• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxgt

Banned
Can you tell me what stats are most important? Should I be pumping more into health? I am a melee fighter.

Edit: At this point faith improves my damage so I should probably be putting points into that and health.

It depends what kind of melee fighter you want to be really and the scaling of the weapon you're using.

How do you get 2280 hp? Vitality at 99 maxes out at 1900.

RoFaP and/or Pinwheel mask I guess.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
lol I killed the same dude like 5 times because he was trying to stack power within and darkmoon blade and I just ran away and let it run out and he sends me all kinds of angry messages

Booshka

How do you get 2280 hp? Vitality at 99 maxes out at 1900.

Yeah I use Ring of Favor and have 99 Vit. If you wear Mother Mask and Ring of Favor with 99 Vit you can get like 2600+ HP. I've seen a couple Vitality gouge builds where they just have base stats for a Lightning Zweihander then max Vitality at 99 wear FaP ring and Mother mask and take Endurance to 40. They are annoying to fight.

Choose Bandit as starting class

Vitality 99
Attunement 8
Endurance 40
Strength 16
Dexterity 10
Resistance 11
Intelligence 8
Faith 10

Level 120, too easy

Dylan

Am I screwed? I made an INT/DEX build so I could make a sorcerer that wields a katana (because that's badass), but I'm at the library and I'm getting pummeled! Everything has been a breeze until now. Frustrating! It almost seems like you need a club/greatsword in the library since the enemies have such strong defense. I put a lot of energy into making Queelags Furysword but it seems useless against these foes..

Apdiddy

I started on this over the weekend and using a Knight with SL38. I was using the freakin' Drake sword (which plateaus too quickly IMO) and got my stats up to be able to use the Black Knight sword (which is a lot better but against faster enemies will not be good). I'm trying to make sure by the time I get to the end of the game (like I did with Demon's Souls), I am well prepared and can handle optional bosses/dungeons. Question for Dark Souls'ers:
Are there enemies/bosses that do the soul suck move or something similar like King Allant did?
Also, what should be the next armor/weapons/items I should get next?

Anyway, I have to echo the sentiments about way too high level people invading my game -- it's almost making me quit the game for good. I especially ran into them in the Depths on Friday/Saturday. It would be awesome if FROM would address this and actually severely punishing those players (instant de-levelling, removing those players from access to online, etc.). I understand that invading is part of the game and I am not complaining about that. That comes with the territory with online play on this game. I'm also extremely thankful for players I met this weekend that helped me with the boss in the Depths (I don't know if he/she reads this, but I want to give a shout out to SRLust).

But it's hard to get through my first playthrough of the game when I can't walk through a dungeon without getting invaded and dying nearly instantly because my stats aren't high enough.

/end rant

Oh, and the music for Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin is so haunting. It should be in a movie.

Sullichin

Am I screwed? I made an INT/DEX build so I could make a sorcerer that wields a katana (because that's badass), but I'm at the library and I'm getting pummeled! Everything has been a breeze until now. Frustrating! It almost seems like you need a club/greatsword in the library since the enemies have such strong defense. I put a lot of energy into making Queelags Furysword but it seems useless against these foes..

You don't need a crazy weapon, Duke's enemies are pretty tough though. It would probably be a step up in difficulty regardless of your build. You're not screwed, you can definitely manage with the setup you have now. If you're using queelag's sword, have some active humanity to increase the damage. A shield with high stability can be a big help with the enemies here.

I started on this over the weekend and using a Knight with SL38. I was using the freakin' Drake sword (which plateaus too quickly IMO) and got my stats up to be able to use the Black Knight sword (which is a lot better but against faster enemies will not be good). I'm trying to make sure by the time I get to the end of the game (like I did with Demon's Souls), I am well prepared and can handle optional bosses/dungeons. Question for Dark Souls'ers:
Are there enemies/bosses that do the soul suck move or something similar like King Allant did?

Anyway, I have to echo the sentiments about way too high level people invading my game -- it's almost making me quit the game for good. I especially ran into them in the Depths on Friday/Saturday. It would be awesome if FROM would address this and actually severely punishing those players (instant de-levelling, removing those players from access to online, etc.). I understand that invading is part of the game and I am not complaining about that. That comes with the territory with online play on this game. I'm also extremely thankful for players I met this weekend that helped me with the boss in the Depths (I don't know if he/she reads this, but I want to give a shout out to SRLust).

But it's hard to get through my first playthrough of the game when I can't walk through a dungeon without getting invaded and dying nearly instantly because my stats aren't high enough.

/end rant

The upside of having asshole invaders is that you can summon co-op phantoms that are just as maxed out. They aren't actually higher level than you, they're just using really good gear. You can avoid this by being hollow, it shouldn't really be impeding your progress of the game. I don't think FROM should punish these players in any way.. they're being jerks but it's called invading for a reason :p If it was not intended that players can invade at any level, there would be a level requirement on the red eyed orb or something.

There's nothing like
soul suck, but there is an attack that darkwraiths (the enemy type and other players who have the 'dark hand' item) can use that will reduce your active humanity by 1.
Not really a big deal.

Booshka

There's nothing like
soul suck, but there is an attack that darkwraiths (the enemy type and other players who have the 'dark hand' item) can use that will reduce your active humanity by 1.
Not really a big deal.
It's a big deal when you are +3 in the Darkwraith Covenant, you get 10 Humanity per suck, I've gotten some rage filled messages from AFK players that were victim to it.

If you're an INT build use sorceries, it makes the level much easier, you can kill most enemies except the channelers before they get to you. The skeletons can easily be backstabbed as well.

/end rant

Oh, and the music for Moonlight Butterfly/Dark Sun Gwyndolin is so haunting. It should be in a movie.

If you don't want to be invaded you can always play as a hollow. You'll have to unhollow if you want to summon someone, but apart from that the game plays exactly the same.

Livanh

so i just found out that undead burg is really crowded with decent pvp people around sl100.
anyone i meet there seems to be quite ok and not spam bstabbing etc.
does anyone know of other good places that are NOT kiln oder dark anor?
and does anyone know if theres a meetup forum or some place to look for pvp people?
anyway, my psn name is livanh. ill also help in pve :)

If you're an INT build use sorceries, it makes the level much easier, you can kill most enemies except the channelers before they get to you. The skeletons can easily be backstabbed as well.

Crystal enemies are strong against magic unless the caster's INT is pretty high. I didn't bother using any sorceries in Archives besides magic weapon/shield. Pyromancy and an elemental weapon is a good plan for that level.

Crystal enemies are strong against magic unless the caster's INT is pretty high. I didn't bother using any sorceries in Archives besides magic weapon/shield. Pyromancy and an elemental weapon is a good plan for that level.

I didn't have problems with sorceries except for the golems and the channelers, but my INT was very high (I wanted to get to 50 INT for White Dragon Breath). I actually killed enemies faster with sorceries than with weapons, but maybe that's because I'm using INT scaling weapons, idk.

chunk3rvd

Trying to plan out how I can get the remaining covenant rewards on my first playthrough while completing the 2 remaining areas. I'm currently a level 3 Darkwraith and have come up with the following:

Before Catacombs - join Princess Gaurd, join Path of the Dragon and offer 30 scales
During Catacombs - join Gravelord Servant and offer 10 eyes of death
After Tomb of the Giants - join Chaos Servant and offer 30 humanity
After Lost Izalith - join Blade of the Darkmoon and offer 10 Souvenirs of Reprisal

I know I'll lose my level 3 darkwraith rank - am I right in thinking that will drop to level 2?

My other main question - is there anyway I can rejoin the Darkwraiths at the end of this and keep my level in the book of the guilty? I guess absolving through Oswald would reset my sin?

Booshka

Trying to plan out how I can get the remaining covenant rewards on my first playthrough while completing the 2 remaining areas. I'm currently a level 3 Darkwraith and have come up with the following:

Before Catacombs - join Princess Gaurd, join Path of the Dragon and offer 30 scales
During Catacombs - join Gravelord Servant and offer 10 eyes of death
After Tomb of the Giants - join Chaos Servant and offer 30 humanity
After Lost Izalith - join Blade of the Darkmoon and offer 10 Souvenirs of Reprisal

I know I'll lose my level 3 darkwraith rank - am I right in thinking that will drop to level 2?

My other main question - is there anyway I can rejoin the Darkwraiths at the end of this and keep my level in the book of the guilty? I guess absolving through Oswald would reset my sin?

You will lose your Covenant rank (all of it) but I don't think you lose your Indictments in the Book of the Guilty. Just don't absolve your sin. I don't think you need to anyway to join Darkmoon or any other covenants.

chunk3rvd

You will lose your Covenant rank (all of it) but I don't think you lose your Indictments in the Book of the Guilty. Just don't absolve your sin. I don't think you need to anyway to join Darkmoon or any other covenants.

Ah, thanks. Thought that was the case but just wanted to be sure before I proceeded

One more question - what's the best way to take Avelyn for a 40 DEX / 40 INT build? Straight to +15 or is there any benefit to going down the Enchanted route?

Edit: oh shit! I just got 97717 souls DW invading in Anor Lando. What SL was the guy I killed (I'm SL34)? Or, where is the site so I can work these out myself?

Sullichin

Ah, thanks. Thought that was the case but just wanted to be sure before I proceeded

One more question - what's the best way to take Avelyn for a 40 DEX / 40 INT build? Straight to +15 or is there any benefit to going down the Enchanted route?

Edit: oh shit! I just got 97717 souls DW invading in Anor Lando. What SL was the guy I killed (I'm SL34)? Or, where is the site so I can work these out myself?

https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

Mxrz

I beat Ornstein and Smough this morning, but it wasn't easy. I went through about 10 humanity to stay human. Summoning at the bonfire failed a lot. A few times I'd get a "<phantom> has returned home.> message as we ran up the stairs, too. Maybe my connection was being dicey.

I wanted to kill Smough first for the ring, but between Solarie and the random summons, this didn't didn't work out so well. Solarie alone seem able to 1v1 Ornstein if I let him. I managed to kill first Smough first a couple of times, but then 2nd form Ornstein absolutely rocked me, Solarie, and whoever I'd summoned really quickly. I like the challenge of that, but after so many attempts I just went ahead and killed 2nd-Smough off. Although he did kill my both the phantoma and Solarie too.

One thing I noticed is I do way less damage than the people I was summoning, but I take far less. Is there some phantom element that lowers health or defense this time around? Or do people just skimp on VIT/Def for damage?

I upgraded the Lightning Spear to +5, and I'm thinking I should have picked a better weapon. With a couple of large bosses the spear seems like it misses a lot, especially when locked on. I've settled on Faith now and going to look into farming up a blessed weapon, ideally something fast with long range (M. Hammer, where are you?). I always held a dislike for the slow, heavy weapons.

Game arrived today, it's amazing, all I loved from Demon Souls it's there, possibly better.

Also got invaded at the five minutes of recovering my humanity, what's the level gap? he clearly had way more level than me.... or way better items, is that form of grieving that common?

MrWisker

Game arrived today, it's amazing, all I loved from Demon Souls it's there, possibly better.

Also got invaded at the five minutes of recovering my humanity, what's the level gap? he clearly had way more level than me.... or way better items, is that form of grieving that common?

Mostly likely someone invaded who has glitched the game using the Bottomless Box glitch. Which basically means this person copied over all of their great gear / upgraded weapons, etc... to a new character. Result is a low level character using high level gear.

I run a low-level glitch character as well, but I am usually helping people get through levels.

Mostly likely someone invaded who has glitched the game using the Bottomless Box glitch. Which basically means this person copied over all of their great gear / upgraded weapons, etc... to a new character. Result is a low level character using high level gear.

I run a low-level glitch character as well, but I am usually helping people get through levels.

Such an annoying glitch wasn't fixed by now? ugh...

Is the glitch on PS3 or xbox?

PS3 is the version I own.

It's also entirely possible to just beat the game at a low level and invade just like the glitchers are doing though. Fortunately there are plenty of low level co-op phantoms with really good equipment too.

I want to take my time beating the game and exploring the levels without having to deal with glitchers grieving me, I wouldn't have any problem if they were fair fights...

I guess I'll summon co-op phantoms next time....

if you just spend a bit of time at the start of the game running around upgrading instead of levelling up you can get some pretty nice gear.. but that's not immediately obvious on a first play. always though upgrade gear > levelling up.

The invaders that annoy me are the guys in Anor Londo who run and hide in the room with the titanite demon. Because I'm running out of dung pies to throw through the door at them.

I want to take my time beating the game and exploring the levels without having to deal with glitchers grieving me, I wouldn't have any problem if they were fair fights...

I guess I'll summon co-op phantoms next time....

summon, go hollow, or play offline are your options.

maomaoIYP

Is the glitch on PS3 or xbox?

It's everywhere, and it's easy to do. It's useful for building quick PvP builds, but griefers use it to gank low level players. If you love punishing griefers like me, make one yourself, and play the game normally in human form. You'd be surprised how unskilled low level griefers tend to be.

That being said I invaded 2 griefers in the forest last night who dashboarded as soon as their friend died and they realized they couldn't beat me alone. One guy I actually had the displeasure of fighting twice, and both times he dashboarded.

Booshka

I'm thinking of doing a SL1 run (no BB glitch), what equipment would you guys recommend?

Upgrade a mix of low armor sets, Wanderer, Tattered Cloth, Dingy, Maiden etc then wear the Poise ring and whatever other ring you like. Unless you don't mind fat rolling with medium or heavy armor.

My biggest problem with the BB glitch is people duping Divine Blessings, you can eat those things like a moss and it's insta-heal and cures all ailments. It's bullshit to have to deal with someone chomping on those things. I have heard the argument that invaders use them when the host is chugging estus, which I can agree with to an extent, but it's really bad mannered to use them all the time. I was a co op phantom in a game and I noticed the host used one like it was nothing so I just used black crystal and bounced out of his game.

chunk3rvd

Just got summoned into Anor Londo by a guy wearing nothing but a Xanthous Crown and rocking a simple Dagger / Hollow Soldier Shield combo. The knights were taking a fair beating as well so I think he was in NG+! He died during the S&O fight though :(

So, while Deviantart is, for the most part, a steaming pile of rubbish (Why do so many people draw Sonic fanart? I genuinely just don't get it), there are a few nice bits here and there.

db83bd18dd3923e7d48480faa10a27b0-d4pmazx.jpg

great_grey_wolf_sif_by_prayke-d4pf7h0.jpg

lautrec_of_carim_plushie_by_soren319-d4oyz0j.jpg

The Death of Ornstein (incomplete). I'm linking this because this must be seen full-size. It's amazing.

25040309_p3.jpg

Yup, they respawn. In fact, it's prime farming real-estate. Just before the crest door, smack that wall on your left.
Wait, that door that leads to that secret bonfire.behind the wall? That door with that glowing center? It's right up here? How many dudes must I wade through to get there? I see a third shooting arrows at me. No flasks left so I'm nervous.

So there are two potential murderers left? Oh man, my heart is pounding! Can I sprint through? Where should I be heading?

This game is like no other. My second time up here to retrieve my souls had be jumping at every branch and leaf that jutted in my view whenever I spun the camera. Beat that, new Silent Hill.

maomaoIYP

Wait, that door that leads to that secret bonfire.behind the wall? That door with that glowing center? It's right up here? How many dudes must I wade through to get there? I see a third shooting arrows at me. No flasks left so I'm nervous.

First time there you will find 2 heavy knights, 1 sorcerer, 1 cleric, 1 thief, 1 hunter and 1 bandit. Everyone respawns except the heavy knights and the hunter (who has special gear).

Sullichin

Upgrade a mix of low armor sets, Wanderer, Tattered Cloth, Dingy, Maiden etc then wear the Poise ring and whatever other ring you like. Unless you don't mind fat rolling with medium or heavy armor.

My biggest problem with the BB glitch is people duping Divine Blessings, you can eat those things like a moss and it's insta-heal and cures all ailments. It's bullshit to have to deal with someone chomping on those things. I have heard the argument that invaders use them when the host is chugging estus, which I can agree with to an extent, but it's really bad mannered to use them all the time. I was a co op phantom in a game and I noticed the host used one like it was nothing so I just used black crystal and bounced out of his game.

Healing during pvp is lame but that... that's the worst. I haven't see this.. how do they get so many, how do they get more than 99 of them? I'm assuming they have more than that or can easily get more if they're using them so frequently.

Booshka

Healing during pvp is lame but that... that's the worst. I haven't see this.. how do they get so many, how do they get more than 99 of them? I'm assuming they have more than that or can easily get more if they're using them so frequently.

You can dupe items with the BB glitch, I'm not sure how exactly, but they are just transferring items from character to character and duping items. Players do it with Slabs too, there are all kinds of crazy item transfer glitches and exploits going around. They are great for getting a PvP build quick, but when abused they ruin whatever sense of an economy and resources this game has.

Where exactly are you trying to go? That area is huge. Next to the area with the dudebros are an area with treemen, an area with 3 demon cats and an area with docile mushroom men. After that is a boss.
I.... I got to the the door.... and it didn't open.... got insta-killed by a knight. I feel very sad.

Just wanted to get to a bonfire and fill my flasks without backtracking. Hoped that door would open from that side. Guess not. What do I need? Clearly I shouldn't be there if I lack the item needed to open that door from the other side... Fuck.

Booshka

I.... I got to the the door.... and it didn't open.... got insta-killed by a knight. I feel very sad.

Best bet would be to get the Crest of Artorias and open that door from the other side to get to your bloodstain. If you have Soul items and can use enough to get to 20K go for it. If not, help people beat the Moonlight Butterfly until you get enough souls. If you don't care about your bloodstain, move on and try to come in another way, or check out the forest more in the other directions.

Best bet would be to get the Crest of Artorias and open that door from the other side to get to your bloodstain. If you have Soul items and can use enough to get to 20K go for it. If not, help people beat the Moonlight Butterfly until you get enough souls. If you don't care about your bloodstain, move on and try to come in another way, or check out the forest more in the other directions.
When you say soul items, you mean something like the soul of moonlight butterfly? Should I save that for something special? Er I know what you mean. Random souls found on corpses.

Booshka

When you say soul items, you mean something like the soul of moonlight butterfly? Should I save that for something special? Er I know what you mean. Random souls found on corpses.

Ya I wouldnt use Boss souls, use other soul items like Soul of Proud Knight, Brave Warrior, Nameless Soldier etc.

Just wanted to get to a bonfire and fill my flasks without backtracking. Hoped that door would open from that side. Guess not. What do I need? Clearly I shouldn't be there if I lack the item needed to open that door from the other side... Fuck.

there is a way around but it was back in the darkroot basin where the hydra was, up the other end from the hydra (opposite the bottom of the tower) there's a path going up the hill that leads to just outside the blacksmith in undead parish.

there is a way around but it was back in the darkroot basin where the hydra was, up the other end from the hydra (opposite the bottom of the tower) there's a path going up the hill that leads to just outside the blacksmith in undead parish.
That's where I've dwelled for many a weeks. I've only just discovered the bonfire down in that cave to the valley of drakes. Once I saved there, I made my way to that valley where the Hydra was. I recognized the area because of the crystal golems. Saw them after I beat Havel at the bottom of the stairs in the tower.

When I first saw them I said hell no and got outta there. Knowing I just saved at the new bonfire, I took them on. Easy peesy. Proceeded to take out the Hydra and discovered the ladder. Cat-wolves are a bit on the FU side but so are the dudebros.

I'll take the advice to get the crest and go in that way. Thought a boss battle would net me the key to open that door. Didn't know I had to purchase it...

Booshka

That's where I've dwelled for many a weeks. I've only just discovered the bonfire down in that cave to the valley of drakes. Once I saved there, I made my way to that valley where the Hydra was. I recognized the area because of the crystal golems. Saw them after I beat Havel at the bottom of the stairs in the tower.

When I first saw them I said hell no and got outta there. Knowing I just saved at the new bonfire, I took them on. Easy peesy. Proceeded to take out the Hydra and discovered the ladder. Cat-wolves are a bit on the FU side but so are the dudebros.

I'll take the advice to get the crest and go in that way. Thought a boss battle would net me the key to open that door. Didn't know I had to purchase it...

What level are you? I can suggest some more active areas to get summons based on your level.

This game saved current gen for me.

Blighttown sucks shit, though.

thankfully you can pretty much avoid the whole place even without the master key. unless you want the loot. which is admittedly some nice stuff.

ahhh no worries:) best of luck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom