• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit Solaire is dead and I find out I was supposed to take a shortcut to keep him alive. This is what I hate about this game. It makes us rely on guides completely.

man, fuck Tomb of the Giants. Fuck that place.

Don't worry, this is something the devs almost certainly didn't expect people to do on their first playthrough.

If he does survive what exactly happens? Where does he hang out after?

I am considering saving him. But I haven't summoned him not even once so far, and I don't think I will for the remainder of the game either.

Do I get a special sun bro ending if I do save him?

Altazor

yay, fuck you Nito! I DEFEATED.

Took me 3 or 4 tries, but I found the whole bonfire-Nito path annoying as fuck, ESPECIALLY that ambushing giant skeleton. Man, screw that guy.

The first couple of tries I killed every skeleton beast and giant skeleton I could before venturing outside... and then I'd be ambushed by "that" scumbag and lose my souls. Then I said: "fuck it" and just ran past everything until that cave. Then I lost again because my character decided ROLLING OFF THE LEDGE WAS A GOOD IDEA. I disagreed.

Then, after a while I ran past them without even trying to fight. Couple of Pinwheels - blam. Fuck those skeleton babies, I'm not getting swarmed.

And then, finally, Nito. Dead on my first try. All over again.

Running - fighting - running again - pinwheels - Nito. Managed to get him under 1/4 health. And then I get cornered by a couple of giant skeletons that appeared from the other side of the room and get mercilessly slaughtered. All over again.

Running - fighting - running again - pinwheels - Nito. Dual-wielding my divine weapon took care of the skeletons. And then... Quelaag's Furysword time! Dual-wielding that shit, rolling, escaping when Nito did that huge AoE attack and then spamming R1. Victory achieved in, like, 5 minutes.

So yeah, I DEFEATED. Feels good man. And fuck Tomb of the Giants.

Ill Saint

Hah, you've already got some of the best ones in there. Let me guess your 180 dragonslayer has 40/dex/strength/faith? If so you can use all weapons on that one already.

For crazy ass builds...

With a 66/80/80/80 str/dex/int/faith and the greatsword of artorias you will have an ar of 705 going two handed..

A 99 str/int enchanted club +5 will have an AR over 800.

Mind you they're both split damage affairs...

For something more sane a humble 28/40 strngth/dexterity Murakumo is great fun.

You can also go crazy with buffs, stacking NG+ and over... with enough slots and enough NG+ the amount of buffs is super high.

At the levels you're talking the sky's the limit.

Or you can vit gouge... 99 vitality, mask of the mother and favor ring will be a bit over 2,5k hps.

Whatever floats your boat dude =)
Thanks or the tips, might give the Murakumo a try!

blahness

And fuck Tomb of the Giants.

I agree, I finished TotG tonight and so far this is the place that has caused me the most grief. Fuck those bear skeletons. Finally figured out that you can basically stealth from the second bonfire to the Nito cave path entrance which saved my sanity a bit only to have the NPC paladin invade and smash me. After whooping him, it was cake from there.

Question about the gravelord bonfire. If you kill Nito before joining the gravelord covenant, is there any way to join? If not, what is the point of the bonfire down there?

Oreoleo

If he does survive what exactly happens? Where does he hang out after?

You can summon him to help fight against Gwyn.

Question about the gravelord bonfire. If you kill Nito before joining the gravelord covenant, is there any way to join? If not, what is the point of the bonfire down there?
Nope! All 4 of the bosses post-Lordvessel have a bonfire after you kill them so you don't have to backtrack for 10 minutes to get out of the area.

Edit: Actually with the exception of Seath you would be stuck in the boss arena if there wasn't a bonfire afterwards and you didn't have any homeward bones.

I played this game for about 30 hours on 360, and got to Sen's Fortress. I had a Jagged Ghost Blade that I'd gotten in New Londo Ruins, by chance. I'd upgraded it and it served me well to that point.

I rebought the game on PS3 and started over. I got to Blightown now, about SL 39, and my weapon sucks. I thought I'd go back and try to get that Jagged Ghost Blade again, but apparently it's kind of rare and maybe I just got lucky last time? Also apparently I wasn't even supposed to BE in New Londo Ruins at my level.

Can someone tell me what I should be doing as far as a weapon right now? Is it realistic to grind for that Jagged Ghost Blade, or did I just get really lucky getting it last time? Is it even that good of a weapon? Otherwise, what should I be looking for and where should I find it? Regular dudes in Blighttown are taking 5-6 hits to kill and that's too much. I'm a pyromancer if that matters. So not much dexterity at all.

I don't really want to shoot a dragon's tail 200 times for that sword everyone goes for. Anything more unique?

krakov

I played this game for about 30 hours on 360, and got to Sen's Fortress. I had a Jagged Ghost Blade that I'd gotten in Old Londo Ruins, by chance. I'd upgraded it and it served me well to that point.

I rebought the game on PS3 and started over. I got to Blightown now, about SL 39, and my weapon sucks. I thought I'd go back and try to get that Jagged Ghost Blade again, but apparently it's kind of rare and maybe I just got lucky last time? Also apparently I wasn't even supposed to BE in Old Londo Ruins at my level.

Can someone tell me what I should be doing as far as a weapon right now? Is it realistic to grind for that Jagged Ghost Blade, or did I just get really lucky getting it last time? Is it even that good of a weapon? Otherwise, what should I be looking for and where should I find it? Regular dudes in Blighttown are taking 5-6 hits to kill and that's too much. I'm a pyromancer if that matters. So not much dexterity at all.

I don't really want to shoot a dragon's tail 200 times for that sword everyone goes for. Anything more unique?

Ghost blade is very similar to the drake sword in that its good early on but also stops being useful around mid game. Scimitar/Falchion is similar in moveset to the ghost blade, both are dex scaling and will last the game for sure.

What are your offensive stats? Str, dex, int, fai?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hey, do magic weapons scale with INT?

I can't remember. My caster build was forever ago... and I mostly casted. lol

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone tell me what I should be doing as far as a weapon right now? Is it realistic to grind for that Jagged Ghost Blade, or did I just get really lucky getting it last time? Is it even that good of a weapon? Otherwise, what should I be looking for and where should I find it?

You might have missed some heavy weaponry.

There is one such weapon just below the dragon on the bridge
(its worth to do suicide runs as a hollow for that).

Then there is one really uber weapon
at the corner in the cemetery
, on the far end across all those
skeletons

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
One of those requires a STR investment.

Both if you want to one-hand them.

Most weapons in the game will last you the entire game, it's all about upgrading them.

Think about what sort of weapon you like - fast and stabby, big and heavy, or somewhere inbetween. Look through the weapons you have picked up and see what sort of moveset you like too, that's just as important as damage.

Some popular choices - Uchigatana (ninja style katana), Halberd (long range, can hit multiple enemies), Claymore (big sword, varied moveset), Longsword (average sword, very balanced moveset. All available very early and before Blighttown.

They do scale yes - depends on the weapon as to what grade.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I played this game for about 30 hours on 360, and got to Sen's Fortress. I had a Jagged Ghost Blade that I'd gotten in Old Londo Ruins, by chance. I'd upgraded it and it served me well to that point.

I rebought the game on PS3 and started over. I got to Blightown now, about SL 39, and my weapon sucks. I thought I'd go back and try to get that Jagged Ghost Blade again, but apparently it's kind of rare and maybe I just got lucky last time? Also apparently I wasn't even supposed to BE in Old Londo Ruins at my level.

Jagged Ghost Blade isn't all that good. It's got fairly low base damage and terrible scaling. It's mostly just there so you have some sort of option for hurting the ghosts that doesn't involve a Transient Curse or a non-transient curse.

Pretty much any weapon is viable if you keep it upgraded. You get the Large Ember from the Depths and when you give it to Andrei he'll be able to upgrade any basic weapon up to +10. A +10 weapon of pretty much any sort will take you through the first two-thirds of the game with little problem.

Otherwise, there are a few old standbys that don't require any embers or material farming that people tend to make use of on their first playthrough:

Drake Sword - You get this by cutting off the tail of the Drake on the bridge. Decent damage output right out of the gate, and it's 100% physical damage so there's no loss due to splitting. You've already said you don't feel like doing picking it up, but it's sort of the classic new player weapon.

Astora's Straight Sword - Not really very good at all, what with its split damage and all, but if you're running some Faith it's not a terrible weapon to tide you over to something better. It's located in the Valley of Drakes, you can't miss it. It's right next to a rather prominent and ornery landmark.

Lightning Spear - Found in Sen's Fortress in a spiffy treasure chest. It's the classic upgrade to the Drake Sword for a new player. Low stat requirements and perfectly usable as soon as you get it. Handy little pokey stick, it is.

Gravelord Sword - Requires a detour to the Catacombs to take a nap in a sarcophagus to pick up. Has a rather high Strength requirement. Looks neat, hollows will swoon when they see you packing it.

Tin Banishment Catalyst - Sort of fun for an Int-focused build, it's a catalyst with rather high physical damage output, removing the need to switch back and forth between a catalyst and a standard weapon. Useless for any non-sorcery build, and gets long in the tooth rapidly since it can't be upgraded. It's found in Blighttown, above the waterwheel zombie dog-wheel.

I was sure I had six go-to zero-maintenance weapons in mind when I started that list, but here I wrote down five and can't remember what the last one was. Oh well.

Yes, but not all that well. Magic weapons have higher base damage than Enchanted weapons, but Enchanted weapons scale better with stats. Neither upgrade path is very good, really. Int builds are basically always best served by either a +15 weapon paired with enchantments or the Moonlight Greatsword. Honorable mention to the Moonlight Butterfly Horn for being monolithic magic damage with minimal non-Int stat investment.

Divius

I love the Moonlight Greatsword on my sorcerer character.

Anyone got any pointers for a faith character? Are there any 'best' weapons/shield/armor/miracles for it? Atm I've put most souls into Faith and END, using a claymore +10 and some random shield+armor.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.

Anyone got any pointers for a faith character? Are there any 'best' weapons/shield/armor/miracles for it? Atm I've put most souls into Faith and END, using a claymore +10 and some random shield+armor.

I haven't run all that many Faith characters, but I can think of a couple:

- 30 Faith is enough, for the most part. At 30 Faith you can use every Miracle other than Bountiful Sunlight, Soothing Sunlight, and Sunlight Spear, none of which are very good. Though admittedly Sunlight Spear does make you feel like a badass. Pretty much the only practical reason to go beyond 30 is for an extreme Darkmoon Blade and Sunlight Blade-focused character. That's an extremely PvP-centric build, though.

- At 30 Faith the best talisman in the game is the Canvas Talisman. The Darkmoon Talisman only surpasses it when you go above 40 Faith.

- Dexterity seems to be the most popular stat to pair with Faith, since quick weapons pair best with the Faith weapon enchantments. I've done a Faith build with Ricard's Rapier and enjoyed it, though again that's rather PvP-focused. For PvE purposes Int builds are better for weapon enchantments since it's easier for them to pack their Attunement slots full of enchants.

- 34 Strength and 30 Faith means you can two-hand Grant, which is tons of fun. You don't get much more boom-boom-smashy-smashy than a Grant build. 50 Strength opens the ability to one-hand Grant, but you can't use its special attack when you're one-handing it so it's of questionable utility assuming you're accustomed to two-handing your weapons.

That's all that comes to mind. I've basically only done one Dex/Faith build and one Grant build, so maybe somebody who's run more Faith builds will have more tips.

Soulhouf

I love the Grant weapon. It's a lot of fun, does massive damage and completely murders the skeletons.
Its R2 2H attack is basically a "unlimited" Wrath of the Gods. Equip repair powder to be able to recharge it and you're good to go.
I would go for a 50 fai/34 str character. With these stats Grant's damage is maxed 2H and you'll be able to take advantage of all miracles. Darkmoon Blade with the Darkmoon Talisman is particular is so strong that you'll be able to murder most of the bosses in few seconds with a buffed Great Axe, Demon Great Machete, Great Club and so on.

2AdEPT

This all started because you can't see beyond your own buff meta that only serves one purpose and that's a gimp build for NG for newcomers. The moment I put here a recommendation for an unbuffable weapon you went into a fury. I'm sorry your little jedi roleplay theater got butthurt, but there's other options out there.

And heck the +15 buff route puts way higher restrictions on someone's playthrough that requires setting them on a fixed path that getting a very nice weapon right at Anor Londo. You talk big about go everywhere, jump, explore but at the end of the day your recommendations are directing people strictly towards New Londo and then the Asylum.

And seriously, your badass example is a tailcut? That thing that's trivial with two players? Seriously? So have I done that, and so have many of us in this thread.

I'm done with this crap, this used to be a nice thread.

It would appear so.

thanks for removing yourself!

ArynCrinn

Banned
This all started because you can't see beyond your own buff meta that only serves one purpose and that's a gimp build for NG for newcomers. The moment I put here a recommendation for an unbuffable weapon you went into a fury. I'm sorry your little jedi roleplay theater got butthurt, but there's other options out there.

And heck the +15 buff route puts way higher restrictions on someone's playthrough that requires setting them on a fixed path that getting a very nice weapon right at Anor Londo. You talk big about go everywhere, jump, explore but at the end of the day your recommendations are directing people strictly towards New Londo and then the Asylum.

And seriously, your badass example is a tailcut? That thing that's trivial with two players? Seriously? So have I done that, and so have many of us in this thread.

I'm done with this crap, this used to be a nice thread.

Yeah well, I wish I could use the Washing Pole for my base-SL chars. Unfortunately it requires you pump levels. A Washing Pole +15 with Gold Pine against the 4K would be fun.

2AdEPT

Faith characters are covenant based. and certain NPC's are very very important. You may want to read a couple wiki citations on the different covenants that center around faith....and similar to sorcery, all of the miracles come from interacting with NPC's, some of which are less easy to find and run into than for magic.

As mentioned by ixix, 30 faith is enough...but its your game....I have only went up to 50 once ...just to say I tried the most powerful lightning spear...but I like staying lower level to help in co-op so don't usually take it past 30...IIRC you can still one shot silver knights with great lightning spear at 30 faith (with crown and ring), so why go even more powerful? I then raise either DEX or STR, I find faith miracles to be fairly powerful, and as such focus more on the weapon than the miracles. If you were reading above, the skywalker build can thematically make use of emit force at 18 faith, which is a gimped version of Wrath of God, but it comes out at mid range and can be directed at spots, making it really useful in PVE. Its only slightly less damage than the lightning bolts, but its bonus is that it knocks lighter enemies down (which is really fun to use helping new players in the burg)....the trade off is its SLOW animation, and easy to miss getting it until halfway through the game if you don't know where it is.You will want to find the ring of the sun's first born, and dusk crown, the ring replaces the bellowing dragoncrest that is used when you do magic boost for sorcery characters...that one wont work for faith.

As for weapons, you can choose any you wish, but as mentioned by several, the Grant is a fun one to try if you go STR. I suggest two hand though, or your character will start getting pretty high in SL if you are uncomfortable leaving vitality or END low. (not a worry if you don't care about multiplayer.) You can still make a pretty viable PVP character by staying around SL120 but I rarely go there as I enjoy helping lower level players more than PVP.

Another faith specific weapon is the Darkmoon bow, which is a boss soul ascension only weapon. Moonlight arrows are best with this bow, but you will pay for them in souls at 500 a piece. You basically need to decide if you are going to keep a certain boss/NPC alive or kill said boss/NPC...either way, you will get an excellent weapon buff. Basically, you can go Darkmoon and invade, or go sun bro and help hosts (and get the bow by using the soul of the killed boss/NPC. ) Sunbro is a must at some point early inthe game as you will want to get the lightning bolts. I believe Darkmoon is the most powerful buff, but not by much over sunlight blade, or crystal magic weapon. These aforementioned buffs are faith dependent, but 30 is enough to get a good boost. I would suggest using buffs instead of making most of your weapons divine or occult; even if your faith buffs are more powerful, because sometimes it is better to switch to using resin for enemies that are weak to fire (Orn) or lighting (Manus), as opposed to magic. Never hurts to have one divine weapon maxed for the catacombs though ( I usually just downgrade the occult club, or use astora sword if still low level when going to the combs.)

As for shields, its simply your choice, its hard to go with anything but the grass crest shield just because END regen is important for any character, and since i like to two hand,the shield is irrelevant if not for the stat boosts it gives. Other stat boost shields are the blood shield which increases bleed resist, and the sanctus which gives a miniscule health regen. Along with the ring of the evil eye, It can help with power within or chaos blade drains. A consideration is that if you like to spam your lightning bolts and miracles, you will not be using your shield anyway depending if you put your talisman in off hand or not...off hand is the only way to buff weapons...but you can change around based on what you are doing at the time.

Choose your talisman wisely, as they are all slightly different...ironically the one you can get at firelink is good enough for 30 faith for the whole game. If you do decide to boost faith higher you can get more adjust with a talisman that gives bonus for higher faith.

There are a host of other unique miracles for helping in coo-op but ironically I never use them...its just not my thing to enhance healing potential when estus and humanity is preferred regardless, this was a gaff of the developers IMO. There are a couple other cool miracles that actually work, like karmic justice (awesome you tube of a parabomber build out there somewhere) albeit complex to understand. You may wish to look them up and figure out the situations in the game where they might be useful...but I haven't done them all and can't comment much past the skywalker build...which is what I play when doing faith and dex. Logans or cleric set, thief hood or no hood, katana or BSS, darkmoon or sunlight buff (Darkmoon is blue and more authentic, but depends what you want to do with the key boss for this stuff.)

geez that took longer than I realized...faith is a pretty complex build and you can take it several different ways, so again, this is one situation where if you already did your initial playthrough, a wiki may be selectively consulted.

Dresden

get sum faith

upgrade ur claymore +15

buff dat claymore

toss lightning spears

wog all day

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
get sum faith

upgrade ur claymore +15

buff dat claymore

toss lightning spears

wog all day

Coincidentally, this is what I did with my first character (lvl60) in Dark Souls. I found the Sunlight Blade buff easier to get, then a maxed up Darkmoon blade.

154C01670D429FE6663D554936B30D7E2822FCBE

Divius

Thanks for all the replies guys. Just saved Rhea, bought wrath of the gods, and got the Grant, but not enough STR yet so I will keeping working at it. I'll look into buffing my claymore as well.

valouris

Grrrrr stuck on the boss of Anor Londo...

And to say the rest of the area went by quite swimmingly. I reached the second bonfire on my second try
(I got past those archers on my first try, now I am seeing online what a problem it is for many players)
, but for the life of me, I cannot get past the boss :( I even tried summoning another player and we lost. Easily.

Soulhouf

And to say the rest of the area went by quite swimmingly. I reached the second bonfire on my second try
(I got past those archers on my first try, now I am seeing online what a problem it is for many players)
, but for the life of me, I cannot get past the boss :( I even tried summoning another player and we lost. Easily.

I will never say it enough but if you have 16 str, +10 Eagle Shield is a life saver in that fight.
You can solo the boss without trouble.

valouris

I will never say it enough but if you have 16 str, +10 Eagle Shield is a life saver in that fight.
You can solo the boss without trouble.

I can only get it to +5 now I'm in Anor Londo. Will give it a try though. So far I've been using the Glass Crest shield, its stamina recovery has proven very useful.

Soulhouf

I can only get it to +5 now I'm in Anor Londo. Will give it a try though. So far I've been using the Glass Crest shield, its stamina recovery has proven very useful.

In that fight you need to block efficiently for a guaranteed victory (there is always a risk of screwing up when you time your roll wrong), that's why I recommend the Eagle Shield.
If you can't upgrade it to +10, you can use the Silver Knight Shield+5 which is pretty good for blocking and has a high lightning reduction. Why not upgrade the Eagle Shield to +10? Andre is only few minutes away from Anor Londo if you use the shortcuts.

Hobobloke

Keep at it bud, you'll get there. This is one of the hardest boss fights in the game so it's natural to stump you at first, making good use of the pillars can help a lot if you're not doing that already.

valouris

In that fight you need to block efficiently for a guaranteed victory (there is always a risk of screwing up when you time your roll wrong), that's why I recommend the Eagle Shield.
If you can't upgrade it to +10, you can use the Silver Knight Shield+5 which is pretty good for blocking and has a high lightning reduction. Why not upgrade the Eagle Shield to +10? Andre is only few minutes away from Anor Londo if you use the shortcuts.

Didn't know I can actually leave Anor Londo at this point. Don't know if I want to though, now that I'm here :p

This is the hardest part of the game to solo, IMO. You will feel like the king of the world when you get it done. Good luck! I always found homing soul mass to be useful.

Neolith

Summon Solaire and kill ornstein first

Altazor

Summon Solaire and kill ornstein first

curiously enough on my first try, I managed to kill Smough before Solaire took care of Ornstein. Sadly, O one-shot killed me with his fucking spear.

Tears of rage.

Anyway, my n00bish advice for the O & S fight: KEEP MOVING, the pillars are your friends. Smough is easier to deal with (you can pretty much tell EVERYTHING he's going to do a second before he actually does it - rolls are essential here) and if you kill him first, be careful with Mega!Ornstein's spear.

valouris

Waaaaah I started to go back to upgrade my shield, unfortunately died in Sen's Fortress after taking the shortcut from the giant scythe things that pushed me down. When I revived however in Anor Londo's bonfire Solaire was gone!! I am scared.

blahness

Waaaaah I started to go back to upgrade my shield, unfortunately died in Sen's Fortress after taking the shortcut from the giant scythe things that pushed me down. When I revived however in Anor Londo's bonfire Solaire was gone!! I am scared.

He disappears from the bonfire and should be available to summon near the O & S door over by where the archer is in that room.

I think I'm finally broken, I just can't get past the 4 Kings.
I've finally had enough of this utter bastard of a game :-(

Don't give up. learn their patterns and get a fast weapon that hit's hard. It's when this game breaks you and you feel it's impossible that you have those breakthrough moments and feel invincible.

ecosse_011172

Don't give up. learn their patterns and get a fast weapon that hit's hard. It's when this game breaks you and you feel it's impossible that you have those breakthrough moments and feel invincible.

Thanks but I just can't be bothered, it's an amazing game but far, far too long and too brutal for me :-(
I'm no longer enjoying it just desperately trying to finish it.
Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow but I doubt it.

Thanks but I just can't be bothered, it's an amazing game but far, far too long and too brutal for me :-(
I'm no longer enjoying it just desperately trying to finish it.
Maybe I'll feel better tomorrow but I doubt it.

yeah I can understand that. Hopefully you give it a go and have a breakthrough when you aren't so frustrated.

I think I'm finally broken, I just can't get past the 4 Kings.
I've finally had enough of this utter bastard of a game :-(
We've all had those moments on our first playthrough, go past the pain! What gear are you using? Usually you can turn the tables around in a battle by rethinking your gear or strategy.

For the 4 Kings, an easy method is pyromancy. Fully upgraded pyro flame + dusk crown + bellowing dragon ring + power within and blast them with combustion and great combustion. You will probably not run out of spell uses before they die.

Cast Power Within when you land in the Abyss, run upto the first one and blast with GC, heal when needed and as it dies you can still cause damage as it fades, this is useful you can get another hit or two in (same for Pinwheel and Gwyndolyn). You can tank them too and just slash away with a weapon, but if you want an easy option this is it. Slap on the stone armour set (except for the helmet) and either use grass crest shield for the stamina regen (which isn't that important tanking with pyro) or crest shield/dark hand for a high magic resist. shield. Only thing you really need to watch out for is the grab, but just heal afterwards, if they do a magic attack, that's what the crest shield is for.

Don't give up, you'll feel like a badass motherfucker when you kill these bastards!

neoemonk

I just did the Four Kings fight tonight for the first time. Yeah they are assholes. I died a bunch of times (like always). I was able to win when they only did that AOE attack two or three times. One down, three to go :)

Something weird happened earlier. I was around the Undead Parish with my new Level 10 build. I dropped my white soapstone hoping to get summoned. A few seconds after I dropped it I got a message on screen that I was invading as a Dark Spirit.

Got dropped in to someones game and right before I reached them they entered the Gargoyle fog gate. I don't know how or why this happened. Anybody else experience this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom