• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techies

Why doesn't this game have any real mod potential, there's just so much I want to tweak.
Especially the dragon, that things AI is stupid as hell, cannot kill it in a fair fight.

If you bring it to you, and you just happened to touch the flames it won't stick to the ground for even a second.

It ends up spamming the un-dodge-ble flame attack.

2AdEPT

This question makes no sense. I asked a simple question. 4 King was super easy in ng but was suppose to be the hardest boss in ng+. It WAS harder it took me 3 tries to come up with a strategy that worked but it was still not hard.
You sound like the type of guy that would enjoy challenge runs. I agree that the game is easy if you exploit every loophole...and that is a genius part of the game......but when that gets boring you have to start handicapping yourself. Might I suggest a no upgrades SL1 run? (SL1alone wont be challenging enough for you it sounds) you can decide about using estus...I allow its use. But no upgrades means no leveling anything...downgrading the occult club is acceptable.

I'm sad the netcode/infrastructre of Dark Souls is so bad(atleast for the pc-version). I'd love to play a lot of pvp, but when you finally get invaded(or manage to invade) and the the guy magically teleports to your back and backstabs you it really pisses me of. It's such a fucking shame.. so much wasted potential and so bad code.
PC is now the best option for me for PVP. simply take two minutes to get dsfix and dscfix in particular, and any friend becomes an automatic summon. build a large freinds list by meting players and instructing them to get the fix as well.

Sullichin

Why doesn't this game have any real mod potential, there's just so much I want to tweak.
Especially the dragon, that things AI is stupid as hell, cannot kill it in a fair fight.

If you bring it to you, and you just happened to touch the flames it won't stick to the ground for even a second.

It ends up spamming the un-dodge-ble flame attack.
Because the PC version is basically a Save-As of the console version. I mean you can't even change the rendering resolution without a mod so it's not surprising you can't really modify the AI like that.
The dragon AI is wonky as hell. You can hug the wall by the stairs and he will eventually come down. Or hit him with an arrow. I almost never bother actually killing him, I just run past to the bonfire.

I submit for Souls-GAF's approval: certain weapons should be impossible to parry, but suffer either a penalty to swing speed or an inability to backstab/parry themselves.

Parrying a weapon like Grant with a Parrying Dagger...it doesn't make sense. The momentum would be too great. Some weapons just lack finesse. It would prevent strength builds from BS fishing and encourage actual hit-trading combat. Am I the only one who feels this way?

You can't parry whips, but who uses those? *stares at Evolved1*

I tried to parry someone using a greatsword in the DSII beta and I couldn't pull it off. He was spamming attacks too. Of course we were both obviously new to the game, so I don't know how it will play out when everyone has mastered the mechanics. I don't know if it's just different, but it certainly felt a lot harder to pull off. All of the moves in DSII seem slower in general. I obviously haven't played enough to know if this is a good thing, but it could potentially be. But yeah, I'd be cool with heavy STR weapons not being parryable or being much harder to parry than they currently are. I prefer the heavy weapons but in DS a dex build is pretty much objectively superior.

Altazor

I actually killed it last night without much problem - I waited outside the staircase until it came down, and when it did, I remained as close to the (right-hand) wall as possible, just beside its foot/claw/whatever. It stopped spamming the fire attack and tried to kill me by stomping me but that attack barely did enough damage and I killed it. Yay!

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nice thanks. I might go for Chaos Blade then. Last night some dude in underwear invaded me, he was fighting barefisted and then with only a shield. He parried one of my attacks and midway through his riposte he whipped out a huge-ass scythe or something and killed me. I don't think I've ever won a single time someone has invaded me. Maybe once during my PS3 playthrough, but not on PC.

The chaos blade requires 40 dex and 10 soft humanity to achieve maximum damage. It also drains you 20 hp per successful blow, even ghost hits or blocked swings.

However, more damage than the Uchigatana, bigger bleed buildup and some say slightly longer reach but I'm not sure about that.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WHV_JNcGXY

Spectacular invasion video. The intent is noble and the guy's build is incredibly creative - lots of variety and an awesome concept.

Reminds me of my invasions;

As one Grim Reaper.
9D5C9BA6D3D98F8CAEDC40588B1AFED655045A76

An odd Eastern Samurai??

And one Bleach character (With one Witch's cloak, Tattered Cloth Manchette and a Crimson Waistcloth)

Question... anyone have a character in the mid-20's that could dump a couple whips.

Somehow my dual whip character was corrupted during the months I didn't play. Regular whip is easy enough to grab, but notched whip is kind of a pain in the butt for my low-lvl no shield dex build. I kinda dread doing all of that over again... its a total grind.
What platform?

The chaos blade requires 40 dex and 10 soft humanity to achieve maximum damage. It also drains you 20 hp per successful blow, even ghost hits or blocked swings.

However, more damage than the Uchigatana, bigger bleed buildup and some say slightly longer reach but I'm not sure about that.
Last night I thought better about it, and figured I wouldn't be doing much PvP after all besides the fact that Chaos Blade can actually kill you on its own with that life draining stuff. I would be biting more than I could chew.

So I got Queelag's Furysword. Upgraded it to +4 and tried it out for a bit. I wasn't overly impressed, at least giving it a shot in Anor Londo before moving on. Uchi +10 is still more effective. Do I need humanity too to boost its damage? 40 DEX, 15 STR.

Is having a bandits knife and a back up to a katana on a 40 dex build redundant? How bout a dark silver tracer? I'm wondering if a light 1 pound weapon is worth having or if I should pump that dex into vitality for the extra 14 points.

Speaking pvp here.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Last night I thought better about it, and figured I wouldn't be doing much PvP after all besides the fact that Chaos Blade can actually kill you on its own with that life draining stuff. I would be biting more than I could chew.

So I got Queelag's Furysword. Upgraded it to +4 and tried it out for a bit. I wasn't overly impressed, at least giving it a shot in Anor Londo before moving on. Uchi +10 is still more effective. Do I need humanity too to boost its damage? 40 DEX, 15 STR.

Yeah, the Furysword is like more dependent on humanity thatn dex for damage even if it says it's a B scaling. Starting at base stats, 10 humanity adds roughly 70 damage while going up to 40 dex gives you 50 more damage. Which means its awesome for low level pvp too hehe... /grin

Despite what that noobish poster told you, the furysword is awesome for pve... it does great damage, it swings quick and consumes very little stamina per swing. Its only real drawback is that there are two areas in the game filled with heavily fire resistant enemies... so you need a backup plan for those.

I think it was with 30 stamina I could swing it 7 times per stamina bar.

The thing about Dark Souls is that the concept of "end-game weapon" does not really exists unlike other rpg's because of the upgrade system. A ton of dex weapons are end-game capable as long as they're properly upgraded, it's all about moveset preference.

The Uchi is cool but I find it a boring weapon. The BSS is only good if you mash R2, the weak attacks are WEAK. The rapier is awesome even as a backup weapon, get the hornet ring and all those parries and backstabs will demolish enemies. I really, really like the Murakumo for pve but the strength requirement might be a killer for some. Choices, choices... this is why DS is such a kick-ass game.

You sound like the type of guy that would enjoy challenge runs. I agree that the game is easy if you exploit every loophole...and that is a genius part of the game......but when that gets boring you have to start handicapping yourself. Might I suggest a no upgrades SL1 run? (SL1alone wont be challenging enough for you it sounds) you can decide about using estus...I allow its use. But no upgrades means no leveling anything...downgrading the occult club is acceptable.

Interesting but given bosses with huge aoe attacks is that even possible? Since those attacks need to be blocked, you wont be leveled enough to equip a good shield, and your life and stamina are so low, shouldnt say Qualaag's explosion kill you on the spot reguardless if you guard it or not?

Edit: I would assume I can do what I wish with humanity correct? Since there is no way to stop you from aquiring it randomly throughout the game.

Soulhouf

Im sorry but Quelaag's is pretty much the best weapon in the game hands down. The only thing that comes closes is GSoA.

Quelaag Fury sword is really an average weapon because of its split damage. Almost any normal weapon upgraded in the normal path will be more effective. Chaos weapons are also usually better because you don't have to invest in particular stat to increase the split damage.

Booshka

Is having a bandits knife and a back up to a katana on a 40 dex build redundant? How bout a dark silver tracer? I'm wondering if a light 1 pound weapon is worth having or if I should pump that dex into vitality for the extra 14 points.

Speaking pvp here.

Use a Rapier (1.5), it's one of the best PvP weapons in the game, and does the most Critical damage as well. Estoc (3.0) is also amazing if you can handle the weight.

I am on PS3.
Same. I can drop you some whips from a mule character (they'll be fully upgraded on various paths, but you can always downgrade them). Send me a PM with your PSN ID and what time/day is best (UK here btw) - and what area you want to summon in (the area boss must still be alive). :)

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Quelaag Fury sword is really an average weapon because of its split damage. Almost any normal weapon upgraded in the normal path will be more effective. Chaos weapons are also usually better because you don't have to invest in particular stat to increase the split damage.

Theorycrafting.

It works really well for pve and it's surprisingly usable in pvp.

What are you talking about? The sword does substantially more DPS than any other weapon in the game it's base damage, +Dex mod, +Hum mod, with its ridiculously good recovery, fast attack speed, and low stamina cost the sword easily out does just about everything free. It is one of the reasons I killed this game. Also tons of bosses and enemies are weak to fire and the only reason to not use Quelaags for me has been against fire resistant enemies. I destroyed the 4 Kings in like a minue flat on NG+ with it.

I experimented with a lot of weapons from short swords, to great swords, katanas(which suck), halbergs, and spears, nothing I found was better than Qualaags. Unless there is some magical weapon when I play(when I buy the expansion) I will continue to use Qualaag's or GSoA depending on the match up.

Actually most weapons in this game are buns I for the most part.

Booshka

What are you talking about? The sword does substantially more DPS than any other weapon in the game it's base damage, +Dex mod, +Hum mod, with its ridiculously good recovery, fast attack speed, and low stamina cost the sword easily out does just about everything free. It is one of the reasons I killed this game. Also tons of bosses and enemies are weak to fire and the only reason to not use Quelaags for me has been against fire resistant enemies. I destroyed the 4 Kings in like a minue flat on NG+ with it.

I experimented with a lot of weapons from short swords, to great swords, katanas(which suck), halbergs, and spears, nothing I found was better than Qualaags. Unless there is some magical weapon when I play(when I buy the expansion) I will continue to use Qualaag's or GSoA depending on the match up.

Buff a +15 Falchion and R1 for daysssss.

Sullichin

Im sorry but Quelaag's is pretty much the best weapon in the game hands down. The only thing that comes closes is GSoA.

GSoA requires a massive stat investment to be a contender for a good weapon.. it has around 500AR at minimum stats and requires you to level up four stats. A Zweihander +15 with the same DEX and STR required for the GSOA but no INT or FAI requirements has the same AR, and pure physical damage to boot, and it can be buffed.

Quelaag Furysword is good for PVE, but there's many other better weapons, like any +15. In PVP it kinda sucks against certain armors/shields.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hahaha wow. Double whammy of wrong here dude.

On a dex build, a buffed +15 falchion will always outdamage Quelaag's sword and it has roughly the same moveset. A gold silver tracer is also better because it has no split damage and doesn't require humanity either. Just because Quelaag's sword is suitable enough for PvE doesn't mean it's the best weapon. I can beat the game with a mace or a morningstar, but that doesn't mean it's a good weapon.

And GSoA is flat-out terrible. Objectively so. The stats investment is immense and the returns on the investment are paltry.

Calibus

Just beat the game a few minutes ago. Wow what an experience!

An open-ended ambiguous ending for an equally open-ended ambiguous plot.

Good for fan fics I guess.

Tilian

Banned
Just beat the game a few minutes ago. Wow what an experience!

An open-ended ambiguous ending for an equally open-ended ambiguous plot.

Good for fan fics I guess.
Congrats! Now enjoy NG+.

I've recently moved back to PS3 after a year of PC -- I'm encountering a few idiots with infinite health (which I thought was only a PC problem). Question: are there any build-breakers on PS3 like PC that I need to be wary of?

Booshka

Congrats! Now enjoy NG+.

I've recently moved back to PS3 after a year of PC -- I'm encountering a few idiots with infinite health (which I thought was only a PC problem). Question: are there any build-breakers on PS3 like PC that I need to be wary of?

I have seen it a while ago happen to some Japanese dude, but I want to say it was patched out. In any case it is extremely rare. I know for certain that it has never happened on Xbox 360 and I don't think it is possible.

Tilian

Banned
I have seen it a while ago happen to some Japanese dude, but I want to say it was patched out. In any case it is extremely rare. I know for certain that it has never happened on Xbox 360 and I don't think it is possible.

Ok, thanks. I guess I can relax a bit then, but I'll need to brush up on my kicking skills.

Booshka

Ok, thanks. I guess I can relax a bit then, but I'll need to brush up on my kicking skills.

Just jump off a cliff, black crystal out or stand there and let them kill you. If everyone stops giving cheaters the time of day, they will just stand around bored and leave.

Tilian

Banned
Just jump off a cliff, black crystal out or stand there and let them kill you. If everyone stops giving cheaters the time of day, they will just stand around bored and leave.

Yeah, pretty much what I was doing -- jumping off the side by the forest stairs every time he came in (something like 6 times in 30 mins), trying to give him the message. But he seems pretty thick and still came at me like a train each time. Gotta go farm humanity anyway, so I left.

Wired

Congrats! Now enjoy NG+.

I'm running the PC version and have seen this mentioned a few times, which has made me terrified of invasions (for the wrong reason). What is it all about? Is there anything I should keep in mind other than backing up my save every now and then and checking my stats after every invasion? It's getting annoying.

Tilian

Banned
I'm running the PC version and have seen this mentioned a few times, which has made me terrified of invasions (for the wrong reason). What is it all about? Is there anything I should keep in mind other than backing up my save every now and then and checking my stats after every invasion? It's getting annoying.
Yep, just do that -- keep regular backups. I got my builds broken twice in the forest, each hacker with a modified Avelyn. When you get hit it says "weapon broken," and I found I was missing 8 points from END (SL remained unchanged, so basically my well-balanced build was screwed).

Mind you, I spent 100s of hours in the forest before this happened, so it is VERY rare. Just keep regular backups (something that you can't do as easily on console, hence my concern above). Don't let it take away from invasion fun :)

2AdEPT

Although the chaos blade is more viable than you make it sound (the drain can be remedied)....Just get the washing pole and be done with it, the uchigatana is like bringing a pencil to a sword fight...too short....I don't care how much damage it beats WP by in base damage (there has to be some balance OTW no one would use any other weapon!!!), same for chaos blade and Queelags (I never even bothered with it, again too restricted)...nothing comes close to washing pole as it has the moveset that is quick and reaches almost as far as the spears....try the running R1 ...as godly as the halberd running R1 but less recovery. You guys best try plus 15 weapons with crystal magic weapon, sunlight or darkmoon blade before slathering on about weapons with elemental split damage. For the guy that was worried about the dragon on the bridge, I recall luring her down, gave her one upward swing to the face and one downward swing and she fizzled into white mist....yes 2 r1's did it But pretty sure it has to be face (which of course is impossible with weapons with no reach.) The developers have a soft spot for history and likely modeled the best sword in the game from this figure's choice of weapons:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasaki_Kojirō

hint: just two hand it and forget about the str requirement for one handing...this makes sense in reality and in game alike.

other DEX weapons that beat the others mentioned above when at +15 buffed and/or with leo ring:
great scythe
Lifehunt scythe.
Ricardes rapier
Estoc
Rapier
balder side sword
Shotel
Claws
Tracers/knives
silver knight spear

Interesting but given bosses with huge aoe attacks is that even possible? Since those attacks need to be blocked, you wont be leveled enough to equip a good shield, and your life and stamina are so low, shouldnt say Qualaag's explosion kill you on the spot reguardless if you guard it or not?

Edit: I would assume I can do what I wish with humanity correct? Since there is no way to stop you from aquiring it randomly throughout the game.

Set your own rules but humanity in your ticker is fine, since I was not that great when I decided to do it, I allowed bonfire kindling, but you don't have to...its up to you.

Why on earth would anyone purposely enter the AOE zone of Queelag, when the tell that an AOE has been issued occurs? Its insanity! I have not got hit with that AOE for a year or so...it just isn't smart to allow yourself to get hit by it...learned my lesson a hundred times before wising up, so no disrespect..but the game is deep enough that you can keep playing for a thousand hours and not have tried everythign you can do with it. Once I realized that attack could be avoided...other attacks I thought were meant to be 100% troll moves from the developers, started becoming avoidable as well.(huge spoiler on the genius of dark souls:
the bosses do tells and basically tell you what they are going to do next such that you don't really need any armour as you will rarely get hit! Watch youtube if you don't believe me.

Seriously to the bolded? Correction..you NEED to do a no upgrades SL1 run. You are missing a large part of the game if you just tank through with either a high defense/high level, or even a glass cannon character (although these are fun for a first go around as well.) The absolute genius of the game is that it can be completed at SL1, rather easily imo if you are allowed to use +15 weapons buffed on bosses. Therefore I recommend no upgrades...forces you to use only those weapons/armour you can find and carry with poor stats...which isn't many. The beauty is that you can AVOID every attack of every boss pretty much given enough wherewithal to strategize. There are wonderful rings most dont even know about like dusk ring and red tearstone, that enable you to get by despite the disadvantage....using these on a certain enemy that drops pine resin gives you a chance to build a supply of buffs and a merchant gives you the fire buffs...then you can start wearing stuff that will multiple your base damage...etc etcetc. Its a tough go, but possible and far more rewarding than a regular play through.

edit: here is NG+7 Queelag done right as a race vs. toxicity drain (ok he allows upgrades to his club it would appear) but since he made himself toxic, and is SL1, with no armour, maybe you can forgive upgrades to his club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmnpHOTdDI4

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You guys best try plus 15 weapons with crystal magic weapon, sunlight or darkmoon blade before slathering on about weapons with elemental split damage.

You assume too much.

The furysword has extremely quick recovery, very low stamina consumption. It's a good weapon. And it can be easily crafted and maxed before even killing O&S.

Please, go tell first time players or relatively newbs to go down into New Londo for the ember and then go kill the Stray for the slab. I mean we do it, but them?

And buffs are sorta meh. Yeah, the numbers are nice, but in pvp opponents will typically jump around and for pve... split build (bad for first time players) to make them worthwhile and the faith buffs are extremely limited. Speaking about the faith buffs, again tell a newcomer to pvp or farm to boredom death the painted world for the souvenirs. Otherwise they have to kill Gwendolyn, invest 30 faith... for 60 seconds of buffed weapon between bonfires. These first timer buff build recommendations reek of theorycrafting.

These buff builds are great for people who already know the game. Honestly, how long do you think is the typical fight against a boss for a first time player? How many buffed blows he'll get out on the boss before it runs out? At the cost of course of gimping his own build.

Seriously, some of you guys drink ENB's kool-aid too much. I'm starting to realize why some people despise him. Funnily enough he even makes a point to mention his recommendations are what works well for him and his style but that's often ignored. Heck, I remember ENB was pimping hard these buff builds... FOR NG+!

Speaking about the washing pole, you need 28 strength and 40 dex to crack 400 AR with it. With those stats the Mura does 552.

Soulhouf

You assume too much.

The furysword has extremely quick recovery, very low stamina consumption. It's a good weapon. And it can be easily crafted and maxed before even killing O&S.

Please, go tell first time players or relatively newbs to go down into New Londo for the ember and then go kill the Stray for the slab. I mean we do it, but them?

And buffs are sorta meh. Yeah, the numbers are nice, but in pvp opponents will typically jump around and for pve... split build (bad for first time players) to make them worthwhile and the faith buffs are extremely limited. Speaking about the faith buffs, again tell a newcomer to pvp or farm to boredom death the painted world for the souvenirs. Otherwise they have to kill Gwendolyn, invest 30 faith... for 60 seconds of buffed weapon between bonfires. These first timer buff build recommendations reek of theorycrafting.

These buff builds are great for people who already know the game. Honestly, how long do you think is the typical fight against a boss for a first time player? How many buffed blows he'll get out on the boss before it runs out? At the cost of course of gimping his own build.

Seriously, some of you guys drink ENB's kool-aid too much. I'm starting to realize why some people despise him. Funnily enough he even makes a point to mention his recommendations are what works well for him and his style but that's often ignored. Heck, I remember ENB was pimping hard these buff builds... FOR NG+!

Speaking about the washing pole, you need 28 strength and 40 dex to crack 400 AR with it. With those stats the Mura does 552.
Regarding ENB, I only watched his lore videos so I don't know what you're talking about.
What I said comes from my personal experience (over 2000 hours spent on this fuckin game).
With that said, you point out an interesting point: playing for the first time as a beginer Vs knowing the game already and aiming for the best result.
QFS is good if you use it before getting the VL amber or the Chaos amber, but past Anor Londo, there are so many better weapons to use. Even with that soul, it's better to make the Chaos Blade if you aim for a Dex build.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Regarding ENB, I only watched his lore videos so I don't know what you're talking about.
What I said comes from my personal experience (over 2000 hours spent on this fuckin game).
With that said, you point out an interesting point: playing for the first time as a beginer Vs knowing the game already and aiming for the best result.
QFS is good if you use it before getting the VL amber or the Chaos amber, but past Anor Londo, there are so many better weapons to use. Even with that soul, it's better to make the Chaos Blade if you aim for a Dex build.

It's a very different approach. You and me... wanna make a ninja character? Go into blighttown at level 1, get the garb and the iaito. No problem. We do that kind of stuff. But first timers...

Then ignore the ENB comments. I've actually had people in this thread refer to X or Y video from him to defend a position. He's inmensely popular for better and worse and some people take his words at face value.

Sullichin

You assume too much.

Not sure what ENB has to do with anything, this guy claimed that Quelaag Furysword and GSoA are two of the best weapons in the game and that most of the weapons in the game suck. That's just... not correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom