• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks guys, here is my stats:

x715K6Y.jpg

Im using this weapon:

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Erm... you have high dex and strength and very low int, but you use a weapon that scales with int? Dude... xD

Your best bet is to use a black knight or silver knight weapon, or the Gravelord Sword. Do you have any of that in stock? If you have the bk great axe, do use that, it's very, very good. The black knight sword is very good early on, but I never upgraded it so I don't know if it has lasting power. I never tried the halberd or the greatsword, but I hear they're decent. The Gravelord Sword is pretty good too.

fanboi

Banned
Erm... you have high dex and strength and very low int, but you use a weapon that scales with int? Dude... xD

Your best bet is to use a black knight or silver knight weapon, or the Gravelord Sword. Do you have any of that in stock? If you have the bk great axe, do use that, it's very, very good. The black knight sword is very good early on, but I never upgraded it so I don't know if it has lasting power. I never tried the halberd or the greatsword, but I hear they're decent. The Gravelord Sword is pretty good too.

well, I had the correct thingy on the sword, but somehow I accidently removed it for magic dmg... yes yes... I know (this was also after I killed the blacksmith :D).

EDIT: Don't have any of those items... where can one proccur those (aka farm) in the quickest possible way?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm I don't know how far into the game you are, if you're still early you should probably restart... By the way, if you accidentally aggro an NPC you can visit Oswald (where you rang the first bell) and pay a fee and it'll undo the aggro. You don't need to kill hostile NPCs.

The Gravelord Sword is probably the easiest one to get. It's found in the Catacombs, you need to nest into a coffin (near the Titanite Demon), and after a small cut scene it'll take you to a place where you can join the Gravelord covenant, and doing so will give you the weapon.

Note that in the Catacombs, you can also fight a black knight, and if you're lucky he'll drop the black knight great axe. If you get that drop, use that, it's a monster, really powerful. If not, try getting the Gravelord sword.

Edit:
well, I had the correct thingy on the sword, but somehow I accidently removed it for magic dmg... yes yes... I know (this was also after I killed the blacksmith :D).
I have to say, I have no idea what you just said. lol

fanboi

Banned
I had focused on upgrading the weapon so it scaled with str (was a while ago).

Not sure how far I am, I have just raised the snake thing with a dog head, beaten Andor Londo.

Soriku

Not sure how far I am, I have just raised the snake thing with a dog head, beaten Andor Londo.

Anor Londo is like 60% of the game or so, so you might as well keep going.

I cant see your Stats (images are blocked here at work), whats your STR and DEX at?

Regardless I still dont think you have to restart.

Your situation is bad but the game does give you a ton of alternate options. You can still make Fire and Chaos weapons. Those do very respectable damage, infact against a lot of bosses they do fantastic damage. The blacksmith in the catacombs takes your weapon from 0 to +5 and then from +5 to Fire or Chaos.

You also have the option to grab some Black or Silver Knight weapons. All of them can be upgraded without the blacksmith you killed. Black knight weapons are random drops and can be hard to get. Or you can farm for Silver Knight Sword or Silver Knight Spear in Anor Londo. Both of those are REALLY good.

You also have the option to start upgrading your Pyro glove. Fire spells do VERY good damage if combined with the right ring or equipment.

So yeah, you made the game a little tougher but by no means you are as screwed as you think you might be.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks.

My Strenght is at 24 and Dexterity at 25.

I'm using the crystal halberd now in the catacombs which works very well at least.

Yeah Crystal Halbred is great but its got low durability and you can only repair it by upgrading. Might wanna save it for the tough spots or boss fights.

If you are already in the catacombs, this would be a good time to make a Fire weapon with the blacksmith there (unless you manage to murder that blacksmith too :p). Chaos might not be viable since you need the Chaos ember and I doubt many people carry 10 humanity with them in their first playthrough. But you can still make a Fire weapon and take it to +5 before you need the fire ember to upgrade it to +10. Even a +5 Fire weapon will keep you going for a while. So get a weapon whose moveset you like and take it up the Fire path.

At the DEX/STR you have both the Silver Knight weapons are good options that will serve you well. You can even enchant the Silver Knight sword. If you are lucky you can pick up a Black knight weapon at some point which would be a great addition to your arsenal.

So that way you have a good Elemental weapon and a second weapon that also scales with your Stats. You are covered either way.

Thank you! So there is a blacksmith down here.
yes there is but he is well hidden and unless you are the sort of person who likes jumping off ledges to see where you end up you will probably need a guide to find him.

You really should get that gravelord sword to see if you like it's move set. It's quite powerful. If nothing happens when you get in the coffin it's because you don't have an eye of death. You can get one from behind that demon at the end of the room.

eot

Banned
If you're already running around the Catacombs, definitely get the Gravelord sword. It scales with both dex and str so it's a good match for your stats.

fanboi

Banned
Thanks!

The sword Im using now has by far my favourite move set which allows me to attack quick, far and do alot of dmg imo.

Calibus

That fight is such a pain in the ass the first time. Took me around 30 attempts before I finally beat them. If you're killing Smough last, wait till he does his little air melee attack and just role under him when he does it. It's really easy to time and you can usually get quite a few hits in before he recovers. Other than that, I'd say just stick close to the pillars so that if he does his charge attack it will break on those and you should be able to get some hits after that.

Thanks, I'll try. At least it's easy to get to them.

Unicorn

I feel like I'm stuck. I'm in Darkroot Gardens, can't go through the Valley of Drakes. Takes at least 15 spirit arrows to kill the first drake and I have no other spells. Moonlight Butterfly fucks me up.

I'm SL 26 with Longsword +5 and basically leather armor. I have the wolf ring and the Ring for killing Cairn. I just don't know where to go now.

I keep seeing mention to go to New Londo Ruins, but seeing videos I can tell I'm not ready. Where do I need to go to either get embers to make my longsword better or where do I go to get more spells. I just can't seem to find where to go.

I feel like I'm stuck. I'm in Darkroot Gardens, can't go through the Valley of Drakes. Takes at least 15 spirit arrows to kill the first drake and I have no other spells. Moonlight Butterfly fucks me up.

I'm SL 26 with Longsword +5 and basically leather armor. I have the wolf ring and the Ring for killing Cairn. I just don't know where to go now.

I keep seeing mention to go to New Londo Ruins, but seeing videos I can tell I'm not ready. Where do I need to go to either get embers to make my longsword better or where do I go to get more spells. I just can't seem to find where to go.

Have you beaten Capra Demon? If so, use the key to go to the Depths where you can get the Large Ember, so you can get your Longsword to +10. (You'll have to farm for some Large Titanite Shards as well.)

For Moonlight Butterfly, there's an NPC summon in the area that really helps with that boss fight.

There's a few areas you can go to right now. So if you're having trouble in one area, you can always go try somewhere else and come back later.

where do I go to get more spells. I just can't seem to find where to go.

For more spells...

blacksmith at top of new londo. No need to fight anything to get to him. Just take lift down from firelink.
rescue guy on way to capra demon and meet him back at firelink. He also sells a ring to boost your magic.
dusk. Rescue from golem in lake in darkroot basin. She also sells a catalyst which is better than the starting one up to around int level 27/28. I forget the exact place the standard one gets better than it and you can get her crown after talking to her which also boosts magic.
Logan. Rescue from sens fortress and meet back at firelink.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
You know where you met Solaire? There's a locked door nearby, just before going on the bridge. After exploring the Parish and beating the Gargoyles you should have found the key to this door. Go through that door, you'll get to the Lower Undead Burg, and you'll find an NPC to rescue, this guy will be at Firelink selling more spells. Also there's a boss down there, you need to beat him to progress (unless you have the master key), it's the Capra Demon.

That said you should be able to take down the Moonlight Butterfly, since he's so easy and you have ranged attacks to boot...

Good luck.

Unicorn

Just barely beat moonlight butterfly. I hit the thing to summon the witch, but that bitch didn't even show up for the fight!

Where is the lift in Firelink?

I do have master key so I didn't even know about Capra Demon lol.

Also, I haven't fought the gargoyles. I think I know where they are at, but I'm too scared.

So I just arrived in Anor Londo, level 43, sort of an archer-melee build.

I've been using Drake Sword+2 and Elite Knight armor (and gargoyle helmet) for the better part of the game. I have 40k souls, bunch of boss souls and I don't know what to do :(

Any guidance?

chunk3rvd

Just barely beat moonlight butterfly. I hit the thing to summon the witch, but that bitch didn't even show up for the fight!

Where is the lift in Firelink?

I do have master key so I didn't even know about Capra Demon lol.

Also, I haven't fought the gargoyles. I think I know where they are at, but I'm too scared.

Classic example of the master key messing with a first time player here. Gargoyles should be the first major boss you beat so head back and take them on. You can run around darkroot and valley of the drakes right now but you don't have much business there and don't need to come back till later. Beat the gargoyles, then take on the lower undead burg

I've been using Drake Sword+2 and Elite Knight armor (and gargoyle helmet) for the better part of the game. I have 40k souls, bunch of boss souls and I don't know what to do :(

Any guidance?

GET RID OF THE DRAKE SWORD! Since you're in Anor Londo you may as well finish it before heading back to Andre, where you can make yourself a decent weapon. In the meantime I would maybe use the lightning spear you should have picked up in Sen's Fortress or the crystal halberd near the start of Anor Londo. Go back over the last page or 2 and you should find some good advice on how to craft a better weapon once you finish Anor Londo

Any guidance?

Spend those souls before trying to run the archers unless you have a few rings of sacrifice handy.

Then think about making a better weapon. Im guessing you are pumping dex up as an archer? Try out the weapons with good dex scaling and upgrade whatever has a move set you like. It might be worth backtracking sens in order to do that before taking on the terrible twosome. I wouldn't want to do that fight with the drake sword myself but I guess you can always summon some help. Backtracking sens isnt hard by the way. There is a cage key down from the merchant at the top which lets you open up a shortcut lift in one of the cages you see on the way to the iron golem boss fight.

fanboi

Banned
So, found Gravelords Sword... its good!

Just beat... Pinewheel? First time I encounter him, zero life flash, 1/3 life left.

Beat it like a boss.

Should I spend 20,000 souls to get the Crest of Artorias?
As a magic user it is worth it for you sooner rather than later as the sorcery ember is in there so collecting that early is a good thing even if you don't fight the boss until later. With your high int stat making a sorcery weapon is probably the way to go for weapon upgrades. However you will need to make a magic+5 weapon 1st and for that you need green shards and for those you need to go to the depths/blight town so there really is no need to buy the crest just yet.
What should I spend them on instead? Currently have 30 Int.
The other option would be keep pumping up the int stat. Aim for 44 as that will let you use the crystal soul spear when you get to the point of being able to buy it. Any more than that is probably a waste of points as only 1 spell needs more and it isn't that great and the actual damage scaling drops off fast past 40 even with the best catalysts.

Or you could just take more health and endurance and get the int later.

What should I spend them on instead? Currently have 30 Int.
Have you been to lower Undead Burg yet? (by unlocking the door near Solaire) There's an NPC down there you can rescue who becomes a useful merchant for magic users back at Firelink Shrine.

Also did you visit the blacksmith at the start of New Londo Ruins down the Firelink elevator? He sells spells too. With 30 Int you willl also want to start levelling up Attunement if you haven't already. Attunement = more slots for holding spells.

Also have you upgraded your weapon to +5 - That should be a priority. Then the gargoyles should not pose any problem.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Any guidance?
My god.... every single page. xD

ArynCrinn

Banned
Question for all you 360 Dark Souls owners. So I literally just turned on my one and only non-JTAGed Jasper console for the first time in forever (since Dark Souls came out), and updated to the newest dash. And does anybody else get a split second weird graphical glitch screen (sort of like white/blue squares) before the game boots up? It only happens for less than a second and on every TV and monitor I own.

Is it just my 360, or is this a usual thing for the 360 version on the latest dash (don't remember it happening on the older dash)?

krakov

Question for all you 360 Dark Souls owners. So I literally just turned on my one and only non-JTAGed Jasper console for the first time in forever (since Dark Souls came out), and updated to the newest dash. And does anybody else get a split second weird graphical glitch screen (sort of like white/blue squares) before the game boots up? It only happens for less than a second and on every TV and monitor I own.

Is it just my 360, or is this a usual thing for the 360 version on the latest dash (don't remember it happening on the older dash)?

Get it all the time and as far as I remember it has always been there.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Get it all the time and as far as I remember it has always been there.

Damn, guess that shows how much I played 360 Dark Souls. Kind of lame it happens though, never seen it in any other 360 game, seems like they need to fix it. Other thing I noticed about the 360 version (aside from requiring XBL) is that quitting the game brings you back to the original splash screens like on PC, unlike PS3 which drops you right back at the New Game/Loading Screen. So I guess PS3 version wins by a mile on all fronts. The glitch seems to be a issue with the dash though from what I've just read....

Anyhow, rolling a base-SL Wanderer is kind of fun. Any weapon recommendations for this, never did a Wanderer before? Obviously the Falchion but what else?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Grind 10 levels of strength and enable beast mode two handing the dragon greatsword.

Now that Andre is dead, you are free to eat for souls all the boss souls since you need to +10 a weapon for ascension and only Andre can.

The dragon greatsword does respectable damage at +5 and the special R2 is always useful for tight situations (don't forget to buy repair powder).

Alternatively, as everyone has suggested, go fire or chaos if you think you can hold 10 soft humanity.

Now farming dragon scales to upgrade sword is a pain but... you can get 8 of them (all you need to +5 the sword) without killing a single dragon.

So I'm trying to redo my Man Serpent Great Sword Build that I used pre patch. I was going to use lighter armour to still be able to Ninja flip but now I'm wondering if I should focus on an estoc dex build. Haven't played this game since before the Prepare To Die Edition Patch so I'm used to fighting giant armor ninja flippers. How much has the PVP landscape changed since? How bad was the greatsword nerf?

Booshka

Damn, guess that shows how much I played 360 Dark Souls. Kind of lame it happens though, never seen it in any other 360 game, seems like they need to fix it. Other thing I noticed about the 360 version (aside from requiring XBL) is that quitting the game brings you back to the original splash screens like on PC, unlike PS3 which drops you right back at the New Game/Loading Screen. So I guess PS3 version wins by a mile on all fronts. The glitch seems to be a issue with the dash though from what I've just read....

Anyhow, rolling a base-SL Wanderer is kind of fun. Any weapon recommendations for this, never did a Wanderer before? Obviously the Falchion but what else?

Install Dark Souls on Xbox 360 and the load times are actually decent, PS3 load times put me to sleep. The splash screens after every quit is annoying, but not as bad as the insanely long load times on PS3. Also, the online for 360 has a much better framerate and performance overall compared to PS3, at least in my experience. I like that PS3 has more activity online, but the shit framerate keeps me from playing on it more often.

As for Wanderer, use the Longbow, Estoc, Rapier, Shotel and Balder Side sword, 2 hand Uchigatana, Great Scythe, Scythe, and a few others. 14 Dex allows for a lot of good weapons.

@CountAntonious, just make a 28/40 Quality build. Greatswords got nerfed so that you cant just 2H R1 stunlock infinitely anymore, so you have to actually utilize the moveset. Claymore is still one of the best weapons in the game despite the nerf, excellent moveset, medium weight, high damage, good stagger and stunlock combo potential. Man-Serpent Sword is like a Pure STR Bastard Sword, but it's still pretty damn good.

Use a Greatsword and an Estoc/Rapier; thrusting swords like Estoc and Rapier are probably the best PvP weapons right now, as far as the Dueling meta goes. So if you pair it with a Greatsword, Katana, Halberd or other highly versatile and strong Quality/Dex weapon, you will have a lot of tools at your disposal to fight any player. I suggest avoiding the Flip ring unless your timing is spot on and you know how to Toggle escape. Instead, wear the wolf ring and shoot for 53-56 poise to avoid first hit staggers from everything up to 2 handed Greatswords, Ultra Greatswords will still stagger, but you should be able to avoid those swings and mash toggle escape to get out of the stunlock if needed.

So, shoot for 50 Vit, 40 or more Endurance, 28 STR and 40 DEX. Upgrade everything and anything to +14/15 and start experimenting with different weapons. Also, make a Chaos Blade and Quelagg's Furysword if you can, both very good Boss Soul weapons, the Chaos Blade especially. I play on a 40/40 Quality a lot and use the Claymore and Estoc/Rapier combo often, swapping weapons around for the situation as needed.

Thanks for the info. I PVP'd at level 120 on 360. I love the weapons moveset and did'nt just spam for the stun lock. I really liked the move set and gow it hit like a truck. My first pvp build was a dex build with an estoc. I really liked it but it took too long to kill all these people flipping around with Giants armor.

Kieli

I think I've farmed for the Balder Swag sword for a couple of hours now. I still haven't got it!

Good things don't come easy, do they?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So I'm trying to redo my Man Serpent Great Sword Build that I used pre patch. I was going to use lighter armour to still be able to Ninja flip but now I'm wondering if I should focus on an estoc dex build. Haven't played this game since before the Prepare To Die Edition Patch so I'm used to fighting giant armor ninja flippers. How much has the PVP landscape changed since? How bad was the greatsword nerf?

http://mmdks.com/458z

That's my dex build, works great, try it out. You can drop two strength points and use a uchi if you can't stomach the chaos self-damage.

I play a lot with the spell layout, that's just a suggestion. I like to drop a combustion or a WoG to swap in great magic barrier.

It's cheap as fuck, lots of poise, and it's effective.

Booshka

http://mmdks.com/458z

That's my dex build, works great, try it out. You can drop two strength points and use a uchi if you can't stomach the chaos self-damage.

I play a lot with the spell layout, that's just a suggestion. I like to drop a combustion or a WoG to swap in great magic barrier.

It's cheap as fuck, lots of poise, and it's effective.

That poorly min/maxed 76 poise breakpoint.

2AdEPT

So, found Gravelords Sword... its good!

Just beat... Pinewheel? First time I encounter him, zero life flash, 1/3 life left.

Beat it like a boss.
The black knight weapons will be good complements to your Gravelord until you can get huge scaling help for it...but these only drop from the respective black knights. The unique ones are the great axe (which is close to pinwheel), the greatsword, and the halberd. what I do on PC is use games ave manager to ensure I can restart a save if the weapon does not drop. Even with 410 item discovery they are not guaranteed drops...You should be able to get a normal black knight sword however, as there are 3-4 of those. You seem intent on finishing, but starting over and getting access to 75% more of the weapons in the game is still an option!
You'll want to eventually, but if 20k souls is still a lot to you then it might be a bit much to handle. I think the price is meant to be a deterrent.
Yes open the door if you have the souls. an experienced player can farm the inhabitants behind said door for 60000 souls in 20 minutes. I always have a list of thing to spend on a mile long at game start though...so I go in there to farm from the back door,get the 12ooo souls in there, then homeward out and open the door. It means climbing a ladder with a seven headed monster spamming magic damage at you, but I am cheap with those door souls until I get my character established!!!!!There are six NPC 's behind there each worth 1-2000 souls each...most respawn,....bonfire right there.....once you open it that is.
I think I've farmed for the Balder Swag sword for a couple of hours now. I still haven't got it!

Good things don't come easy, do they?
make sure you have max 410 item discovery for farming that one. Better to try to get it off a friend who isn't using theirs....I never give mine up though...have the worst luck for that item in the history of gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom