not been on PC but you make a good point for recently, as the sale and DSCFIX has helped that. Once you get proper equipment co-op and other places like painted world, the anor Londo main hall, etc are better for farming for sure....but the forest is less boring..the AI for those NPC characters is more diverse than the grunts in painted and anor londo.

When speaking of armor

Poise of 54 Physical Defense of around 270 Elemental defenses Slightly lower?

Would this do or is that defense too low(assuming you have around 1500 health?

This is for SL 100 pvp.

2AdEPT

When speaking of armor

Poise of 54 Physical Defense of around 270 Elemental defenses Slightly lower?

Would this do or is that defense too low(assuming you have around 1500 health?

This is for SL 100 pvp.

depends on your playstyle... for me 60-80 is as far as I go for PVP...I use more endurance and less vitality and like full roll and Dex weapons with reach (washing pole, scythes)....I die often, but don't care. I enjoy being creative and finding a way to win as the underdog. Most people go with exactly what you noted though so , to answer your question you should do fine with that.

Servbot24

Banned
I've been using a Black Knight Sword +5 for quite a long time and I feel like I should be upgrading to something else. My build levels up Vitality, Endurance, Strength, Dexterity and Resistance at an even pace, they're all around 40 right now and I'm in NG+. I haven't done the Artorias expansion yet but I will very soon. Any recommendations for weapons that will offer improvements?

chunk3rvd

I've been using a Black Knight Sword +5 for quite a long time and I feel like I should be upgrading to something else. My build levels up Vitality, Endurance, Strength, Dexterity and Resistance at an even pace, they're all around 40 right now and I'm in NG+. I haven't done the Artorias expansion yet but I will very soon. Any recommendations for weapons that will offer improvements?

Wow o_O

Not to be condescending but that's the first time I've seen someone invest THAT much in the only pointless stat in the game. Around 30 wasted levels there. Not the end of the world if you don't plan on doing PvP or Co-Op but means you must be paying a lot more souls for each level now

To answer your question, you want weapons that scale in both strength and dex and you want to take them to +15. Claymore or Zweihander will hit pretty hard with your stats

Servbot24

Banned
Wow o_O

Not to be condescending but that's the first time I've seen someone invest THAT much in the only pointless stat in the game. Around 30 wasted levels there. Not the end of the world if you don't plan on doing PvP or Co-Op but means you must be paying a lot more souls for each level now

To answer your question, you want weapons that scale in both strength and dex and you want to take them to +15. Claymore or Zweihander will hit pretty hard with your stats

Why is it pointless? I would think increasing your defensive stats would be important.

(Obviously I'm not as well-versed in this game as most people itt)

Soulhouf

Why is it pointless? I would think increasing your defensive stats would be important.

Any stat you increase will increase your defenses. Resistance will increase more at the beginning but will have a diminishing return faster the more you level up.

Take for example 2 characters SL120.
One with Resistance 40 and the other with base resistance and you'll see that the difference regarding the defenses and resistances is really small.

More important than that, starting from NG+, enemies will almost ignore defense when they hit you. If you want to increase your survivability, the only stat you need to increase is your vitality.

Servbot24

Banned
Hmm, well that sucks for me I guess, lol. Time to hit the brakes on that stat. Leveling is pretty expensive (around 125k right now), but it doesn't actually take too long to farm that so I'm not terribly bothered.

I'll try leveling up Zwei.

Soulhouf

Hmm, well that sucks for me I guess, lol. Time to hit the brakes on that stat. Leveling is pretty expensive (around 125k right now), but it doesn't actually take too long to farm that so I'm not terribly bothered.

Don't worry. It's very difficult to figure it out yourself in your first run. Especially when you're used to build a tank type of character in other RPGs.
If you don't play co-op/PvP, you're fine and you can continue to enjoy the game with your current character.
After you mastered the game well, you can start with a new character and min/max him the way you want.
There are a lot of things to learn in this game and it's one of its many strengths.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
At 40 str and 40 dex, the black knight great axe still has slightly higher AR than the zwei, and its moveset is much faster. Honestly I tried the zwei on my bkgaxe toon and I found it severely lacking. (This is for PvE.)
However it can't be buffed, so if you invested in faith or int at all it might be best to go with a +15 weapon that scales with both (zwei, murakumo, claymore, halberd).

The quickest way to farm souls is co-op. Slap down your summon sign in areas suitable to your level and make bank! :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

With that stats you can use effectively almost eveyr weapon in the game.

What are you looking for, quick weak strikes or slow demolishing blows.

Tilian

Banned
Good lord was there a sale on STR builds recently? Every other catbro / DW I run into these days is lugging that pocket tree over their shoulder or something like the Zwei, just fishing for bs.

Very few DEX builds instead, which I find the most enjoyable fighting. Though I did find a guy today dual-wielding claws and a whip which was awesome.

Booshka

Good lord was there a sale on STR builds recently? Every other catbro / DW I run into these days is lugging that pocket tree over their shoulder or something like the Zwei, just fishing for bs.

Very few DEX builds instead, which I find the most enjoyable fighting. Though I did find a guy today dual-wielding claws and a whip which was awesome.

Fishing backstabs with a +15 Great Club/Greataxe/BKGA/DGA has been a scrublord staple for as long as I can remember. Too bad that most players' use of huge STR weapons is just fishing for backstabs, I have been fighting people with them straight up for a long while now.

EDIT:What a great time to edit my post, Yami Tamashi has uploaded another brilliant PvP vid, this time showcasing Giant Axes, with the little Hand Axe along for the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFLHuKZKqHQ

Tilian

Banned
Fishing backstabs with a +15 Great Club/Greataxe/BKGA/DGA has been a scrublord staple for as long as I can remember. Too bad that most players' use of huge STR weapons is just fishing for backstabs, I have been fighting people with them straight up for a long while now.

EDIT:What a great time to edit my post, Yami Tamashi has uploaded another brilliant PvP vid, this time showcasing Giant Axes, with the little Hand Axe along for the ride.

Scrublord sounds very fitting :) But I wonder if the popularity of these STR builds can also be explained as an anti-ganking method to deal with 2-on-1. The catbros have a rough life, so I guess it makes sense for builds that can one-shot bs you.

And Jesus that guy Yamatamashii. Hilarious how toward the end in Anor Londo he's dealing with gankers with half health and he still reads the orange sign as he's whizzing by.

Soriku

Haha some moron sent me a PM on PS3 titled "reported" with no reason given. I couldn't see the guy on my Players Met list and I don't know if I killed him in PvP or not but I assume he mistook bad lag for hacking or something.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

For switching weapons, that video has the player using keyboard or mouse macro keys?
If yes than using exploits or a workaround is hardly skill based.

Or is is being played on a PS3?

Booshka

For switching weapons, that video has the player using keyboard or mouse macro keys?
If yes than using exploits or a workaround is hardly skill based.

Or is is being played on a PS3?

Xbox 360 with a controller, he's legit. Dude is just insanely fast and dexterous, his menu navigation is down to muscle memory.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I've got to say that although I've played this game a lot, O&S still terrify me!

Its weird because for the most part I find the game relatively stress-free, but as soon as I get to those two f*ckers... my blood-pressure goes through the roof. Which of course is the absolutely worst thing for that fight, so easy to push too hard and fast and get caught as a result. And so the cycle continues... ; ;

Its stupid because I've beaten the game probably 6 or 7 times (not including my lvl 254 "master" char with every item) and I know that its not that hard a fight if you pay attention.

Anyone else have a "traumatic" boss in DS?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Man, I can't summon people for shit. I can get invaded just fine though. Really wish I didn't kill Smough first playthrough. Ornstein is being a pain in the ass. I always get him down to a quarter health and I keep on screwing up for that last bit.

Sullichin

Man, I can't summon people for shit. I can get invaded just fine though. Really wish I didn't kill Smough first playthrough. Ornstein is being a pain in the ass. I always get him down to a quarter health and I keep on screwing up for that last bit.

PC? If so I can help, add me on steam/GFWL, same as my username here

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
PC? If so I can help, add me on steam/GFWL, same as my username here

Sent you an invite on steam :) Thanks!

Edit: I'm at SL 100 right now if that helps. Looks like you might have a character around that level holy crap! :D

Edit 2: Got him! What a pain! Note to self, kill him first before NG+ or make sure and kindle the fire to max that you're going to be using for the next round :mad:

Sullichin

Sent you an invite on steam :) Thanks!

Edit: I'm at SL 100 right now if that helps. Looks like you might have a character around that level holy crap! :D

Edit 2: Got him! What a pain! Note to self, kill him first before NG+ or make sure and kindle the fire to max that you're going to be using for the next round :mad:

Nice, I'll be on later tonight if you want to co-op a different boss.

What is up with the manserpant sword drop rate? I have been going at it for hours farming the first two in Sens. I have the serpent ring and still no luck. I don't ever remember it taking me this long before.

What is up with the manserpant sword drop rate? I have been going at it for hours farming the first two in Sens. I have the serpent ring and still no luck. I don't ever remember it taking me this long before.

You holding 10 humanities too? It shouldn't take that long. It's not one of the really rare drops but I have a theory that the game knows what you want and don't and takes the piss. I took ages over farming a large club and then on my next play through I went dex and I got 2 clubs in my 1st 3 kills on those guys and I wasn't even holding humanities let alone wearing the ring.

Got back to my embryo staged DEX pyro. Even though my gaming plate has more than enough games, this one lured me back again for a second playthrough, partly because of the DLC (Steam PtD edition).

Calibus

Seath the Scaleless, oh how I hate you. I was told that:
standing on either side of him up close avoids his curse attacks, but the big hitting crystal one still gets me,

Ergh!

Seath the Scaleless, oh how I hate you. I was told that:
standing on either side of him up close avoids his curse attacks, but the big hitting crystal one still gets me,

Ergh!

Just run right up to his center.
Get a feel for when he's charging his close-up crystal breath and sprint away. Wait for him to charge a new one, then sprint towards him so it misses and you get more hits. If you get him into that pattern, he's incredibly easy.

Booshka

Just run right up to his center.
Get a feel for when he's charging his close-up crystal breath and sprint away. Wait for him to charge a new one, then sprint towards him so it misses and you get more hits. If you get him into that pattern, he's incredibly easy.

Yep, this is the strat I use every time. It only gets interesting if I decide to go for the tail. Also the Slumbering Dragoncrest ring helps a lot on this fight.

Calibus

Thanks I'll try that. Never thought about the ring. I guess it's kind of like the Thief's Ring from Demon's. Of course, if a humongous dragon can't see someone in full armor charging him . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom