• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrWisker

From the Dark Wraiths?! I am about to try some Slab farming there, how rare are the drops? I am on 410 item discovery.

I was farming for chunks with 410 item discovery and ended up with 3 slabs in a matter of 10 minutes. I went back later and over an hour got a few chunks, a ton of dark hands and no slabs. So chalk it up to luck of the draw.

Jubs

Can you be summoned for a boss fight in a specific area, if you've already killed the boss in your game? For example, let's say I've already killed the Gaping Dragon in the Depths. If I lay down a summoning sign, can I be summoned to help someone kill the Gaping Dragon in their game? I'm lvl 43, if that matters.

Also, is the Uchigatana a good weapon for pvp?

Sullichin

Can you be summoned for a boss fight in a specific area, if you've already killed the boss in your game? For example, let's say I've already killed the Gaping Dragon in the Depths. If I lay down a summoning sign, can I be summoned to help someone kill the Gaping Dragon in their game? I'm lvl 43, if that matters.

yes you can co-op after you've beaten the boss. I've co-opped gaping so many times lol.. level 43 should be good, maybe a little too high to get constant action.

Yes, I've been helping out with Quelaag and Sen's for a long time now...lots of souls and humanity to be had.

Mutombo

To be honest the only thing he needs to do is hit a falling attack at the beginning and then run all the way down, lure the demon to the other end of the bridge, then run back to the ladder climb up and then repeat another falling attack. That is what I did and killed him no problem.

Also LOL at the Big Wolf, killed him in one try. That was the easiest boss fight in the game for me.

Tried doing this, but I cant climb up again because he's too fast, so he just pummels me while I'm climbing helpessly up the stairs.

But for the sake of the love this game receives I will try again a couple of times.

EasyMode

Tried doing this, but I cant climb up again because he's too fast, so he just pummels me while I'm climbing helpessly up the stairs.

But for the sake of the love this game receives I will try again a couple of times.

If you stay right up against him between his legs, most of his attacks should whiff completely. So after you do your drop attack, go for the groin!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's soon time to give this game another chance (my fourth one). This time, for the first time ever, I will be playing with my cousin - maybe that'll make it more fun.

Booshka

It's soon time to give this game another chance (my fourth one). This time, for the first time ever, I will be playing with my cousin - maybe that'll make it more fun.

Are you two going to organize co-op or are you gonna pass the controller back and forth?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Are you two going to organize co-op or are you gonna pass the controller back and forth?
Nah he's gonna sit next to me and watch while I play. We did this with the release of EU Demon's Souls and we both loved the game even more - so I think we'll both enjoy DkS more that way.

Sullichin

Curious, Yoshi, why don't you like this game? I remember you from the original OT...

Mutombo, I think it's harder to go for additional plunging attacks than it is to just attack him normally. Like others have said, stay right under his balls and you should be safe for the most part. Kind of disorienting though.

Yoshichan

Curious, Yoshi, why don't you like this game? I remember you from the original OT...
I wouldn't say that I didn't like the game... quote from the GotY 2011-thread:

I've said this once and I'll say it again: 2011 (as a gaming year) sucked hard but that's mostly because many games disappointed me. It's too bad we're not allowed to vote for HD ports (SotC, ICO, RE4 and MGS because those games MADE 2011 for me.)

1. Dark Souls ; Although the game was a huge disappointment in my eyes, it still wins 2011 because this year was terrible.
So yeah it is my GotY 2011 but I just felt that it was such a disappointment... I'm not gonna go through all the things but I just so many lacking moments and environments compared to Demon's Souls. And I think that was my problem actually: I kept comparing it to DS...

Ugghh, Bed of Chaos man. Even cheesing this jerk is a royal pain in the ass. Trying to do the quit/reload strategy after each orb. Only got the first one on the right and he keeps knocking me off a ledge or outright killing me.

Sullichin

I wouldn't say that I didn't like the game... quote from the GotY 2011-thread:

So yeah it is my GotY 2011 but I just felt that it was such a disappointment... I'm not gonna go through all the things but I just so many lacking moments and environments compared to Demon's Souls. And I think that was my problem actually: I kept comparing it to DS...

Interesting. Sucks that you thought 2011 was terrible, I thought there were tons of great games this year. And yeah RE4HD is great :D Anyway, last year I first I played Demons, hit a wall very early on, gave up (I was not playing the game right at all. didn't understand leveling/upgrades, anything). After beating Dark Souls I went back to Demons and pretty much breezed through it (Dark is definitely a harder game). Some truly amazing level design in Demon's Souls, I'm so glad I went back and finished it. All of world 1 in particular is just the best. I think I prefer the open world of Dark though, I love how everything is connected. Both games are great!

Yoshichan

Yeah both games are definitely good... I'm wondering how my hype for the next Souls-game will be... ._.

Booshka

Yeah both games are definitely good... I'm wondering how my hype for the next Souls-game will be... ._.

I would avoid marathoning the next Souls game wired on energy drinks and playing with a cut and festering hand for 36 hours. You might enjoy it more.

Yoshichan

I would avoid marathoning the next Souls game wired on energy drinks and playing with a cut and festering hand for 36 hours. You might enjoy it more.
Yeah... that shit was crazy. What a weird week that was, huh? Everything just went so frikkin' wrong.

Yoshichan

I can't imagine how awful Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants must have been playing under those conditions.
What made Lost Izalith and Tomb of Giants even worse was that my finger-injury got me influenza so I was playing with ridiculous headache and constant illness too.

Jesus Christ, never again.

Phandy

Whats everyones problem with Lost Izalith?
I know it looks terrible, but thats not a huge problem.
Dinosaurs are hard, but you dont have to fight any. Every other mob is a stone statue thing, which are super easy. And once you get to the boss once, you can run past every single enemy to get there. Boss takes about 4-5 tries through trial and error, because it doesn't reset.

Is that everyone's problem, that it was super boring?
Also Bed of Chaos/Four Kings have been my 2 easiest boss fights so far :S did FK, second go this morning, weird.

Yoshichan

Is that everyone's problem, that it was super boring?
Play any world in Demon's Souls, alternatively play any of the first zones in Dark Souls.

Now compare that to Lost Izalith. Doesn't really feel like the same amount of quality.

Phandy

Play any world in Demon's Souls, alternatively play any of the first zones in Dark Souls.

Now compare that to Lost Izalith. Doesn't really feel like the same amount of quality.

Yeah ok, I can agree to that. Theres nothing wrong with it but theres just nothing good about it either.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
So, a "twink" is someone who gets a bunch of awesome gear at low levels for the purpose of killing poor defenseless newbies, correct?

Yoshichan

So, a "twink" is someone who gets a bunch of awesome gear at low levels for the purpose of killing poor defenseless newbies, correct?
Yup, pretty much.

Sullichin

Yeah.. can someone explain to me why this word is being used? I don't get it, and it baffles me that everyone uses the same word to describe this o_O

Yoshichan

Yeah.. can someone explain to me why this word is being used? I don't get it, and it baffles me that everyone uses the same word to describe this o_O
Originates from the original Everquest :p No idea why they used that word though.

akira28

Apparently related to 'those' twinks. Stronger character helping the younger, weaker character get the expensive and powerful armors and weapons. Sounds logical, although I'm sure the Internet is often wrong.

Sullichin

Originates from the original Everquest :p No idea why they used that word though.

cause I googled that word.. if its based on the accepted definition of that word, I really don't get it :p

Apparently related to 'those' twinks. Stronger character helping the younger, weaker character get the expensive and powerful armors and weapons. Sounds logical, although I'm sure the Internet is often wrong.

but no other character helped me get those items? I just obtained them on a low level run.. am I still a twink? Ugh what a shitty term to use.

anyway, my low level "twink" - if you will - is currently all about sen's fortress invasions. Everyone I encounter is definitely higher level than me so I can only take a couple of hits. But if I get the jump on them or trick them I can win. Oh man, I had so many awesome invasions. Using the traps, luring them into enemies, making them fall of ledges, using the fire boulder throwing giant to determine where you're hiding, messing with the boulder machine, fighting with fire in the narrow passageways...ahaha so many good times. One guy missed the jump across the broken bridge that goes to the merchant. As he's healing down below I drop on him with a ninja plunging attack from the heavens. I play fair and don't heal even if it's 3 vs 1. I only pop a humanity if I intentionally take fall damage.

Also, sif continues to be one of the easiest bosses in the game at any level/playstyle I try to attack him with. I have never died in this fight and I never understand why people have trouble (and I've had trouble with plenty of other bosses).

akira28

cause I googled that word.. if its based on the accepted definition of that word, I really don't get it :p

but no other character helped me get those items? I just obtained them on a low level run.. am I still a twink? Ugh what a shitty term to use.

*shrug* It's just 'net slang' from earlier team looting situations like EQ and WoW...and net slang is generally dumb. Some guy did give me a free demon spear after I let him beat up on me for a few in PVP though... >_>

Booshka

Also, sif continues to be one of the easiest bosses in the game at any level/playstyle I try to attack him with. I have never died in this fight and I never understand why people have trouble (and I've had trouble with plenty of other bosses).

Capra Demon is like this for me, I have never died to him, over 20 times I have beaten him. I always have some Poise though, and that is key to getting up the stairs and then winning the fight from there.

Sullichin

Capra Demon is like this for me, I have never died to him, over 20 times I have beaten him. I always have some Poise though, and that is key to getting up the stairs and then winning the fight from there.

Yeah if you have shit equipment Capra is so hard, and very easy otherwise.

Also.. Sif wins best boss fight in the game informer RPG awards? one of the least memorable boss fights in the game imo. In fact I always forget I need to beat him, he seems like an optional boss. Ornstein and Smough = definitely the best.

Yeah if you have shit equipment Capra is so hard, and very easy otherwise.

Also.. Sif wins best boss fight in the game informer RPG awards? one of the least memorable boss fights in the game imo. In fact I always forget I need to beat him, he seems like an optional boss. Ornstein and Smough = definitely the best.

+1

Love doing some co-op in AL. Noticed I get called more frequently now that I'm a sunbro.

EDIT: DLC!! Please be true, please be true...

Also LOL at the Big Wolf, killed him in one try. That was the easiest boss fight in the game for me.

wonder what i was doing wrong. there are definitely bosses i have had little to no trouble with, but he caused me serious problems. most bosses have taken me 2-4 tries or so, but he was way more.

Sullichin

wonder what i was doing wrong. there are definitely bosses i have had little to no trouble with, but he caused me serious problems. most bosses have taken me 2-4 tries or so, but he was way more.

Idk. it took me a zillion tries to beat Priscilla and the consensus here seems to be that she's pretty easy. Great combustion is really good against Sif.

mollipen

If anybody feels like it's worth it, feel free to make a thread about the story over on the gaming side. I know the rule is usually "new news, new thread", but I obviously can't since it's my story.

Just starting the game and it shocked me how brutal it is from the get-go. I think it's even more unforgiving than Demon's Souls, the skeletons in the graveyard, first area are just owning me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom