• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what the second half of that means, but ok! You think that's the way to go?

They both boost pryro spell damage so yeah very useful if that's how you are going to be playing. The ring you buy off of Griggs. They guy you can rescue in undead burg and you need the 15 intel before he will sell stuff to you. Getting the crown is somewhat convoluted....

You need to defeat the hydra in darkroot basin. Then either exit game and reload or return to the area later. Travel into the lake down the left hand side and kill the golden golem making sure to stop attacking it as it dies so as not to also kill dusk. I did that once and it ruined a play through as I was a caster! Anyway talk to her and accept her help. Then go back to where you killed the hydra and look for her summon sign. Summon her. Then you can go back to where the golem spawned in the lake and collect her gear including the crown. For walking in the lake the rusted iron ring you get back at the undead asylum is very useful indeed.

I'm in awe...Finally caved and bought the PC version for my rig(which I sold my 360 to help fund) applied the Durante fix and man I'm just stunned at how beautiful this game is and how well it feels at 60 fps.

LTWood12

Even the Longsword is a really good weapon when upgraded. Have you been just swinging stuff around to try it out?

Yeah, I did for a few minutes this morning before heading to work. I thought the Falchion felt real good. Is feel the most important thing? Or are there some weapons that everybody agrees you should stay away from?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Whoa wait a minute, your screenshot says you're level 37, not 87.... so you are not overlevelled at all. Though you did spread your points way too thin across the board so that's bad too. :p But there is still hope at least! Attunement is very high, yet both faith and intelligence are low, so obviously it's all about the pyromancy; do upgrade your pyro glove as much as possible. Your fireballs will start dealing real damage, especially combined with the rings and Crown of Dusk the others already mentioned.

I would recommend using the halberd, it's probably the best weapon in your stash. It's fast and powerful and with solid range, especially 2 handed, so upgrade that to +10 ASAP. It scales with both str and dex so your stats aren't too wasted on it.

Edit: falchion is a very good weapon. Not that strong but very fast so you can chain a lot of hits. Your points in strength are kinda wasted on it, but if you really like the moveset it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I did for a few minutes this morning before heading to work. I thought the Falchion felt real good. Is feel the most important thing? Or are there some weapons that everybody agrees you should stay away from?

A lot of the weapons created from boss souls are mediocre, but most of the weapons laying around or dropped off of enemies can be pretty good. The Falchion has pretty good dexterity scaling, so it's well worth using. You would be a little behind on making the best use of it with your current stats though.

LTWood12

Whoa wait a minute, your screenshot says you're level 37, not 87.... so you are not overlevelled at all. Though you did spread your points way too thin across the board so that's bad too. :p But there is still hope at least! Attunement is very high, yet both faith and intelligence are low, so obviously it's all about the pyromancy; do upgrade your pyro glove as much as possible. Your fireballs will start dealing real damage, especially combined with the rings and Crown of Dusk the others already mentioned.

I would recommend using the halberd, it's probably the best weapon in your stash. It's fast and powerful and with solid range, especially 2 handed, so upgrade that to +10 ASAP. It scales with both str and dex so your stats aren't too wasted on it.

Edit: falchion is a very good weapon. Not that strong but very fast so you can chain a lot of hits. Your points in strength are kinda wasted on it, but if you really like the moveset it's not a big deal.

Yeah, I definitely spread the points around too much. So based on what your saying, what are the stats I should continue to level up? Sidenote, you guys are so nice to take the time to help me out. Really appreciate it.

LTWood12

A lot of the weapons created from boss souls are mediocre, but most of the weapons laying around or dropped off of enemies can be pretty good. The Falchion has pretty good dexterity scaling, so it's well worth using. You would be a little behind on making the best use of it with your current stats though.

So do you agree with the other poster that Halberd is the way to go?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It depends on your playstyle of course. The iaito is really really good, fast and powerful and unlike the falchion it has the bleed effect which can be quite useful, but it's more of a dex weapon. The zweihander is more of a strength weapon, and it's very strong and has a knockback effect, but it's much slower, you need to time your hits more precisely.

So, for stats:
- if you pick the falchion or iaito, level up dex, and occasionally vit and end too. Leave the rest alone.
- if you pick the zweihander, level up str, vit and end. Leave the rest alone.
- if you pick the halberd, level up either dex/str or both, with also vit and end eventually.

Unless you really want to use tons of magic, I would suggest leaving attunement as-is, you have enough slots IMO. Don't touch faith and int, but you haven't, so that's good. In truth your stats aren't a lost cause at all, attunement is a little high but it can be useful. It's just that usually it's best to focus on as fewer stats as possible to either deal more damage or improve survivability. Right now you have potential for that, but you're in a phase where your damage and survivability are kind of low. Don't give up though. :)

Sullichin

if you are going big on pyro bump your intel up to 15 so you can buy the bellowing dragon crest ring and also acquire and use the crown of dusk.

You don't need 15 int for either of those things. Griggs will sell you stuff at 10INT, and you can still get crown of dusk, just not use any of Dusk's spells.

LTWood12

It depends on your playstyle of course. The iaito is really really good, fast and powerful and unlike the falchion it has the bleed effect which can be quite useful, but it's more of a dex weapon. The zweihander is more of a strength weapon, and it's very strong and has a knockback effect, but it's much slower, you need to time your hits more precisely.

So, for stats:
- if you pick the falchion or iaito, level up dex, and occasionally vit and end too. Leave the rest alone.
- if you pick the zweihander, level up str, vit and end. Leave the rest alone.
- if you pick the halberd, level up either dex/str or both, with also vit and end eventually.

Unless you really want to use tons of magic, I would suggest leaving attunement as-is, you have enough slots IMO. Don't touch faith and int, but you haven't, so that's good. In truth your stats aren't a lost cause at all, attunement is a little high but it can be useful. It's just that usually it's best to focus on as fewer stats as possible to either deal more damage or improve survivability. Right now you have potential for that, but you're in a phase where your damage and survivability are kind of low. Don't give up though. :)

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

As far as what I'm wearing, does anything jump out to you as needing to change?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Most armour sets are generally fine, wear whatever you like that still allows you to stay under 50% of your equip burden. A bit of poise doesn't hurt either. If you wear the Crown of Dusk you'll get a solid damage boost on your pyromancies, so there is that.

so I finally caved and bought the PC port because it was so cheap and I seem to be running into a strange problem.

Every 5 minutes after launching I get kicked off games for windows and lose all my progress and have to restart offline. Is this a common problem or is GFWL being especially terrible for me? Google has failed me for a solution.

so I finally caved and bought the PC port because it was so cheap and I seem to be running into a strange problem.

Every 5 minutes after launching I get kicked off games for windows and lose all my progress and have to restart offline. Is this a common problem or is GFWL being especially terrible for me? Google has failed me for a solution.

What operating system do you have? I'm running on windows 7 with dsfix and haven't had this issue yet.

Unicorn

I thought about making an LttP thread, but I won't oversaturate gaming side.

4 hours just fucking disappeared. It's now 3 AM.

I'm in love.

I should also mention that this is with the Tron 360 controller, which is fucking broken. The right analog fucking drifts like mad, so I'm CONSTANTLY fighting the camera to not have it looking down on my head the whole time. Thank god I'm going mostly magic so I use lock-on a lot. I need to rectify this immediately because most of my deaths are from the camera spazzing due to this shitty controller. But, I mean, I put up with it for four hours just so I could play Dark Souls. Fuck.

I haven't played post prepare to die edition patch. I'm hearing greatswords don't stun lock anymore? Or not as much> Has poise changed at all? What numbers should I be shooting for?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Alright guy's, deleted my updated non-Steam Dark Souls and reinstalled so it was pre-patched. Booted it up and alt-tabbed to turn on the Aggressive Enemies Mod. And HOLY SHIT IT IS CRAZY! Enemies can now seem to ignore fog walls, so they'll just prance into the battle at any time. Just for starts, at the very beginning, when you open the big door before the Asylum Demon drops, three hollows will aggro and jump down there even before he does.

It gets even crazier as you go further, enemies will follow you ANYWHERE. And they seem to never get trapped either, because I tried just exploiting that to see if I could get a group of them stuck, no dice. They just spread out and come back after you. Maybe he changed the AI somehow to be better with that. But yeah, hardcore. With all this talk of the Drake Sword, I think I'm going to be doing a full Base-SL Warrior or Knight using ONLY the Drake Sword with the Aggressive Enemies Mod. It's R2 can actually be quite useful.

But I wanna do a full playthrough recorded (Let's Play) due to all the new changes and surprises this mod brings with it.

Alright guy's, deleted my updated non-Steam Dark Souls and reinstalled so it was pre-patched. Booted it up and alt-tabbed to turn on the Aggressive Enemies Mod. And HOLY SHIT IT IS CRAZY! Enemies can now seem to ignore fog walls, so they'll just prance into the battle at any time. Just for starts, at the very beginning, when you open the big door before the Asylum Demon drops, three hollows will aggro and jump down there even before he does.

It gets even crazier as you go further, enemies will follow you ANYWHERE. And they seem to never get trapped either, because I tried just exploiting that to see if I could get a group of them stuck, no dice. They just spread out and come back after you. Maybe he changed the AI somehow to be better with that. But yeah, hardcore. With all this talk of the Drake Sword, I think I'm going to be doing a full Base-SL Warrior or Knight using ONLY the Drake Sword with the Aggressive Enemies Mod. It's R2 can actually be quite useful.

But I wanna do a full playthrough recorded (Let's Play) due to all the new changes and surprises this mod brings with it.

Very cool, I'd be interested in watching a playthrough with the mod.

Definitely want to give it a try too...in terms of installing the pre-patch files, is there anything else you need to do? Will telling Steam not to auto-update the game prevent it from overwriting that version? Also, any issues with playing online?

Apparently it was made by changing the enemy's "resting point" to the player's current location. This is why they never leave you alone, and aggro from so long. They're literally just trying to rest where you're standing!

Unicorn

I just reached Darkwood Gardens (HOLY FUCK at that long ass trek between bonfires. I ran out of soul arrows, flasks, humanity, and was left to just chip enemies with a dagger. Controller was constantly slipping around in my hands I was sweating so profusely. Also FUCK this drifting right analog stick - seriously makes the game so much harder.) and I'm wondering when I get some more magic... Even another set of soul arrows will be enough to carry me along. 30 ain't cutting it, especially with that journey between bonfires before you get to the Smith.

How does upgrading go? I just bumped strength up to 10 so I could use a longsword and better shield (dagger ain't cutting it... pun... intended?) and just need some more spell variety.

ALSO
Since I'm playing on PC with Games for Windows Live, can I use the cloud to use the same save file for xbox 360? My friend has it for 360 and I'm going over there later today and want to keep playing.

I just reached Darkwood Gardens (HOLY FUCK at that long ass trek between bonfires. I ran out of soul arrows, flasks, humanity, and was left to just chip enemies with a dagger. Controller was constantly slipping around in my hands I was sweating so profusely. Also FUCK this drifting right analog stick - seriously makes the game so much harder.) and I'm wondering when I get some more magic... Even another set of soul arrows will be enough to carry me along. 30 ain't cutting it, especially with that journey between bonfires before you get to the Smith.

How does upgrading go? I just bumped strength up to 10 so I could use a longsword and better shield (dagger ain't cutting it... pun... intended?) and just need some more spell variety.

ALSO
Since I'm playing on PC with Games for Windows Live, can I use the cloud to use the same save file for xbox 360? My friend has it for 360 and I'm going over there later today and want to keep playing.

There's no way to use the saves on different systems, as far as I know.

In terms of more spells, have you gone down to the Lower Undead Burg? There's a guy you need to rescue there that will sell you spells. Also, the Longsword is a good weapon. Have Andre upgrade your weapons/shields for you.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Very cool, I'd be interested in watching a playthrough with the mod.

Definitely want to give it a try too...in terms of installing the pre-patch files, is there anything else you need to do? Will telling Steam not to auto-update the game prevent it from overwriting that version? Also, any issues with playing online?

Apparently it was made by changing the enemy's "resting point" to the player's current location. This is why they never leave you alone, and aggro from so long. They're literally just trying to rest where you're standing!

No, don't even worry about Steam. If you already own the game, just go download the FLT version of Dark Souls off the internet. Only a bit over 3GB's. This is the pre-patched original release of the game, not tied to Steam whatsoever. Just play offline, otherwise it'll force you to update through GFWL. Downloading pre-patched files might not really work, unless you can guarantee they are from the absolute original release. This will allow you to launch Dark Souls straight from your "Games" tab on the Start Menu.

Sucks this mod won't work on any version of the game like it should. But it works fine with DSFix, just only on the pre-patched version. Any other version just freezes.

I'm wondering when I get some more magic... Even another set of soul arrows will be enough to carry me along. 30 ain't cutting it.
as well as the guy you can rescue there is also the blacksmith just 1 lift journey down from firelink (at the top of new londo ruins) who will sell you some more soul arrows.

Unicorn

There's no way to use the saves on different systems, as far as I know.

In terms of more spells, have you gone down to the Lower Undead Burg? There's a guy you need to rescue there that will sell you spells. Also, the Longsword is a good weapon. Have Andre upgrade your weapons/shields for you.

http://gamecheats.xploder.net/showthread.php/56807-GFWL-Saves-on-360

Looks like I may be able to do it, though not as seamlessly.

http://www.360haven.com/forums/thre...ake][pc-xbox360]-dark-souls-save-editor/print

Or this too ? nevermind that's straight hacking. disgusting.

fanboi

Banned
Guys, I'm accidently killed the blacksmith... and now I cant upgrade weapons.

I can talk to the friendly giant, but he can't make as far I belive?

What to do?

Someone said use the black knight sword... but any other ideas?

ArynCrinn

Banned
Guys, I'm accidently killed the blacksmith... and now I cant upgrade weapons.

I can talk to the friendly giant, but he can't make as far I belive?

What to do?

Someone said use the black knight sword... but any other ideas?

Should have killed the Giant instead. xD His weapon is OP. Anyway, fond memories of fighting Andre on NG7, he's a kickass melee fighter! That Divekick!

I've been playing this game off and on for a year. Finally made some new progress today. Got to the bottom of Blighttown and found Q's Domain (forget the spelling). I was so excited to get in there, hoping to find a fire to save me past FPS hell. And the first enemy unleashed a bunch of maggots that killed me immediately!

Is this where I'm supposed to be going next? I'm around SL 45.

ArynCrinn

Banned
So... any tip? :>

Did you kill him before getting a +5 weapon?

If so, Black Knight weapons, Giant Blacksmith Hammer, Dragon Weapons, Boss Tail Weapons are all options. Upgrade the Crystal Halberd in Anor Londo if you can.

Edit: ANY Blacksmith can +5 your weapon. So just go Fire or Chaos for this run.

Duster

I've been playing this game off and on for a year. Finally made some new progress today. Got to the bottom of Blighttown and found Q's Domain (forget the spelling). I was so excited to get in there, hoping to find a fire to save me past FPS hell. And the first enemy unleashed a bunch of maggots that killed me immediately!

Is this where I'm supposed to be going next? I'm around SL 45.

Yep, there's a bonfire in a cave off the swampy area just before where you died, then when you go to Q's domain just run straight past the maggot things.

eot

Banned
You can get fire weapons without Andre. If you need a lightning weapon you can pick up the spear in Sen's and upgrade that. I think the Gargoyle Halberd is pretty good (not the axe) if it dropped for you, or maybe the Dragon Greatsword even though it doesn't scale and requires a lot of strength.

No, don't even worry about Steam. If you already own the game, just go download the FLT version of Dark Souls off the internet. Only a bit over 3GB's. This is the pre-patched original release of the game, not tied to Steam whatsoever. Just play offline, otherwise it'll force you to update through GFWL. Downloading pre-patched files might not really work, unless you can guarantee they are from the absolute original release. This will allow you to launch Dark Souls straight from your "Games" tab on the Start Menu.

Sucks this mod won't work on any version of the game like it should. But it works fine with DSFix, just only on the pre-patched version. Any other version just freezes.

I was able to get it working just fine by downloading the pre-patch files that have been floating around, and then installing DSFix 2.0.1. Dunno at what point Steam will try and force it to update again, though.

Just in Undead Burg so far, but I can tell this is going to be loads of fun!

EDIT: Favorite part so far was forgetting about the Black Knight in Undead Burg. Just minding my own business in the area that has the door leading to the pine resin, when he comes out of nowhere and completely surprises me. Stuff like that is going to make this playthrough awesome.

EDIT 2: Aaaand, because that's not enough, I'm using the perma-gravelorded script now as well. For extra fun! Never really been gravelorded, so I'll be overwhelmed by the black phantoms in addition to enemies in completely new positions. Fun!

Now, someone just do a NG+7, Fresh start, SL1, extra-aggressive enemy, permagravelord run.

Calibus

That Orn and Smough fight is about to make a grown man cry. I can get Smough empowered but I just can't get behind him to get any hits in. Ugh.

GRIP

That Orn and Smough fight is about to make a grown man cry. I can get Smough empowered but I just can't get behind him to get any hits in. Ugh,

That fight is such a pain in the ass the first time. Took me around 30 attempts before I finally beat them. If you're killing Smough last, wait till he does his little air melee attack and just role under him when he does it. It's really easy to time and you can usually get quite a few hits in before he recovers. Other than that, I'd say just stick close to the pillars so that if he does his charge attack it will break on those and you should be able to get some hits after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom