• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm back after months. To beg for more help

I just beat big and little. I went to the Firelink and used the lordvessel.

I tried to then go to Anor Londo, and in the new area there was some metal boar that two shotted me.

I am wearing Havels armor and have a black knight sword +5. Is my gear shitty? Am I shitty? Where should I be going and what should I be doing?

Please help, I don't want to give up on this game, especially after beating those two cheap assholes.
The boars are just the one in the Undead Parish (although I'm not sure if you can backstab these ones, remember reading you can't?) -- They don't respawn and can be poisoned, which is cheap but easy.

After placing the Lord Vessel more paths open up:

- Dukes Archives - The way you're going with the boar. Once you get into Dukes you can also complete the 'quest' to enter DLC areas.
- Demon Ruins leading to Lost Izalith (get there from where you fought Quelaag and rang the bell in Blighttown)
- Tomb of the Giants - leading from the Catacombs (leading from the skeleton graveyard at Firelink if you haven't done Catacombs yet)

The bosses of these areas along with New Londo Ruins give you the 4 Lord Souls needed to face the end boss. There are also a few secret areas you could also try out
Painted World and the Great Hollow/Ash Lake

The game really opens out once you place the Lord Vessel, so try any of those areas, there's no real right or wrong order to do them in, although there are a few conditions to be met like getting into the DLC area and
4 Kings
. Your gear is fine, BKS +5 is a maxed out weapon.

MG310

You can try sprinting past the two boars and getting up to the elevator..they can get up there but have a bit of trouble doing so. Seems like you have to get rid of them as they won't go far enough out of the room for the bonfire to light once they get inside it.

If you're on PC (or have the Prepare to Die edition on console) the DLC is included.

Sif, the wolf, drops an important item so it's worth killing him soon.

Tawpgun

If you're looking for the shortest way to the Four Kings without the Firelink Bonfire,
after you activate the Seal in New Londo you can use the Valley of the Drakes bonfire and entrance.

Guess I should go tackle the Drakes... Got fucked up by them last time.

I've been trying to kill the guy to get the Firelink bonfire back for like an hour. I JUST WANT THE GODDAMN BONFIRE BACK FOR FUCK'S SAKE GAME

I kinda kept running around taking potshots when I got them in a single file. Did this for a bit and got Laurtec far enough from the other 2. Backstabbed him, 2 handed my sword and heavy-wailed on him for the kill

I'm back after months. To beg for more help

I just beat big and little. I went to the Firelink and used the lordvessel.

I tried to then go to Anor Londo, and in the new area there was some metal boar that two shotted me.

I am wearing Havels armor and have a black knight sword +5. Is my gear shitty? Am I shitty? Where should I be going and what should I be doing?

Please help, I don't want to give up on this game, especially after beating those two cheap assholes.

Just got past that part. I ran past both of them and got onto the elevator, but didnt go up. THis caused them to de-aggro. Then I equiped ligntning spear, and lured them one by one into the elevator room. Theres some columns you can hide behind and two hand thrust them to death while they cant hit you

Ruuppa

Guess I should go tackle the Drakes... Got fucked up by them last time.

Yeah, that's a horrible route. The best route is to go from Firelink, and after the first two ghosts jump down into the previously-flooded area. This lands you 3 Darkwraiths worth of distance from the boss. The spot to jump down from is to the right of the stairs that go up from the two ghosts.

mrbagdt

You can still warp there so it's not really a problem.

that was sorta what i thought too. id rather warp and walk than try to fight through all the drakes every time. maybe you can run past them? to be honest, i have not tried fighting those dragons since i got good gear (i originally tried fighting them right after killing the first prowling demon) so maybe you can kill them easily. i dont really know.

one thing i learned doing the londo ruins over and over- when you step off the elevator, step on the switch again so it goes back up. saves you a little time not having to wait if you die and head down there again.

MrDaravon

Cheesed the Lautrec fight by just Poison Arrowing him from the entry point. Videogames!

Also fuck the Bed of Chaos, have already died to this bitch more than every other boss now.

GRIP

that was sorta what i thought too. id rather warp and walk than try to fight through all the drakes every time. maybe you can run past them? to be honest, i have not tried fighting those dragons since i got good gear (i originally tried fighting them right after killing the first prowling demon) so maybe you can kill them easily. i dont really know.

one thing i learned doing the londo ruins over and over- when you step off the elevator, step on the switch again so it goes back up. saves you a little time not having to wait if you die and head down there again.

You can but it's still a little tricky considering there are 5 of them between you and the entrance for New Londo. Even if you get past them you still have 5-6 darkwraiths to run past as well.You're better off just doing what you're doing and warping to Firelink Shrine and going down from there.

Has anyone ever figured out the 'overlay' of the DLC areas with Darkroot?

I'm thinking the Grave of Artorias is Oolacile Sanctuary, and the home of the mushroom people the first part of the Royal Wood.

Sullichin

Has anyone ever figured out the 'overlay' of the DLC areas with Darkroot?

I'm thinking the Grave of Artorias is Oolacile Sanctuary, and the home of the mushroom people the first part of the Royal Wood.

tumblr_mgkwx3PMB01reegn2o1_1280.png

Tawpgun

I fucked up in getting a titanite chunk because I thought you drop items in the actual crows nest, not the one off to the side...

So now I'm doing forest hunter PvP hoping to get some rubbish. This is my first real PvP. I invaded once and got wrecked and had someone invade me and I killed them.

PvP is lots of fun I just wish the fights were more fair, seems like the worlds I invade have a friendly phantom.

Any tips for PvP?

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Invaded a guy, dropped him some resins, green blossoms, piece of armour, then dropped a Sack. Intended to have a little fight, but he just put the sack on and ran around a bit. I didn't have the heart to kill him, so I separated out of there :( Pity there aren't more novelty things like the sack to drop for people.

Sullichin

I fucked up in getting a titanite chunk because I thought you drop items in the actual crows nest, not the one off to the side...

So now I'm doing forest hunter PvP hoping to get some rubbish. This is my first real PvP. I invaded once and got wrecked and had someone invade me and I killed them.

PvP is lots of fun I just wish the fights were more fair, seems like the worlds I invade have a friendly phantom.

Any tips for PvP?

Invading in the forest is asking to get ganked by a host and 2 sunbros.

If you want more "fair" PVP, try hosting in the burg or ooacile. Can't really get ganked if you host.

Tawpgun

Invading in the forest is asking to get ganked by a host and 2 sunbros.

If you want more "fair" PVP, try hosting in the burg or ooacile. Can't really get ganked if you host.

Dont have the DLC.

How does one host? I thought I couldnt pvp in the burg since the boss was defeated

Dont have the DLC.

How does one host? I thought I couldnt pvp in the burg since the boss was defeated
Yeah invasions end when you kill the area boss. You could put down your red soapstone, but you could still be summoned by gankers (far, far less likely than somewhere like the forest).

You could make another character and leave as many areas as possible open for PvP - the Burg is as popular as ever, the Taurus Demon is completely optional. Gaping Dragon (Depths) is optional, dark Anor Londo always gets action too.

MrDaravon

Ugh, finally hit a frustration wall with the game, need to take a break for the day. All of my (known) available options are not going well.

-Fuck the Bed of Chaos. Also it's ridiculous/annoying that the Titanite Demon respawns on that bridge. You just run past him anyway, but come the fuck on.

-Fuck the Four Kings. Got nothing on this, probably mainly just need to Kindle a bonfire multiple times to get more than 10 Estus Flasks, the fight is just more annoying than anything. Also supremely annoyed that as far as I can tell the "quickest" way to get back there is to take the elevator down from Firelink? I'm more than open to suggestions if there is a faster way I'm missing.

-Got to Nito, fuck that. Readily apparent that I probably need a Divine weapon I'm guessing? I've been rocking the Iaito forever, any suggestions on a Divine weapon to get/make?

Sullichin

Ugh, finally hit a frustration wall with the game, need to take a break for the day. All of my (known) available options are not going well.

-Fuck the Bed of Chaos. Also it's ridiculous/annoying that the Titanite Demon respawns on that bridge. You just run past him anyway, but come the fuck on.

-Fuck the Four Kings. Got nothing on this, probably mainly just need to Kindle a bonfire multiple times to get more than 10 Estus Flasks, the fight is just more annoying than anything. Also supremely annoyed that as far as I can tell the "quickest" way to get back there is to take the elevator down from Firelink? I'm more than open to suggestions if there is a faster way I'm missing.

-Got to Nito, fuck that. Readily apparent that I probably need a Divine weapon I'm guessing? I've been rocking the Iaito forever, any suggestions on a Divine weapon to get/make?

- Bed of Chaos sucks, no doubt about it. It's faster to use the second bonfire in Izalith, because you don't have to deal with the titanite demon. The bonfire is behind a hidden wall in the huge lava room.

- More estus will help for sure in 4K. It's possible to just tank that fight with heavy armor and just wail on them. Another strategy is to go in with fastroll, get really close to them. Dodge a swing, attack, repeat. The crest shield or dark hand will help with the magic attacks.

- You don't need a divine weapon for Nito. Stay near the front of the area so you don't aggro the big skeletons. Focus on Nito. He'll keep killing the small skeletons. If you want a divine weapon, you can downgrade the occult club from anor londo into a divine club. Works great against the skeletons.

Kelas

Also supremely annoyed that as far as I can tell the "quickest" way to get back there is to take the elevator down from Firelink? I'm more than open to suggestions if there is a faster way I'm missing.

Are you already taking the shortcut by
dropping down near the first couple of ghosts? You still start at Firelink, and it's still an annoying journey with a few enemies, but quicker than going the long way around.

Ruuppa

There are a couple of cheesy strategies to deal with Bed of Chaos, and I recommend looking them up. That boss is horrible, and the devs agree.

Four Kings are easier to fight solo than with a helper, unless you manage to wrangle a player phantom from somewhere. Pack Pyromancy or a Fire weapon, since they're weak to fire. The trick is to get them fast and furious, before they gang up on you, Power Within will help there.

The "best" Divine weapons are probably Strike -class weapons, since all the undead that resurrect have low Strike resistance. Rock Nito's helpers with that, and take care of the big guy with whatever you want, Pyromancy and fire works for him as well.

MrDaravon

- Bed of Chaos sucks, no doubt about it. It's faster to use the second bonfire in Izalith, because you don't have to deal with the titanite demon. The bonfire is behind a hidden wall in the huge lava room.

- More estus will help for sure in 4K. It's possible to just tank that fight with heavy armor and just wail on them. Another strategy is to go in with fastroll, get really close to them. Dodge a swing, attack, repeat. The crest shield or dark hand will help with the magic attacks.

- You don't need a divine weapon for Nito. Stay near the front of the area so you don't aggro the big skeletons. Focus on Nito. He'll keep killing the small skeletons. If you want a divine weapon, you can downgrade the occult club from anor londo into a divine club. Works great against the skeletons.

I totally forgot about that second bonfire, I did find it and that probably is closer, I'll backtrack to that one when I go back. I only tried Nito once, what do you mean by the front of the room, like where he comes out of (making where you come in at the back)?

Are you already taking the shortcut by
dropping down near the first couple of ghosts? You still start at Firelink, and it's still an annoying journey with a few enemies, but quicker than going the long way around.

Yeah, that was actually how I first found it haha. It's JUST far enough away to be annoying.

There are a couple of cheesy strategies to deal with Bed of Chaos, and I recommend looking them up. That boss is horrible, and the devs agree.

Four Kings are easier to fight solo than with a helper, unless you manage to wrangle a player phantom from somewhere. Pack Pyromancy or a Fire weapon, since they're weak to fire. The trick is to get them fast and furious, before they gang up on you, Power Within will help there.

The "best" Divine weapons are probably Strike -class weapons, since all the undead that resurrect have low Strike resistance. Rock Nito's helpers with that, and take care of the big guy with whatever you want, Pyromancy and fire works for him as well.

I'm not using Pyromancy or have a fire weapon >_>

Ruuppa

I totally forgot about that second bonfire, I did find it and that probably is closer, I'll backtrack to that one when I go back. I only tried Nito once, what do you mean by the front of the room, like where he comes out of (making where you come in at the back)?

I'm not using Pyromancy or have a fire weapon >_>

You land in the front, just stick there if possible and you won't aggro his minions. I've always found this really hard to do while dodging his attacks though.

Quelaag's Furysword is an excellent Fire weapon, and it's comparatively easy to make and upgrade as well. At +5 and with 10 Humanity it will thoroughly wreck the Kings.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
If he's a dex build, his iaito is better than the Furysword, honestly. Assuming it's at +15 of course.
Stack poise or go full mobility, pop a green blossom and/or use the grass crest shield on your back for fast stamina regen, and wail on them. The 4 Kings fight is a DPS race so you want to get in as many uninterrupted hits as possible. If you are not too good at dodging 'em, stack poise to avoid being staggered as much as possible. And yes Power Within helps but if you didn't find it, no biggie. You can just use a green blossom instead (you can't use two buffs together anyway).

MrDaravon

Yeah I went Dex but it's a bit low. Right now my Endurance, Vit, and Dex are all at 30-33. I got my Strength up to 20 to use the Black Knight Shield and then the Dragonslayer Bow and I put a bit into Faith and Int to get access to some early stuff there, but that's it. The Iaito is +15 as well. Using the Wolf Ring and the one that increases your Stamina/End/Vit but breaks if you unequip it (the name escapes me at the moment) and going light armor for the fast roll. I think my gear is the Painting Guardian helm and legs, Dingy chest and Wanderer gloves with the Crass (?) Crest Shield primarily (since it's light and has 100% phys and very high Magic defense) but I'll switch to the Black Knight shield if I need Fire resistance. I'd use the BK shield primarily since it has stability right now if I could, but I can't fast roll with it. I can never tell if I'm doing it wrong with gearing or not in the game. Honestly Stamina management has never really been an issue for me so that's why I'm not using the shield or the ring that helps it regen faster.

Is the Power Within the spell that ups your stamina regen but drains your health? If so I'm pretty sure I have that one.

Tawpgun

I just feel in all the pvp videos or all the really good Dark Souls runs everyone has some kind of a big weapon. I feel im at a disadvantage here with a longsword and fury sword. I also dont really have magic at all.

krakov

I just feel in all the pvp videos or all the really good Dark Souls runs everyone has some kind of a big weapon. I feel im at a disadvantage here with a longsword and fury sword. I also dont really have magic at all.

Pretty much any weapon is viable though some are less so than others. Longsword has a superb move set with a variety of different attacks like the thrusting 1-hand R2 or the stepping forward 2-hand R2. If you take advantage of the scaling it does pretty good damage for it's weight and it's a great weapon to put a buff on since it's fast with low stamina cost.

You could get some pyromancy without investing heavily into stats. You really don't need magic for pvp or pve but it's good to have as many tools as possible at the ready.

Folks, I need some assistance. I am level 20. I've tried Quelaag a couple of times, and I'm not doing much damage. Currently using a level 6 uchigatana, but I also have the zweihander and a few other killing instruments. I'm not doing much damage to her... at all. In a previous playthrough, I was using the Black Knight Sword, so I went through her like butter AND I was probably nearly level 40 when facing her previously. Do I just need to continue leveling up or should I be looking for a better weapon to take her on at this point? thx ya'll. Most of my points are in strength, vit, and endurance.

16 STR, 14 DEX

Nevermind. I jsut beat her. Keep really close to her while she was swinging her flame sword and slashed her in between each of her swings. Waited until her spider spewed fire and then proceeded to wack her 4 - 5 times 2 handed. Repeated until she was dead. She hit me when I had my shield up once. EZ

When I need souls and humanity, I put my summon sign down near a boss for co-op. Lately, I've been doing so for Sif.

I don' t think my heart can take it much more.

MilkBeard

The Boars are easy to kill, especially in the hallway leading to Duke's Archive. All you have to do is stick to the thing's side, and keep circling and he will charge into the wall and you can take shots at his sides. Occasionally he will try to get you with a wide swing or you might be to close to front or back. But if you do this you can avoid getting hit. Or just run all the way until you are behind the pillar directly to the right of the elevator platform. They get stuck there and can't follow you through it. You can literally stand there and they will just get stuck.

Oh yeah: Fire.

Tawpgun

Killed 4 Kings.

Strategy of just putting on Havel set and taking the hits while unloading with the furysword worked wonders. Dude sucked out all my humanity though :(

Thinking of taking on the Catacombs next. I have a divine katana.

I reached the rooftops in Anor Londo tonight. Someone was bitching about some archers in the game a few pages back--have I found it? It sure seems that way. I'm rocking the thief's armor right now. If I put on something heavy, will it reduce the knockback I get when blocking their arrows? Right now doing so guarantees plummeting to death. On the bright side, I am getting very good at convincing the ugly pink guys to jump of the building. Hurray!

Deimo5

I reached the rooftops in Anor Londo tonight. Someone was bitching about some archers in the game a few pages back--have I found it? It sure seems that way. I'm rocking the thief's armor right now. If I put on something heavy, will it reduce the knockback I get when blocking their arrows? Right now doing so guarantees plummeting to death. On the bright side, I am getting very good at convincing the ugly pink guys to jump of the building. Hurray!

It's probably better to learn to dodge them, dragonslayer arrows punch through poise pretty easily.
I used the sound of the arrow firing to judge the roll timing when I reached the middle point between them and the left guy was off screen.

Nevermind. I jsut beat her. Keep really close to her while she was swinging her flame sword and slashed her in between each of her swings. Waited until her spider spewed fire and then proceeded to wack her 4 - 5 times 2 handed. Repeated until she was dead. She hit me when I had my shield up once. EZ
Always try and upgrade your weapon to the max you can asap. Blighttown is the perfect spot for large titanite shard farming, so that +6 Uchi could easily become +10. Slap down your summon sign inbetween runs to the bonfire and nab some souls/humanity at the same time.

Ruuppa

One of the most heart-pounding ways to do that section is to YOLOSPRINT all the way from the two giants to right next to the archer on the right side. Blocking does nothing, Poise doesn't help, sprinting like a madman works wonders! It's so satisfying when it works. If you sprint at the right time, you don't need to roll even once to avoid the arrows.

Then there's the easy, sure-fire boring way: Snipe the archers from afar with Poison Arrows. Hit them three times in a row and go grab a sandwich.

Kelas

Just managed to beat S&O with my SL1 pyromancer. Being forced to dodge almost every attack almost makes the encounter easier (as long as you pull off the dodges), although I did die a bunch of times. I summoned Solaire and let him pull Smough while I dodged Ornstein's attacks and clubbed him to death. After the intermission, Smough is pretty easy to dodge, but I got caught by his shockwave butt stomp thing a couple times. Otherwise, simply dodging right for his straight hammer attack and rolling forward, combustion-ing him and rolling back out worked really well. Just took a bit of time to take him out, but really happy I have the lordvessel now for warping!

Just found out that silver knights can backstab you. Woah.

One of the most heart-pounding ways to do that section is to YOLOSPRINT all the way from the two giants to right next to the archer on the right side. Blocking does nothing, Poise doesn't help, sprinting like a madman works wonders! It's so satisfying when it works. If you sprint at the right time, you don't need to roll even once to avoid the arrows.

Then there's the easy, sure-fire boring way: Snipe the archers from afar with Poison Arrows. Hit them three times in a row and go grab a sandwich.

Yup. Running up straight to the right one's face is the best way. He's basically going to die no matter what you do, so it's only a matter of not going down with him. Yesterday I ran up to him and literally just stood there. He drew his sword, hit me, and then fell of the ledge as he was repositioning.

Always try and upgrade your weapon to the max you can asap. Blighttown is the perfect spot for large titanite shard farming, so that +6 Uchi could easily become +10. Slap down your summon sign inbetween runs to the bonfire and nab some souls/humanity at the same time.

That's a great idea. Only problem: I haven't been summoned very often lately. I think it's because I am only SL20 and now in Anoro Lando at the second bonfire. I can occasionally get summoned in front of the cathedral to help with the gargoyles, but I never get summoned anywhere else :(. Now that I have the rusty ring, perhaps I should head to Blighttown as you suggest, put down a summon sign, and proceed to farm titanite shards.

I really hope Dark Souls 2 works better online on the PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom