• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

I just went through the entire Blightown without dying at all for the first time, internally saying wtffff the whole time, out of Flasks, using humanities to heal, hoping for the next bonfire, scraping my last anti-poison items, using whatever I have with the highest poison resist, out of arrows to lure worms and other stuff to kill them with my life stealing sword I just happened to find, survived my first (surprise) encounter with a huge boulder dude with a smidgeon of life left.

I reached the watermill elevator.

Check message. Bonfire ahead. (Internally: ohboyohboyohboyohboy)

Fall down.
At the top of the elevator trying to disembark.
With 2 humanity and 10000 souls. (prolly not too much for you guys but its the most that has ever been at stake on my playthrough, I always try to play safe)

Wondering if I will make it again.

This game. This fucking game. Is awesome.

Yea sounds like you passed the bonfire at the bottom of the swamp.

neoemonk

I beat Lautrec tonight on the first try after dying several times yesterday. I just stood at the top of a staircase and did the leaping R2 strike over and over. I killed the helpers and severely weakened Lautrec, then ran to the top and went toe to toe to finish him off. It was almost easy actually after dying so many times.

Altazor

I beat Lautrec tonight on the first try after dying several times yesterday. I just stood at the top of a staircase and did the leaping R2 strike over and over. I killed the helpers and severely weakened Lautrec, then ran to the top and went toe to toe to finish him off. It was almost easy actually after dying so many times.

that feeling is awesome. It's VERY rewarding.

As for Lautrec, I managed to kill him on my second try, curiously enough. The first one I botched because I somehow cornered myself on the other side of the staircase and Lautrec and his helpers cornered me and finished me with ease. Then on my second try I just moved around the place non stop - I almost got killed (actually I was on VERY low health for most of the fight) but then I managed to kill the mage-helper and then Lautrec went down with only a couple of hits of my trusty Lightning Halberd. Fuck that guy - I HAVE AVENGED THEE, ANASTACIA!

zXNjJZs.gif

Booshka

Ya Boulders like to duplicate when there are phantoms in Sen's Fortress, invader or white summon they like to duplicate. The most I have seen is 4 boulders, it's usually just 2 though. Whenever I invade or do white summons I am always extra careful not to walk right into a duped boulder.

Altazor

LOL, fuck those boulders. Thankfully wasn't killed by any of them - high defense and a raised shield. Only left me with a tiny bit of life but I learned the lesson :p

Sen's Fortress was a frustrating place. Didn't mind the swinging blades and the narrow ledges you had to cross, I was more annoyed by the mage serpents and their lightning spamming. And considering I only had one shield with decent lightning resistance (gargoyle shield) but no useful armor... well, it was a bit painful for me.

Well, I feel like a big boy now, killed O&S without any summoned help. The fight itself was pretty intense, and I was down to the last sliver of health with no available estus flasks by the time Ornstein fell.

Altazor

Well, I feel like a big boy now, killed O&S without any summoned help. The fight itself was pretty intense, and I was down to the last sliver of health with no available estus flasks by the time Ornstein fell.

aw man, congrats! You did what I couldn't, so I'm jelly ;)

neoemonk

I too am stuck on O and S.

I've managed to kill each one of them with the help of the NPC knight but then I couldn't summon him any more because I kept getting invaded and killed so I just stayed hollow.

Maybe tonight I will get them.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
I am trying hard to optimize my armor, within the following constraints.

Witch Cloak +4
- 4 Weight
- 45+ Physical Defense

Tattered Cloth Manchette +9
- 1.5 Weight
- 25+ Physical Defense

Crimson Waistcloth +4
- 3.5 Weight
- 40+ Physical Defense

Total Armor Weight: 9
Set Physical Defense: 110+

Any suggestions to improve within the boundaries of the Weight limit, or am I at max?

Edit: Dug a bit deep and stumbled upon this .
Now for some math magic.

valouris

Also very minor Blighttown boss spoiler:
The wheel elevator is the way OUT of Blighttown, not the way to the boss.

Yup I didn't wanna spoil myself so I figured that out the hard way. I didn't die though, and I now have explored the entirety of Blighttown and know where everything is. Dat
Queelag
is giving me a hard time though. :)

Soulhouf

I am trying hard to optimize my armor, within the following constraints.

Witch Cloak +4
- 4 Weight
- 45+ Physical Defense

Tattered Cloth Manchette +9
- 1.5 Weight
- 25+ Physical Defense

Crimson Waistcloth +4
- 3.5 Weight
- 40+ Physical Defense

Total Armor Weight: 9
Set Physical Defense: 110+

Any suggestions to improve within the boundaries of the Weight limit, or am I at max?

Edit: Dug a bit deep and stumbled upon this .
Now for some math magic.

If you like min-maxing protections, you can replace Witch Cloak with Dingy Robe and
Crimson Waistcloth with Xanthous Waistcloth. You will gain defense and protection and the entire thing is 0.5 lighter.

I can't guarantee you won't look ridiculous with that though.

Are the 4 Kings on NG+ really as hard as this game gets? If so Im kinda disappointed with the "difficulty" of this game. Hardest boss was probably the gargoyles in the undead parish on the first game.

Is Dark Souls 2 going to be harder? Are enemies going to have more than 4 attack strings? Are there going to be more situations where you need to fight multiple enemies at once?

Duster

I couldn't log into PSN earlier today so I played another PS3 game for the first time in a while, I settled on Saints Row 3.
It seems Dark Souls has invaded my muscle memory/instincts in a way most games don't as I was constantly doing stupid things like trying to press circle to roll out of the way of enemies that were bigger that me.

neoemonk

Are the 4 Kings on NG+ really as hard as this game gets? If so Im kinda disappointed with the "difficulty" of this game. Hardest boss was probably the gargoyles in the undead parish on the first game.

Is Dark Souls 2 going to be harder? Are enemies going to have more than 4 attack strings? Are there going to be more situations where you need to fight multiple enemies at once?

I love reading stuff like this for two reasons. First, it almost seems like a stealth brag to talk about how easy the game is in a thread full of people talking about dying and having problems so I always find stuff like that amusing.

Second, it's interesting to me to hear people say this boss or that one is the easiest/hardest in the game because the experience varies so much from player to player. I had no issue with the gargoyles, for example, but Lautrec killed me ten to fifteen times the other night before I finally beat him. I'm not the best example though because I'm not sure of there is one boss I've killed on the first try between Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Maybe Maiden Astrea.

So where do you decided to stop pushing toward the enemy and start grinding souls?

Booshka

Pretty much. I don't recall having much trouble in my previous playthrough. 2H zwei just flattens fools like nobody's business.

I've done triple stunlock with Zwei on those guys, it was so satisfying to just murder them all with the same swings and watch them perish right in front of you.

I have also done it in PvP against 2 players that were charging me, that was 10x as more satisfying because they were real player lol.

I've done triple stunlock with Zwei on those guys, it was so satisfying to just murder them all with the same swings and watch them perish right in front of you.

I have also done it in PvP against 2 players that were charging me, that was 10x as more satisfying because they were real player lol.

This happened to me yesterday in Township. They tried to trap me on a bridge with their shields up. Once they pounced on me I just started swinging my MSGS and to my surprise they both dropped before my health did. Very satisfying victory.

So where do you decided to stop pushing toward the enemy and start grinding souls?

This question makes no sense. I asked a simple question. 4 King was super easy in ng but was suppose to be the hardest boss in ng+. It WAS harder it took me 3 tries to come up with a strategy that worked but it was still not hard.

To me the hardest bosses were early in ng because you lack enough tools to formulate a strong gameplan. Gargoyals because of how they constantly cover each other with fire breath and at that lvl you lack solid fire resist equipment. Smough and Omsrtien were a pain untill I change strats and killed Omstien first instead of Smough.

Every boss has a one or two huge weaknesses that once you can exploite they are fairly easy to deal with. The game doesnt suck because of it, its still a lot of fun and overall one of the best times I have had with a game in forever BUT it could be A LOT better.

Ill throw in my two cents on the Luctic guy or whatever his name is and how I delt with him in ng and ng+. In ng I got ganged up on everytime I tried to fight him straight up, so I shot him with an arrow from far away and when he came in, dung pied him into toxic and ran from him for 5 min till he died. On ng+ my pyro was strong enough I just nuked him with Choas balls. lol

Syril

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having problems with the PC version with the game crashing on startup that I can't seem to fix, and I'm going to try to delete the game and reinstall it. If you delete the game off of Steam do you lose your saves?

Sullichin

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm having problems with the PC version with the game crashing on startup that I can't seem to fix, and I'm going to try to delete the game and reinstall it. If you delete the game off of Steam do you lose your saves?

Your save is in Documents-> NBGI. I don't think steam deletes that folder but you might as well make a backup of it. Try reinstalling GFWL.

Syril

Your save is in Documents-> NBGI. I don't think steam deletes that folder but you might as well make a backup of it. Try reinstalling GFWL.

Thanks. Turns out there was a patch that made part of the DSfix incompatible, so there was a new version for it.

Skinpop

I'm sad the netcode/infrastructre of Dark Souls is so bad(atleast for the pc-version). I'd love to play a lot of pvp, but when you finally get invaded(or manage to invade) and the the guy magically teleports to your back and backstabs you it really pisses me of. It's such a fucking shame.. so much wasted potential and so bad code.

Also, I'd love if in dark souls 2 they implemented animation cancelling(attack cancelling). There would be two versions of it:

Cancel the animation during windup before the actual swing starts, no real penalty to it except the usual(that you'd lower the shield for that brief moment as usual).

The other one would be canceling during swing, this would cost you normal stamina + some multiplier(like 1.5 maybe) as a penalty.

If it's hard to balance they could create some timing windows like with the riposte so that the animation only can be cancelled at certain frame-spans of the animation. I think this could add another layer to the gameplay without making mechanics overly complex, especially for pvp it would be a great addition. Maybe something like this is already in the game? I've only played it for a couple of weeks but have yet to see anything like it.

Oh and strafe without lock-on would be awesome.

I way I deal with Lautrec is to go to firelink right after I release him and kick the bugger off the wall. Job done and that ring is really useful early game.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
To kill Lautrec and his followers; I ran round and round (up and down the stairs) across the entire hallway for like 6-7 times, so that I could separate one of them into a solo fight.

Did the same with the 2nd follower, before burning Lautrec to crisp with Great Combustion and Fire Storm.

valouris

Just reached
Sen's Fortress

By far the most difficult area of the game thus far. I decided I will not care about all the souls I will lose time and time again, I just want to clear the thing.
First time got me pretty far, I died because I followed the boulders' way all the way down (yes I got the ring), but I kept following and I fell down :/ Haven't made it that far since.

Also, I think I made another terrible mistake.
I selected Use Item on Queelag's soul, thinking it will ask me whether I want the souls or the "unique item" it talks about in the description, and I only got the souls :( How are you supposed to get the item? Is it worth it?

I finally reached the DLC stuff, jeeeeeez what a warm welcome but I was dissapointed how early you
Fight and kill artorias
I tought it was supossed to be a mid boss?

I selected Use Item on Queelag's soul, thinking it will ask me whether I want the souls or the "unique item" it talks about in the description, and I only got the souls :( How are you supposed to get the item? Is it worth it?

Its a blacksmith material to evolve a weapon to a new one, you dont have to use it, just level up a curve sword to +10 (for that specific soul) and ask the blacksmith to evolve it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Just reached
Sen's Fortress

By far the most difficult area of the game thus far. I decided I will not care about all the souls I will lose time and time again, I just want to clear the thing.
First time got me pretty far, I died because I followed the boulders' way all the way down (yes I got the ring), but I kept following and I fell down :/ Haven't made it that far since.

Oh snap.

If you're a dex build queelag's soul makes some amazing stuff.

The boss soul items are... quirky. They either require building for them or are not that good compared to the best there is and well, by the time you can craft those weapons you pretty much have access to 99% of the best stuff.

If you are in your first playthrough I'd say who cares. Queelag's swords are mostly for pvp and for when you're comfortable running around with 10 soft humanity.

By far the most straightforward is the great shield but that thing requires 34 strength to lift.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I finally reached the DLC stuff, jeeeeeez what a warm welcome but I was dissapointed how early you
Fight and kill artorias
I tought it was supossed to be a mid boss?

Its a blacksmith material to evolve a weapon to a new one, you dont have to use it, just level up a curve sword to +10 (for that specific soul) and ask the blacksmith to evolve it.

You can also make something else with it =P

Just reached
Sen's Fortress

What weapon are you using atm, and how far is it upgraded?
I would aim for upgrading it +10 (which you should have the ability to do if you've been following the "correct" path so far) then nothing in Sen's will really give you any trouble. The lizard guys are great to practice parrying on, but you can lure them into the traps too.

Love Sen's, such amazing level design <3 - It's tough at first, but once you are familiar with the layout, it's a ton of fun.

Altazor

Just reached
Sen's Fortress

LOL, I died the same way the first time I got there.
YEAH, I'M GONNA FOLLOW THAT BOULDER BECAUSE THERE'S SUPPOSED TO BE A GUY AROUND HERE AND.. WHAAAAAA, I FELL? I DIED? FUCK YOU!"

aw man, I got the
Quelaag's Furysword and it's sweet. I can't say it's the best weapon ever (because my main weapon is a Lightning Halberd) but it's been useful once in a while. You're supposed to craft it at a later point in the game with a certain blacksmith by using the soul
so yeah... you missed out on it, but I'm sure there are other weapons that are worth it, so don't despair!

Sullichin

I'm sad the netcode/infrastructre of Dark Souls is so bad(atleast for the pc-version). I'd love to play a lot of pvp, but when you finally get invaded(or manage to invade) and the the guy magically teleports to your back and backstabs you it really pisses me of. It's such a fucking shame.. so much wasted potential and so bad code.

Also, I'd love if in dark souls 2 they implemented animation cancelling(attack cancelling). There would be two versions of it:

Cancel the animation during windup before the actual swing starts, no real penalty to it except the usual(that you'd lower the shield for that brief moment as usual).

The other one would be canceling during swing, this would cost you normal stamina + some multiplier(like 1.5 maybe) as a penalty.

If it's hard to balance they could create some timing windows like with the riposte so that the animation only can be cancelled at certain frame-spans of the animation. I think this could add another layer to the gameplay without making mechanics overly complex, especially for pvp it would be a great addition. Maybe something like this is already in the game? I've only played it for a couple of weeks but have yet to see anything like it.

Oh and strafe without lock-on would be awesome.

Dark Souls II has dedicated servers, and the half hour or so I was able to play was amazing in regard to online actually working properly. I was able to summon and invade instantly, and there didn't appear to be an appreciable amount of lag at all.

No way to cancel attacks in DS1, although you can change the direction of a swing if you move the analog stick during an attack's wind up animation if you're not locked on. Lock on is a bit different in DS2, it seems like you have more control of a direction of a swing even when locked on.

Not sure how I would feel about actually being able to cancel attacks. I don't really see it working well in PVP at least. PVP would just be a sike-out contest, and it would make parrying very difficult.

Skinpop

Dark Souls II has dedicated servers, and the half hour or so I was able to play was amazing in regard to online actually working properly. I was able to summon and invade instantly, and there didn't appear to be an appreciable amount of lag at all.

No way to cancel attacks in DS1, although you can change the direction of a swing if you move the analog stick during an attack's wind up animation if you're not locked on. Lock on is a bit different in DS2, it seems like you have more control of a direction of a swing even when locked on.

Not sure how I would feel about actually being able to cancel attacks. I don't really see it working well in PVP at least. PVP would just be a sike-out contest, and it would make parrying very difficult.

that's good to hear(about the servers).
Yeah I knew about the changing direction thing.

I think cancelling could work if there was a timing window like with ripostes/parrying. Maybe not the part about cancelling after the forward swing is committed to but until the windup is done atleast.

krakov

that's good to hear(about the servers).
Yeah I knew about the changing direction thing.

I think cancelling could work if there was a timing window like with ripostes/parrying. Maybe not the part about cancelling after the forward swing is committed to but until the windup is done atleast.

Being able to cancel gestures would be a great addition. Not so sure on moves though, balance is good as is with a few exceptions.

I submit for Souls-GAF's approval: certain weapons should be impossible to parry, but suffer either a penalty to swing speed or an inability to backstab/parry themselves.

Parrying a weapon like Grant with a Parrying Dagger...it doesn't make sense. The momentum would be too great. Some weapons just lack finesse. It would prevent strength builds from BS fishing and encourage actual hit-trading combat. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Soulhouf

I submit for Souls-GAF's approval: certain weapons should be impossible to parry, but suffer either a penalty to swing speed or an inability to backstab/parry themselves.

Parrying a weapon like Grant with a Parrying Dagger...it doesn't make sense. The momentum would be too great. Some weapons just lack finesse. It would prevent strength builds from BS fishing and encourage actual hit-trading combat. Am I the only one who feels this way?

I'm with you on this. I like the idea.

It seems that they changed parrying/backstabbing in DS2. I hope it goes in that direction.

Quelaag's Furysword is more versatile and great for PVE, Chaos Blade is extremely powerful and great for PVP.
Nice thanks. I might go for Chaos Blade then. Last night some dude in underwear invaded me, he was fighting barefisted and then with only a shield. He parried one of my attacks and midway through his riposte he whipped out a huge-ass scythe or something and killed me. I don't think I've ever won a single time someone has invaded me. Maybe once during my PS3 playthrough, but not on PC.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Question... anyone have a character in the mid-20's that could dump a couple whips.

Somehow my dual whip character was corrupted during the months I didn't play. Regular whip is easy enough to grab, but notched whip is kind of a pain in the butt for my low-lvl no shield dex build. I kinda dread doing all of that over again... its a total grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom