• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wired

Playing on PC? What SL?

Too late, just finished the expansion side of things. It was mostly for completions sake I wanted it, but I would have never used it anyway so I decided to skip it. Thanks though!

Anyway, as this means I've done pretty much everything all that remains is to tie up some lose ends. Does anyone have some recommendations or ideas as to what I should spend my slabs on?

As I mentioned above I have only used 1 Titanite slab so far, so I wanted to upgrade some fun weapons in preparation for NG.

Divius

Too late, just finished the expansion side of things. It was mostly for completions sake I wanted it, but I would have never used it anyway so I decided to skip it. Thanks though!

Anyway, as this means I've done pretty much everything all that remains is to tie up some lose ends. Does anyone have some recommendations or ideas as to what I should spend my slabs on?

As I mentioned above I have only used 1 Titanite slab so far, so I wanted to upgrade some fun weapons in preparation for NG.
Have you been to
The Painted World of Ariamis
yet?

so i heard that dark souls/demon souls was the spiritual successor to the kings field series.

Does anyone know why the creators removed background music from dark souls? one of the things that made kings field so good when i was young was the music.

Dark Souls with background music? Cringe City, population NOPE.

It would largely strip the game of its unique atmosphere, not to mention detract from the beauty/impact of Firelink's theme, the sound of invasions, the bell tone when you enter a new area, etc. DS' implementation of music is the epitome of 'less is more' being utilized to perfection.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Met my first Vagrant today while playing. It was quite a -- unique experience.

I think I had more than 200 hours under my belt when I finally met a vagrant. After all that time waiting it was honestly a bit of a disappointment. I'd mentally built it up into something a lot more impressive than what it proved to be.

Dark Souls with background music? Cringe City, population NOPE.

It would largely strip the game of its unique atmosphere, not to mention detract from the beauty/impact of Firelink's theme, the sound of invasions, the bell tone when you enter a new area, etc. DS' implementation of music is the epitome of 'less is more' being utilized to perfection.

Ash Lake as well. The musical component of the area and the contrast with the rest of the game that it creates is a big part of why it's got such an impact.

Divius

Last couple of times I just co-oped bed of chaos. One goes right, one goes left. Hit it immediately after eachother, make your way back to the front, go for the jump; phantom goes first, pray he doesn't do his fire attack.

But yeah, he's a pain in the ass.

valouris

Alright, I have probably made some grave mistakes with my character, but so far I don't have any problems. I made a wanderer, but my main weapon has been a Raw Bastard Sword +5. I have used points both on Str and Dex, more on Dex because I know my character is a Dex character. Obviously I am not putting that dexterity to good use.

I have learned to use my Bastard Sword very well, and the reason I don't like Dex weapons is because it takes more hits to kill enemies, and in my opinion, the more time it takes to kill sth the more likely it is to take damage from it. Also, the stun from the heavy weapons is quite welcome indeed.

I realize if I upgrade dexterity weapons they will do much more damage, but I don't know if I should spend my resources on sth that I might not end up liking/using.

Ultimately, I don't want to spend resources that I will not be able to find again later on. I don't have a problem with farming, but I don't want to use items that are unique or very rare, like twinkling titanites, or dragon scales, or demon titanites. I guess my question is which crafting items cannot be farmed and can only be used once? I want to experiment, but not with a detrimental effect on my save :)

Soulhouf

Alright, I have probably made some grave mistakes with my character, but so far I don't have any problems. I made a wanderer, but my main weapon has been a Raw Bastard Sword +5. I have used points both on Str and Dex, more on Dex because I know my character is a Dex character. Obviously I am not putting that dexterity to good use.

I have learned to use my Bastard Sword very well, and the reason I don't like Dex weapons is because it takes more hits to kill enemies, and in my opinion, the more time it takes to kill sth the more likely it is to take damage from it. Also, the stun from the heavy weapons is quite welcome indeed.

I realize if I upgrade dexterity weapons they will do much more damage, but I don't know if I should spend my resources on sth that I might not end up liking/using.

Ultimately, I don't want to spend resources that I will not be able to find again later on. I don't have a problem with farming, but I don't want to use items that are unique or very rare, like twinkling titanites, or dragon scales, or demon titanites. I guess my question is which crafting items cannot be farmed and can only be used once? I want to experiment, but not with a detrimental effect on my save :)

Raw upgrade is only good when you keep your stat very low and before you get the very large amber.
Now that you beat Anor Londo, go to New Londo, grab the Very Large Amber and enjoy making the strongest weapons in the game.

Regarding the materials, you can farm anything you want but the dragon scales are the most annoying to farm, if you exclude blue, white and red slabs.

How do you cheese it? I'm curious to see how the cheesing method differed from the way I did it.

The way I do it is right side 1st. Hit target and then exit/reload. Go back in hug wall to left then either make jump & short run to target or use bow from out of it's attack range to kill it. Exit/reload. This time I break out drake sword/dragon tooth for extra fire protection and use flash sweat as well as fire resistant gear. Go back in and do the middle run. Even if the fire hits it wont kill me just need to time the jump. Job done.

neoemonk

The way I do it is right side 1st. Hit target and then exit/reload. Go back in hug wall to left then either make jump & short run to target or use bow from out of it's attack range to kill it. Exit/reload. This time I break out drake sword/dragon tooth for extra fire protection and use flash sweat as well as fire resistant gear. Go back in and do the middle run. Even if the fire hits it wont kill me just need to time the jump. Job done.

Oh wow. I never tried it but I would think the boss would reset on exit/reload.

If you like heavier weapons but still want to benefit from your investment in dex, look for what are called quality weapons, which are weapons that scale with both STR and DEX. The Bastard Sword is actually one of those weapons, so that's OK if you like the moveset. Like Soulhouf says though, Raw is a poor upgrade path except at a very low level, so upgrade along the normal path to +15.

Claymore is a heavier sword than the Bastard and also a quality weapon scaling with both, so you might want to check that out too.

Calibus

I think I had more than 200 hours under my belt when I finally met a vagrant. After all that time waiting it was honestly a bit of a disappointment. I'd mentally built it up into something a lot more impressive than what it proved to be.

Yeah, similar situations save for already knowing about them. I was in Lower Undead Burg when I saw one pop out near the entrance to the area. I thought "WTF? Ghost crab?!"

It's weird though, after 4 characters and hundreds of hours into the game, I not only see my first one, but two more almost immediately after in Blighttown. I wonder if there's some kind of trigger in the game that opens the floodgates on them once you reach a certain point.

Hobobloke

Yeah, similar situations save for already knowing about them. I was in Lower Undead Burg when I saw one pop out near the entrance to the area. I thought "WTF? Ghost crab?!"

It's weird though, after 4 characters and hundreds of hours into the game, I not only see my first one, but two more almost immediately after in Blighttown. I wonder if there's some kind of trigger in the game that opens the floodgates on them once you reach a certain point.

Probably saw my first one between 100-150 hours in on mine.

I've only ever seen four Vagrants total and two of them were just the other day within about 15 minutes of each other while waiting for summons in the Parish, was a nice surprise.

Luckily enough they were each a different type too so I'm quite content as far as Vagrants go.

ixix

Any upgrade item can be farmed, mercifully. The only relatively difficult upgrade items to farm are the various colors of Titanite Slabs, which do drop from some enemies but most folks just make do with the guaranteed ones you can find in the game and use NG+ to acquire more.

Twinkling Titanites are sold by the Anor Londo blacksmith for 8000 souls a pop, so all you need is raw currency to get as many as you want. Dragon Scales are dropped by the drakes in the Valley of Drakes, it's a relatively rare drop but it's easy to farm them using the bonfire near where the Grass Crest Shield is. Demon Titanite is primarily dropped by Titanite Demons, most of which don't respawn. There is one respawning one, however, located right at
the rear entrance of Lost Izalith
. It's a bit of a hike from the nearest bonfire to where he is, but the Demon Titanite is a guaranteed drop so you don't need to worry about repeating the trek too many times.

The funny thing about my Vagrant meeting was that it was one of two things that I hadn't experienced, the other being a successful curse from a Gravelord. When I finally met the Vagrant that left only the Gravelord curse to be accomplished to have pretty much gotten the full Dark Souls experience, and that actually happened within about 3 hours of meeting the Vagrant. So 200+ hours with nothing, and then the two things I'd never seen happened within a single play session.

I was lucky that day.

Calibus

The funny thing about my Vagrant meeting was that it was one of two things that I hadn't experienced, the other being a successful curse from a Gravelord. When I finally met the Vagrant that left only the Gravelord curse to be accomplished to have pretty much gotten the full Dark Souls experience, and that actually happened within about 3 hours of meeting the Vagrant. So 200+ hours with nothing, and then the two things I'd never seen happened within a single play session.

I was lucky that day.

Still have never found a Gravelord, I get the messages, but have never met one. Only thing I have read is that they only show up in NG+ or beyond?

After a brief hiatus because of a trip, I'm back in business. I'm in the
Tomb of the Giants
and I've done everything except for the DLC which I'm saving for the very last. Spent most of my playthrough with a +15 washing pole, but my new favorite weapon is the gargoyle's halberd. It's got a sweet range and at +14 I deal more damage than with the washing pole. I'm still sitting on a titanite slab thanks to
good old Siegmeyer, may he RIP in peace :p
, and was wondering if it would be a good investment to use it to reinforce the halberd to +15. I also have Ricard's Rapier at +14, but I've never tried that one out seriously.

Right now I'm farming humanities with the
baby fetuses
, as soon as I'm done there, I might try out my luck at getting a slab drop from the darkwraiths.

Sullichin

Tomb of the Giants
and I've done everything except for the DLC which I'm saving for the very last. Spent most of my playthrough with a +15 washing pole, but my new favorite weapon is the gargoyle's halberd. It's got a sweet range and at +14 I deal more damage than with the washing pole. I'm still sitting on a titanite slab thanks to
, and was wondering if it would be a good investment to use it to reinforce the halberd to +15. I also have Ricard's Rapier at +14, but I've never tried that one out seriously.

baby fetuses
, as soon as I'm done there, I might try out my luck at getting a slab drop from the darkwraiths.

Yeah Gargoyle's halberd is a great weapon, if you like it I say go for the +15. Not a big fan of rapiers personally.

6for8

Still have never found a Gravelord, I get the messages, but have never met one. Only thing I have read is that they only show up in NG+ or beyond?

You can see the gravelord sign and invade the gravelorder in ng but will only have the phantoms in+ and beyond.

I have spent a few hours gravelording a friend and it was surprisingly easy to do, even managed to be summoned into their world to see the phantoms. Needed to quit&reload for my soul sign to show up, when I first used the soapstone my sign would show up as a gravelord sign.

Still such a broken covenant. You should at least receive souls if your phantoms kill the gravelorded. If you don't hide your sign, you are invaded by the first ng player that comes along. If you hide it nothing happens. Only invasions I do involve the trident, maybe gravelording should be something like that. It would be an active invasion where your only weapon was a catalyst that could summon black phantoms.

GRIP

How do you cheese it? I'm curious to see how the cheesing method differed from the way I did it.

Every time I hit one of the things (don't even know what to call them) I quit out of the game so I don't have to run back to center of the area. Unlike every other boss in the game, your progress stays saved even if you quit the game. So I quit, then get restarted back at the fog gate leading to the boss chamber.

Edit: just noticed that this has been mentioned in above posts.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Your character is not a DEX character unless you want it to be that way. Starting classes only determine starting stat points and items, nothing else. You can start a wanderer and build up a sorcerer if you want.

Now, if slow but powerful weapons is what you like, STR is your friend. As an intermediate point, you can try the quality weapons (dex/str mixouts althrough generally its mostly about reqs and the bulk of your damage will come from either one of those two stats depending on the weapon) to try to find your ideal speed point. I would recommend you seek the Claymore and the Zweihander to practice what kind of speed you are comfortable with, then build from there.

valouris

Just beat
Seathe
, on my first try, solo! So proud :p I would not have used all of my estus flasks if I had realized
from the start I had to cut that shiny string thingy, I must have dealt close to 1/3 of his life that he regenerated at the start.

2AdEPT

Tomb of the Giants

baby fetuses

be prepared for a potentially long wait...I am not a farming type by any stretch, but I have never got a slab from them. 1 slab for every 60 chunks is standard....something like a 1-2% drop rate?

be prepared for a potentially long wait...I am not a farming type by any stretch, but I have never got a slab from them. 1 slab for every 60 chunks is standard....something like a 1-2% drop rate?
Yeah, after a long-ass time during my PS3 playthrough, I got one measly slab. So far in PC no luck.

Started the DLC. Holy shit Artorias is hard.

Booshka

Flameberge +15, Dex scaling Greatsword.

valouris

So I found that I was missing some warp bonfire around Blighttown, since I immediately pussy-boned away after ringing Queelag's bell. (on my way I found a Saito and a Whip, wuuuut), so I reached a new bonfire under Queelag's domain in Demon ruins, I rested and I warped away, only to find out it is not warpable. So every time you need to go to Blighttown you need to go all the way through the Depths or Firelink Shrine?? Isn't there another warpable bonfire nearby?

The more I play this game and the more comfortable I get in its world the more awesome it gets, it was quite fun going through Blighttown again much stronger, and having no fear of the enemies there, while previously shitting my pants in every turn and ladder. Cant wait to see what's next, and cant wait to replay it with a different character.

So I found that I was missing some warp bonfire around Blighttown, since I immediately pussy-boned away after ringing Queelag's bell. (on my way I found a Saito and a Whip, wuuuut), so I reached a new bonfire under Queelag's domain in Demon ruins, I rested and I warped away, only to find out it is not warpable. So every time you need to go to Blighttown you need to go all the way through the Depths or Firelink Shrine?? Isn't there another warpable bonfire nearby?

There is a hidden bonfire in Queelag's area where you ring the bell. That particular one is warpable.

And a semi-important-ish common mistake most people do when finding that bonfire:
DON'T kill the egg-invested guy who is blocking the way to the bonfire, answer YES to his question, otherwise he won't let you pass and you will need to reload for him to ask you again.

ijed

Another classic souls moment:
My SL12 chaos scythebro gets summoned along with a another scythebro using magic weapon. We both follow the host who beelines down to the boss, not realising channeller hadn't been killed. Gaping gets buffed, host gets squashed .... at least we got him a new weapon to go with his drake sword lol.

and I wonder why I can't stop playing this game :D

Sinfamy

I best the game at SL 1 and have been doing nothing but massacreing players with +5 lightning Axe and giant armor/ Havel armor in Undead Church for months.
What are some other fun trolling techniques?

I earned this, don't tell me otherwise.

Soulhouf

I best the game at SL 1 and have been doing nothing but massacreing players with +5 lightning Axe and giant armor/ Havel armor in Undead Church for months.

Go invade in Burg instead of Parish and you'll feel the same thing that the players in Parish are experiencing. Perhaps not exactly the same since you'll not trying to progress in the level.
Fun stuff.

neoemonk

As much as I feel like every time I get invaded I'm just being trolled, I think this is my favorite Dark Souls post ever.

I got invaded once in Anor Londo at the last bonfire between O&S. I was having a real hard time with those guys and kept coming back to human form because I wanted Solaire to help me. The problem is I could never get through to the boss fight before getting invaded and killed. I suck at PVP in every game ever so this is a normal occurrence for me, but this particular invasion was different.

The invader let me come up to him and hit him and I could do almost no damage. He would take out different weapons and hit me and they would all almost one shot me, but then he would let me heal up. I probably spent five minutes dicking around with this guy and then said screw it. If he kills me he kills me, I can't touch him. So I just started playing the game again and he just followed me around and watched me fight. In a way this was worse than just killing me because I felt like I was being judged and it made me really self conscious and I got killed by one of the statues outside the boss room.

ixix

That's one of my favorite invasion tactics. Just invade and then stare. Don't attack, just make the host self-conscious. Sen's Fortress is great for this, because people need to be paranoid with an invader in the game whenever they do something involving the boulders or swinging blades. It's great fun to wait in the room with the final bridge with blades just before the rooftop section and just stand there and watch them while they try to cross.

They rarely make it. For bonus fun equip a greatbow while you watch them. You don't actually need to have the stats to use it, because it's just there to freak them out.

Invasions where you kill the host without ever attacking are the best. They're like the Platonic ideal of invasions.

Noobest is currently going for a sub-1:30 all bosses speedrun
http://www.twitch.tv/noobest
Oh man he started over because he missed the Duke's skip a few times. :( Damn these speedruns require an insane amount of patience

I missed this obviously, but did he pull it off? I kinda gave up on speedrunning Dark Souls after deciding I didn't really have the tenacity to cut my ~2 hour completion times in half to really be competitive. Sometimes I get a bit of a hankerin' to start trying again, though.

Sullichin

That's one of my favorite invasion tactics. Just invade and then stare. Don't attack, just make the host self-conscious. Sen's Fortress is great for this, because people need to be paranoid with an invader in the game whenever they do something involving the boulders or swinging blades. It's great fun to wait in the room with the final bridge with blades just before the rooftop section and just stand there and watch them while they try to cross.

They rarely make it. For bonus fun equip a greatbow while you watch them. You don't actually need to have the stats to use it, because it's just there to freak them out.

Invasions where you kill the host without ever attacking are the best. They're like the Platonic ideal of invasions.

I missed this obviously, but did he pull it off? I kinda gave up on speedrunning Dark Souls after deciding I didn't really have the tenacity to cut my ~2 hour completion times in half to really be competitive. Sometimes I get a bit of a hankerin' to start trying again, though.
I don't think so. He was doing really well and then messed up the Duke's skip a couple of times and restarted. Then he was doing much better and died on Artorias.

butts

Doing another no-shield playthrough, this time with fist weapons only. Just punched the gaping dragon to death. Anybody have any fist weapon experience? I don't like having to apply buffs to weapons even though that would be the best damage output option for these pieces of crap. Which would be better end-game - claw +15 or lightning claw +5? Scaling seems pretty shitty for all of the fist weapons so I feel like buffing dex wouldn't be the best option but I don't know.

ixix

I don't think so. He was doing really well and then messed up the Duke's skip a couple of times and restarted. Then he was doing much better and died on Artorias.

I'd imagine the expansion pretty dramatically increased the difficulty level of all bosses runs. I've never actually tried one since it's release, though. I oughtta do that one of these days.

Doesn't sound like his runs were going very smoothly in general, though. Them's the breaks.

He also quit and restarted on the Sanctuary Guardian after it was being annoying.

I never really liked that quitting and reloading was an accepted practice for Dark Souls speedruns. I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that as soon as you see the title screen again your run is over, but that clearly didn't become the accepted standard.

Usually only see it employed when people mess up the Anor Londo archers, though.

Sullichin

I'd imagine the expansion pretty dramatically increased the difficulty level of all bosses runs. I've never actually tried one since it's release, though. I oughtta do that one of these days.

Doesn't sound like his runs were going very smoothly in general, though. Them's the breaks.

I never really liked that quitting and reloading was an accepted practice for Dark Souls speedruns. I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that as soon as you see the title screen again your run is over, but that clearly didn't become the accepted standard.

Usually only see it employed when people mess up the Anor Londo archers, though.

I very rarely see speedrunners mess up the archers actually. More often it's the painting guardian rafters. Quitting/reloading is really common just to be able to use bonfires because it resets enemy aggro, and sometimes quitting/reloading a boss if there's a difficult AI pattern going on. The latter is kind of lame but it's all fair game, still takes an insane amount of skill and patience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom