• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

2AdEPT

You holding 10 humanities too? It shouldn't take that long. It's not one of the really rare drops but I have a theory that the game knows what you want and don't and takes the piss. I took ages over farming a large club and then on my next play through I went dex and I got 2 clubs in my 1st 3 kills on those guys and I wasn't even holding humanities let alone wearing the ring.

This could very likely be true on PC....I looked over all my dex characters....large club yes (had like four on all but str character), balder sword no. Strength characters? No large club and no man serpent but yes to BSS. It also makes sense if FROM is behind it as it promotes trading and co-op for trading purposes.

I think the latest patch from steam messed with stuff.....anyone notice the brigand armour looks different lately?

One of my closest friends started playing Dark Souls about a week ago. He streamed on Twitch earlier today and I gave him some basic advice about weapons/armor upgrades and a few hints about where the second bell was. He was complaining that the Battle Axe was really weak, but I noticed he had the Zweihander in his inventory so I had him switch to that. I also advised him to two hand it and put the Grass Crest Shield on his back and to roll more; dude was a natural at it. Then i saw him take out Capra Demon on his first try. I was so proud of him. Just had to share this with Dark Souls GAF.

Duster

Hmm I'd never paid much attention to the Balder Side Sword but after reading this thread I tried it out (I had two of them) and quite liked it.
As I've been using a normal hand axe and pyromancy I figured I'd give my new sword a lightening upgrade as I figure that's bound to come in handy at some point, is that a wise move?

I've also grown fond of the Gargoyle's Halberd, is there any particular way I should upgrade that?

Finally Sen's Fortress was a fantastic return to form after the horrors of Blighttown.

Sullichin

Hmm I'd never paid much attention to the Balder Side Sword but after reading this thread I tried it out (I had two of them) and quite liked it.
As I've been using a normal hand axe and pyromancy I figured I'd give my new sword a lightening upgrade as I figure that's bound to come in handy at some point, is that a wise move?

I've also grown fond of the Gargoyle's Halberd, is there any particular way I should upgrade that?

Finally Sen's Fortress was a fantastic return to form after the horrors of Blighttown.

Lightning/fire/chaos weapons are best if you only meet the minimum stat requirements for a weapon. Otherwise, you will get more damage output from the normal (+15) path. Balder Side Sword scales damage with DEX, so if you pump that up you will get really good physical damage output.

Gargoyle's halberd is awesome, and again I'd go the normal upgrade path with that too. It scales with both dex and strength

Jumped into DkS again yesterday (ps3).
Started a new character. As soon as I step into the Burg I get invaded. I'm lvl one lol.
Classic Dark Souls!

Duster

Lightning/fire/chaos weapons are best if you only meet the minimum stat requirements for a weapon. Otherwise, you will get more damage output from the normal (+15) path. Balder Side Sword scales damage with DEX, so if you pump that up you will get really good physical damage output.

Gargoyle's halberd is awesome, and again I'd go the normal upgrade path with that too. It scales with both dex and strength

Damn I was hoping at least one of them would be on a different upgrade path (as I assume they'd take different materials), oh well at least they suit my build, thanks.

You holding 10 humanities too? It shouldn't take that long. It's not one of the really rare drops but I have a theory that the game knows what you want and don't and takes the piss. I took ages over farming a large club and then on my next play through I went dex and I got 2 clubs in my 1st 3 kills on those guys and I wasn't even holding humanities let alone wearing the ring.

It's all rng. I had them raining while doing a dex build. Fml

Dropped right after I posted this. It's at +15 now and I'm steam rolling towards 100. Gonna kill everything this playthrough for items and flame keeper souls then start new in NG+ and leave all the optional bosses alive for PVP hosting.

Y7rEuGp.jpg

ArynCrinn

Banned
^I'm still taking Bane FTW!

Rolling my base-SL Wanderer on the 360 version (that square/blocky glitch screen every boot is annoying and lame as fuck). But rolling a +12 Falchion right now buffed with Fire or Gold Pine. Does a surprising amount of damage I must say when buffed, Capra went down shield-less in less than 20 secs after I took care of the dogs with fire resin, no Red Tearstone either. Might be keeping this as my main and a Rapier or Estoc on offhand if needed.

And Blighttown is crazy with the Aggressive Enemies mod, enough said. Can't imagine what the Royal Wood will be like.... :\

What are some popular coop areas on the PS3 these days? Other than the DLC, that is...I have killed Kalameet and Artorias too many times to count.

What are some popular coop areas on the PS3 these days? Other than the DLC, that is...I have killed Kalameet and Artorias too many times to count.

Depths, O&S and painted world are the main places. Depends on soul level really. If you stay low level you can get co-op just about anywhere.

What is your SL, the co op activity for areas is correlated with Soul Level.

Depths, O&S and painted world are the main places. Depends on soul level really. If you stay low level you can get co-op just about anywhere.

I have characters at 138 and 163, lol. Although I never have any trouble finding players in the DLC.

I'll try these areas. Where do people usually summon from for O&S? I never have any luck getting summoned by the fog.

Calibus

Ok upgrade question:

I used the Queelag soul to get the fire blade. However I want to forge another soul weapon but the giant smith is not letting me upgrade the base weapon past +5 (as in the weapon disappears from both the Reinforce and Modify section completely).

What I am afraid of is that it will only let me make another soul weapon with another special ore. Is this the case? If so, do I have to wait until NG+ or can I farm them somehow?

6for8

I have characters at 138 and 163, lol. Although I never have any trouble finding players in the DLC.

I'll try these areas. Where do people usually summon from for O&S? I never have any luck getting summoned by the fog.

Start of the level where the 1st gargoyle is or the Solaire bonfire.

At the start you can get a full level run, an archer run or a straight run to the boss. I like to warp from the Solaire bonfire to the Anor bonfire and put my sign down at the start. When you get to the Solaire bonfire, black crystal out and use a homewardbone so you can rejoin the host.

Solaire bonfire would be your best bet for boss only fights but at your level you should try to get onboard early.

Sullichin

Ok upgrade question:

I used the Queelag soul to get the fire blade. However I want to forge another soul weapon but the giant smith is not letting me upgrade the base weapon past +5 (as in the weapon disappears from both the Reinforce and Modify section completely).

What I am afraid of is that it will only let me make another soul weapon with another special ore. Is this the case? If so, do I have to wait until NG+ or can I farm them somehow?

Only Andre in the Parish can upgrade a weapon from +5->6.

I did not enjoy this, in fact I think it may have done permanent psychological damage. Victory Achieved.

Nice, that is probably one of my favorite fights.

Start of the level where the 1st gargoyle is or the Solaire bonfire.

At the start you can get a full level run, an archer run or a straight run to the boss. I like to warp from the Solaire bonfire to the Anor bonfire and put my sign down at the start. When you get to the Solaire bonfire, black crystal out and use a homewardbone so you can rejoin the host.

Solaire bonfire would be your best bet for boss only fights but at your level you should try to get onboard early.

Perfect, thank you! Love fighting O&S. I really wish the game had a replay boss mode or something.

The Cowboy

Anyone know of any places that have this on sale at a similar price to the Steam sale price - missed the sale due to a bank issue (cries) and a bit skint at the moment so can't really afford it at a higher price (really want try it :D).

2AdEPT

another reason the normal path is better is they hit harder with many saying its because you have to go through two defenses...but for me the killer is that once you make something lighting or fire you can't buff the sword...buffing swords with magic or faith or resin (less powerful than full lightning etc) is more convenient to serve different situations.

Some saythe BSS has the most Damage per swing per unit time (and eat less endurance) and this makes it a contender for best sword in the game.

the gargoyle halberd R2 is a double swing which eats lots of endurance but pays huge damage return if executed with good timing.

I have a question:
I finished Dark Souls 3 or 4 times and now I'd like to buy the boxed version of Artorias of the Abyss (on ps3).

I'm just wondering if the saves will go on from where I was last time I played (= if progress is carried over) or if I'll have to start a completely new game the first time I put in the Artorias of the Abyss disc in the ps3 ?

chunk3rvd

I have a question:
I finished Dark Souls 3 or 4 times and now I'd like to buy the boxed version of Artorias of the Abyss (on ps3).

I'm just wondering if the saves will go on from where I was last time I played (= if progress is carried over) or if I'll have to start a completely new game the first time I put in the Artorias of the Abyss disc in the ps3 ?

As far as I understand it, saves aren't compatible between the 2 versions. I have the AotA steelbook from Zavvi sitting there but don't fancy starting a fresh save to play it :/

Character at about 100 now bout to wrap up the game. Preparing to kill everything and everyone in preparation for a PVP oriented NG+ where no optional bosses are touched so that I have as many PVP arena's open as possible. I kinda miss the BB glitch only for the fact that I didn't have to kill Sif in NG+ to get to the Abyss.

Soulhouf

Character at about 100 now bout to wrap up the game. Preparing to kill everything and everyone in preparation for a PVP oriented NG+ where no optional bosses are touched so that I have as many PVP arena's open as possible. I kinda miss the BB glitch only for the fact that I didn't have to kill Sif in NG+ to get to the Abyss.

You can kill Sif 15 minutes after starting the game in NG+ if you are that hurried...

You can kill Sif 15 minutes after starting the game in NG+ if you are that hurried...

No not hurried I just liked having him a live so I could still be invaded in the forest while also having access to the kiln.

one point left in my build.

on vitality it will give me 9 health points.

on endurance it will give me no boost to stamina and I don't need the extra equip weight.

on strength it will give me one more point of damage.

On resistance it will give me one point resistance to everything and 6 per poison.

I know they never say to put points in resistance but these returns all seems pretty diminishing. Should it just go towards hp even though I already have 1800?

Booshka

No not hurried I just liked having him a live so I could still be invaded in the forest while also having access to the kiln.

one point left in my build.

on vitality it will give me 9 health points.

on endurance it will give me no boost to stamina and I don't need the extra equip weight.

on strength it will give me one more point of damage.

On resistance it will give me one point resistance to everything and 6 per poison.

I know they never say to put points in resistance but these returns all seems pretty diminishing. Should it just go towards hp even though I already have 1800?

If you dont have 10 Dex then I would level that to 10. That way you can use Dragon Weapons, and other Straight, Great and Ultra-Great Swords.

If you have a mugenmonkey link for your build post it.

Booshka

Another suggestion would be to level your Dexterity to 14, that way you can use Elemental versions of a ton of useful Dex weapons like the Shotel, Rapier, Uchi, and Avelyn. Using pure STR weapons can leave you at a disadvantage when you need to get a last hit on someone, or kill someone turtling. Having 14 Dex allows you to swap around to Elemental dex weapons and finish the job that your Pure STR weapon started. Also, the Avelyn is amazing on big Tank builds as a surprise ranged hit.

So, I was killing time and farming in Anor Londo in the great hall right before O&S, routing all the giant guards when I noticed something peculiar.

I had been at it for a while, so the amount of souls I received per run were starting to melt into my subconscious. Eventually I happened to notice a very odd number pop up that made me go, "WTF?" It was 3602 for the two guards standing outside the castle. Normally they give you 1500 per, so it stuck out like a sore thumb that I was getting 1801 all of a sudden. At that moment I was already on my way to the winged dudes, so I wasn't sure what the heck had happened to make the amount change.

Once I went back to the bonfire and tried again, I got the usual 3000 for both after slaying them, which confused me. It took a few more tries for me to stumble upon the cause: the Crystal Soul Spear (haven't tested it with the Soul Spear yet) and only against those two enemies (I still need to test if it works on the others near the first bonfire).

I don't understand why that happens and it's bugging me. Is there some special property to Crystal Soul Spear that would make that happen to a specific enemy type? It's my first time through the game, so I'm hesitant to look at the wiki in case of lore spoilers.

one85x

So, I was killing time and farming in Anor Londo in the great hall right before O&S, routing all the giant guards when I noticed something peculiar.

I had been at it for a while, so the amount of souls I received per run were starting to melt into my subconscious. Eventually I happened to notice a very odd number pop up that made me go, "WTF?" It was 3602 for the two guards standing outside the castle. Normally the give you 1500, so it stuck out like a sore thumb. At that moment I was already on my way to the winged dudes, so I wasn't sure what the heck had happened to make the amount change.

Once I went back to the bonfire and tried again, I got the usual 3000 for both after slaying them, which confused me. It took a few more tries for me to stumble upon the cause: the Crystal Soul Spear (haven't tested it with the Soul Spear yet) and only against those two enemies (I still need to test if it works on the others near the first bonfire).

I don't understand why that happens and it's bugging me. Is there some special property to Crystal Soul Spear that would make that happen to a specific enemy type? It's my first time through the game, so I'm hesitant to look at the wiki in case of lore spoilers.
Are you killing them in one shot? It could be the overkill bonus.

Another suggestion would be to level your Dexterity to 14, that way you can use Elemental versions of a ton of useful Dex weapons like the Shotel, Rapier, Uchi, and Avelyn. Using pure STR weapons can leave you at a disadvantage when you need to get a last hit on someone, or kill someone turtling. Having 14 Dex allows you to swap around to Elemental dex weapons and finish the job that your Pure STR weapon started. Also, the Avelyn is amazing on big Tank builds as a surprise ranged hit.

Too late for that now since I don't have the point's to allocate to get it to twelve but I like the idea of a quick off hand weapon to finish them off. I can use A dagger. Which element should I use fire or electricity?

Booshka

Too late for that now since I don't have the point's to allocate to get it to twelve but I like the idea of a quick off hand weapon to finish them off. I can use A dagger. Which element should I use fire or electricity?

Go Chaos, I always avoid Lightning because it uses the same upgrade materials as +15 and Crystal, so it takes away from your main weapons.

Also, Hand Axe is one of the best quick finishing weapons for a STR build. But you can take that to +15 because it will do good damage even with the C scaling in Strength.

As far as I understand it, saves aren't compatible between the 2 versions. I have the AotA steelbook from Zavvi sitting there but don't fancy starting a fresh save to play it :/

yeah that's disappointing, I really don't want to start over either.
thanks for replying anyway

To keep Oolacile Township open for invasions I just need to let Manus live correct? Can I kill the chain prisoner, light the abyss bonfire to farm humanity and save Sif still?

Gah! These bloody archer guys in Anor Londo are doing my head in. How do I kill them? I've tried going for the guy on the right first, and rolling under his arrows. Is that it?

My guy is a lvl 50 melee dude, mostly strength, vitality, endurance and dexterity. My main weapon is a +5 raw zweihander and I have a +8 spiked shield. I'm no good at a distance, so I think I need to get up close.

To keep Oolacile Township open for invasions I just need to let Manus live correct? Can I kill the chain prisoner, light the abyss bonfire to farm humanity and save Sif still?
Yes to all that.

I'm sure the chained prisoner respawns btw (? I don't spend a lot of time in the DLC, never really clicked with it).

Gah! These bloody archer guys in Anor Londo are doing my head in. How do I kill them? I've tried going for the guy on the right first, and rolling under his arrows. Is that it?

My guy is a lvl 50 melee dude, mostly strength, vitality, endurance and dexterity. My main weapon is a +5 raw zweihander and I have a +8 spiked shield. I'm no good at a distance, so I think I need to get up close.
That's it yeah. Run up, you can collect yourself a brief second to time it if you stand behind the very last pillar, it blocks the archer on your left, so you have time to see what the one on the right is doing. Stop, he fires, run towards him, probably fires again, roll through it (fast roll is best obviously), then stand right in his face and parry his hit. You can also block and hope he just falls off, but manage your stamina bar between hits by releasing block so it builds back up faster. If he guard breaks you, it's a long way down!

If the AI decides it's time to spaz out and he still firing arrows, do the same with blocking then releasing block in between hits until he decides it's time to take his sword out.

You can also use poison arrows from the bottom, but that's kind of wimpy :p

jns

You can roll under his arrow and get up in his face, then when he pulls his sword out it should only take 2 parrys to break him.

Poison arrows. Some might call it cheap but the game gives you the tools, so use them.

Toxi

Banned
If I'm starting this game from scratch, what's the best time to buy the DLC? Right away?
You won't notice the DLC until later in the game outside of twink invaders. Buy it when you reach Darkroot Basin if you enjoy the game.

You might also have trouble finding the DLC areas without a guide. From is fond of hiding things.

Booshka

Just roll through his arrows and do a 2 handed rolling R1 attack with the Zwei, that first hit hit will stagger him, then press R2 and pancake him for the kill. Most if not all of your Dark Souls problem can be solved with a 2 handed Zweihander.

Also, I suggest taking that Zwei back down to +5, and ascending it to +6 on to +10. Raw is a dead end upgrade path that lowers your stat scaling, +10 leads to Lightning/Crystal/Boss and +15. +15 is where you want to take your Zwei if you are leveling your STR/DEX.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom