• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okie dokey, I'm not aware of what is/isn't allowed really just wondered.

Watching now, up to him turning AL dark, all good fun so far.

edit - OK, just reading up about the glitch now, it's in game so I see why it's allowed. I assumed it was some sort of hack, I didn't know. Gotta play around with that brb! :p

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hmm I'm pretty sure I saw a dude do a speedrun of every bosses (including the DLC ones) without any glitching.... took like 1h15 IIRC. IMO that's far more impressive than using glitches...

Booshka

Hmm I'm pretty sure I saw a dude do a speedrun of every bosses (including the DLC ones) without any glitching.... took like 1h15 IIRC. IMO that's far more impressive than using glitches...

WR for all bosses is around 1:25, there are some glitches used in that run as well I believe. Not to mention all the Save Quitting to reset aggro or story events, which is a bit of an exploit in and of itself.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Quitting and reloading is not a glitch, IMO, maybe an exploit but not a glitch. What glitches were used by that... I think a Swedish dude who did that all-bosses speed run?

Booshka

Quitting and reloading is not a glitch, IMO, maybe an exploit but not a glitch. What glitches were used by that... I think a Swedish dude who did that all-bosses speed run?

He does a lot of skips, Dukes skip, Lower Undead Burg skip (twice). Not sure if you consider Toggle Escape a glitch, but all good runners use it throughout their runs.

First World Dark Souls Problems:

I have 58k souls

I don't know what to spend them on :(

Decent Black Knight Sword, silver armor, knight shield, and medium build with dex focus.

No confirmation yet but posted on Reddit.
Hey there fellow Dark Souls players and redditors!

My name is Aluyn, I am a great fan of Dark Souls and have personally played 400+ hours of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition on steam

Today i went to "Firstlook", its an event given in Utrecht in The Netherlands.
There was a Dark Souls 2 presentation there and after the presentation was over I walked up to one of the members of the Namco Bandai crew there and asked them one simple question:
"What will happen with Dark Souls 1 when GFWL shuts down on July 2014?"

He told me they haven't officially announced what i am going to tell you yet and they probably still will wait a while before they officially do, but he said they didn't want to let down the fans of the Souls-franchise and that they were planning to move dark souls from GFWL to Steamworks so we all could still play and interact online!

I couldn't be more happy with his answer! so i thanked him and went to check out some other games.

Anyway this is great news if it turns out to be true!

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

I have 58k souls

Decent Black Knight Sword, silver armor, knight shield, and medium build with dex focus.

Souls are easy to come by later, so try to not level up the character at all.

Leaning towards keeping the same equipment, for aesthetic reasons?
If you are slick, evading and dodging; Upgrade Weapons.
If you are defensive type, blocking and hitting; Upgrade shields.
If you are not good at either evading or blocking; Upgrade armor.
If you are not specialized in either; Upgrade everything.

Else, do not spend souls on upgrading..just look for better equipment.

Soulhouf

I have 58k souls

Buy upgrade materials, lightning bolts, black firebombs, homeward bones...
Really anything useful. You better spend them on something than lose them later.

Always spend your souls.

2AdEPT

Woho! The Black Knight in
the catacombs
dropped a BKGA, very nice was afraid I would have to wait. I usually never have any luck with my drops :p

to my knowledge that is the only one who drops it other than the one in the
kiln!
So congrats.....I don't take no for answer any longer.....game save manager is an addiction I can not relinquish for early game drop farming.

Buy upgrade materials, lightning bolts, black firebombs, homeward bones...
Really anything useful. You better spend them on something than lose them later.

Always spend your souls.

yep, once I got the aveyln and upgraded it to lightning....the lightning bolts and darkmoon bow with its moonlight arrows get fed enough that I don't carry too many souls around....ironically you can buy at least 8 rings of sacrifice with your money per playthrough as well. lol

valouris

Ok so I am in my first playthrough, please answer me with no spoilers if possible.

I was in the ghost area, and after painfully killing every single mofo ghost there I reached the top of the building, and I saw a dark figure standing there. Being on my last Estus Flask and terribly shitting my pants I was too afraid of trying to talk to him, and I started firing arrows at him, and then I easily killed him. He dropped a key to the seal which I used to lower the water level. However, he was talking as we were fighting, and I am having the sneaking suspicion that he was actually an NPC and I shouldn't have killed him. Did I do something terribly wrong? What will I miss if he is indeed an NPC? I meant no harm mister!

Toxi

Banned
Ok so I am in my first playthrough, please answer me with no spoilers if possible.

I was in the ghost area, and after painfully killing every single mofo ghost there I reached the top of the building, and I saw a dark figure standing there. Being on my last Estus Flask and terribly shitting my pants I was too afraid of trying to talk to him, and I started firing arrows at him, and then I easily killed him. He dropped a key to the seal which I used to lower the water level. However, he was talking as we were fighting, and I am having the sneaking suspicion that he was actually an NPC and I shouldn't have killed him. Did I do something terribly wrong? What will I miss if he is indeed an NPC? I meant no harm mister!
Ingworth is benign, but it's okay to kill him if you don't mind losing an easy vendor for Transient Curses and a way to remove curses for free. You can get his key from either killing him or talking to him after you find a certain key item. You only missed a minor spell that prevents curse.

Soulhouf

Yes, you killed an NPC.
But you shouldn't feel bad. He isn't that useful.
Now you can pick up the best ember in the game and enjoy destroying everything.

The normal way doing this is to talk to him. If you already beaten Anor Londo, he would give you the key, otherwise, he would tell you to do so. He would also tell you something interesting about the story.

Toxi

Banned
You should feel bad for killing him. Ingward is cool. >:-( Guy saved Lordran from the Four Kings but isn't a dick about it.

valouris

Thanks for the quick replies. Mostly I have no ideas what you guys are talking about. :p

Where is Anor Londo? Is it a place, or a person/boss?

Currently I am lvl 30 Wanderer. What I have completed is Undead Burg, Undead Parish, I cleared the church and the big black knight inside, freed the gold dude (although everybody seems to call him a liar and a miscreant) but I haven't beaten the gargoyle on the top, I think it is too early? I then dabbled in the forest, I defeated the knight in the basin and lit the bonfire, decided to go back when I met a giant nasty hydra, although I could easily kill the diamond dudes, and the tree dudes, but not the big silver knights that like to lie down in the forest. So I decided to come back to Firelink Shrine, cleared the graveyard and tried to go to the catacombs, but the skeleton that kept resurrecting made me decide not to go there for a while. It was then that I discovered the elevator that takes me down to New Londo Ruins, and I started making progress with the ghosts (totally ignoring the admittedly scary Valley of the Drakes), initially using Transient Curses, then just using the Jagged Daggers, until I killed that poor NPC.

Is there any big important place I have missed so far?

Wired

to my knowledge that is the only one who drops it other than the one in the
kiln!
So congrats.....I don't take no for answer any longer.....game save manager is an addiction I can not relinquish for early game drop farming.

Yeah I know, I wasn't this lucky on my first 360 playthrough, in fact not a single one of the BKs dropped anything if I recall correctly... I was not very pleased.

I'm torn on managing save games, on one hand sure it'd make things easier but I dunno. To be fair I did back up before attacking that Black Knight but luckily he dropped the axe so I didn't have to resort to it (but I'm pretty sure I would have, after all this is my fourth or fifth playthrough counting the 360 version and I didn't want to wait until the end again).

I'm planning on backing up before tackling Sif though, I really suck at that fight and I'm not spending minutes running back and forth this time around. No way :p

On an unrelated note, a while ago I saw it mentioned that there's people running around and messing up your builds in PVP. What's that all about, what should I look out for? I'm really paranoid. Maybe it's been patched?

Soulhouf

@valouris:
Normally New Londo is an end game place to beat in your first playthrough lol. I admire your courage. When I went there very early in my 1st playthrough, I was scared to death and didn't come back until very late in the game.
Anyway, there are at least 4 important areas to visit before New Londo.

But since you dried the water, go and pick up the very large ember. That's one of the most important items in the game.

Wired

Thanks for the quick replies. Mostly I have no ideas what you guys are talking about. :p

Where is Anor Londo? Is it a place, or a person/boss?

Currently I am lvl 30 Wanderer. What I have completed is Undead Burg, Undead Parish, I cleared the church and the big black knight inside, freed the gold dude (although everybody seems to call him a liar and a miscreant) but I haven't beaten the gargoyle on the top, I think it is too early? I then dabbled in the forest, I defeated the knight in the basin and lit the bonfire, decided to go back when I met a giant nasty hydra, although I could easily kill the diamond dudes, and the tree dudes, but not the big silver knights that like to lie down in the forest. So I decided to come back to Firelink Shrine, cleared the graveyard and tried to go to the catacombs, but the skeleton that kept resurrecting made me decide not to go there for a while. It was then that I discovered the elevator that takes me down to New Londo Ruins, and I started making progress with the ghosts (totally ignoring the admittedly scary Valley of the Drakes), initially using Transient Curses, then just using the Jagged Daggers, until I killed that poor NPC.

Is there any big important place I have missed so far?

Start by killing the Gargoyles at the church and finish up there. Then if you've found the Basement Key head to the bridge with the big-angry-red-dragon and look for a door ;)

valouris

Start by killing the Gargoyles at the church and finish up there. Then if you've found the Basement Key head to the bridge with the big-angry-red-dragon and look for a door ;)

Hm, I was afraid I would have to dealt with that
Gargoyle
eventually. I actually have that key, I will give it a try. Thanks!

Dyno

But, isn't that because the Greatshield of Artorias has very high stability?

Mechanically this probably the reason. Artistically I like the symetery. Artorias can power through a 75+ stability shield but that 88 is enough to defy him. That's why I mention it to those who are having trouble with him. It makes things easier.

valouris - At level 30, you're more than ready for the Gargoyles. Have you upgraded your weapon to +5, if not do that. Upgrading your weapon is key to progressing, and far more important than levelling up.

valouris

I don't like the fact you guys keep using plural! :p

Anyway thanks for all the help, I will try not to spoil myself with anything else. Time to man up! Cheers

Hanzou

I am scared of Losing all the Humanity I have stored up. I am not very far in (As far as the bonfire where you meet the weapon smith guy) and I have 6 humanity built up. I do not want to lose it but am not sure if I want to kindle bonfires although running out of my 5 flasks is not really an issue right now. Is losing humanity double deaths something I should worry about? Should I spend some humanity now on something useful or just not worry about it at this point? I think I have 5 or so humanity in my inventory as well (I could always farm rats too I guess.

Noob here so looking for thoughts!

Booshka

Just kindle every bonfire you use frequently if you are worried about losing them.

Also, if you want to farm for anything, that extra humanity in your counter (up to 10) will increase your item discovery significantly. Just having one humanity makes the biggest difference. So if you are in human form, just go on a Kindling pilgrimage hitting up the most high traffic bonfires.

Well if you're not fully confident in your ability to get back to blood stains and are holding more than you want to lose you either need to spend up or go collect/buy as many rings of sacrifice as you can lay your hands on. The guy in the bell tower past the gargoyles sells 10 for 5K each iirc. Just put one on after you die and take it off again once you get your stain back. If you die on the way it's gone but at least your stain isn't.

Just kindle every bonfire you use frequently if you are worried about losing them.

Also, if you want to farm for anything, that extra humanity in your counter (up to 10) will increase your item discovery significantly. Just having one humanity makes the biggest difference. So if you are in human form, just go on a Kindling pilgrimage hitting up the most high traffic bonfires.

Has anyone ever successfully farmed a titanite slab from a darkwraith?

Hanzou

YEah I know about the extra Item find which is very nice so far! I am not quite at the guy selling the rings yet so I will look at it when I get there. I guess what it comes down to is that I dont want to "waste" kindling on bonfires that I feel so far don't need to be kindled thus wasting the humanity for future bonfires, but at the same time although I feel confident in recovering my bloodstain, There is always that though that the one time things go crazy wI will be running for the stain.

Eh, I think I will just man up and carry on with my humanity bulilt up and if I lose it, so what. Thanks guys!

Booshka

Ya I have probably gotten over 25 slabs across all my characters, maybe even more. I always farm Darkwraiths for Chunks just for the rare Slab drop.

I think it is a 1-2% drop rate because I usually get one every 5-10 runs killing 10 darkwraiths each run.

Yeah lots of them. I've had 2 slabs in one run down there 3 times including 2 wraiths in a row one magical time. Guess I've spent too much time farming them but that's how I get most of my shards/large shards too. Just get the chunks and break em down.

Booshka

You mean you let one of them live?!?!?

Yea, sometimes I bail on the last one by Beatrice because it's too much of a pain in the ass with the Ghosts hitting me in the back, especially on NG+ and beyond. I usually get em all, but if the ghosts are being assholes and wasting my time, I just homeward bone and start a new run.

I meant to say 11 I guess, forgot the count on how many are there, and it makes the math more complicated so fuck it lol. I'll stick by that drop rate percentage, seems like that is the case in all my hours of Dark Souls.

Yeah it's around the 1-2% mark with max discovery. I always kill the ghosts down there too. End up with loads and loads of transient curse and jagged blades.

Sullichin

YEah I know about the extra Item find which is very nice so far! I am not quite at the guy selling the rings yet so I will look at it when I get there. I guess what it comes down to is that I dont want to "waste" kindling on bonfires that I feel so far don't need to be kindled thus wasting the humanity for future bonfires, but at the same time although I feel confident in recovering my bloodstain, There is always that though that the one time things go crazy wI will be running for the stain.

Eh, I think I will just man up and carry on with my humanity bulilt up and if I lose it, so what. Thanks guys!

You can buy some rings of sacrifice after you beat the Undead Parish boss, and as long as you remember to equip one on your way back to your bloodstain, you don't really need to worry about losing humanity or souls.

But it's not a huge deal if you do. Worse case scenario you farm for some humanity.

Farming used to be so much more annoying in this game.

neoemonk

Finally got to use my black eye orb.

Proceeded to get killed about ten times in a row.

3 on 1 is so hard.

Also my shield can't block Lautrec's weapon so that sucks.

Finally got to use my black eye orb.

Proceeded to get killed about ten times in a row.

3 on 1 is so hard.

Also my shield can't block Lautrec's weapon so that sucks.
Try luring them up the stairs so that they can't surround you, can also get in some plunging attacks. You only have to kill Lautrec btw, the other two are just bonus souls if you take them out. Lautrec is also pretty easy to parry.

neoemonk

Try luring them up the stairs so that they can't surround you, can also get in some plunging attacks. You only have to kill Lautrec btw, the other two are just bonus souls if you take them out. Lautrec is also pretty easy to parry.

Does Lautrec use a weapon like the scraping spear, something that breaks your items? Because I'm pretty sure I was able to block his attacks when I first invaded.I'm using a Silver Knight Shield +1.

I'm going back into tonight. Hell, if I have to I will keep upgrading my gear. You don't lose your souls after dying in there so I ended up with more than 20K after repeated losses.

Does Lautrec use a weapon like the scraping spear, something that breaks your items? Because I'm pretty sure I was able to block his attacks when I first invaded.I'm using a Silver Knight Shield +1.

I'm going back into tonight. Hell, if I have to I will keep upgrading my gear. You don't lose your souls after dying in there so I ended up with more than 20K after repeated losses.
The Shotel yeah, the R2 attack goes through shields.

neoemonk

The Shotel yeah, the R2 attack goes through shields.

That must be it. I've been getting my ass kicked too fast to tell what is what. I have noticed a knife and curved blade but between the other two guys harassing me and all the spinning and dying I don't know what's what.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

Kindling a bonfire is almost never a waste. Some bonfires are not worth kindling (such as those you encounter after a boss), but those you have seen so far are all useful, do spend the humanity to kindle them. You'll get more humanity later anyway, why risk losing it inside a bloodstain?

valouris

I just went through the entire Blightown without dying at all for the first time, internally saying wtffff the whole time, out of Flasks, using humanities to heal, hoping for the next bonfire, scraping my last anti-poison items, using whatever I have with the highest poison resist, out of arrows to lure worms and other stuff to kill them with my life stealing sword I just happened to find, survived my first (surprise) encounter with a huge boulder dude with a smidgeon of life left.

I reached the watermill elevator.

Check message. Bonfire ahead. (Internally: ohboyohboyohboyohboy)

Fall down.
At the top of the elevator trying to disembark.
With 2 humanity and 10000 souls. (prolly not too much for you guys but its the most that has ever been at stake on my playthrough, I always try to play safe)

Wondering if I will make it again.

This game. This fucking game. Is awesome.

Blighttown stuff....
Did you reach the bonfire in the swamp? There are two bonfires in Blighttown, one is very near the wheel elevator.

Tip for getting off the elevator: Stay on until you are at the very top of the arc, you will slide off the platform on to the wheel itself and when you reach the top, walk or roll off. It's a never-fail way of getting off. I think we've all fallen off it at some time or another!

Also very minor Blighttown boss spoiler:
The wheel elevator is the way OUT of Blighttown, not the way to the boss.

Altazor

Quoting myself from the Steam thread in the main gaming forum:

Earlier today I finished
Sen's Fortress
and I have to say,
those fucking lightning-throwing serpents REALLY pissed me off. Anyway, after I climbed stairs and avoided traps, I reach the roof and after taking a few steps... BANG, the firebomb giant almost kills me. Quick reflexes, running, etc. saved me from a fiery death. After exploring a bit and looting, I finally get to the boss. But I was really tired of the level so I summoned Iron Tarkus and we both took down the Iron Golem. Wasn't that hard, though it almost killed me once for being careless. Close but no cigar. YOU DEFEATED!

And then...
Anor Londo
. That vista was quite beautiful, I must say. Actually, the whole place is amazing, it's probably my favorite place in the game so far (just in the visual department). So...
FUCKING ARCHERS. At least I got them on my second try (!), I was very, VERY lucky - I was *almost* killed by the one on the right but I managed to get a scrappy win - emerged victorious with only a little line of life left [alliterarion fun!]. And I was nervous as hell. I kept on shivering and trembling minutes after beating those archers - they almost got me before I recovered my things from my bloodstain. A close call
. The rest of the level after it hasn't been very hard, actually:
just got to the giant blacksmith, ascended my halberd to lightning (yay!) and forged Quelaag's Furysword (yay!) and very soon I'll tackle the last part of the level before O & S.
I didn't do the
Painted World
thingie - should I do it after the boss battle? Should I wait?

Anyway, that's all for now. Great fun. Tense as fuck, but great fun!

and a little update: yesterday I beat
Ornstein and Smough
. Took me a couple of tries but the fight itself was fun as hell.
MegaOrnstein and his electrified spear pierced through my character and killed him in 1 hit. Fuck that guy.

Toxi

Banned
Quoting myself from the Steam thread in the main gaming forum:

and a little update: yesterday I beat
Ornstein and Smough
. Took me a couple of tries but the fight itself was fun as hell.
MegaOrnstein and his electrified spear pierced through my character and killed him in 1 hit. Fuck that guy.
1366835273635.gif

valouris

Did you reach the bonfire in the swamp? There are two bonfires in Blighttown, one is very near the wheel elevator.

Tip for getting off the elevator: Stay on until you are at the very top of the arc, you will slide off the platform on to the wheel itself and when you reach the top, walk or roll off. It's a never-fail way of getting off. I think we've all fallen off it at some time or another!

Also very minor Blighttown boss spoiler:
The wheel elevator is the way OUT of Blighttown, not the way to the boss.

It appears I had missed that bonfire, I must have passed right next to it. Which makes my death and subsequent loss of said souls and humanities (oh yes I died trying to get there again) even more funny/sad.

I just went through the entire Blightown without dying at all for the first time, internally saying wtffff the whole time, out of Flasks, using humanities to heal, hoping for the next bonfire, scraping my last anti-poison items, using whatever I have with the highest poison resist, out of arrows to lure worms and other stuff to kill them with my life stealing sword I just happened to find, survived my first (surprise) encounter with a huge boulder dude with a smidgeon of life left.

I reached the watermill elevator.

Check message. Bonfire ahead. (Internally: ohboyohboyohboyohboy)

Fall down.
At the top of the elevator trying to disembark.
With 2 humanity and 10000 souls. (prolly not too much for you guys but its the most that has ever been at stake on my playthrough, I always try to play safe)

Wondering if I will make it again.

This game. This fucking game. Is awesome.

Oh god you reached that part, you are going by the normal path I think, god have mercy of your soul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom