• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any way to farm slabs? I have a bunch of chunks, but to get the ultimate of a weapon, you usually need a slab, it seems. Looking it up, it says only a certain boss drops it. Is there any other way to get them? I heard wraight knights rarely drop them, but I made New Londo dark, so I guess that's ruled out. Edit: Hmmm, it seems like crystal lizards sometimes have them. Those are such a pain to catch and kill....

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Goddamn, I loved carving through those
Taurus Demons
in the Demon Ruins. I kind of wish they respawned.

mxgt

Banned
Is there any way to farm slabs? I have a bunch of chunks, but to get the ultimate of a weapon, you usually need a slab, it seems. Looking it up, it says only a certain boss drops it. Is there any other way to get them? I heard wraight knights rarely drop them, but I made New Londo dark, so I guess that's ruled out. Edit: Hmmm, it seems like crystal lizards sometimes have them. Those are such a pain to catch and kill....

You can't make New Londo dark, you're confusing it with Anor Londo :)

you just need to empty the water from New Londo and you can farm Dark Wraiths.

There are a few ways to get Slabs

1 from Stray Demon
1 from doing the entire Siegmeyer of Catarina chain
Can get them from Great Hollow crystal lizards but they're a pain to catch (repeated restarts of game required) and they might not even drop 1
The last and most painful method is farming Dark Wraiths. I advise against it as it will cause you to hate everything and everyone. The drop rate is excruciatingly low.

It cannot be overstated. Bed of Chaos is the most stupid piece of shit boss design of all time.

Seriously. What. The. Fuck. I'm not even being hit. I'm at the last phase and it keeps hitting me with it's stupid-ass hitbox, constantly pushing me down the hole in the middle. Sigh. It's just pure "attempt until it happens to work, herp derp!"

mxgt

Banned
It cannot be overstated. Bed of Chaos is the most stupid piece of shit boss design of all time.

Seriously. What. The. Fuck. I'm not even being hit. I'm at the last phase and it keeps hitting me with it's stupid-ass hitbox, constantly pushing me down the hole in the middle. Sigh. It's just pure "attempt until it happens to work, herp derp!"

Agreed, it's absolutely horrible design. Then again Lost Izalith as a whole is garbage.

It's funny, when I was reading this thread and playing through for the first time I saw numerous complaints about the boss. I kept thinking to myself "eh, how bad can it be". Then I got to it. Oh.

Booshka

So I built my Princess Guard Character, 50 Faith, 23 Attunement then base stats for everything else to be at level 50. I don't think people like my shitty gear I have to wear to keep myself fast rolling at 9 Endurance (Maiden armor, Occult Club, Heater Shield) so I wasnt getting summoned very often. I've tried putting on better gear to fool people, then when they summon me I switch to my actual gear. Disappointing that most players don't understand how a healer works, so they just use Estus when I am casting heal miracles, really frustrating. It also seems that Bountiful Sunlight is better than Soothing, players are never close enough to me to get the one time High heal boost of Soothing, and Bountiful is essentially Replenishment with an AOE, works much better.

Mxrz

Every time I go human, I get invaded by some laggy Japanese player. Aren't I the host in this situation? Why should I have lag? It is frustrating. In Demon's Souls, I felt I was pretty good at pvp/invasions. Here, I'm getting my ass kicked in 1-2 hits every time. Admittedly my character/build is in no way pvp-fit, even for sl40, but still. I'm in EST, but I play during the night so I'm guessing it is Japan's primetime.

maomaoIYP

True, I tried invading as a dark spirit a couple of times but always felt like an ass because some people were obviously panicking and there I was destroying their hard earned souls...

But invading as a blue phantom is a lot of fun:
"The guilty pay the price. Returning home with souvenir of reprisal"
I just love when that pops up on my screen. I still got a few "do you have nothing better to do than ruining my game"-messages as a darkmoon, but hey they must have done something to be in the book of the guilty, so I don't care that much.

People that you kill as an invader don't lose anything besides their current humanity status. Also, you can invade someone as a blade of the darkmoon even if the host's current character has 0 sin, but has a character on the leaderboards that does. I know because that happened to me.

I tend to go easy as an invader on people who are obviously trying to get to the boss, especially if I'm invading right outside O&S.

Booshka

Every time I go human, I get invaded by some laggy Japanese player. Aren't I the host in this situation? Why should I have lag? It is frustrating. In Demon's Souls, I felt I was pretty good at pvp/invasions. Here, I'm getting my ass kicked in 1-2 hits every time. Admittedly my character/build is in no way pvp-fit, even for sl40, but still. I'm in EST, but I play during the night so I'm guessing it is Japan's primetime.
Are you playing at 4am?

Beat the hydra, and a gold crystal titan which ending up saving some lady. Accepted her offer, whatever that did. Fought some crazy cat-wolf things and decided on a different route. Got bombarded by plant dudes and kicked their asses only to succumb to two humans who surprised the fuck out of me.

Damn man. Don't feel like making that trek and fight those douchebags (plants included) to collect my souls...

Mxrz

Are you playing at 4am?

This weekend, yeah. Went nuts lastnight and did like 10pm til 11am. Was fun, but paid for it today.

Sad the Mirdan hammer is gone. I need to man up and settle on a build too. Dex was the most fun for me in Demons, but that was more about invading 2-2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, the Taurus Demons in front of the
door leading to the Stray Demon and the fire +10 ember
do respawn.
Okay, yeah, but not the seven waiting for you when arrive, that's what I was referring to.

Beat the hydra, and a gold crystal titan which ending up saving some lady. Accepted her offer, whatever that did. Fought some crazy cat-wolf things and decided on a different route. Got bombarded by plant dudes and kicked their asses only to succumb to two humans who surprised the fuck out of me.

Damn man. Don't feel like making that trek and fight those douchebags (plants included) to collect my souls...
Hehe, reminds me of this one pic I took around that area:
i70qmikINLvY8.png

maomaoIYP

Plonk down 20k and buy the crest of artorias from the blacksmith and just walk right into that area, but beware of the semi-invisible human enemies.

I actually really enjoyed that boss simply because it was so different. I can see how it could be frustrating, though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I actually really enjoyed that boss simply because it was so different. I can see how it could be frustrating, though.
Same. I sort of got lucky with it. At first I was frustrated with its design, but when I realized there were "checkpoints" I really appreciated how unique it was. I didn't mind that I had to try the same number of times I did against the gargoyles even though it was something completely different making me retry.

cj_iwakura

So I built my Princess Guard Character, 50 Faith, 23 Attunement then base stats for everything else to be at level 50. I don't think people like my shitty gear I have to wear to keep myself fast rolling at 9 Endurance (Maiden armor, Occult Club, Heater Shield) so I wasnt getting summoned very often. I've tried putting on better gear to fool people, then when they summon me I switch to my actual gear. Disappointing that most players don't understand how a healer works, so they just use Estus when I am casting heal miracles, really frustrating. It also seems that Bountiful Sunlight is better than Soothing, players are never close enough to me to get the one time High heal boost of Soothing, and Bountiful is essentially Replenishment with an AOE, works much better.

What merit do Princess Guard have? Aside from having an awesome Covenant name.

Finally beat Gwyn with my two handed weapon build (was using the Serpent-man Greatsword). I ended up really having to memorize the layout as getting caught with your back against the wall (or a stalagmite) is pretty much a death sentence.

Was a patch ever released allowing for teleportation to more bonfires?

No. I didn't even know there was one planned.

maomaoIYP

No. I didn't even know there was one planned.

I don't think there ever will be one.

They should have their own color, goddamnit.
I always felt that all the different kinds of phantoms should have their own colour. Forest invaders should be green, darkmoon blue, dark wraiths black, red soapstone red etc etc. When a forest invader and a darkmoon shows up at the same time in the forest I'm never very sure if they are gonna wreck each other's shit, because forest invaders can't hit each other but I think darkmoon and forest invaders can hit each other.

I don't mind the puzzle itself. There's nothing wrong with it. It's the fucking arms with their ridiculous hitbox that physically pushes you into holes without even hitting you. I got lucky during my first playthrough and just beat it without any of that crap happening. I had no idea what people were complaining about. Subsequent plays had me change my mind though. It's just such a random fight, which is horrible in a game where every move is supposed to be deliberate. That's what makes the Souls games so good, the sense of direct control of your character. Being swooshed around at random takes that control away.

Lost Izalith with the dinolegs was actually easy now that my Dex char was prepared with lots of arrows and an upgraded Pharis bow. It was still really boring and tedious, though I have to blame myself for making it a point to kill every single one of them.

Cimarron

I am currently starting Demon Souls. (LOVE IT!!!) I have both an xbox and PS3 which version should I get for Dark Souls? I think I have read that the PS3 version is prettier but what about the online community? Which is more vibrant?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I am currently starting Demon Souls. (LOVE IT!!!) I have both an xbox and PS3 which version should I get for Dark Souls? I think I have read that the PS3 version is prettier but what about the online community? Which is more vibrant?

PS3.

People that you kill as an invader don't lose anything besides their current humanity status. Also, you can invade someone as a blade of the darkmoon even if the host's current character has 0 sin, but has a character on the leaderboards that does. I know because that happened to me.

I tend to go easy as an invader on people who are obviously trying to get to the boss, especially if I'm invading right outside O&S.

Well, they have to go back to where I killed them to retrieve their souls, so if they die on the way the souls are gone for good.
And you don't even have to be in a covenant to invade, I even invaded people by putting my summoning sign down or got summoned as a dark spirit when I put the white sign down lol. These things happen rarely, but I still hope they put more effort into polishing the online aspect in the next game.

I would definitely go with the PS3 version, many pvp-players (if not most from what I've seen) are Japanese and the 360 practically doesn't exist in Japan.

Sullichin

I don't mind the puzzle itself. There's nothing wrong with it. It's the fucking arms with their ridiculous hitbox that physically pushes you into holes without even hitting you. I got lucky during my first playthrough and just beat it without any of that crap happening. I had no idea what people were complaining about. Subsequent plays had me change my mind though. It's just such a random fight, which is horrible in a game where every move is supposed to be deliberate. That's what makes the Souls games so good, the sense of direct control of your character. Being swooshed around at random takes that control away.

Lost Izalith with the dinolegs was actually easy now that my Dex char was prepared with lots of arrows and an upgraded Pharis bow. It was still really boring and tedious, though I have to blame myself for making it a point to kill every single one of them.

Yeah for all the complaints it gets, Lost Izalith is easy. It's only worth taking the shortcut if you don't want to fight centipede demon... or if you wanna do the solaire thing...the actual level is not challenging if you know where you're going. You can easily sprint to the bonfire before Bed of Chaos without fighting any of the dino legs, even if you aggro one you can get to the bonfire before it matters.

Bed of Chaos sucks though and I'm always hesitant to walk through that fog door at any level.

Deadstar

Can I get some help from a real pro here? I'm trying to kill the red dragon on NG+ and not having any luck. I use a halberd with pyromancy and miracles. I also have a bow. I tried taking it out from under the bridge near the rats but he keeps healing. I want to kill it the legit way on the bridge but the fire keeps destroying me. Is there any good strategy to kill this thing? I have a ring that ups my fire defense but I haven't tried using that. I'm sure it would have helped.

Sullichin

This is true since the 1.05 patch. Those dino legs used to aggro a lot more before.

Yup, but the patch has been out for a while and I've definitely seen a lot of LI complaints since then. There's other reasons to dislike it of course, like the garishly bright lava and the worst boss ever. But the actual level is just a short appendage to Demon's Ruins.

speaking of patches i wonder if we will ever get another. I don't think the game is in dire need of one or anything. Just have no idea if they plan on continuing to balance pvp and stuff. And I desperately want to hear about this rumored DLC. But really I should step away from this game for a long time and play one of the several games I have yet to play or finish since I got it.

Can I get some help from a real pro here? I'm trying to kill the red dragon on NG+ and not having any luck. I use a halberd with pyromancy and miracles. I also have a bow. I tried taking it out from under the bridge near the rats but he keeps healing. I want to kill it the legit way on the bridge but the fire keeps destroying me. Is there any good strategy to kill this thing? I have a ring that ups my fire defense but I haven't tried using that. I'm sure it would have helped.

it's finicky but you can coax it onto the bridge and take it out with melee. it involves kind of.. running into the wall on the 'safe' part of the bridge until he comes down. There's probably youtube videos of it. he can wreck you really quickly up close though. I also hear it's fairly easy to take him out with the dragonslayer great bow, but I haven't tried this.

Agreed, it's absolutely horrible design. Then again Lost Izalith as a whole is garbage.

I actually like the second half of Lost Izalith's design. The first part with the bounding demons is terrible. You can't see anything with the bright lava and there are just tons of them standing around chillin'. But the building area and the secret tunnel shortcut was a cool design in terms of architecture.

I think Lost Izalith would have been cool if there was, say, one Bounding Demon that was a bit stronger, and kind of ominously followed you through the area. Having it be kind of a chase sequence through a path through the lava instead of just "here, have twenty large demons and have fun!"

Mike M

Nick N

If you aim a bow at him from the left hand "safe spot" corner, he'll jump down onto the bridge right on the other side of the wide spot. He doesn't do much for the first moment, so you can get behind him for melee attacks.

I think if you don't kill him fast, however, he'll move his position and you won't be able to get back behind him before he starts nuking the bridge with unavoidable flame.

I just went to the top of the stairs, fired an arrow and very quickly swapped to two-handed Drake sword, ran to the center of the bridge and R2ed it. Just be sure to run back down the stairs after one hit and repeat the process.

Deadstar

I just went to the top of the stairs, fired an arrow and very quickly swapped to two-handed Drake sword, ran to the center of the bridge and R2ed it. Just be sure to run back down the stairs after one hit and repeat the process.

Ok so it looks like I have two things to try. Hit with arrow from safe corner then run behind Dragon or hit with arrow from stairs and hit him once and run back. I'll try both. I have nothing to lose by dying, especially since the bonfire is so close.

Thanks for the tips guys! I need to get past this guy so I can get the last sunlight miracle by giving the
soul of gwynn to the sunlight alter. Speaking of that, can I get the miracle if I'm only level one in the covenant? I will check online before I do it to make sure. There's no way I can waste that soul.

Mike M

Nick N
Ok so it looks like I have two things to try. Hit with arrow from safe corner then run behind Dragon or hit with arrow from stairs and hit him once and run back. I'll try both. I have nothing to lose by dying, especially since the bonfire is so close.
From the corner, you don't even need to fire an arrow, just pointing the cross hairs at him pisses him off.

oracrest

Did some co-op with Lathentar over the weekend. While waiting for another phantom to join, I snapped a shot of my souls waiting down in the Gaping Dragon's room.

c0421e10.jpg

Deadstar

Did some co-op with Lathentar over the weekend. While waiting for another phantom to join, I snapped a shot of my souls waiting down in the Gaping Dragon's room.

c0421e10.jpg

Cool shot. I'm actually making my way down there now on NG+. I'm going to have to go it alone because I need to chop off his tail. It might be insane but we'll see how it goes.

Mike M

Nick N
Does anything change on NG+ aside from the health and damage dealt? Once I figured it out, Gaping Dragon was a stupid easy fight for me, even solo.

Deadstar

Does anything change on NG+ aside from the health and damage dealt? Once I figured it out, Gaping Dragon was a stupid easy fight for me, even solo.

I think that's it. You also get 3x-4x more souls per kill. I thought I was in for a tough time but I went into NG+ around soul level 90 and I've been breezing through every boss in the game so far using my divine halberd and pyromancy that is fully upgraded from the first play through. I am scared because when I fought the gaping dragon the first time it was with two other guys and one of them died. I've got a ton of health now and some great items so yeah hopefully it won't be so bad.

I'm just surprised at how easy it is compared to my expectations of how hard I thought it was going to be. I'm going for the platinum trophy so I've got one more pyromancy to get, one more miracle, a few weapons and then I need to find a few slabs to fully upgrade certain weapons.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Had to bail out of Anor Londo again because the boss(es) were kicking my butt. Just beat the boss in the darkroot gardens
the giant wolf
. I still have no clue what covenants are about.

I've tried to read the DARK SOULS wiki regarding online play, and it feels like I'm missing a lot. Everything is so cryptic, is kinda annoying.

mxgt

Banned

Not really.

I have one character on NG+++ and it's still easier than my first playthrough because I know how to set up my character and tackle every enemy compared to my first time through.

Deadstar

Not really.

I have one character on NG+++ and it's still easier than my first playthrough because I know how to set up my character and tackle every enemy compared to my first time through.

Can you tell me what stats are most important? Should I be pumping more into health? I am a melee fighter.

Edit: At this point faith improves my damage so I should probably be putting points into that and health.

Booshka

Not really.

The game starts to get ridiculous again on like NG+++++ and beyond. The enemies do so much damage. Even on my character with 2280 HP and 450 Defense I get killed in 3-4 hits by regular mobs.

Go back to where you fought the Hydra & you can summon her & buy new spells. Also go back where you killed the gold crystal golem to get her cloths.

I still have no clue what covenants are about.

I've tried to read the DARK SOULS wiki regarding online play, and it feels like I'm missing a lot. Everything is so cryptic, is kinda annoying.

Most are about PvP. Like if you join Alvida's convent, when you equip the ring, you will be summoned to fight in the forest area against other players who have killed other of your convent members.

If you join the Darkmoon convent, you can then specifically invade players who themselves invaded random people & killed them.

Joining Nitos convent is completely different & epic as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom