• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShinNL

So I've been playing the game as a first timer for a while. Level 90. What's the best place to get good PvP fights as a Blade of the Darkmoon on the PC version? I like that covenant because you're kind of like a good-guy invader (not invading those who just play the game peacefully). So far I've gotten the most action in the forest hunter place and 80% of the people there bow (like me) before fighting. Sometimes there are multiple invasions and I just stand and watch. Are there more, or better spots than these? I basically use the Blue Eye Orb every minute or so while having the game alt-tabbed until there is a different screen. On average I'd say 1 duel every 10-15 minutes. I've heard Oolacile (sp?) is good but I've never been there. Is it a better place for duels?

Soulhouf

So I've been playing the game as a first timer for a while. Level 90. What's the best place to get good PvP fights as a Blade of the Darkmoon on the PC version? I like that covenant because you're kind of like a good-guy invader (not invading those who just play the game peacefully). So far I've gotten the most action in the forest hunter place and 80% of the people there bow (like me) before fighting. Sometimes there are multiple invasions and I just stand and watch. Are there more, or better spots than these? I basically use the Blue Eye Orb every minute or so while having the game alt-tabbed until there is a different screen. On average I'd say 1 duel every 10-15 minutes. I've heard Oolacile (sp?) is good but I've never been there. Is it a better place for duels?

On consoles the best place for duels is Undead Burg in the rectangular place near the first bonfire. I usually invade/be invaded instantly there by people who want to do PvP.
The other places are random because you'll often come across people who are ganking or trying to clear the level instead of fair duels. The most crowded ones are the forest and Oolacile Township but I don't recommend going there if you're looking for duels.

krakov

Blue orb is by far the worst tool for invasions. If you want to duel the covenant really shouldn't matter that much. Put down a red sign or use the red stone instead. Being a darkmoon sounds cool in theory but I'd say rather than being good guys they are the worst of the bunch.

Forest covenant will also match you up with guys ready to rumble.

ShinNL

Blue orb is by far the worst tool for invasions. If you want to duel the covenant really shouldn't matter that much. Put down a red sign or use the red stone instead. Being a darkmoon sounds cool in theory but I'd say rather than being good guys they are the worst of the bunch.

Forest covenant will also match you up with guys ready to rumble.
Wow, googled the red sign, that thing sounds awesome :O Haven't been in the painted world yet though :<

I don't wanna lose my rank on Darkmoon as it increases my darkmoon blade buff. If I get the red sign, can I use it with any covenant?

BTW, one thing I don't understand about Undead Burg's PvP spot, don't you have to not have killed the first boss in order to get invaded / invade?

Ruuppa

Wow, googled the red sign, that thing sounds awesome :O Haven't been in the painted world yet though :<

I don't wanna lose my rank on Darkmoon as it increases my darkmoon blade buff. If I get the red sign, can I use it with any covenant?

BTW, one thing I don't understand about Undead Burg's PvP spot, don't you have to not have killed the first boss in order to get invaded / invade?

If you want to see duel-signs, you must have the boss of the area alive. You can still put your own sign down and other people will see it. And no, you don't need to change your covenant to use the Red Sign Soapstone. Burg is popular because the boss is easy to skip and is optional in every way.

Painted World is a pretty good place for Blue Orb invasions, I had a really good time invading on my SL57 toon the other day. Sometimes the wait was pretty long though.. Probably the best spot there is on top of the main tower, where you find the RSS.

Raxious

Got all the Pyromancy spells from Laurentius, and all the spells from Griggs. Also bought the two rings he sells. Then I went and brough my Prymancy Flame to +10 :D

2AdEPT

Just started this game, ready to die.

I enjoy helping new players at low levels...I am also around the rest of today looking for coo-op opportunities...I dont explore for you, and only wreck stuff if you ask:

AdEPTErik on gfwl, adepterik2 on steam and PSN (but am not on PSN often)

The only thing about watching new playthrough videos, (I just watched the jeff Green one for 2hrs) is that I want so bad to tell him, "just go left the bonfire is right there!" but I cant. If you hire me as a bodyguard at least I can message you with the obvious, if not the complex spoilers.

BTW its Christmas eve here in Vancouver and I just wanted to say Happy Holidays to all in this thread....Merry Xmas to all and to all a good knight!

Ruuppa

Helping newcomers is generous and all, but it feels like it would be detracting from their proper 'Souls' experience, ya know?

There is that "No spoilers But advice" -pic somewhere..

Ah, these two:
DarkSouls-Co-opguide.jpg

jmDTPpH.jpg

Spent Christmas doing PVP. Could be worse, but it managed to renew my hatred of Sorcerers.

How on earth a mage can kill Manus on N+? that dude cant give you an opening for casting outside instant cast spell than can be blocked by simply rolling for your life

Ruuppa

How on earth a mage can kill Manus on N+? that dude cant give you an opening for casting outside instant cast spell than can be blocked by simply rolling for your life

Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring, Dusk's Crown(or not, if it's his spells that kill you), Crest Shield, Crystal Soul Spear/Dark Bead, Homing Crystal Soulmass/Pursuers. Cast only after he has finished one of his reaching attacks or his combo. Counter his spells with the Silver Pendant if they're slow, or by blocking/rolling if they're fast.

2AdEPT

Helping newcomers is generous and all, but it feels like it would be detracting from their proper 'Souls' experience, ya know?

There is a very lengthy discussion about this before I help anyone. Last guy I played with was a 16 year old who refused to go into tough areas as they were too "scary." I mainly hung back and let him do the exploring. This kind of service is best reserved for those that would not play otherwise, were there no help....but these types of players exist. If someone has to pause to come here to ask questions, it is a lot more efficient to have someone in game to ask isn't it? The guy above was ready to quit as I could see him drift off into other games while he was "stuck" in Dukes lost. Obviously he made it far enough on his own that he could do ok but he was ready to quit from the frustration. He could have made it out on his own but it was serving as a chore for him rather than fun. I did help him loot the level and showed him that tthere was a chest on top of the library case. we were about ot leave for teh crystal caves but he said ...lets giv it a shot? Why not we were ready to move on to the caves anyway? So i turned the handle and he did his thing and I did mine....as luck would have it he hit the top shelf while I plundered to my death. His confidence grew tremendously, and he couldnt quit even afer we got Seath and his tail. He asked ot do catacombs as well ...but in Europe wghere he was it was well past bed time for a 16 year old we just dropped down to pinwheel and took a look at the black knight after hiring leroy.

I find on one hand, having a "bodyguard" along with could make someone brazen and go all false bravado...which they do sometimes and it pays off. They start two handing, take off armour to roll better, and lose their shield faster. Others dont want to go overboard on the killing themselves as it takes time to re-summon, but these players also learn to go cautiously one at a time knowing I am only there as a back-up and they dont want to screw up to look silly. It also speeds the pace of the learning in most cases I find.

I am an educator in my "real" life, and am aware of the experience factor in Souls, been going strong for me since launch of Demon's in 2009. We will never get the true virgin souls experience again, but believe me I do know how to groom as much of that experience for the players that request help. They are in good hands if they ask for help....mostly it wont be given to them unless I sense they wont play otherwise. The most I have helped with any one player is two or three bosses/levels.

Sioen

Thanks for the christmas wishes same to you. I am on xbl so I can't play with you.
And those tips are really good thanks!
Happy holidays.

MrDaravon

So I was doing really good in not having to look up any FAQs when I got stuck, but after spending like an hour running in circles in the Painted World I finally had to break down and look at one. Turns out that I missed
the stupid lever in the basement
. Fuuuuuuuu

mrbagdt

Quick question- do summoning stones only go to players in the same play through as you? I am 73 and have all the lord souls. I'm kinda wondering where to go before finishing the play through. Is the replay ability for you guys in the pvp and ng+ more than co op?

Quick question- do summoning stones only go to players in the same play through as you? I am 73 and have all the lord souls. I'm kinda wondering where to go before finishing the play through. Is the replay ability for you guys in the pvp and ng+ more than co op?

The multiplayer match making only takes into consideration the level of the participants. I'm in NG, I've been summoned into someone else's NG+ a few times.

You can be summoned to any playthrought as long as you meet the level requirement of the host which is kinda 10 levels down or above the host.

Sioen

Played a bit and damn this game has some good combat, learning to parry and dodge is pretty fun. Haven't gotten too far yet since it was Christmas but the game is really fun to me right now.

mrbagdt

hung around outside nito farming humanity last night and dropped my summoning stone there to see if i could help anyone with the boss. when i faced him (took me several tries) i stayed human to see if i could summon anyone and it was always empty there. over a hour of farming humanity and getting summoned, i think i helped 4 people finish the boss. pretty fun! i cant think of many other situations where i could hang around farming stuff and leave my summoning stone at a location where people would think to look and summon me at. any suggestions? i was thinking about seath and killing clams, but those take maybe 5 minutes to clear and then to reset you have to leave where your summoning marker was at.

this experience also makes me wonder- has the community died down online at all for those of you that have played since the beginning? i wonder if i would have gotten summoned more often 6 months after the release?

It's still pretty active on PS3, I was on the other day getting summoned but in early areas as I just started a new character. TotG is one of those areas that people don't like to hang around in, so it can be difficult to find summons there - I run into a lot of Japanese players for bosses like Nito and 4 Kings, maybe they have more balls, j/k ;)

The last time I hung out in TotG was my last faith build farming white chunks from the centipede skellies that pop up around the serpent ring, one WotG, homeward rinse and repeat - one time I got 4 chunks in one drop! (from the 5 or 6 skellies that are there, that's pretty good drop rate!)

You could use the Dukes bonfire to get summoned whilst you farmed a Chaneller's Trident if you wanted one. Anor Londo is always busy but not much farming to be done other than souls. Sen's Fortress is summon-heavy, slap it at the boss door and farm shards from the balder knights and the black knight, but the run back from the bonfire cuts your sign off. Maybe the best one is Blighttown farming shards from the slugs. Or Depths for humanity, red chunks in Lost Izalith, moss clumps in the forest.

Soulhouf

It's still pretty active on PS3, I was on the other day getting summoned but in early areas as I just started a new character. TotG is one of those areas that people don't like to hang around in, so it can be difficult to find summons there - I run into a lot of Japanese players for bosses like Nito and 4 Kings, maybe they have more balls, j/k ;)

Yeah, they love Nito and 4 Kings. 99% of my summoners in New Londo are always Japanese people. Sometimes they do crazy things like NG+8 SL1. The last time the guy told me he lost count of which NG+ he was in but it was more than 20 lol.

[...] slap it at the boss door and farm shards from the balder knights and the black knight, [...].

He is not a Black Knight but a Berenike Knight :p

mrbagdt

Yeah, they love Nito and 4 Kings. 99% of my summoners in New Londo are always Japanese people. Sometimes they do crazy things like NG+8 SL1. The last time the guy told me he lost count of which NG+ he was in but it was more than 20 lol.

one of the guys i helped yesterday with nito had no shirt on and just carried a scythe. ok!

I have no interest in PvP, and I'm frankly sick of invasions. The only time I engage in it is as a summon interrupted on the way to a boss.

I've discovered that Oolacile Township is pretty much a PvP duel arena. Despite that, I placed my summon sign in hopes of fighting Manus.

My host and I were next to the bonfire, and a black phantom invaded. I bowed, then moved aside so the host and invader could duel. Instead, my host put on a ring of fog, and went to hide. I just stood aside, and the invader ran past to the lift down to the lower level.

My host then summoned a Sun Bro. Our group went over near the lift, and the Sun Bro went down alone. I thought he'll either get ambushed or have a duel down there. Sun Bro comes back up immediately. He and the host climb aboard the lift. I'm shaking my head IRL and saying "not a good idea guys don't go down there" but they are waiting for me to go down. I board the lift, and as we descend, I try to peer downward at the landing... if the black phantom is there I figure I'll do a plunge attack.

But the lift descends more rapidly than I anticipate. We hit the bottom... at the same moment the black phantom uses Wrath of the Gods, knocking all three of us into the pit.

GG

Tawpgun

I fucked up and used Anastasia's firekeeper soul for my estus flask....

RIP firelink bonfire.

This game is so complex with the decisions you can make. They don't really give you any direction.

mrbagdt

I have no interest in PvP, and I'm frankly sick of invasions. The only time I engage in it is as a summon interrupted on the way to a boss.

I've discovered that Oolacile Township is pretty much a PvP duel arena. Despite that, I placed my summon sign in hopes of fighting Manus.

My host and I were next to the bonfire, and a black phantom invaded. I bowed, then moved aside so the host and invader could duel. Instead, my host put on a ring of fog, and went to hide. I just stood aside, and the invader ran past to the lift down to the lower level.

My host then summoned a Sun Bro. Our group went over near the lift, and the Sun Bro went down alone. I thought he'll either get ambushed or have a duel down there. Sun Bro comes back up immediately. He and the host climb aboard the lift. I'm shaking my head IRL and saying "not a good idea guys don't go down there" but they are waiting for me to go down. I board the lift, and as we descend, I try to peer downward at the landing... if the black phantom is there I figure I'll do a plunge attack.

But the lift descends more rapidly than I anticipate. We hit the bottom... at the same moment the black phantom uses Wrath of the Gods, knocking all three of us into the pit.

GG

you had to laugh when that was over with, right?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah that sounds like fun times all round to me. Funny moment, play on.

Toxi

Banned
I fucked up and used Anastasia's firekeeper soul for my estus flask....

RIP firelink bonfire.

This game is so complex with the decisions you can make. They don't really give you any direction.
If you're looking for the shortest way to the Four Kings without the Firelink Bonfire,
after you activate the Seal in New Londo you can use the Valley of the Drakes bonfire and entrance.

MrDaravon

I've been trying to kill the guy to get the Firelink bonfire back for like an hour. I JUST WANT THE GODDAMN BONFIRE BACK FOR FUCK'S SAKE GAME

mrbagdt

I've been trying to kill the guy to get the Firelink bonfire back for like an hour. I JUST WANT THE GODDAMN BONFIRE BACK FOR FUCK'S SAKE GAME
i messed around with that for a long, long time. i wound up doing the iron skin thing and two handed a big weapon at the top of some stairs. if you do that method, the only thing that will really damage you is the spells. a frustrating encounter for me!

Lead them up the stairs to get them in single file, take them out one by one, or just Lautrec, there's no need to kill all three. Lautrec is pretty easy to parry too if you're okay at that.

Or just fire off a couple of poison arrows and wait it out!

Dresden

Perfect time to practice your parry timing. Also the guy fatrolls, so just turn and run if things go south for you.

That guy is nothing without his lackeys. I'd even say the mage is the only reason it's difficult at all. Usually you can just run at the mage, circle around him while he's casting, get a backstab, sprint away, then repeat the process until the mage is dead. The other guy is slow, so all you have to do is run and Goldy will separate himself. His attacks aren't too hard to parry, but he also rolls almost every time, so you can just hit him as he gets up and then run away and keep doing that until he dies. There's some luck involved depending on the NPC behavior, but sometimes it's really easy.

Glix

I'm back after months. To beg for more help

I just beat big and little. I went to the Firelink and used the lordvessel.

I tried to then go to Anor Londo, and in the new area there was some metal boar that two shotted me.

I am wearing Havels armor and have a black knight sword +5. Is my gear shitty? Am I shitty? Where should I be going and what should I be doing?

Please help, I don't want to give up on this game, especially after beating those two cheap assholes.

MrDaravon

Perfect time to practice your parry timing. Also the guy fatrolls, so just turn and run if things go south for you.

What's weird is that I usually parry almost everything, but I can't seem to parry Goldy for whatever reason. Think I'm getting too distracted by worrying about the other guys. I did what I do whenever I get stuck and bailed to do something else in the world, so I'll come back to this later.

Sullichin

I'm back after months. To beg for more help

I just beat big and little. I went to the Firelink and used the lordvessel.

I tried to then go to Anor Londo, and in the new area there was some metal boar that two shotted me.

I am wearing Havels armor and have a black knight sword +5. Is my gear shitty? Am I shitty? Where should I be going and what should I be doing?

Please help, I don't want to give up on this game, especially after beating those two cheap assholes.

Your gear isn't shitty. Those guys just do a shit ton of damage. I find it much easier to fast roll and dodge backwards when they charge, rather than trying to block it.

You can go that way, or Demon Ruins or Catacombs, or New Londo if you haven't done that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom