• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Parry or summon.

Oh, man, they actually made Parry useful this outing? I really need to start Dark Souls. Just haven't had the time and patience to sit down and grind stones for weapons and getting through the game. :/

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
Oh, man, they actually made Parry useful this outing? I really need to start Dark Souls. Just haven't had the time and patience to sit down and grind stones for weapons and getting through the game. :/

In PvE there are way more enemies that can be parried than there were in Demon's Souls, and in PvP two-handed weapons can be parried. Parrying is on a whole 'nother level of usefulness compared to Demon's Souls.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
That's great. I never bothered with parrying. So shield/blocking has been somewhat nerfed?

Have they fixed the "perfect <stone>" drop rate? The achievement/trophies for that in Demon's Souls drove me to hunting a GAF person down that would let me hold a max weapon for a second to get those. Fuck the Pure Bladestone. FUCK IT. FUCK IT HARD.

J-Roderton

Took out the Four Kings today. They kicked my ass three times. Came back and decided to two-hand them. Took 'em out like nothing. Easy as hell to roll under their attacks.

Crystal Caves are tough, though. These invisible floors are fucking tricky. I called it a night after dying once.

Three more areas and done. So close.

tiddles

so i'm at the last boss and just cant touch him, its ridiculous. he's insanely difficult.

I beat him yesterday on my own... took a LOT of experimenting with different setups, but in the end I used an upgraded Black Knight Great Axe, the Greatshield of Artorias (high stability, good fire resistance), and the Dark Wood Grain Ring. Basically, keep blocking the whole time, and try and get him to perform his grab move... after a while, you'll learn to recognise the wind-up for this move, and be able to back off out of range (using the extra mobility from the Dark Wood ring) - there's a big window after the grab move is performed where you can hack at him with the axe. The Black Knight axe is a good combination of attack power, reach, not too slow and with the possibility to stagger him a little if you get more than one hit in. If you do get grabbed, you'll need to use an Estus, but never do this out in the open, he'll get you first - maneuver so that there is a rock pillar inbetween you and him, and you'll see his first attacks go into the pillar - this is your chance to get some health back. Finally, keep an eye on your stamina - the Greatshield will absorb most of the hits, but after a particularly long combo it's possible to run out of stamina and start taking damage.

Took me a long time to beat this guy though... I have about 80 titanite chunks from the knights you fight on the way!

tiddles

After about 150 hours of play, I've yet to be gravelorded (I've only gotten the message that the gravelord or w/e was vanquished from the world a few times), and I've never seen a vagrant either.

I saw a vagrant for the first time in the Kiln Of The First Flame on the way to the final boss... I'd seen them in the strategy guide, and thought they must be a feature that got cut at the last moment! (It dropped one humanity - woohoo...)

EasyMode

Is it possible to fuck up getting the ninja flip ring? Like, can I go after the required NPC, fail and then be boned for the rest of my playthrough?

If you mess up and die,
Shiva and the ninja will leave Blighttown. I've read that you can absolve your sins after this and give it another try, but I can't confirm personally. The surest way to get it is to attract the nearby fire-breathing bug thing and then back yourself up behind the ninja. Then you just block and let the bug guy kill him, he won't retaliate. After he's dead you kill the bug, grab the ring and deal with Shiva who will be aggro'd at this point.

elohel

If you mess up and die,
Shiva and the ninja will leave Blighttown. I've read that you can absolve your sins after this and give it another try, but I can't confirm personally. The surest way to get it is to attract the nearby fire-breathing bug thing and then back yourself up behind the ninja. Then you just block and let the bug guy kill him, he won't retaliate. After he's dead you kill the bug, grab the ring and deal with Shiva who will be aggro'd at this point.

wait why do it that way? isnt it easier to just....
kick the dude off the cliff behind the forest covenant? thats what i did and i got a flip ring, maybe a different one but......easiest to sneak behind the covenant area(by bridge, sneak around the building) then kick the ninja off the cliff, deal with the other dude, quit reload and the ring will be there

EasyMode

I am so frustrated with
O&S
, I'm hoping the
mobility
provided by that item helps with them a little.

If you're heading to Blighttown
to get that ring, you might wanna pick up the Eagle Shield and Cloranthy Ring (from the Great Hollow) if you don't have them already.
All of these items are helpful in that fight.

malfcn

LOL at me. Spent 50K souls on some Dragonslayer arrows (100) to kill Wyvern. Only needed like 20 arrows. Talk about spending way too much.

10k souls cost me 50k - heh.

Booshka

LOL at me. Spent 50K souls on some Dragonslayer arrows (100) to kill Wyvern. Only needed like 20 arrows. Talk about spending way too much.

10k souls cost me 50k - heh.

Now you can go and invade some people and try to knock them off ledges with all those spare arrows.

sleepykyo

That's great. I never bothered with parrying. So shield/blocking has been somewhat nerfed?

Have they fixed the "perfect <stone>" drop rate? The achievement/trophies for that in Demon's Souls drove me to hunting a GAF person down that would let me hold a max weapon for a second to get those. Fuck the Pure Bladestone. FUCK IT. FUCK IT HARD.

Yes. The stone needed for a max weapon is no longer a drop and instead 1 (2 in the case of large titanite slab) per game treasure.

Sullichin

Now you can go and invade some people and try to knock them off ledges with all those spare arrows.
I invaded in Sens and while I was waving at the host he hit me off the ledge with a dragonslayer arrow. How rude! I was just trying to come into your game and murder you, forcing you to do all of Sens fortress over.

Also - the other day I actually encountered a bug where my bloodstain did not hold all of my humanity/souls. I killed the host and immediately fell off a ledge in Sens (Target Destroyed popped up, then You Died). i run to my blood stain in my world, a few feet from the bonfire, and I had 0 humanity and like 1300 souls. I really had over 30 humanity and probably 40k souls. Has this ever happened to someone else?

Did this win GOTY in any outlet? :( I know there were tons of great games this year and this isn't necessarily the game for everyone... but still.

J-Roderton

Did this win GOTY in any outlet? :( I know there were tons of great games this year and this isn't necessarily the game for everyone... but still.

I noticed it was in Vinny's top ten on Giantbomb. Other than that, I don't think I saw it anywhere else. I'm sure it did, though.

As far as Ash Lake and Great Hollow go, do I really need to go down there? I'm going to be finishing up the game in the next day or so. I saw there was a Hydra, a Dragon covenant, and a good chance of getting cursed. Is that it?

Booshka

Yes. The stone needed for a max weapon is no longer a drop and instead 1 (2 in the case of large titanite slab) per game treasure.

This sounds like one of the major improvements over Demon's Souls. Having at least one Slab for every type of max reinforcement available to be picked up in the world is vastly superior to farming until your eyes bleed for a rare upgrade stone.

Jroderton said:
As far as Ash Lake and Great Hollow go, do I really need to go down there? I'm going to be finishing up the game in the next day or so. I saw there was a Hydra, a Dragon covenant, and a good chance of getting cursed. Is that it?

It is a pretty interesting and unique area that is worth exploring. There is a lot of loot in the Great Hollow, one of every Chunk, the Cloranthy ring, and nearly 10 Crystal Lizards. Ash Lake has some Dragon Scales and a Miracle to pick up. If you are about to finish the game, I would go explore this area first. You can warp out when you finish.

Sullichin

I noticed it was in Vinny's top ten on Giantbomb. Other than that, I don't think I saw it anywhere else. I'm sure it did, though.

- a ring that speeds stamina recovery that i've never found.
- crystal lizards for upgrade materials
- death from falling

This sounds like one of the major improvements over Demon's Souls. Having at least one Slab for every type of max reinforcement available to be picked up in the world is vastly superior to farming until your eyes bleed for a rare upgrade stone.

It is a pretty interesting and unique area that is worth exploring. There is a lot of loot in the Great Hollow, one of every Chunk, the Cloranthy ring, and nearly 10 Crystal Lizards. Ash Lake has some Dragon Scales and a Miracle to pick up. If you are about to finish the game, I would go explore this area first. You can warp out when you finish.

There's about 5 crystal liz bro.

krakov

There's about 5 crystal liz bro.

There is exactly 10 actually, though they are really hard to get. Either way, it's worth it for the dragon scales which are really limited and hard to farm. Getting cursed is pretty much impossible with decent resist gear and some active humanity.

Dresden

The crystal lizards in the great hollow also have a chance to drop slabs, which is pretty amazing. I've gotten two so far from six or so trips there on several characters.

kiun

If you have been doing Siegmeyer (Onion dude)'s questline, depending on the outcome of his quest in Lost Izalith, you might need to venture down to Ash Lake for your Titanite Slab reward. (There are only 2 guaranteed Titanite Slab per game, if you don't count farming them from the Darkwraiths, and the lizards in Great Hollow).

Beats

Finally got the platinum trophy. I can't believe I missed Velka's Rapier in the three and a half playthroughs that I did. The hardest part in all those runs was probably getting through the Four Kings on NG+.

After playing for so long I think I pretty much have the entire world engraved into my head along with all the enemy placements, and notable treasures. And for whatever reason I feel like starting over again :x.

EasyMode

After playing for so long I think I pretty much have the entire world engraved into my head along with all the enemy placements, and notable treasures. And for whatever reason I feel like starting over again :x.

Soul crack will do that to you. Congrats.

Sullichin

Finally got the platinum trophy. I can't believe I missed Velka's Rapier in the three and a half playthroughs that I did. The hardest part in all those runs was probably getting through the Four Kings on NG+.

Congrats! I'm missing:
- all miracles
- maxed chaos weapon
- maxed occult weapon
- knights honor
- u got platz trophy

Knights Honor seems like such a god damn pain. I have SEVERAL boss weapons I've yet to make. Ugh. Not sure if I'd want to make a new faith based character for the miracles, do it on my NG++, or use my lvl15 guy who already has the sunbro ones.

kiun

Congrats. I'm about to finish my first game, and I'm planning on going for ngp twice for the platinum. GOTY 2011 for me, the experience is so satisfying.

J-Roderton

I just got invaded in the Demon Ruins. Some player in spike armor and a huge sword rolled toward me. I slashed him with my Lightning Uchi and stunned the shit out of 'em. Killed the guy in like 5 hits. Feels good man- to actually be on the ass kicking side of things.

Sullichin

I just got invaded in the Demon Ruins. Some player in spike armor and a huge sword rolled toward me. I slashed him with my Lightning Uchi and stunned the shit out of 'em. Killed the guy in like 5 hits. Feels good man- to actually be on the ass kicking side of things.

I don't wanna bring down your excitement.. but there's an NPC invader in Demon's Ruins that has spiked armor. Was his name Kirk?

Beats

Congrats! I'm missing:
- all miracles
- maxed chaos weapon
- maxed occult weapon
- knights honor
- u got platz trophy

Knights Honor seems like such a god damn pain. I have SEVERAL boss weapons I've yet to make. Ugh. Not sure if I'd want to make a new faith based character for the miracles, do it on my NG++, or use my lvl15 guy who already has the sunbro ones.

I think the only difficult weapon to get for that trophy was the Moonlight Greatsword. The boss weapons just require you to grind for souls, and buy enough titanite to get to +10.

I don't think any of the other miracles besides the sunlight ones have a faith requirement to get them. So I guess if you don't want to ruin your current character's stats by dumping faith into him/her you should just continue with your level 15 guy since he has all the sunlight ones already.

Congrats! I'm missing:
- all miracles
- maxed chaos weapon
- maxed occult weapon
- knights honor
- u got platz trophy

What ended up driving me crazy was the relative inaccuracy of some of the early FAQs for Knights Honor. There were a few, and they each differed in what weapons/etc you needed for the achievement/trophy, which was incredibly frustrating. It's no fun spending time trying to farm a Ghost Blade for the achievement when you didn't eve need it. :\ But, got my 1K in that game eventually and one of my proudest 1Ks to have, to boot.

J-Roderton

I don't wanna bring down your excitement.. but there's an NPC invader in Demon's Ruins that has spiked armor. Was his name Kirk?

You know, now that you mention it, my roommate had the same type of invader and kicked his ass as well a few weeks ago. Dammit. I guess I wasn't as badass as I thought. haha.

Those damn NPC invaders.

After checking the guide it is, indeed, Kirk.

Booshka

Just saw a Gravelord Servant invasion sign, got into his world as a Blue Spirit of Vengeance. He was in the process of fighting a Red invader, so I did a running attack on the red invader, killing him, then I backstabbed the Gravelord servant for the kill. First successful gravelord defeat, I didn't even notice there were BP enemies in my world, I was just chilling at the Anor Londo bonfire in the rooms and invading, when I saw the sign on the floor. Pretty interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom