• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilkBeard

Well fuck, that wasn't how I thought it worked. Good to know now at least.

Making decent progress; killed Havel, the hydra, the gold (?) golem, and Sif. Currently mucking around in Sen's Fortress. I went back
to the Aslyum and looted it and killed all the knights, but I have zero fucking clue how you're supposed to kill that boss. I couldn't even tell what it was doing, with every swing there was an explosion or something, and regardless of how far away it was or if I blocked or whatever it was totally destroying me.
Actually starting to whilttle down the areas/enemies I have left, or at least the ones I know about I suppose.

Oh also I discovered the joys of the >25% roll. I was only worrying about keeping under 50%, but now that I found that I can never go back, especially once I realized armor is in large part useless unless you're going with a heavy build or something. Especially in my case since I do a lot of parrys and backstabs. Rolling with whatever the ninja outfit is called with an Iaito+10 and the Crest Shield and fucking shit up pretty good now.

I would say that shields are more important than armor at this point... depending on what you have, you can get shields that block certain elements, or for example the artorias greatshield that can stop Smough and Artorias themselves dead in their tracks. (except for elemental attacks like Super Smough's lightning..but then, get a lightning ring and you're set).
I usually strike the balance of medium roll with decent armor and a good shield. You can get through the game fine with a good shield and medium roll. That's probably why I'm interested in the Artorias set, it's not the best defense but it's good enough, and is light enough to get fast roll at a higher level.

Perhaps that's what I'm going to do if I do another clean run...go fast roll with light armor and a good shield.

Tawpgun

Rang second bell. Decided to do some exploring before going into wherever that gate that opened was.

Valley of Drakes, almost got wrecked by that first "trap" and tried fighting a regular drake and he knocked me off the level just by turning around and pushing me with his hitbox :/

I suppose I'll try darkroot. The catacombs fucked me up still.

Almost hit my breaking point tonight. I was cursed from falling into a nest of basilisks in the Great Hollow last night and the trip through Blighttown that didn't cause too much trouble on the way down is way more challenging at half hp. I had gotten used to ignoring the poison as I ran around in the swamp, but while cursed, every mob scared me into topping off first. After a couple failures (a fire spider camping one of the ladders I needed to climb being my favorite), I emerged from the sewers only to find that my Firelink bonfire no longer worked. Bad times. Anyway, purged that shit ASAP.

Being cursed sucks, but I have never gotten such a hefty dose of Everquest nostalgia. It seriously felt like a dungeon corpse run in 1999. In the good and bad ways. I was afraid for a bit that I might just be soft locked in Blighttown. It's a really dangerous mechanic to have in your game.

Well, with all that shit out of the way, I leveled the Mace up to +10 and then wailed on the Stray Demon. To the guy last page who was struggling with him: I opted not to lock on so I could have more mobility. If you use sprint, you can always stay behind him and get a swing in between each attack. Make sure you give him some space when the explosions happen cuz the AoE hits a bit behind him also, just past his tail.

I suppose it's time for Sen's Fortress? I'd like to go get Havel and that other hydra, but don't know what Darkroot is good for otherwise. Will I need to pass through there soon?

MilkBeard

Almost hit my breaking point tonight. I was cursed from falling into a nest of basilisks in the Great Hollow last night and the trip through Blighttown that didn't cause too much trouble on the way down is way more challenging at half hp. I had gotten used to ignoring the poison as I ran around in the swamp, but while cursed, every mob scared me into topping off first. After a couple failures (a fire spider camping one of the ladders I needed to climb being my favorite), I emerged from the sewers only to find that my Firelink bonfire no longer worked. Bad times. Anyway, purged that shit ASAP.

Being cursed sucks, but I have never gotten such a hefty dose of Everquest nostalgia. It seriously felt like a dungeon corpse run in 1999. In the good and bad ways. I was afraid for a bit that I might just be soft locked in Blighttown. It's a really dangerous mechanic to have in your game.

Well, with all that shit out of the way, I leveled the Mace up to +10 and then wailed on the Stray Demon. To the guy last page who was struggling with him: I opted not to lock on so I could have more mobility. If you use sprint, you can always stay behind him and get a swing in between each attack. Make sure you give him some space when the explosions happen cuz the AoE hits a bit behind him also, just past his tail.

I suppose it's time for Sen's Fortress? I'd like to go get Havel and that other hydra, but don't know what Darkroot is good for otherwise. Will I need to pass through there soon?

you may not like Demon's Souls because they make you run around most of the game with half or 75% health. Then again, you are just used to that fact in Demon's and play accordingly.

BTW, there is a shortcut that is easily gotten once you get to the bottom of Blighttown. I guess it can be easy to miss if you are afraid of venturing into unknown areas.

Deimo5

Great Grey Wolf Sif is in Darkroot, who is a mandatory boss since he drops a ring which is necessary to wear when fighting the Four Kings. If you buy the Crest of Artorias from the blacksmith in the Undead Parish it will give you a shortcut to him and the Forest Hunter covenant.

you may not like Demon's Souls because they make you run around most of the game with half or 75% health. Then again, you are just used to that fact in Demon's and play accordingly.

Yeah when I got cursed it made me think, just like old times, ha.

BTW, there is a shortcut that is easily gotten once you get to the bottom of Blighttown. I guess it can be easy to miss if you are afraid of venturing into unknown areas.

I actually beat Demon's Souls (and adored it) last week before trying Dark again. Curse reminded me of soul form, for sure, but the Cling Ring made things way more manageable.

Please do share the shortcut. I want to have everything open, especially since I'll probably be looking to try Ash Lake again a little later.

Littleg

Neo Member
Haven't been able to play for the last few days - been stuck in bed ill, just in time for Christmas...

Anyways, looking online instead of playing, I've seen multiple people describe Gaping Dragon as the easiest boss, which is kind of making me realise how rubbish I am at the game. Doh!

I think maybe I need to think a bit harder about my equipment as right now I have a bit of a mish-mash of decent armour and lightweight stuff. I think I'm mid-30s soul level and I'm playing on 360 (which someone was asking the other day). Eh, right now I'm collapsing in bed at 8pm so it's not like I'll be playing anytime soon.

MilkBeard

I actually beat Demon's Souls (and adored it) last week before trying Dark again. Curse reminded me of soul form, for sure, but the Cling Ring made things way more manageable.

Please do share the shortcut. I want to have everything open, especially since I'll probably be looking to try Ash Lake again a little later.

When you're at the bonfire in the bottom of blighttown, take a right along the wall just outside until you reach a giant waterwheel or whatever it is...you can ride it all the way up and back down. Make sure to explore as you go up because there is an important key...

MilkBeard

Yeah cling ring helps, and also it seems like when you level up vitality it gives a bigger boost to health, or at least it seems to, so that kind of negates the difference a little bit.

EDIT: Oops, didn't realize I was answering the same quote twice, ha ha.

Haven't been able to play for the last few days - been stuck in bed ill, just in time for Christmas...

Anyways, looking online instead of playing, I've seen multiple people describe Gaping Dragon as the easiest boss, which is kind of making me realise how rubbish I am at the game. Doh!

I think maybe I need to think a bit harder about my equipment as right now I have a bit of a mish-mash of decent armour and lightweight stuff. I think I'm mid-30s soul level and I'm playing on 360 (which someone was asking the other day). Eh, right now I'm collapsing in bed at 8pm so it's not like I'll be playing anytime soon.
Your weapon is more important than armour, you might be having a bad time with Gaping Dragon because you're not doing enough damage. Plus people saying it's easy are probably vets and could do it with their eyes closed - everyone was a new player once!

Did you get the large ember from the chest near the butcher? If you haven't already take it back to Andre to ascend your weapon to +6, then if you have the upgrade box you can upgrade it all the way to +10 yourself at a bonfire - The slimes right outside the bonfire room in the Depths drop large titanite shards (and green ones too), so I'd farm them a little until you have enough to +10 your weapon, it will make way more difference than any switching around with armours and it will come in very handy for the next area too :)

Phew, I just went back to the game after a four months break, that was really complicated. I was close to the end I guess?
Tomb of Giants for the last of the four souls for the Lordvessel

I just defeated Nito and I have everything. Now I need advice for the achievement hunter
whore
that I am. What to do? In what order? How to get ready for the best NG+ experience?

Ruuppa

Phew, I just went back to the game after a four months break, that was really complicated. I was close to the end I guess?
Tomb of Giants for the last of the four souls for the Lordvessel

I just defeated Nito and I have everything. Now I need advice for the achievement hunter
whore
that I am. What to do? In what order? How to get ready for the best NG+ experience?

Kindle important bonfires to the maximum, sin all you want, do a round of joining all the Covenants and getting their relevant items/spells, buy the special gear from Domhnall(especially Smough/Ornstein armor, aim for the other in NG+), fight the optional bosses, make all the boss weapons, and most important of all:

Kill all the NPCs to get their stuff when you're done.

And then feel bad for all of NG+ :(

Pkeod

Neo Member
Got my platinum trophy for Demon's Souls yesterday, now it's time to start Dark Souls :D

I still don't have platinum in Demon's Souls/Dark Souls, but am adamant about getting it in both before DkS2 comes out. In DS missing Friend's Ring, but will get it next time I play probably. DkS missing all spells/miracles. Glad I didn't rush to complete everything right away so that I'd still have something to work toward up until DkS2 is released.

Tawpgun

Wow. Moonlight Butterfly was EZ mode. I have more trouble with those big troll guys in Blighttown than her.

Now unsure if I want to go for sif or go to sens fortress

Beat Dark Souls last night! WHOOOO!
Roughly 50 hours at level ~72 with my Black Knight Greatsword through most of the game. I haven't played a game that long in quite some time (well, not counting time suck games like Diablo 3, Skyrim, or Borderlands).

I was CRUISIN' though this over the weekend. Beat all the bosses in the lava area (started to get a little ridiculous at how many there are in that are!), and I killed a total of THREE bosses on the first try (lava centipede, Nito, 4 Kings).

I had to learn how to parry in order to beat the final boss. Without doing that I'd always get him down to about half health and then die (or do no damage and die more often than not, haha).

So in terms of "Story":
Is this game one of those "Snake eating its tail, self-perpetuating fate" kinda stories? You kill Gwyn, get the fire, explode, and then after the credits it appears to loop back to the start. Or is the NG+ not story related?

Gazoinks

So in terms of "Story":
Is this game one of those "Snake eating its tail, self-perpetuating fate" kinda stories? You kill Gwyn, get the fire, explode, and then after the credits it appears to loop back to the start. Or is the NG+ not story related?

Sort of implied, yeah, although NG+ doesn't actually change the story at all. There is a discovery you appear to have missed that changes the view of the story significantly.

hint hint

Sort of implied, yeah, although NG+ doesn't actually change the story at all. There is a discovery you appear to have missed that changes the view of the story significantly.

hint hint

I did hear that you can do a certain secret thing:
kill the giant goddess/princess Lady that will change the area and something story related will happen.

Is that what you're referring to?

Raxious

Man, everything went great. Started of as a Pyromancer and easily took down the Asylum Demon, and after that I went straight for the first Estus upgrade. Then a little while later I ran into the first Black Knight. Was able to easily kill him thanks to backstabbing and he dropped a Black Knight Sword. After that I quickly disposed of the Taurus Demon, and farmed enough souls through the dragon at the bridge to equip the BKS. Heck, I even got the Drake Sword. Armed with the BKS I ran straight into the enemy, killing everything in my sight. Even the Gargoyles didn't stand a chance, in fact after the first hit on the tail he immediately dropped the axe.

But then it began...I thought I could run towards the Capra Demon. First try went perfect until I reached the Capra Demon himself. I entered his area only to get beaten down inmediately by Capra and his dogs. "I try again" I said to myself, but the moment the first dog in the area layed eyes on me I was screwed. I kept losing so much health in that area that by the time I reached the Capra Demon I had only 1 - 2 Estus Flasks left.

After about 15 tries I decided to do one last attempt. I ran in, somehow immediately dodged both his and a dog's attack. Then I quickly killed the first dog. Capra seemed to be stuck so I could kill the second dog as well. As I turned around Capra was standing behind me, ready to strike. I ran up the stairs only to jump down and smash my BKS into his head, taking away 1/3 of his HP. I did this two more times and saw his body disappear. I had finally defeated it.

Then I quit the game.

It's been a while since I last played Dark Souls, and fighting the Capra Demon again reminds why I found this game so frustrating most of the times. Doesn't take away the fact that I'll be getting that platinum trophy though ;)

Toxi

Banned
Wow. Moonlight Butterfly was EZ mode. I have more trouble with those big troll guys in Blighttown than her.

Now unsure if I want to go for sif or go to sens fortress
I'd say go for Sif either before or right after you reach the end of Sen's Fortress; he seems to be balanced for before you go to Anor Londo and is easier than the boss in that area. Only issue with doing it right after you reach the end of Sen's Fortress is you have a long way back unless you know how to unlock the shortcut...

Note that you don't have to fight Sif until much later. Some people seem to have a lot of trouble with him, so don't feel like you have to keep throwing yourself at him if you don't succeed.

(I'd also recommend buying the Crest of Artorias from Andre if you want to fight Sif; the trip is much shorter that way.)

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Completed a SL1 darkwraith run today to setup a character for invasions and coop. Each person I invade I try to assess their ability and play accordingly (if they're low level or new, I try to exclusively use the dark hand, avoid backstabs, attempt parries rather than wailing on them, attempt humanity absorptions and do no humanity healing). I dropped a crystal sword for a few people, and have since been dropping a handful of resins and firebombs to everyone I invade who seems like they could use it. I'm wondering, what other bulk item could I buy and drop that would actually be worth having for a new player?

Sullichin

Completed a SL1 darkwraith run today to setup a character for invasions and coop. Each person I invade I try to assess their ability and play accordingly (if they're low level or new, I try to exclusively use the dark hand, avoid backstabs, attempt parries rather than wailing on them, attempt humanity absorptions and do no humanity healing). I dropped a crystal sword for a few people, and have since been dropping a handful of resins and firebombs to everyone I invade who seems like they could use it. I'm wondering, what other bulk item could I buy and drop that would actually be worth having for a new player?

Purging stones

Kelas

Yeah purging stones are a great idea, I had overlooked those.

I'll stock up on a bunch of shards too, they'd be super useful. The moss is easy to farm so I might leave that for people to get themselves.

Just as a kinda amusing aside: I dropped 5 or 6 charcoal resins for a dude earlier, and he proceeded to equip them and use them one after another on his weapon. Either he thought they were stackable or permanent upgrades, or he was mocking my gift :p

Toxi

Banned
Drop Indictments. ;-)

If you want to give newbies Purging Stones, the clams that drop them also drop Twinkling Titanite.

Kelas

Drop Indictments. ;-)

If you want to give newbies Purging Stones, the clams that drop them also drop Twinkling Titanite.

Damn, this is making me realise how far I need to travel by foot to do any farming like that. Not sure I'm skillful/patient enough to get the
lordvessel/warp
with this character.

Toxi

Banned
Damn, this is making me realise how far I need to travel by foot to do any farming like that. Not sure I'm skillful/patient enough to get the
lordvessel/warp
with this character.
You can beat Ornstein and Smough fairly easily with a Chaos weapon or some pyromancy with a fully-upgraded glove, since your stats don't matter. The real tricky bit is the Dukes' Archives, because there are tons of enemies, they all hit like trucks, and you have to deal with a constant rain of projectiles.

That level is the bane of SL1 runs, IMO.

Tawpgun

Thank god for summons. Not sure I could have beat sif without a friend

Few questions

I haven't touched magic at all yet. I'm level 42 and have 8 attune 9 faith 9 intel

I have soul arrow, heavy soul arrow, remedy, chaos fireball and power within. Is it worth trying to get some magic in my arsenal? I don't really have any other ranged options other than a bow I never use

and whats the best way to co-op with someone you know. Is it as simple as be in the same covenant, be in the same area, and put down summon signs?

Kelas

You can beat Ornstein and Smough fairly easily with a Chaos weapon or some pyromancy with a fully-upgraded glove, since your stats don't matter. The real tricky bit is the Dukes' Archives, because there are tons of enemies, they all hit like trucks, and you have to deal with a constant rain of projectiles.

That level is the bane of SL1 runs, IMO.

I hate the archives regardless of my soul level :p I find it so tedious.

I think I'm starting to enjoy invading a bit too much. Had a cool fist fight with a dude at the top of the black knight tower in undead burg. Just now, I ran up behind a another dude and freaked him the hell out a little further on from that tower, at the gate. Shut the gate like the horrible invader I am, chased after him while he proceeded to roll around and start aggroing the knights in the church before disconnecting. I remember the first couple of times getting invaded on the PS3, I just panicked and didn't know what to do.

MilkBeard

Yeah, kindling fires as much as you can before starting NG+ is a good idea. I didn't realize but they carry over, except you can't kindle past 10 until you get the rite of kindling again later in the game.

Toxi

Banned
Thank god for summons. Not sure I could have beat sif without a friend

Few questions

I haven't touched magic at all yet. I'm level 42 and have 8 attune 9 faith 9 intel

I have soul arrow, heavy soul arrow, remedy, chaos fireball and power within. Is it worth trying to get some magic in my arsenal? I don't really have any other ranged options other than a bow I never use

and whats the best way to co-op with someone you know. Is it as simple as be in the same covenant, be in the same area, and put down summon signs?
Still waiting to upgrade. Is it worth getting some attunement slots for magic? I dont have any yet
There are three kinds of magic: Miracles, Sorcery, and Pyromancy. Sorcery scales off your Intelligence, Miracles scale of your Faith, and Pyromancy scales off of how much the Pyromancy Flame weapon is upgraded. Note that the Pyromancies do not scale off your intelligence; the A scaling for the Pyromancy Flame only applies to its (laughable) melee attack. All three types of magic require different weapons to cast: Sorceries require Catalysts, Miracles require Talismans, and Pyromancies only have the Pyromancy Flame.

I recommend not upgrading your Intelligence or Faith; both of them take a lot of stat investment, and by level 42 you're starting to hit serious escalation for level requirements. Instead, upgrade your attunement so you have spell slots, equip some Pyromancy, and then start pumping souls into upgrading your Pyromancy Flame by talking to a Pyromancy teacher. If you don't have a Flame, talk to Laurentius at Firelink Shrine after you freed him from a barrel in the Depths. You need 10 Attunement for 1 slot and 12 for 2, so that's only 2 to 4 levels if you just want to dabble in magic.

Magic isn't necessary, but it is handy and I'd suggest at least getting 1 or 2 slots for Pyromancy so that you can have some new attack options.

Power Within is an awesome Pyromancy for any melee player because it provides a ton of extra damage at the cost of a little health loss. Great Chaos Fireball takes up two slots, but it deals huge damage with both the fireball and the lava patch it leaves. The description is wrong; it does huge damage whether you have stored Humanity or not. Some other spells you might want to try out are Great Combustion, Iron Flesh, and Fire Orb; you can buy most of these from the Pyromancer Laurentius.

2AdEPT

Still waiting to upgrade. Is it worth getting some attunement slots for magic? I dont have any yet

It's totally up to you if you wish to use the magic with this character. Of course, it is worth it, if you want to try different things and such. The cloak spell even allows you to turn into things in the environment...pretty trollin if you want to invade as a vase in Anor londo!!!

The only way leveling hurts you is if you wish to be in range of summons or multiplayer options. I do so I never take my character past 60-80 or so. My pure mage had base vitality and low endurance but had 4 attunement and 50 int. Only str was for moonlight greatsword min requirements. So the problem becomes, do I want to do damage to people with magic or just play around? Just playing around witht eh cloak spells etc you can do at 16 INT, but to hit hard you want to have the minimum for the better spells which iirc is at least 30. Fatih works this way as well, 18 gets you emit force, 20 or so gets you first level lightning bolts, and 30 gets you big bolts, it is unnecessary to go for 50 to get the really big bolts...as fun as it is to one shot silver knights with them, you have to get into NG+ to use the gwynn soul to get them (IIRC.)

The way I stay in range of multiplayer options is compromise....no one will agree with me, but I'm sorry, vitality has to stay low to keep it all together. I usually go for 30 faith and either STR or DEX, 40 dex with 30 faith is viable for assisting others with all the lordvessel bosses and even smough and orn. This is my favourite build ....get darkmoon blade buff your washing pole and slice stuff up.

So for your first character, unless you wan tot turn it into a specialty character, you can experiment raising your levels across the board, but if you start a new character, the most you can hope for and stay reasonably low, is choose either STR or DEX and either FAITH or MAGIC. Trippling up is too much and waters down your character and you will be useless to stop invaders from the coo-op people you try to help.

Tricks for keeping it low are :

who needs vitality if you don't get hit? Stay light, use buffs, roll your way to victory instead. Go to the pinwheel boss immediately after firelink by dropping down and hiring paladin Leroy to kill the skellies and pinwheel boss for you. You can raise your estus count and use firekeeper souls to heal more efficiently. Farm humanity and use as healing tool. Base vitality is enough.

endurance - pretty much need high 20's to 30. if you scrimp too far here you wont be able to roll and then swing combo's with middle weight weapons, nor tank any hits with shield in succession.

STR - unless you are hoping to go pure STR and get bonus off of it, only take as much as you need to TWO HAND the weapon. Most black knight weapons only require low 20's, washing pole even less IIRC. Even tank weapons can be held and two handed at lower than advertised STR levels. 36 pretty much lets you swing all but the heaviest weapon in the game.

Faith /magic - you want to get the cool sorcery and miracles, but there are a couple that you really want to ask yourself if you need. There is a white dragon breath sorcery that is cool indeed but required 50 INT...prolly better to go with 40 INT and double up on the spears. For faith, as mentioned above, the best lighting spears are likely not worth it...they do hit hard, but they are low in count, and you cant get hem until you kill gwynn.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
I've been working my way through the game with my second character using only fist weapons. Current have +5 Magic/Divine/Lightning and +8 Fire cestus variants that I can swap in and out depending on what I'm fighting.

Tonight I have finally overcome the brick wall. I've lost track of the number of deaths I've had at the hands of Smough and Ornstein, but tonight alone I had at least 15-20 deaths and this is I think the 5th session where I have attempted to beat this boss. Did the entire fight solo because after my first 6 attempts a week ago I ran out of humanity. I was trying to take out Smough firstand I'd say 80% of my attempts were cut short by Ornstein charges from off screen while trying to reposition so I could see both bosses.

Compared to the first stage, Super Ornstein really wasn't all that bad. It was just getting to that point which was the major hurdle.

Sitting at SL52 20Vit/Str/Dex, 35End. Next up is the Hydra and then heading into the DLC. I'm not looking forward to Sanctuary Guardian, but I want Ciaran's armour for this character. Can't wait to try Artorias!

MilkBeard

I've been working my way through the game with my second character using only fist weapons. Current have +5 Magic/Divine/Lightning and +8 Fire cestus variants that I can swap in and out depending on what I'm fighting.

Tonight I have finally overcome the brick wall. I've lost track of the number of deaths I've had at the hands of Smough and Ornstein, but tonight alone I had at least 15-20 deaths and this is I think the 5th session where I have attempted to beat this boss. Did the entire fight solo because after my first 6 attempts a week ago I ran out of humanity. I was trying to take out Smough firstand I'd say 80% of my attempts were cut short by Ornstein charges from off screen while trying to reposition so I could see both bosses.

Compared to the first stage, Super Ornstein really wasn't all that bad. It was just getting to that point which was the major hurdle.

Sitting at SL52 20Vit/Str/Dex, 35End. Next up is the Hydra and then heading into the DLC. I'm not looking forward to Sanctuary Guardian, but I want Ciaran's armour for this character. Can't wait to try Artorias!

Damn, fighting O&S with only fists...that must be a tough battle. And yeah, I can imagine that would be hell if you ended up with Super Smough. The attack window is big enough for longer weapons and magic, but it would be hell with fists. Super Ornstein would be much easier, you just stay up really close underneath him.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Avoiding Super Smough wasn't really planned that way. I fought him on my first character and just powered right through him on my first attempt with some assistance from Solaire as a distraction during the first stage. I went after Super Ornstein for this character because I hadn't fought him before and because I might get some use out of part of his armour. Didn't even consider that he might be easier than Super Smough for this build.

Having to rely on parry and dodge rolling for damage avoidance is a big change from my first character who spent most of the game with a Black Knight Shield that dropped from the Black Knight in Undead Burg.

I've added Power Within to my arsenal which helped take down Smough quickly and limiting the amount of time Ornstein had to blindside me during the initial stage of the fight. I'm still debating whether I want to allow myself the use of a Dark Hand. The shielding would be very useful and technically it's still a "fist weapon" I suppose even if it's not really in the spirit of the run.

takriel

For those of you enjoying watching others play Dark Souls: Which are your favorite runs? I started watching Kay's run and now I want to watch more people play the game! haha

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The two above are very entertaining, with complete opposite playstyles. Jeff's last stream was incredible.

I'd love to hear more recommendations for first time streamers. I watched most of the Kyle run on yt. This was pretty fun to watch, but it obviously wasn't a blind run like he claimed (made obvious by the Ceaseless fight).

Littleg

Neo Member
Your weapon is more important than armour, you might be having a bad time with Gaping Dragon because you're not doing enough damage. Plus people saying it's easy are probably vets and could do it with their eyes closed - everyone was a new player once!

Did you get the large ember from the chest near the butcher? If you haven't already take it back to Andre to ascend your weapon to +6, then if you have the upgrade box you can upgrade it all the way to +10 yourself at a bonfire - The slimes right outside the bonfire room in the Depths drop large titanite shards (and green ones too), so I'd farm them a little until you have enough to +10 your weapon, it will make way more difference than any switching around with armours and it will come in very handy for the next area too :)

Cool, thanks for the tips! And you're right, I'm hitting him and not getting caught out by his patterns, but I'm barely doing any damage.

I'm currently using the Drake Sword but had read that that tops out early on damage so hadn't invested in upgrading it. Should I get that to +10, or should I go and collect another weapon like the Black Knight Sword and focus on that?

Divius

Anyone know why my Dark Souls sometimes take minutes (!) to start? It'll just hang at the 'Preparing to launch' steam window.

And then sometimes it launches instantly, and I have idea what causes it.

Cool, thanks for the tips! And you're right, I'm hitting him and not getting caught out by his patterns, but I'm barely doing any damage.

I'm currently using the Drake Sword but had read that that tops out early on damage so hadn't invested in upgrading it. Should I get that to +10, or should I go and collect another weapon like the Black Knight Sword and focus on that?
Drake Sword and Black Knight weapons are both unique kinds of weapons and only go up to +5 (but that +5 for the BK weapons is comparable with regular weapons asended all the way to +15). Drake uses Dragon Scales to upgrade which are hard to come by early on and BK weapons use Twinkling Titanite, also not loads of it going around early on.

I just recently did a Drake Sword run to see for myself if all the "No! Don't dare use it!" hyperbole (that I am guilty of myself) was true. And honestly when upgraded fully (I farmed in Valley of the Drakes and took an early trip to later areas for scales) it compared less horribly with other weapons than I thought it would - but I was parrying everything and getting that critical hit bonus damage, I still wouldn't recommended it, but it can get you to Anor Londo if you are upgrading it.

Long story short: BK weapons are better of the two, but don't discount regular weapons too, there's loads of different kinds for all kinds of playstyles. When you find them, have a play with them and see if you like them.

aravuus

Just downloaded the aggression mod

Fought the first 6 zombies at the top of the first stairs in firelink shrine, and the fat npc that had followed me that I accidentally aggroed.

This is going to be absolutely amazing

aravuus

Just downloaded the aggression mod

Fought the first 6 zombies at the top of the first stairs in firelink shrine, and the fat npc that had followed me that I accidentally aggroed.

This is going to be absolutely amazing

Oh my god, not even the bonfires are safe

e: double oh my god, i went and opened the door to havel the rock - now he followed me and i have to defeat him to progress in the game... seeing how easily he one-hits me, this is not going to be easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom