• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

.GqueB.

Banned
yes you can co-op after you've beaten the boss. I've co-opped gaping so many times lol.. level 43 should be good, maybe a little too high to get constant action.

Yea 43 is good but oddly I got summoned at like level 90 against the gaping dragon. Its the only boss in the game where Ive been able to get summoned for at almost any level. Its quite bizarre.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
A buddy of mine need something answered and my DkS knowledge is nowhere near as good as it used to be... "Black Knight Sword +5 is wrecking havoc through the game. Will it still be a good weapon in NG+?"

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yeah that's exactly what I told him, glad I didn't lie :p

How good is elemental bonuses now after the nerf anyway? Is it viable still?

Shito

Yeah, still the better choice, only a high scaling + high stat + weapon enchantment can top them.
I'm building a FAI character, and at 38 FAI my occult claymore +5 is still weaker than my fire bastard sword +10.

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
What's with the thread title? :p

It's a reference to how the patch changed the message that appears when you beat a boss from "You Defeated" to "Victory Achieved."

A tragic concession to prescriptivism, that.

Moobabe

Most people seem to be around sl60~70 their first time around . . . of course any sl can do it.

That's worrying - I can't make a dent on the boss and he practically one hits me at SL 78.

Fake edit - I summoned a couple of dudes and we destroyed him. That was insane.

Phandy

Yeah, still the better choice, only a high scaling + high stat + weapon enchantment can top them.
I'm building a FAI character, and at 38 FAI my occult claymore +5 is still weaker than my fire bastard sword +10.

Are their many weapons that have high weapon scaling and a decent magic/enchantment damage on top of that?
It seems like unless you have insane stats to go with the scaling like; 60stat + an S/A rank of scaling. Going for the default lightning or fire weapons produces much higher damage.

Shito

Are their many weapons that have high weapon scaling and a decent magic/enchantment damage on top of that?
Sorry, I badly strained one of my left arm's muscles, so I'm quite lazy typing with one hand: I was not very clear. ^^
By "weapon enchantment" I was thinking resins or enchantment spells on top of a +15 weapon. :)

Sullichin

It seems like unless you have insane stats to go with the scaling like; 60stat + an S/A rank of scaling. Going for the default lightning or fire weapons produces much higher damage.

This is unfortunately true. It's SO much easier and quicker to make a lightning/fire weapon than getting comprable damage from a maxed out weapon with scaling. I know it goes through two resistances and yada yada, but you can't deny that lightning/fire weapons are powerful in this game, and I'd definitely recommend them for the first play through so you can do massive damage and still put points into VIT and END. If you're going for a BK greataxe or something else with high base damage and a large initial requirement, scaling makes sense. Getting a longsword to do comprable damage with scaling than a lightning longsword? Not really going to happen. And yeah you can enchant it, but it's limited. Make a weapon +15 (requiring two embers), level up stats, get the enchantments that you can use for a minute. VS make a weapon +5 or +10, get tons of permanent extra damage with a fire or lightning upgrade. Much faster.

Mutombo

So I was able to kill the Taurus Demon. Yay for me. Indeed wasn't that difficult, took me two tries today.

Then spent an hour, literally, to get the Drake Sword. Maybe I was too far away, or my dex was too low for the short bow, or his health regenerated each time when I had to buy new arrows, but I have the sword.

Then comes the fucking red wyvern. Reading strategies, for this game, really don't help at all. I shoot an arrow, wait for 10 seconds for the dragon to rise, run up to where it's going to land, try to hack at it's neck and get maybe 1 or 2 hits before it DASHES FORWARD IN FLAMES which kills me in 1 shot. Or I get a few hits at his feet, which don't do any damage at all but at least I am alive, only to run to the other side where I try to repeat the same thing before I am burned alive again.

Again, I think I am saying I will stop playing. I will probably try again, waste some more hours of my life, fail some more, and really stop then.

I just don't get it, this Dark Souls game this.

EasyMode

Then comes the fucking red wyvern. Reading strategies, for this game, really don't help at all. I shoot an arrow, wait for 10 seconds for the dragon to rise, run up to where it's going to land, try to hack at it's neck and get maybe 1 or 2 hits before it DASHES FORWARD IN FLAMES which kills me in 1 shot. Or I get a few hits at his feet, which don't do any damage at all but at least I am alive, only to run to the other side where I try to repeat the same thing before I am burned alive again.

The dragon is completely optional. If you run into something that 1-shots you repeatedly, look for another route.

Dresden

Huge diminishing returns past 40 on str/dex, which makes hitting 60 a big waste of time.

The strength of 'normal' weapons is that you can enchant it, and that it's pure physical damage for the most part prior to the enchant. Elemental weapons are convenient and easy to acquire without the stat investment needed to hit peak efficiency with a normal +15 weapon.

As for occult/enchanted/etc though . . .

d00d3n

Started to play Dark Souls a couple of days ago and I get really mad at myself for avoiding the game for its perceived difficulty. The main path through the game seems extremely well balanced to me, while optional content such as black knights and accessing difficult areas early can be quite harsh. The game makes use of designed enemy encounters in a way which reminded me of Resident Evil 4 (uses environmental factors, enemy variety and restrictions, mostly proximity to save points, to create unique encounters through the game, avoids repetition). I was truly surprised by the mainstream appeal of the game, it simply does not belong in the "unappealing difficulty" category at all (where I would place Alien vs Predator, System Shock 2 among other titles).

This game got well deserved placements on many game of the year lists, and I have to agree that it is one of the best games of the year. It is not just an amazing concept that journalists enjoy writing about (Saint's Row 3, Serious Sam 3, random choice of an indie game with a story), but a balanced, fun and rewarding experience that attacks your pleasure center and makes you want to return for more.

I was truly surprised by the mainstream appeal of the game, it simply does not belong in the "unappealing difficulty" category at all (where I would place Alien vs Predator, System Shock 2 among other titles).

This is one of the real insights that comes with getting involved with this game. It's hard but it's hard from a distance - it's not just throwing 7 or 8 enemies at you, or 20 or 30 enemies for that matter, and saying, "Here, try to survive this shit" like shooters or button-mashers do, and that's what I really appreciate about it.

J-Roderton

Idk what it is, but I'm having more trouble with the areas than the actual bosses. Smoked Nito on first try.

I'm getting so close to finishing this game. Awesome to see there will be DLC now.

Also, I only need to go to +5 to branch my weapon into fire??? I had to go to +10 to make a lightning. Is it different for fire?

J-Roderton

I was the same in my first playthrough. Getting through ToG was so much harder than Nito. and still is on subsequent playthroughs.

Running past all of the pinwheel guys really helped, too. My roommate was pretty much coaching me through it since he did it a few weeks ago. Hope I didn't miss anything.

I started using two hand on my swords, basically because it looked cooler, and I think it does a little more damage than one handing them. I've been doing that with the past few bosses. Seems to be working out nicely.

O_O

I'm confused about where I should be going first. I went to New Londo Ruins but got trashed by those ghosts in the shallow water that I can't hit!

Edit: OK, I get it, just found Undead Burg.

This game is so much prettier than Demon's Souls, although I'm kind of missing how dark the 'first' game was, everything so far (which admittedly is hardly anything) has been quite bright.

J-Roderton

This game is so much prettier than Demon's Souls, although I'm kind of missing how dark the 'first' game was, everything so far (which admittedly is hardly anything) has been quite bright.

It definitely doesn't stay that way for very long. I've never played Demon's Souls, though.

Most of the locations in this game are really dark actually. The first area is one of the exceptions.

Sullichin

I wish a ton more people gravelorded/that covenant worked better. I never get black phantom enemies in my world. I just saw black phantom snake people in someone else's sen's fortress though, but they weren't even on the main path. didnt seem like you had to fight them

J-Roderton

Is it safe to say that any weapon with fire, lightning, etc, is better than any without? For example, I could upgrade bastard sword to +15, but it would still do less damage than if it had another effect? My uchi is doing two hundred something physical and two hundred something lightning. So it's still more powerful than, say, a +15 uchi? I guess the basic +15 would just do more damage with scaling and that would add some extra damage?

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
I wish a ton more people gravelorded/that covenant worked better. I never get black phantom enemies in my world. I just saw black phantom snake people in someone else's sen's fortress though, but they weren't even on the main path. didnt seem like you had to fight them

Getting Gravelord-ed is pretty much the only thing in Dark Souls I've never had happen, and not for lack of trying. Never even seen the phantoms during co-op. Should it ever happen I think I'll finally be able to consider my Dark Souls experience to be complete.

That is really shitty. I've never seen it either. I've seen the "invade if you want" floor-thing (and even that only once or twice), but never any phantoms.

Maybe if the DLC rumor is true there'll be another patch to accompany it, and hopefully this will be one of the things it addresses.

akira28

lol that a reference to a typo joke or was there really some suggestion that dark forest was a new IP?

splain it

Yah when it was found that the dark forest name was registered for a web site, over in Gaming, I think, people guessed that it would be a Dark Souls sequel, not a DLC.

Just started playing this a few days ago and wow this game is great. I started Blighttown tonight and was getting frustrated by
the snipers that were making me toxic in one hit.
But then I
found the armor that has high poison resistance.
Feels good man.

J-Roderton

Just started playing this a few days ago and wow this game is great. I started Blighttown tonight and was getting frustrated by
the snipers that were making me toxic in one hit.
But then I
found the armor that has high poison resistance.
Feels good man.

Enjoy the swamps.

Get the spider shield while you're at it. Helps reduce poison.

mxgt

Banned

I gravelord all the time on my main character, lures in a lot of people and is a lot of fun

But yes I've only been On the receiving end once which is a shame

Getting Gravelord-ed is pretty much the only thing in Dark Souls I've never had happen, and not for lack of trying. Never even seen the phantoms during co-op. Should it ever happen I think I'll finally be able to consider my Dark Souls experience to be complete.

I just got gravelorded for the first time yesterday in undead parish. I only saw a BP tower knight and BP balder knight, both not quite in their regular locations. I searched everywhere but couldn't find invasion sign.

krakov

The main problem with the Gravelord covenant is that you can't use an eye of death in an area where you've beaten the boss. This is sure to prevent anyone from doing it for any decent time since it hinders progression. Also you gain nothing, except for more eyes.

It would be a lot different if you could Gravelord any area at any given time. Maybe also gain something, since leveling up at Nito doesn't do very much.

Dresden

After about 150 hours of play, I've yet to be gravelorded (I've only gotten the message that the gravelord or w/e was vanquished from the world a few times), and I've never seen a vagrant either.

Capra is defeated finally. Stone knights are pushovers now. This game's sense of progress is remarkable. I still remember when venturing through the undead parish was a chore and intimidating to me. Now, I welcome stomping out all in my path to the next bonfire. I've still yet to brave anywhere else beyond the burg, parish and accessible darkroot areas though haha.

I still wonder just how in the hell I defeated that headless demon thing guarding the exit into the darkroot gardens at such a low level.... Well not how, but the fact that I kept trying.

njean777

Do I need to complete New Londo Ruins? I really dont want to fight these ghosts while cursed... is there anything worth it for a pyro down there?

Do I need to complete New Londo Ruins? I really dont want to fight these ghosts while cursed... is there anything worth it for a pyro down there?

It's required, but if you're having trouble you can wait as long as you want. It fits the story just fine to do it last, for instance.

Booshka

Where is a good place to farm titanite slabs? Wiki didn't have info on it.

The only place is
Drained
New Londo Ruins, from the Darkwraiths. There is a slight chance that the Crystal Lizards in Great Hollow will drop one, and there are 2 available per playthrough, one from a Boss and the other by following a NPC questline.

UFRA

You have other options than just getting cursed.

You can also buy Transient Curse items which just curse you temporarily, but without the hassle of going through the cure process for actual curses.

Or, you can use the Transient Curse to kill the ghosts until you get them to drop one of their weapons. Their weapons (Jagged Ghost Blade I think it's called?) can hurt ghosts even when you are not cursed, since the weapon itself is actually cursed. Once you get the weapon, just upgrade it so it has a good effect on the ghosts and you're all set. Curse-hassle free.

You have other options than just getting cursed.

You can also buy Transient Curse items which just curse you temporarily, but without the hassle of going through the cure process for actual curses.

Or, you can use the Transient Curse to kill the ghosts until you get them to drop one of their weapons. Their weapons (Jagged Ghost Blade I think it's called?) can hurt ghosts even when you are not cursed, since the weapon itself is actually cursed. Once you get the weapon, just upgrade it so it has a good effect on the ghosts and you're all set. Curse-hassle free.
Woo I have no idea what you're saying as I'm still hovering around undead burg/parish but that sounds awesome.

i've had it happen a few times, managed to kill the gravelord twice iirc., but i've never actually noticed "disasters" or whatever it calls them in my world..

i'll be joining that covenant fairly soon though so see how we go :D

DiddyBop

Enjoying this game so much more than Demon's Souls. For some reason I couldnt really get into DS but this game has sucked me right in, love everything about it. Can't wait to go back and play DS after this game. I feel like i'll have a new appreciation for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom