• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Have we got a more up-to-date number on the sales for Dark Souls? My mind is still racing with thoughts of how awesome Dark Souls 2 will be. :D
Don't have any numbers for you, but I can guess if they do make a follow-up, it'll only be a sequel by name in the "Souls" series. Really cool having just this 'concept'; no universe to stay consistent with, or characters to develop - just each game being a complete, self-contained experience.

Whatever it is, it will be damn-ass-hell-awesome! :D

Frank

Man people were not exaggerating about how hard this game is... Played a little for the first time today, god damn.

I think a lot of the difficulty comes from the fact that you have to keep yourself in check a lot. Being aware and deliberate in pretty much all your actions, learning and using the full moveset of your weapon, managing the attention of the enemies to control how many of them you're fighting against at any given moment, reading and using their patterns to offer yourself openings - always were helpful in making things easier.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I'm right before the last boss. Are there any things I should do before killing him? Like killing all NPCs including
Gwynevere and Frampt
?

I'm right before the last boss. Are there any things I should do before killing him? Like killing all NPCs including
Gwynevere and Frampt
?

Frampt can't be killed & you don't gain anything by killing Gwynerve. You can kill the fire keepers for estus upgrades, but you can get the remaining upgrades early in NG+ anyways.
You will lose all embers though, so if you want to craft/upgrade any weapons you have to do that before the final boss. Bonfire upgrades will transfer into NG+, so if you have humanities kindle the fires in areas where you think you'll need lots of flasks.

Gwynevere and Frampt
?

Upgrade as many weapons and armors as you want to right now because you'll lose all your embers in NG+. Also max kindle as many bonfires as you can, or at least what you consider the important ones. This isn't as big a deal since you can continue kindling in NG+.

MrWisker

Been through the game a dozen or so times using various characters. Most fun so far has been a good little sun-bro helping other people fight bosses etc... In my 500hrs so far I have only invaded once as a dark spirit and a dozen or so times as a forest helper.

I have noticed during my last run-through I was starting to get bored of the game and decided I really needed to shake things up. So, on my latest character I have decided to become a rather low-level Gravelord. Spent the last couple of days at SL 28 in the undead parish gravelording and I have once again found some excitement in the game.

Interesting tid-bits: A lot of Dark Spirit invaders will simple wave, bow and exit out of my game once they see I am actively Gravelording. A few will fight though. Almost all Dark Spirits will attack any Spirit of Vengeance invaders in my game. I will always let them dual it out mono-o-mono.

My plan is stay in the Undead Parish or perhaps the depths Gravelording for a while. So I wish you all a happy Gravelord infection ;)

I am trying to work my way up to becoming a Dark Wraith. For some reason I have always felt guilty about invading other peoples games. I have no problem with people invading mine, but there is a tinge of guilt about going in and fucking someone else over. I hope to get over that......

Sullichin

Been through the game a dozen or so times using various characters. Most fun so far has been a good little sun-bro helping other people fight bosses etc... In my 500hrs so far I have only invaded once as a dark spirit and a dozen or so times as a forest helper.

I have noticed during my last run-through I was starting to get bored of the game and decided I really needed to shake things up. So, on my latest character I have decided to become a rather low-level Gravelord. Spent the last couple of days at SL 28 in the undead parish gravelording and I have once again found some excitement in the game.

Interesting tid-bits: A lot of Dark Spirit invaders will simple wave, bow and exit out of my game once they see I am actively Gravelording. A few will fight though. Almost all Dark Spirits will attack any Spirit of Vengeance invaders in my game. I will always let them dual it out mono-o-mono.

My plan is stay in the Undead Parish or perhaps the depths Gravelording for a while. So I wish you all a happy Gravelord infection ;)

I am trying to work my way up to becoming a Dark Wraith. For some reason I have always felt guilty about invading other peoples games. I have no problem with people invading mine, but their is a tinge of guilt about going in and fucking someone else over. I hope to get over that......
You can always use the red sign soapstone to make sure that the person wants to be invaded. But regular invading is fun too!
I still haven't gravelorded yet. And i've only been gravelorded (pretty frequently now, too) in the burg, where the BP enemies aren't even a threat. I want to see the BP skeleton dogs and BP black knights.

I haven't killed a boss since the patch implied by the thread title.. what does it say now? :(

Used to be 'YOU DEFEATED', now it's 'VICTORY ACHIEVED'

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Used to be 'YOU DEFEATED', now it's 'VICTORY ACHIEVED'
Oh, I see... sigh, that was charming
VwGBl.jpgl

In darkroot basin. Defeated a handful of crystal dudes and a giant hydraulic awaits in the distance. I am scared to approach. I'm level 41 with vit, end, str, and dex at 21. Drake sword is probably my strongest sword. Do I approach?

Hydraulic? Haha auto corrected Hydra.

MrWisker

In darkroot basin. Defeated a handful of crystal dudes and a giant hydraulic awaits in the distance. I am scares to approach. I'm level 41 with vit, end, str, and dex at 21. Drake sword is probably my strongest sword. Do I approach?

Yep....with a good shield and with your feet in the water you will soon learn their attacks and when to attack. Just watch out for the deep end :)

In darkroot basin. Defeated a handful of crystal dudes and a giant hydraulic awaits in the distance. I am scared to approach. I'm level 41 with vit, end, str, and dex at 21. Drake sword is probably my strongest sword. Do I approach?

Hydraulic? Haha auto corrected Hydra.

why not? what's the worst that could happen.

Dark Souls GAF, I am just about to enter the final area, and you know what? I want to play through the game again after this. I rarely play games a second time. I have a question: What exactly transfers in New Game +? Weapons? Materials? Levels? What doesn't?

I approached and wasn't doing well so I got out of there. If I'm trudging through the water, did I go too far?

No, if you go too far you'll just fall to your death. You should get the ring that negates the speed penalty in water/the swamp areas. IIRC you get if you revisit the Undead Asylum (the area where the game starts).
The hydra itself isn't too hard, the hardest thing is getting to it without getting hit by its water missiles. Once you're close enough it will only use its heads to attack, block the attacks with your shield & then quickly hit the heads before it pulls them back, rinse and repeat. Make sure you don't get too far away or it will start spying water again.

Dark Souls GAF, I am just about to enter the final area, and you know what? I want to play through the game again after this. I rarely play games a second time. I have a question: What exactly transfers in New Game +? Weapons? Materials? Levels? What doesn't?

Weapons, armor, rings and items all stay. Level, stats, covenant incl. rank, kindled bonfires transfer into NG+. All embers, keys & the ring that lets you walk in lava are removed.

MrWisker

All weapons and armour / all upgrade materials (embers are NOT transferred), most rings, and misc items are transferred. Your flask status is transferred. You do not lose your bottomless box.

All bonfire levels are transferred, so it may be recommended to max important bonfires before going to NG+ as you will lose the rite to increase bonfires on NG+ and will be required to defeat Pinwheel again.

All NPC's are reset. If you have not maxed your flask to +7 now might be a good time to do so by killing the firekeepers.

Weapons, armor, rings and items all stay. Level, stats, covenant incl. rank, kindled bonfires transfer into NG+. All embers, keys & the ring that lets you walk in lava are removed.

All weapons and armour / all upgrade materials (embers are NOT transferred), most rings, and misc items are transferred. Your flask status is transferred. You do not lose your bottomless box.

All bonfire levels are transferred, so it may be recommended to max important bonfires before going to NG+ as you will lose the rite to increase bonfires on NG+ and will be required to defeat Pinwheel again.

All NPC's are reset. If you have not maxed your flask to +7 now might be a good time to do so by killing the firekeepers.

Thank you!! Good advice. I will do that. Where do you raise the flask? I did it before at Anor Londo's first bonfire, but that guy isn't there anymore. I only have +2 but I definitely have more items to enhance the flask.

Booshka

Thank you!! Good advice. I will do that. Where do you raise the flask? I did it before at Anor Londo's first bonfire, but that guy isn't there anymore. I only have +2 but I definitely have more items to enhance the flask.

The Chaos Witch at the Daughter of Chaos bonfire and the Firekeeper at Firelink can reinforce it. You can kill those firekeepers then use their souls to reinforce your flask as well. Technically you could get to +7 in one playthrough, but it's more feasible to get to +6.

The Chaos Witch at the Daughter of Chaos bonfire and the Firekeeper at Firelink can reinforce it. You can kill those firekeepers then use their souls to reinforce your flask as well. Technically you could get to +7 in one playthrough, but it's more feasible to get to +6.

Thank you! I will go try that now.

I am trying to work my way up to becoming a Dark Wraith. For some reason I have always felt guilty about invading other peoples games. I have no problem with people invading mine, but there is a tinge of guilt about going in and fucking someone else over. I hope to get over that......

That's why the Blade of the Darkmoon is my favorite covenant. All the pleasure of invading, none of the guilt because you're going after invaders who screwed with other people.

No, if you go too far you'll just fall to your death. You should get the ring that negates the speed penalty in water/the swamp areas. IIRC you get if you revisit the Undead Asylum (the area where the game starts).
The hydra itself isn't too hard, the hardest thing is getting to it without getting hit by its water missiles. Once you're close enough it will only use its heads to attack, block the attacks with your shield & then quickly hit the heads before it pulls them back, rinse and repeat. Make sure you don't get too far away or it will start spying water again.

About that first area. I've curled into a ball in the nest but never picked up. What do I need to trigger it?

That's why the Blade of the Darkmoon is my favorite covenant. All the pleasure of invading, none of the guilt because you're going after invaders who screwed with other people.

True, I tried invading as a dark spirit a couple of times but always felt like an ass because some people were obviously panicking and there I was destroying their hard earned souls...

But invading as a blue phantom is a lot of fun:
"The guilty pay the price. Returning home with souvenir of reprisal"
I just love when that pops up on my screen. I still got a few "do you have nothing better to do than ruining my game"-messages as a darkmoon, but hey they must have done something to be in the book of the guilty, so I don't care that much.

About that first area. I've curled into a ball in the nest but never picked up. What do I need to trigger it?

I don't think you need to do anything to trigger it, you just wait one minute and the bird picks you up. Did you get the key near the bird's nest? It's on one of the stairs nearby and unlocks a door in the first area, maybe you need to have that for the bird to pick you up.

Just to make sure: I can kill whomever, for instance
Quelaag's Sister
, and I can start fresh on New Game+? Fresh, as in, she will be there for my help again. Same goes for other people who have been killed.

Just... be warned. I killed her for the soul too and... the panicked cries of her servant... let's just say it stuck with me

there's something awfully wrong about
repeatedly killing her sister to give her the humanities
. Especially if you've got the old witches ring. ;_;

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
But invading as a blue phantom is a lot of fun:
"The guilty pay the price. Returning home with souvenir of reprisal"
I just love when that pops up on my screen. I still got a few "do you have nothing better to do than ruining my game"-messages as a darkmoon, but hey they must have done something to be in the book of the guilty, so I don't care that much.
You never know, all they may have done is killed that knob Shiva and his mute ninja friend, or accidentally attacked another covenant NPC while in that covenant.

Invading is invading, whether you think your cause is justified or not. So just get over it fast and have fun as a Darkwraith!

Mxrz

Just started again in earnest. So many chickenhawk invaders at sl20-30. Lightning swords bigger than my character. Attack someone face to face, get back stabbed. Guuuuuh.

Got invaded in the Depths at the bonefire. Guy runs in cast God's wrath (I assume). I smack him but the hits don't seem to register. He casts 2-3 more times, and I'm dead. Is there some spell that makes them invulnerable this time around?

Sl30'ish now. Heading into, I guess, Blight town. I've not decided on a build yet. Since this Drake sword doesn't scale with anything, I've been pumping Vit and Endurance as safe choices. Although I raised faith a little pick up heal. Doing my best to stay blind to most things, but it sure is tempting to hit the wiki.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You never know, all they may have done is killed that knob Shiva and his mute ninja friend, or accidentally attacked another covenant NPC while in that covenant.

Invading is invading, whether you think your cause is justified or not. So just get over it fast and have fun as a Darkwraith!

Wait a minute, I'm in the book of the guilty for killing that ninja? I NEEDED that ring!

I killed like 20 people for the Forest Covenant, cut me some slack guys...
there's something awfully wrong about
repeatedly killing her sister to give her the humanities
. Especially if you've got the old witches ring. ;_;
Oh god, what does she say? I never had it

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
4 kings ended up being the toughest thing about the SL1 run, as I thought.

Gwyn was tougher at SL1 than I thought he would be. Blocking his attacks drains a lot of your stamina and the chip damage from the fire adds up quick if you don't have that much health. But things got a lot easier when I slapped the stamina ring on. I didn't technically beat him since I don't want to NG+ quite yet, but I got him down to a sliver of health, parried him one last time, and hit him with the come at me bro instead of attacking. Close enough.

Nito was kind of tough too at first, but when I decided to just put on Havel's and bum rush him with combustions he went down pretty easy.

Wait a minute, I'm in the book of the guilty for killing that ninja? I NEEDED that ring!

Oh god, what does she say? I never had it

you can watch it on youtube, but basically
she's blind i guess, because she thinks you are her sister. Also, all her eggs are dead. It's horrible.

so tried to do co-op with a friend for the first time today... and it was super easy! both characters at SL25, he summoned me twice in Sen's fortress to do the Iron Golem fight (first time he fell off the edge heh) and then again in Anor Londo where we did from right after the first gargoyle all the way to S&O, picked up a 2nd phantom on the way and beat them handily. Such a smooth run, didn't even have a problem with the archers.

edit: feeling a great affection for the npc phantoms at the moment. Leeroy blindly running in and bashing pinwheel to pieces, Tarkus getting slammed over and over by the iron golem and he just keeps on getting up again, and Solaire whether he's being eaten or impaled.. <3 those guys. Even you Mildred, even you.

*cries*

This game is so unforgiving, even with the silliest, stupidest accident. I'm at the VERY end of the game, and I'm just trying to make some of the ultimate weapons from crafting, as well as getting the bonfires ready for the next playthrough, when I accidently hit one button instead of the other and hit the blacksmith, in which in two seconds I rush to the dashboard. Did that do anything? Nope. Blacksmith wants me dead.

There goes getting some of those ultimate weapons. x_x.

*cries*

This game is so unforgiving, even with the silliest, stupidest accident. I'm at the VERY end of the game, and I'm just trying to make some of the ultimate weapons from crafting, as well as getting the bonfires ready for the next playthrough, when I accidently hit one button instead of the other and hit the blacksmith, in which in two seconds I rush to the dashboard. Did that do anything? Nope. Blacksmith wants me dead.

not at all!
go see Oswald in the Undead Parish belltower and ask to be absolved. It will cost you a lot of souls though - 44k last time i had to use him

although.. after you are done with the upgrades maybe you could
kill the blacksmiths and take their hammers

not at all!
go see Oswald in the Undead Parish belltower and ask to be absolved. It will cost you a lot of souls though - 44k last time i had to use him

although.. after you are done with the upgrades maybe you could
kill the blacksmiths and take their hammers

Oh man, really? Well that's a little better. Wish I had known that a few minutes ago though...err...lol. Well, also, I accidently hit one other guy very early in the game. I just killed him because they sure chase you down.

This will really help in my second playthrough, though, thanks...although I am making 100% not to hit anyone anyway.

Oh man, really? Well that's a little better. Wish I had known that a few minutes ago though...err...lol. Well, also, I accidently hit one other guy very early in the game. I just killed him because they sure chase you down.

This will really help in my second playthrough, though, thanks...although I am making 100% not to hit anyone anyway.

haha, no worries. i wound up killing patches a bunch of times in demon's souls due to a loose R2 on the controller. kind of felt sorry for him.. sort of. not. new controller but i've still done it, running up to the parish blacksmith and somehow i just flicked the heavy attack button.. had a full "noooo........ oh wait it's not that bad." moment.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Sure bud, we all NEED that ring... ;)

Hey pyromaniac Dark Souls GAF, which weapons do you guys use to compliment your fire-wielding? I've been stuck with a thunderously bad Long Sword+5 for most of the game just because I haven't decided on a nice path yet (considering fire once I've got the ember from Demon Ruins).

Not necessarily looking for advice, just curious.

Sure bud, we all NEED that ring... ;)

Hey pyromaniac Dark Souls GAF, which weapons do you guys use to compliment your fire-wielding? I've been stuck with a thunderously bad Long Sword+5 for most of the game just because I haven't decided on a nice path yet (considering fire once I've got the ember from Demon Ruins).

Not necessarily looking for advice, just curious.

Qualaag's Furysword has fire element by default.

went dex with my pyro, used a fury sword for about half the game but replaced it with a chaos great scythe and lightning iaito. love the great scythe.

you don't need the ember to start down the fire path, just to go beyond +5.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Ah jeah, had forgotten about the Furysword. Been pillaged by it plenty of times in PvP, wouldn't hurt to get my own back. But does it stack with DEX? I don't want to be spending too many superfluous souls.

Great Scythe looks nice, but never really tried using halberds. If I were to make it fire, I wouldn't have to worry about STR/DEX past 14.

Thanks for the ideas! May also consider taking a little dagger down an elemental path just for some up-close quick 'n' dirty scraps.

Just started again in earnest. So many chickenhawk invaders at sl20-30. Lightning swords bigger than my character. Attack someone face to face, get back stabbed. Guuuuuh.

Got invaded in the Depths at the bonefire. Guy runs in cast God's wrath (I assume). I smack him but the hits don't seem to register. He casts 2-3 more times, and I'm dead. Is there some spell that makes them invulnerable this time around?

I hate these griefers that ambush low level players with fully upgraded gear, lightning spear +5 etc.. I got invaded so many times in the parish/the depths & didn't even have a chance with my starting gear, I still bowed only for them to one-shot or backstab me while I'm bowing.
But I decided to have some fun: I restarted, created a low level INT build, skipped the depths entirely, bought soul spears, great combustion and AOE pyromancies. Then I went to the depths, waited at the bonfire and nuked those griefers to death as they ran through the narrow corridor towards me. Most were clearly surprised and expected to just murder inexperienced newbies, made it all the more fun ;-).

And yes, backstab is all kinds of broken in this game. It's extremely exploitable, I don't know how it works but you can get backstabbed from the front or even "teleport-backstabbed" when a phantom isn't even in your reach and suddenly appears behind you...

Which weapons are good for a character with a lot of stamina/str ? So far I'm using the gravelord servant sword +5. I also have the Blacknight Greatsword +4, but it does less damage than my gravelord sword, maybe I need to upgrade my strenght more (I only have 35 for now)

Also, how do I get Solaire to fight the last boss with me without joining the Chaos servant covenant ?

Sullichin

Ah jeah, had forgotten about the Furysword. Been pillaged by it plenty of times in PvP, wouldn't hurt to get my own back. But does it stack with DEX? I don't want to be spending too many superfluous souls.

Great Scythe looks nice, but never really tried using halberds. If I were to make it fire, I wouldn't have to worry about STR/DEX past 14.

Thanks for the ideas! May also consider taking a little dagger down an elemental path just for some up-close quick 'n' dirty scraps.

Furysword has some minor DEX scaling. I like that weapon. I haven't used any of the great scythes but I think I get fucked up by them in PVP more than any other weapon. Dat reach.

Which weapons are good for a character with a lot of stamina/str ? So far I'm using the gravelord servant sword +5. I also have the Blacknight Greatsword +4, but it does less damage than my gravelord sword, maybe I need to upgrade my strenght more (I only have 35 for now)

Also, how do I get Solaire to fight the last boss with me without joining the Chaos servant covenant ?

Black Knight Great Axe!

*cries*

4ead953da83a9764db000073.png

Ugh. That Hydra beast is so inconsistent. Sometimes my shield negates the damage, sometimes I take it. Gah. Had it down to one head and rolled into its damn energy beam even though I was close to it meaning "don't fucking do that, try to bite me instead". Fuck.

Ugh. That Hydra beast is so inconsistent. Sometimes my shield negates the damage, sometimes I take it. Gah. Had it down to one head and rolled into its damn energy beam even though I was close to it meaning "don't fucking do that, try to bite me instead". Fuck.

There is a very short range that they will only do their bite attack. Stay at their base.
Also does you shield block 100% physical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom