• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

Finally beat gaping dragon. Went back to Blacksmith Andrei to cash in the souls.

Got some general questions regarding upgrading. Is it better to upgrade a basic weapon like the longsword or wait until you get some cooler and better weapons.

And what does upgrading to raw mean.

Finally beat gaping dragon. Went back to Blacksmith Andrei to cash in the souls.

Got some general questions regarding upgrading. Is it better to upgrade a basic weapon like the longsword or wait until you get some cooler and better weapons.

And what does upgrading to raw mean.
Upgrade what you have. You can use the longsword all the way through the game, if you want. It's really all about the weapon with the move set that you like.

Raw upgrade gives the weapon a basic physical damage bonus and reduces its scaling with stats. It's much better to upgrade to an elemental weapon like fire or lighting if you want damage bonus without stat scaling.

Tawpgun

I've been told not to upgrade to raw though. I have a longsword +7 now.

Is armor worth upgrading also? I have the hard leather set

I've been told not to upgrade to raw though. I have a longsword +7 now.

Is armor worth upgrading also? I have the hard leather set
Upgrading to +5 on basic armors is very cheap and always helpful. Past +5 is relativrly expensive tho and is less worth it,whenbit comes to armor (as opposed to weapons which are always very worth upgrading)

Need some help, guys. I'm fighting the hydra in Ash Lake and it seems like the worst designed enemy possible. The ranged attack one-shots me (I got cursed when I fell in the Great Hollow, btw D=) and the melee attack will occasionally break my guard, but usually I can block and then get a swing or two in. Problem is I can never hit the fucker. While his heads are stuck in the sand, they move around like it's liquid and my mace can't catch up. I try to get in as close as possible to trigger the attack I want, but the best I've done so far is hacked one head. Am I missing something? I got through Blighttown without a single death and was getting kinda cocky, but this fight is messed up.

sixghost

Need some help, guys. I'm fighting the hydra in Ash Lake and it seems like the worst designed enemy possible. The ranged attack one-shots me (I got cursed when I fell in the Great Hollow, btw D=) and the melee attack will occasionally break my guard, but usually I can block and then get a swing or two in. Problem is I can never hit the fucker. While his heads are stuck in the sand, they move around like it's liquid and my mace can't catch up. I try to get in as close as possible to trigger the attack I want, but the best I've done so far is hacked one head. Am I missing something? I got through Blighttown without a single death and was getting kinda cocky, but this fight is messed up.

If you can't eat the hydra's magic attack and live, you're probably not powerful enough to fight the hydra. The magic attacks are really, really hard to dodge because of the big AoE.

I finally got him. I think I might be a little out of my league in Ash Lake at the moment, but as long as you're pressed up against the tide and force the hydra to bite, it has a really hard time killing you. I am still a little irate over the hit boxes on it; you really have to smack the head between the eyes to get any results. The neck is too unreliable.

I bought the hardcover guide years ago and have been using it to determine which order to approach things, but F those guys for suggesting hitting Great Hollow after Quelaag. I know there's some kind of fast travel eventually, but I don't have it and am gonna have to hoof it back to Firelink.

Gazoinks

I bought the hardcover guide years ago and have been using it to determine which order to approach things, but F those guys for suggesting hitting Great Hollow after Quelaag. I know there's some kind of fast travel eventually, but I don't have it and am gonna have to hoof it back to Firelink.

That hardcover guide is untrustworthy! Going to Ash Lake after Blighttown is not really a good idea, yeah. It's well hidden for a reason. :p

MilkBeard

If you can't eat the hydra's magic attack and live, you're probably not powerful enough to fight the hydra. The magic attacks are really, really hard to dodge because of the big AoE.

EDIT: NVM, I thought he was talking about the Hydra in Darkroot Basin.

Anyway, I've yet to go down into Ash Lake. I've been meaning to but never got around to it.

Mistel

Banned
I'm stuck at the bit with the iron tusk I can't get past it or kill it. Should I change to lighter equipment instead of elite knight armor?

Seanspeed

Banned
I stumbled upon a really great let's play of Dark Souls (because there aren't enough of those out there). It's someone who's playing blind and does an amazing job of figuring things out on her own. It's pretty gratifying to watch her go through that process of discovery.
One of the more convincing 'blind' Let's Plays I've seen.

Still, after seeing some pretty blatant examples of people who damn well knew what they were doing and were faking the 'discoveries', I think this girl seems pretty smart in knowing how to act it out. The initial area and all, definitely had be convinced. But then afterwards, she inexplicably would camera pan to where certain things were that a newcomer really wouldn't know. Lots of other little things.

"I'm not the greatest at uh.....moving the character around with the controller."

And then acting like she would have to get used to using twin sticks to move/look as if she had never done it before or something.

And just generally how well she learns. She was taking out the skeletons in the graveyard quite competently. She then went to New Londo, cleared the general area and did what was needed. Without any mutterings of "Oh god, is this really the way I'm supposed to go?" after an encounter with the ghosts(which she was doing ok with), she leaves these places and takes the stairs up to Undead Burg last. Knowing where to find nearly all the secrets(some I didn't even find) there. Doesn't show us the Taurus boss fight.

I don't know. I'm sure many people will think I'm just being overly cynical/suspicious, but I *really* do like to give people the benefit of the doubt ordinarily. But too many alarm bells were going off as I watched.

I'm stuck at the bit with the iron tusk I can't get past it or kill it. Should I change to lighter equipment instead of elite knight armor?
You don't have to kill it. There is a way to get by it. Run up the stairs to the right first(after killing the first couple enemies), try and draw the rest of the normal enemies in the area and kill them up there, and then you can drop down right where you need to go behind the boar.

Your armor is fine, even though switching to lighter armor is something a lot of people like to do regardless.

You don't have to kill it. There is a way to get by it. Run up the stairs to the right first(after killing the first couple enemies), try and draw the rest of the normal enemies in the area and kill them up there, and then you can drop down right where you need to go behind the boar.

Your armor is fine, even though switching to lighter armor is something a lot of people like to do regardless.

Or he could use the alluring skulls that you can pick up right there. Throw one or two in fire and the stupid pig will kill itself at best and leave itself open to a plunging attack at worst.

Alternatively if you just make it charge at you then back out of range towards the bonfire till it gives up and turns around and walks off you can then run up and backstab it. One or 2 of those and it's dead. That backstab animation is awesome btw.

Arjen

Still, after seeing some pretty blatant examples of people who damn well knew what they were doing and were faking the 'discoveries', I think this girl seems pretty smart in knowing how to act it out. The initial area and all, definitely had be convinced. But then afterwards, she inexplicably would camera pan to where certain things were that a newcomer really wouldn't know. Lots of other little things.

"I'm not the greatest at uh.....moving the character around with the controller."

And then acting like she would have to get used to using twin sticks to move/look as if she had never done it before or something.

And just generally how well she learns. She was taking out the skeletons in the graveyard quite competently. She then went to New Londo, cleared the general area and did what was needed. Without any mutterings of "Oh god, is this really the way I'm supposed to go?" after an encounter with the ghosts(which she was doing ok with), she leaves these places and takes the stairs up to Undead Burg last. Knowing where to find nearly all the secrets(some I didn't even find) there. Doesn't show us the Taurus boss fight.

I don't know. I'm sure many people will think I'm just being overly cynical/suspicious, but I *really* do like to give people the benefit of the doubt ordinarily. But too many alarm bells were going off as I watched.

I het where you're coming from, but she doesn't do backstabs at all, that's usually my tell when somebody played the game before. Also she showed practicing parry timing, I think I'd have a hard time parrying wrong if you know what I mean.

Kaleinc

Banned

That's probably the case. At least I'm not buying this is her first time playing.

Ruuppa

So I heard that wearing any part of the Thorns armorset has the ability to negate some backstabs, at least in the case where you get caught in the BS during a roll. How true is this?

Mistel

Banned
Or he could use the alluring skulls that you can pick up right there. Throw one or two in fire and the stupid pig will kill itself at best and leave itself open to a plunging attack at worst.

Alternatively if you just make it charge at you then back out of range towards the bonfire till it gives up and turns around and walks off you can then run up and backstab it. One or 2 of those and it's dead. That backstab animation is awesome btw.

There's a bonfire near there? I'll find those alluring skulls then and try soon GTA online is annoying me.

krakov

So I heard that wearing any part of the Thorns armorset has the ability to negate some backstabs, at least in the case where you get caught in the BS during a roll. How true is this?

It will occasionally cancel backstabs but it's not reliable. If you hit the opponent just before the backstab it will sometimes do no damage, this can be done with thorn armor or any weapon that hits in a wide arc (behind you). Better off learning how to avoid and counter backstabs.

Ruuppa

It will occasionally cancel backstabs but it's not reliable. If you hit the opponent just before the backstab it will sometimes do no damage, this can be done with thorn armor or any weapon that hits in a wide arc (behind you). Better off learning how to avoid and counter backstabs.

For sure, but a small chance to recover from a mistake is better than none. Even if it's a tad cheesy.

Cool. never heard that before - always learning. I use pieces of the Thorn set pretty often, the legs look great and I like the little hits it does when rolling, often freaks people out for a second, it can give you an advantage - not by damage but just as an animation reset or mind game/annoyance.

There's a bonfire near there? I'll find those alluring skulls then and try soon GTA online is annoying me.
They don't mean bonfire like you rest at, but there are a couple of fires in that area that damage you and enemies. A few hits in the fire from a luring skull, then a run and jump off the bridge/walkway into a plunging attack should finish it off (you should get the riding attack animation which I think is unique to the boar and the
giant rat
)

Ruuppa

Cool. never heard that before - always learning. I use pieces of the Thorn set pretty often, the legs look great and I like the little hits it does when rolling, often freaks people out for a second, it can give you an advantage - not by damage but just as an animation reset or mind game/annoyance.

Annoyance factor is really great in PVP. It can really put people off their game. One of the reasons I love using the Dragon Head Stone: Does negligible damage, but dings them from range, can break through shields and poise and is totally free of charge. And it gives me something to do when the enemy is at range, with low recovery time.

MrDaravon

Hit a bit of a wall, and I'm now confused on how I should upgrade my weapon. Currently stuck on
the spider queen in Blightown who I can get low but can't kill, the hydra in the forest that just wrecks me, and I'm still not able to kill Havel
. Trying to regroup a bit and farm a bit to get some upgrades maybe. I'm currently using an Iaito+5 with the Black Knight Shield, but I'm not sure how I should upgrade the weapon further? Looking online it seems like I can take it down multiple paths but I have no clue which one I should do, or if it even matters? I'm seeing some people here mention to now upgrade to Raw, so should I keep going on "normal" or should I do an elemental upgrade? No clue. I have a few elemental chunks, but the only one I have any shards of is I have a bunch of green titanite shards. I do have 8 Large Titanite shards so I could go a ways on the "normal" upgrade path.

Also still not finding jack for armor; trying to go something in-between the super light armors (leather, the ninja outfit, etc) and heavy and just not really finding anything. Still using the Gargoyle Helm, Balder Gauntlets, and the Crimson Robe and Waistcloth. Almost at the point where I'm going to start upgrade them because I don't seem to be finding anything else >_>

eot

Banned

Yeah, I know some people like to fake blind runs to get attention. Personally though, I doubt someone would be able to be that patient with a game they've already mastered. The Club is probably the best starting weapon for fighting the skellies because that R2 shatters them. Also, she does miss quite a few things, didn't break the planks to Lautrec, didn't find Oswald, didn't find Andre or Darkroot etc. I don't want to overanalyze it, it's impossible to know anyway. Maybe with these things you end up seeing what you're trying to see and I guess I'm not in a mood to be suspicious :p

Hit a bit of a wall, and I'm now confused on how I should upgrade my weapon. Currently stuck on
the spider queen in Blightown who I can get low but can't kill, the hydra in the forest that just wrecks me, and I'm still not able to kill Havel
. Trying to regroup a bit and farm a bit to get some upgrades maybe. I'm currently using an Iaito+5 with the Black Knight Shield, but I'm not sure how I should upgrade the weapon further? Looking online it seems like I can take it down multiple paths but I have no clue which one I should do, or if it even matters? I'm seeing some people here mention to now upgrade to Raw, so should I keep going on "normal" or should I do an elemental upgrade? No clue. I have a few elemental chunks, but the only one I have any shards of is I have a bunch of green titanite shards. I do have 8 Large Titanite shards so I could go a ways on the "normal" upgrade path.

Also still not finding jack for armor; trying to go something in-between the super light armors (leather, the ninja outfit, etc) and heavy and just not really finding anything. Still using the Gargoyle Helm, Balder Gauntlets, and the Crimson Robe and Waistcloth. Almost at the point where I'm going to start upgrade them because I don't seem to be finding anything else >_>
+5 is kind of low for Blighttown imo. I'd use those large shards to get it up to +10.

Weapon upgrades: The normal path is really the best. Raw gives a small damage increase early on, but soon (very soon) is outclassed. Elemental you don't have the option to do yet. Fire is available from the start of the game for the brave or experienced player. Magic and Divine are for sorcerers and clerics respectively, you won't see any benefit out of those unless you are leveling up intelligence or faith a lot.

When you upgrade to elemental (lightning and fire) it removes the damage scale bonus. So early on they are great because of the higher (but split) damage - and can actually carry you through the game, but if you're levelling up strength or dex, you won't see any returns on your leveling. Plus if you go to an area where the enemies are fire-resistant, your badass fire weapon is gonna suck!

When you find a weapon you like (any is viable to see you through the whole game) look at what stats it scales with on the weapon details page - those are the stats you want to level up to increase the damage output bonus of the weapon.

Armour - you find a lot of it in the game, mix and match. A piece of heavy armour will give you defense and poise, some of the lighter stuff will give you poison or curse resistance for example - mix and match = best of both worlds. Upgrading armour is something you want to do when you're flush with souls or upgrade materials, always use your souls/materials on your weapon first it is far more worthwhile.

This morning, I loaded up Dark Souls, and after a few moments I received a message 'Gravelord defeated, the disaster is over.'

I'm perplexed. I never saw a gravelord phantom and I certainly didn't find a gravelord symbol and defeat a player.

eot

Banned
Multiple people get gravelorded at once, only one of them has to defeat the person who did it. The phantoms don't show up until NG+ btw, but for some reason you still get pseudo-gravelorded on NG.

krakov

This morning, I loaded up Dark Souls, and after a few moments I received a message 'Gravelord defeated, the disaster is over.'

I'm perplexed. I never saw a gravelord phantom and I certainly didn't find a gravelord symbol and defeat a player.

Just means someone gravelording died, you can get this message even in areas with no enemies. I guess it might mean you were one of the affected but I've seen it a lot without seeing bp enemies around.

That said, recently I've been gravelorded in a bunch of areas. Too bad being a gravelord is completely pointless, being affected is the interesting part.

MrDaravon

+5 is kind of low for Blighttown imo. I'd use those large shards to get it up to +10.

Weapon upgrades: The normal path is really the best. Raw gives a small damage increase early on, but soon (very soon) is outclassed. Elemental you don't have the option to do yet. Fire is available from the start of the game for the brave or experienced player. Magic and Divine are for sorcerers and clerics respectively, you won't see any benefit out of those unless you are leveling up intelligence or faith a lot.

When you upgrade to elemental (lightning and fire) it removes the damage scale bonus. So early on they are great because of the higher (but split) damage - and can actually carry you through the game, but if you're levelling up strength or dex, you won't see any returns on your leveling. Plus if you go to an area where the enemies are fire-resistant, your badass fire weapon is gonna suck!

When you find a weapon you like (any is viable to see you through the whole game) look at what stats it scales with on the weapon details page - those are the stats you want to level up to increase the damage output bonus of the weapon.

Armour - you find a lot of it in the game, mix and match. A piece of heavy armour will give you defense and poise, some of the lighter stuff will give you poison or curse resistance for example - mix and match = best of both worlds. Upgrading armour is something you want to do when you're flush with souls or upgrade materials, always use your souls/materials on your weapon first it is far more worthwhile.

Thanks for the advice! I'm liking the Iaito so I'm probably going to stick with that for the foreseeable future, so I'll level that up. I was already putting points into Dex since I was using a Scimitar+5 up until I found the Iaito so I'm good there. Thanks for clarifying the elemental weapon stuff. Depending on what my endurance is at I'll have to see if I can maybe stick on a piece or two of more defensive armor as well. I've just been sticking everything I wasn't using in the bottomless box.

Regarding armor though; I know if you're loud it's harder/impossible to backstab some enemies, but is that based on your equipment load, or is heavier armor "louder"? Like watching Jeff's stream I noticed he couldn't sneak up on the thief-like enemies with the bandit knives in the parish, was that because of his equip load or was it because heavier armor is louder?

Metal armour is louder than cloth/leather. Metal is usually heavier, so yeah heavier is usually louder.

If you are walking at the slowest speed (lightly pushing the left stick) you can still backstab enemies without them noticing you even in the heaviest armour, but if you walk at normal speed or run they will notice you a lot sooner in louder armour. It's a pretty cool and sometimes overlooked mechanic in the game. With headphones on you can really hear the difference in armour sound. The chainmail is noisy as hell!

MrDaravon

Metal armour is louder than cloth/leather. Metal is usually heavier, so yeah heavier is usually louder.

If you are walking at the slowest speed (lightly pushing the left stick) you can still backstab enemies without them noticing you even in the heaviest armour, but if you walk at normal speed or run they will notice you a lot sooner in louder armour. It's a pretty cool and sometimes overlooked mechanic in the game. With headphones on you can really hear the difference in armour sound. The chainmail is noisy as hell!

Yeah, I'm playing with headphones and noticed that, but wasn't sure if it was strictly a weight thing, or the sound of the actual armor itself (although there's obviously a correlation in most cases there). In other news I beat the boss at Blightown on my second try calling in a NPC (no human players were available) so I'm pretty happy about that actually. Going back to the blacksmith now to level up the Iaito.

Dekanach

GAF, i finally done it.

funny-Frodo-face-Lord-of-the-Rings.jpg

Congrats! I done it this week, too :)

dks_plat_trophy.jpg

Yeah, I'm playing with headphones and noticed that, but wasn't sure if it was strictly a weight thing, or the sound of the actual armor itself (although there's obviously a correlation in most cases there). In other news I beat the boss at Blightown on my second try calling in a NPC (no human players were available) so I'm pretty happy about that actually. Going back to the blacksmith now to level up the Iaito.
Did you ring the bell before leaving Quelaag's lair? If not do so before heading back to the Blacksmith :)

MrDaravon

Did you ring the bell before leaving Quelaag's lair? If not do so before heading back to the Blacksmith :)

Yes I did. Also went just past that and lit that bonfire, then got that gear set from the altar and got wrecked by whatever that thing was. THEN I went back to the blacksmith haha.

dalVlatko

Beat the final boss after finishing up the DLC yesterday. I can't believe I spent so much time playing this game. I bought it during the XBL black friday sale because I pretty much stopped playing games this year and wanted something new and ~60 hours later I'm on NG+.

I loved the game, but it loses some steam after Anor Lando and I think Undead Burg is still my favorite section in the game. The DLC bosses were really fun to fight especially after going through all of the Demon Ruins just to fight the Bed of Chaos boss lol

I was using a Lightning Halberd for most of my run and it worked amazing for everything until I hit a few bosses and got frustrated with how little damage I was doing. I caught up on watching Load our Last Souls on Giant Bomb and noticed Vinny doing almost 3x the damage with a Man Serpent Great Sword and knew I needed to switch to a non-elemental weapon.

Not sure how far I'm going to go with NG+ but I really enjoyed my first playthrough. I was thinking of leveling up my dexterity so I could use the tracers you get during the DLC and switch to light armor but I'm not sure how viable this will be for NG+ after 60 hours of heavy armor and halberds.

MrDaravon

What exactly does the Magic resistance/defense stat on shields mean? I'm currently using a Black Knight Shield, and found the Crest Shield which would reduce my Fire and Lightning (?) resistance but increase my Magic % quite a bit. Then I realized I had no idea what the Magic stat is for. Does Magic represent some sort of other elements then Fire/Lightning or what?

eot

Banned
Fire isn't magic, no.

I guess you can call Pyromancy fire magic, but in this game it's still fire. Besides, there's lots of fire that's non-magic in origin. Magic is just its own type of damage.

eot

Banned
Yes, get your weapon to +5. When you've got the first Gargoyle at about 50% just 2-hand your weapon and take him out real quick so you don't have to fight 2vs1.

So I just randomly logged in onto my sub profile (haven't played on it in MONTHS) on my PS3 and seen that I had a couple messages inviting me to play the DSII beta.

Profound rage and sadness.

haven't played in a year.. stuck at bell gargoyles.. is there a way to kill it without humanity?
Everything eot said. But if you're still having trouble you can get humanity by

a) farming the rats under the bridge
b) killing regular enemies in an area you haven't cleared the boss in, after a certain number of enemies your humanity count goes up 1 (there is a limit, I think it's something like 10) and..
c) put down your white soapstone sign to be summoned by other players. When you kill the Gargoyles in their world you get 1 humanity, a bunch of souls and free practice at killing them without fear of losing souls etc.

hom3land

Everything eot said. But if you're still having trouble you can get humanity by

a) farming the rats under the bridge
b) killing regular enemies in an area you haven't cleared the boss in, after a certain number of enemies your humanity count goes up 1 (there is a limit, I think it's something like 10) and..
c) put down your white soapstone sign to be summoned by other players. When you kill the Gargoyles in their world you get 1 humanity, a bunch of souls and free practice at killing them without fear of losing souls etc.

Thanks all for the suggestions.. never thought I'd say it but.. off to drop the soap.

2AdEPT

yeah you can find an item that helps you intelligently kill the boar without swinging at it...run up the stairs.....

Thanks all for the suggestions.. never thought I'd say it but.. off to drop the soap.

helping other players is more addicting to me than invading....2000 hours of souls and still isnt getting old.

MrDaravon

There are four types of damage in the game: physical, magical, lightning and fire. Magic is its own thing, unrelated to the others.

Well fuck, that wasn't how I thought it worked. Good to know now at least.

Making decent progress; killed Havel, the hydra, the gold (?) golem, and Sif. Currently mucking around in Sen's Fortress. I went back
to the Aslyum and looted it and killed all the knights, but I have zero fucking clue how you're supposed to kill that boss. I couldn't even tell what it was doing, with every swing there was an explosion or something, and regardless of how far away it was or if I blocked or whatever it was totally destroying me.
Actually starting to whilttle down the areas/enemies I have left, or at least the ones I know about I suppose.

Oh also I discovered the joys of the >25% roll. I was only worrying about keeping under 50%, but now that I found that I can never go back, especially once I realized armor is in large part useless unless you're going with a heavy build or something. Especially in my case since I do a lot of parrys and backstabs. Rolling with whatever the ninja outfit is called with an Iaito+10 and the Crest Shield and fucking shit up pretty good now.

2AdEPT

Well fuck, that wasn't how I thought it worked. Good to know now at least.

Making decent progress; killed Havel, the hydra, the gold (?) golem, and Sif. Currently mucking around in Sen's Fortress. I went back
to the Aslyum and looted it and killed all the knights, but I have zero fucking clue how you're supposed to kill that boss. I couldn't even tell what it was doing, with every swing there was an explosion or something, and regardless of how far away it was or if I blocked or whatever it was totally destroying me.
Actually starting to whilttle down the areas/enemies I have left, or at least the ones I know about I suppose.

Oh also I discovered the joys of the >25% roll. I was only worrying about keeping under 50%, but now that I found that I can never go back, especially once I realized armor is in large part useless unless you're going with a heavy build or something. Especially in my case since I do a lot of parrys and backstabs. Rolling with whatever the ninja outfit is called with an Iaito+10 and the Crest Shield and fucking shit up pretty good now.

You are doing better than most...most people I help and play with, mostly randoms, are decked out in heavy armour, waddle to the boss door with drake in tow. The beauty of the game is that what you described in the spoiler above is exactly that it appears..... ridiculously impossible at first...then after a bit of thinking and strategy planning, you can do that boss at SL1 and with starting gear....without losing a health bar after the inevitable fall from the start of course. ;)

One of the funniest things happened just now... I was fighting Kalameet with the host and another summon, I cut the tail off, and the host, in the middle of the fight, uses the THANK YOU skull. I nearly choked from laughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom