• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sullichin

No, that was a poster called deckard cain.
Yeah, thought you were talking in reference to that discussion, Nevermind then. But yeah I'd tell a new player to just grab the furysword over getting the very large ember early and min/maxing your stats to use sunlight blade for sure.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So fellow gaffer Red Liquorice did me a huge favor and dropped me some whips, helping me resurrect an old (favorite) build that was lost.

Thing is, these whips are like maxed. Something I wasn't able to do at that point in the older build. I was feeling slightly guilty running around with these things. Until I was invaded about three times in a row by people with way better equipment. The second guy, I actually landed a two-hand R2 with a +5 chaos notched whip. It did 18 damage. lol. He then proceeded to one-shot me. Basically same story with the other invaders, but the last guy I was able to get down a bit before he OHK'd me.

Anyway... I no longer feel guilty running around with these so early.

I have +5 dual scimitars atm for normal play, and for more sporting pvp where people aren't clearly trying to gank. But for those who are... got my "surprise mothafuckkas" just a d-pad press away.

Thanks RL.

Calibus

Congrats! Now enjoy NG+.

I've recently moved back to PS3 after a year of PC -- I'm encountering a few idiots with infinite health (which I thought was only a PC problem). Question: are there any build-breakers on PS3 like PC that I need to be wary of?

Thanks, but speaking of NG+, I wish there was a bit more "different" about it. So far it just seems like tougher enemies. Would be nice if there was also new itemization (or at least different stats to existing items).

Sullichin

Ugh. Reached the first mimic in Sen's Fortress but he fell down the elevator hole when I killed him. No lightning spear for me?

Try quitting and reloading

I missed the lightning spear on my first playthrough and I was pissed. Killed the mimic right as he killed me. Turns out I wasn't missing out on much.

Finally activated the second elevator in Oolalice is there anything useful for Mage in this area?

BTW,
I killed Ciaran for her light armor and I heard a blacksmith but the door is locked
and now I am on a corridor with several melee dudes and two sniper mages

Thanks RL.
Glad to help out.
You can always downgrade them at a blacksmith if you still want to use whips at low level and upgrade them yourself. :)

Ugh. Reached the first mimic in Sen's Fortress but he fell down the elevator hole when I killed him. No lightning spear for me?
Like Sullichin says, try quit/reloading, but if not - it won't be long at all until you can make a lightning spear, or any weapon even.

Went through The Hollow and Ash Lake, also cleared New Londo. 4 Kings were much easier than what i remembered from my first playthrough with Queelag's FS. Finally got my first +15 in this playthrough, a washing pole. Its reach is amazing. I have grass crest shield and cloranthy ring for extra stamina oomph.

I haven't upgraded any armor, only weapons. I go with whatever I fancy wearing as long as it's light. Right now I'm using Velka's set. Tried Xanthous for a bit but I look like a used cotton swab.
Edit:
Not really. I'm not sure if I've ever successfully gotten someone to bleed while using it. The bleed damage is greater than most weapons with bleed (same as Lifehunt scythe I think) but it takes way too long to build up.
Thanks. I'll stop worrying about going back there.

6for8

I need some phantom help in fighting 4 kings. What's the best place to look for white soapstone signs in new londo ruins?

Open area after the elevator from the shrine, near the pacifist hollows. You will see a few on the landing before the ghosts and at the boss fog but the majority will be at the start.

Ng+ and beyond you shouldn't summon Beatrice. She can be fun in NG but really hurts you in +.

If it's ps3 I can help. Will pause the game when summoned.

Open area after the elevator from the shrine, near the pacifist hollows. You will see a few on the landing before the ghosts and at the boss fog but the majority will be at the start.

Ng+ and beyond you shouldn't summon Beatrice. She can be fun in NG but really hurts you in +.

PC :(

I did wait around that landing area near the crazy hollows, couldn't see any so ran to the boss area.

Why? Its like solaire against O&S on N+?

6for8

Why? Its like solaire against O&S on N+?

I find she is only useful as a distraction in NG if you are a ranged character. If you are planning on getting in close with the kings best to leave her home. She adds hp to the boss and they sometimes skate around the abyss chasing her as they cast their homing missile.

NG+ and higher? Nope. Solaire can help you split up S&O but Beatrice is nothing but a HP boost for the kings. Maybe if you had two or three kings active at once but if that has happened, she won't be around for long.

Midway through the archives, maybe beyond that point, 75%. I keep forgetting I need to move on and roam up and down the damn library, getting killed in the process. It's my second least favorite part in the game after the lava love party.

2AdEPT

You assume too much.

The furysword has extremely quick recovery, very low stamina consumption. It's a good weapon. And it can be easily crafted and maxed before even killing O&S.

Please, go tell first time players or relatively newbs to go down into New Londo for the ember and then go kill the Stray for the slab. I mean we do it, but them?

And buffs are sorta meh. Yeah, the numbers are nice, but in pvp opponents will typically jump around and for pve... split build (bad for first time players) to make them worthwhile and the faith buffs are extremely limited. Speaking about the faith buffs, again tell a newcomer to pvp or farm to boredom death the painted world for the souvenirs. Otherwise they have to kill Gwendolyn, invest 30 faith... for 60 seconds of buffed weapon between bonfires. These first timer buff build recommendations reek of theorycrafting.

These buff builds are great for people who already know the game. Honestly, how long do you think is the typical fight against a boss for a first time player? How many buffed blows he'll get out on the boss before it runs out? At the cost of course of gimping his own build.

Seriously, some of you guys drink ENB's kool-aid too much. I'm starting to realize why some people despise him. Funnily enough he even makes a point to mention his recommendations are what works well for him and his style but that's often ignored. Heck, I remember ENB was pimping hard these buff builds... FOR NG+!

Speaking about the washing pole, you need 28 strength and 40 dex to crack 400 AR with it. With those stats the Mura does 552.

We're obviously different players, that is fine....but when someone asks , what is the best weapon?, thankfully, it comes down to movesets, not pure power, In this way, you make up for lost damage, with your elegant weapon (for me washing pole) by going the +15 route, and adding buffs, using the lingering ring instead of the bellowing for longer duration, and stacking it with power within, or even tearstone if you are daring. As for
'noobs", this is the one attitude I detest the most in the souls threads...who on earth, new player or otherwise wishes to be told how to play one of the most creative and multilayered games available? Yes they all ask to be told what to do, but by telling people you can't go here or there, without knowing if they are really up for it or not, is kinda presumptuous. I am the kind of player that purposely rejected the recommended path as soon as I heard there was one. Unfortunately, I didn't find all the shortcuts on my own, but taking them was second best and much better than going through a linear progression in a game that was designed not to force one. I honestly think they created the illusion of a "path" just so guys like me could get off on breaking it. It worked. I love breaking the norm, and can't wait to find all the stuff out myself next time through in DS2. Weapons are the most personal part of the game and to mess with people's "virgin run" by recommending only two or three weapons that are not what they are advertised to be, means my post is coming next dissuading a narrow approach so that possible virgin playthroughs can be done with more diverse choices.

BTW I never knew who ENB was until the DS2 beta video....if we happen to agree on anything its a coincidence...I'm likely more of a Vageta fan myself, although I ahve only watched one of his video series also. Interestingly, none of the top ten lists even have the washing pole, as it is less damage than the uchi, but the reach is going to get that tail, or face of the hellkite dragon, where other weapons won't come close. Jedi's dont need the most damage, they want to use the Force. I think the fury sword is a great situational weapon, in particular for O and S and that is likely the developer placing a fire weapon in the hand of a first time player at the blacksmith, who is fighting Orn for the first time and orn is weak to fire. Beyond that, why would any player want to limit themselves to only fire buff when there are so many to choose from, everyone already has access to pyro, and so many enemies have different weaknesses? By giving the hardest to acquire options as recommendations, the new player can decide for themselves what they want to do for their virgin run and keep searching if they haven't found a "secret" path themselves yet. I never told anyone how to get the washing pole, just that it exists, and hopefully they can without using a wiki.

My recommendations have "noobs" in mind even more than you think, its just that they are less patronizing.

GRIP

For the first time in nearly 200 hours I decided to try my luck in PVP. What did I get from it?

Back stabs from a mile away, OP magic attacks where I didn't even get a chance to fight the asshole that invaded me.

Honestly, lag is sooooo bad that it makes the whole premise obsolete.

I'm on PS3 btw

red731

Hi there. Since yesterdays EU beta I am not thinking about anything else than Dark Souls.

I was never a huge player, but have 10hours played as warrior that is around level 22 and I am still in the Undead Burg(?).... so I haven't made real progress whatsoever...

I don't want to read some tutorial on which is the best or how to approach the game, but would like to know some tips, since I will start a new character...

Please. Which character should I choose and what main stats should I upgrade with him.
I am not afraid of dying - it makes me stronger. So any tip that would help in this new "finish DS" adventure is appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Raide

Hi there. Since yesterdays EU beta I am not thinking about anything else than Dark Souls.

I was never a huge player, but have 10hours played as warrior that is around level 22 and I am still in the Undead Burg(?).... so I haven't made real progress whatsoever...

I don't want to read some tutorial on which is the best or how to approach the game, but would like to know some tips, since I will start a new character...

Please. Which character should I choose and what main stats should I upgrade with him.
I am not afraid of dying - it makes me stronger. So any tip that would help in this new "finish DS" adventure is appreciated. Thanks a bunch

Hrmmm...a tough question. In reality, just play all classes and see how you get on. Ranged characters have an easier time early on. It is well worth picking a weapon fighter, since you will learn all the Parry and Riposte stuff, which is vital. The classes are just stating items and how your stats are set out. You can make them all the same, or all different.

Really boils down to what type of player you are.

I have all manner of different classes, so play around with them all. Build a warrior with Faith and throw lightning bolts at people. :D

Soulhouf

Upgrade your weapons and never put any point in resistance.
The class you choose will only change how you start the adventure, the rest is up to you.

Evolved1

A lot of people start with Pyromancer because, like the Royal in DeS, he begins at level 1 and so his first few levels are a lot cheaper, and is more of a clean slate to mold into whatever you want. Also, he starts with a fireball spell and the pyro glove allowing early use of pyromancy. Which, btw is completely dumb and broken in Dark Souls because it is essentially "free". Unlike miracles or magic, the strength of pyro spells isn't dependent on any stat (faith for miracles, intelligence for magic) it's purely based on the level of one's glove, which is leveled through souls! You don't even require materials to level it like you do for all other equipment! The only stat a pyro player has to possibly invest in is attunement, which allows you to carry more spells at a time, and switch among them. So your character might know 5-6 spells, but low attunement means you can only have one equipped at a time.

That said... what you roll in Souls depends on how you want to play. You can mold any starting class to be whatever you want. And if you level into the 100's, the more room you have for early errors or experimentation. Do whatever you want. There are going to be some invaders ganking you no matter what level you are, these people have exploited the game.

Just play whatever you want and have fun.

But here is some noob advice on leveling:

VIT and END are never really wasted. They are good investments always. (There's quite a lot to say about END and how it works in the game, but you could check wiki for a breakdown on that)

STR and DEX imo should only be leveled to use a particular weapon you want, how you want to use it. So, if you want to one-hand a greatsword, level it to that point. Or whatever weapon. But stop there.

I do not recommend leveling for any weapon-scaling effect. Chances are, especially in your first playthrough, you will likely upgrade to lightning,fire, etc... nullifing scaling, and having 80 DEX is just a waste!

Do not ever, in your life, invest a single level point into resistance. Or you will die irl. The universe will kill you for being that dumb. It's true, that's why no one levels RES, because everyone who would is already dead.

Now general advice:

• Don't aggro NPC's.
  • Have fun.
  • Once you defeat a boss in an area, you can no longer be invaded. You're safe to run around there with your souls in human form.
  • Play in human form when you can. Yeah, non-sporting ganking invaders suck, but this is still the way to enjoy Souls games.

Agree with all the above will just do a +1 to a few things:

- Upgrading your weapon is more important than levelling in the beginning. If you want to do more damage, don't grind for souls to level up, this goes against most other RPGs I know, but that's Souls.

- Character class is all but irrelevant. The stat distribution on the starting classes are negligible, and all the starting armour and weapons are all available as loot or to buy early on.

- If you do aggro NPCs, you don't have to kill them. There is a certain NPC early on who can absolve you which will de-aggro (of course if you kill him, you're on your own!) Blacksmiths especially are important, don't fuck with them.

- Grinding - Don't bother. You don't need to, at some point you will lose a few thousand souls and think it's the end of the world - it isn't. The few thousand you get early on will be peanuts later on. If you do want souls, the easiest way to get them is as a co-op phantom. Every boss you kill in someone else's world nets you big souls and 1 humanity (no progress is made in your world, so you can do this as many times as you like).

Evolved1

Oh yeah... don't consume firekeeper souls when you find them. Those are used to upgrade your Estus Flask.

Btw... a lot of new players don't know this, but if you have a white phantom helping you through a level, using estus heals them too!

Calibus

Ugh. So I just lost 170k souls during a corpse run due to a stupid error on my part. Oh well, I plenty of NG+ left plus lots of consumables.

What was your all's most "painful" loss of souls/humanity?

Not sure what happened yesterday but PvP in the township was amazing. I was able to invade people non stop or get invaded. lot of variety. I've had the PC version about a month and I've never encountered so many people online. It was great. I was around sl 80 still leveling to 100.

Booshka

65 million souls and 99 Humanity on a PvP character. Spaced out and fell off a cliff, forgot to put on ring of sacrifice and lost the bloodstain.

Give us a description of how it plays out and what gear you are using. Maybe we can give you a few tips.

and Sanchez has a no-hitter into the 7th. A NO-HITTER everyone!!!
Double handing +4 black knight sword, dodging evading. I have good stamina regen with the green grass and crest shield. Always die around when the 3rd and 4th king show up.

I have ring of favor and protection and artorias ring of abyss. Beatrice has very shitty soul spells and as far as Im concerned it's better off without her.

Sullichin

Double handing +4 black knight sword, dodging evading. I have good stamina regen with the green grass and crest shield. Always die around when the 3rd and 4th king show up.

I have ring of favor and protection and artorias ring of abyss. Beatrice has very shitty soul spells and as far as Im concerned it's better off without her.
Still playing? I'm down for NG+ 4Kings

EDIT: lovely, my PC save file seems to be corrupted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom