• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you been down to Blighttown and fought that boss? You would get more summons down there, and Sen's Fortress is good as well if you have that opened.
Blighttown is the reason I'm off discovering these new areas. Got destroyed by the oogie boogie guys enough times to make me rethink my travels down there. Wanted to level up and ended up finding new paths.

And no idea where Sen is. Is he behind the onion knight gate? Nope, not opened. Not even sure when or how that gets opened. Just figured I'll be prompted or something will clue me in when I'm able.

Mxrz

Blighttown seemed daunting at first, but you can lure the fat guys off the ledges by climbing ladders. The thin ones can be lured out one at a time, and even with the drake sword, tend to die in about 3 or 4 hits. I did cheat a little and turn the brightness up to 10 for the area. I'd recommend carrying a lot of arrows for luring and the mosquitos. I ran out early and had to jump around a lot to get them low enough to melee.

this chart seems fairly accurate based on my experiences getting summoned, but be warned it's spoiler city.

Blighttown is the reason I'm off discovering these new areas. Got destroyed by the oogie boogie guys enough times to make me rethink my travels down there. Wanted to level up and ended up finding new paths.

you can avoid the whole top end of blighttown by
if you have the master key, go to new londo then enter the second tower right at the start. if you don't have the master key, you can go through the valley of the drakes. if you come down from the bonfire in the basin, take the path to the left, past 2 drakes and a zombie dragon and you'll see the entrance.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
^^^ Probably a good idea. I've barely touched any other game I own since getting this. And now the wife's getting into it... geez. Kinda cool though, as I'm not buying as many games as I used to on a whim. Dark Souls keeps my head cool and my wallet (relatively) packed.

Going back to the 'role play' idea, is anyone out there bringing NPC characters to life in their own way?

I'm considering making an account with the name 'Shiva's Pal', going straight for the Shadow set in Blighttown, and helping people out as a friendly neighbourhood ninja.

P.S> Don't think PSN allows punctuation in account names, so I call 'Friend of Shiva' instead.

I'd recommend carrying a lot of arrows for luring and the mosquitos. I ran out early and had to jump around a lot to get them low enough to melee.

oh yeah, even better than arrows vs. mosquitos are throwing knives. buy a hundred of those and you'll never be troubled again (as much)

Grinchy

Banned
I was about to come back to this game hardcore and work towards my plat, but then Kingdoms of Amalur came out. In ~80 game hours or so, I'll move back to this.

Blighttown is probably the easiest area in the game for me on my 2nd playthrough when using the shortcut.
It's so fast, easy & simple to get through it all when you know its layout.

yeah i don't actually have much trouble there going all the way through from top to bottom. although i was playing on a friends save the other day and told him i'd get the iaito for him. Missed the jump, got the invasion message in mid-air, hit the ground, killed the two ooga-booga guys and turned around just in time to catch a lightning shotel in the face. Man I was so cool.

Soulhouf

I hope From is planning to release a new patch.
What I wish to see in this patch:

- fix the net code issues (especially the lagstab)
- remove the BB glitch
- make DWGR flipping only possible when you're under 25% equip burden.
- only Pinwheel boss should drop one of the masks (not 100%)
- remove backstab from big weapons
- the fog ring should be lockable but only when you are very close
- nerf the WotG miracle
- Katanas should have S dext scaling at +15
- Sanctus should offer more HP regeneration (like the Adjucator shield in Demon's Souls)
- increase the power of some boss weapons

I would also like to remove twincling titanite from the Giant blacksmith but it's not a big deal.

Frank

I didn't know about the Lordvessel / Kiln of the First Flame bug the guy in the above speedrun uses to open the Kiln without having the 4 Lord Souls...

Here's a link to the last video from the speedrun, timestamped to where the bug triggering sequence starts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUHJ90zZETA&t=04m00s

Simplifies things a bit, especially for whoever's been through the game already a few times and might want to speed up the progression and get to the Kiln and the farm-able Black Knights asap.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Damn..got cursed in the Great Hollow by one of those bug-eyed little pricks....Where's the nearest place to get uncursed? My thoughts are i need to backtrack all the way towards the beginning to buy an item to uncurse me, but to get there i need to go back through the poison swamps in Blighttown again to make it to that area where the shortcut is all the way at the top. Is that my only option?

maomaoIYP

masterkey.

Wtf! I always take masterkey and I always spend the 1K for that stupid key. Never knew the masterkey works on that door as well. =(

Honestly though, this speedrun wasn't worth watching. Nothing new, besides the glitch right at the end, and I found it seriously underwhelming.

Sullichin

I hope From is planning to release a new patch.
What I wish to see in this patch:

- fix the net code issues (especially the lagstab)
- remove the BB glitch
- make DWGR flipping only possible when you're under 25% equip burden.
- only Pinwheel boss should drop one of the masks (not 100%)
- remove backstab from big weapons
- the fog ring should be lockable but only when you are very close
- nerf the WotG miracle
- Katanas should have S dext scaling at +15
- Sanctus should offer more HP regeneration (like the Adjucator shield in Demon's Souls)
- increase the power of some boss weapons

I would also like to remove twincling titanite from the Giant blacksmith but it's not a big deal.

Good changes. I'd also like to see gravelording work if you've already beaten the boss, just so there's more people doing that.

Damn..got cursed in the Great Hollow by one of those bug-eyed little pricks....Where's the nearest place to get uncursed? My thoughts are i need to backtrack all the way towards the beginning to buy an item to uncurse me, but to get there i need to go back through the poison swamps in Blighttown again to make it to that area where the shortcut is all the way at the top. Is that my only option?

Got any homeward bones? If your last bonfire rest is blighttown that'd save you some time. You can buy a purging stone from the undead female merchant in the aqueduct, or from oswald (guy who pardons sins) at the bell tower.

Soulhouf

In the next area (Ash Lake) there are enemies who drop purging stones.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Got any homeward bones? If your last bonfire rest is blighttown that'd save you some time. .

I do, but i had used that Bonfire at the top of the entrance to the main great hollow tree area. So if i use one, wont it just warp me right back there again?

EDIT-- Ok, maybe ill just keep pressing forward to Ash Lake then. Is it a hard enemy that has them? Im already gonna be at half life...

Sullichin

I do, but i had used that Bonfire at the top of the entrance to the main great hollow tree area. So if i use one, wont it just warp me right back there again?

EDIT-- Ok, maybe ill just keep pressing forward to Ash Lake then. Is it a hard enemy that has them? Im already gonna be at half life...

Kind of difficult clam creatures that can take a lot of your health with their attacks. There's only a couple of them though. There's a bonfire near them so they will be easy to farm, and it won't really matter much if you die.

Gravelording also needs a permanent item instead of having to farm for eye of death imo.

yeah. and it would be nice if it notified you if your phantoms killed someone. I still haven't ever gravelorded.. getting invaded by 3 people at once doesn't sound too appealing (although at 120 in the burg, people tend to fight the gravelord 1 on 1)

InFamy

Neo Member
So active is the 360 version of the game? I finally got a new 360 and I really prefer to play with the 360 controller.

mxgt

Banned
yeah. and it would be nice if it notified you if your phantoms killed someone. I still haven't ever gravelorded.. getting invaded by 3 people at once doesn't sound too appealing (although at 120 in the burg, people tend to fight the gravelord 1 on 1)

I've gravelorded a few times but in the end it's just not worth it compared to other forms of PvP. You have no idea if your phantoms even did anything, it raises fog gates in your world so you just stand there and wait for people to invade, you can't do it if you've beaten the boss and you have to farm items to do it.

A real shame as it has great potential.

The only reason to go Gravelord is for the sword. :/

So active is the 360 version of the game? I finally got a new 360 and I really prefer to play with the 360 controller.

I never had much trouble finding PvP or co-op on 360 when I played the game a tonne but the game is definitely more active on PS3

Frank

Honestly though, this speedrun wasn't worth watching. Nothing new, besides the glitch right at the end, and I found it seriously underwhelming.

The 35m guy is moving faster than the 1h26m one. First bell was 9 minutes vs 11 minutes, second was 15 minutes vs 18 minutes, and I think the gap only gets wider later.

Underwhelming? In what sense? Have you ever tried doing what he does? :) Ringing both bells in under 20 minutes?

Deadstar

So thanks to the suggestions here I was able to get behind the red dragon without killing him, but I just needed to get to the sunlight alter so that's fine. I now have the most powerful lightning miracle but still need 3 more faith stats to use it.

I was able to take off the tail of the Gaping Dragon myself and slay the disgusting beast. I'm now in Anor Londo. I have to fight Smough and Ornstein myself because I need to make sure Smough dies first. Even so, I felt I would need some help getting there so I summoned two guys with me. We made it to the bonfire close to the boss and I kept getting invaded. So I just kept summoning people since there were always at least one sign on the ground. Throughout that section we killed maybe 6 invaders and it was power leveling me to the point where I gained about 7 levels.

My next move will be to solo Smough and Ornstein in NG+. So far the other bosses haven't been that hard compared to my first play through so we'll see how it goes.

krakov

Wtf! I always take masterkey and I always spend the 1K for that stupid key. Never knew the masterkey works on that door as well. =(

You still need the residence key for the door in Lower Undead Burg though. My pro tip is to just kill that undead bastard as he drops the key.

Booshka

The 35m guy is moving faster than the 1h26m one. First bell was 9 minutes vs 11 minutes, second was 15 minutes vs 18 minutes, and I think the gap only gets wider later.

Underwhelming? In what sense? Have you ever tried doing what he does? :) Ringing both bells in under 20 minutes?

I agree, I think the underwhelming part comes from already watching a Speed Run of Dark Souls, the initial amazement can never be matched, even if the time and technique is better. I did like how he used Firelink as his only bonfire for the first half of the run, I think that would be kinda cool to try, make Firelink like the Nexus of Dark Souls and don't bonfire anywhere else. I also liked that he used the Crystal Halberd, that thing made a lot of the game easy for me when I didn't want to waste time upgrading weapons until I opened up areas to farm Chunks and got embers.

The Kiln glitch is only on PS3 right?

Sullichin

I've gravelorded a few times but in the end it's just not worth it compared to other forms of PvP. You have no idea if your phantoms even did anything, it raises fog gates in your world so you just stand there and wait for people to invade, you can't do it if you've beaten the boss and you have to farm items to do it.

A real shame as it has great potential.

The only reason to go Gravelord is for the sword. :/

I never had much trouble finding PvP or co-op on 360 when I played the game a tonne but the game is definitely more active on PS3
yeah maybe im crazy but i definitely wish i saw more black phantom enemies.

Digging through my Collector's Edition, I stumbled on the bonus content download card that I never used before.

Christmas!

What's the bonus content? the behind the scenes videos?

But that would break the rule "you can only invade a player who didn't beat the boss yet".

I think that's fine. You can already invade the gravelord if you're hollow (i'm pretty sure at least) and that's different than how other invasions work.

Also with other covenants you can still invade if you've beaten a boss, so gravelording is an exception to that rule. I think it's ok if all covenants have their own rules for invasions/getting invaded if it makes stuff more active. I'd also like to see an exception to the "can't get invaded unless boss is beaten" for the forest, at least for forest hunters. But forest pvp kind of sucks anyway. Burg is where it's at for good 1v1.

Booshka

I think that's fine. You can already invade the gravelord if you're hollow (i'm pretty sure at least) and that's different than how other invasions work.

Also with other covenants you can still invade if you've beaten a boss, so gravelording is an exception to that rule. I think it's ok if all covenants have their own rules for invasions/getting invaded if it makes stuff more active. I'd also like to see an exception to the "can't get invaded unless boss is beaten" for the forest, at least for forest hunters. But forest pvp kind of sucks anyway. Burg is where it's at for good 1v1.

I also think that Darkmoon members should be able to invade Darkwraith members that are actively invading in areas where they have already beat the boss. This would probably increase Darkmoon invasions significantly. I know that most Darkwraiths beat the boss so they can invade in peace, this mechanic would change that.

I think Gravelords should be able to BP anywhere and anyone, boss beaten or not. The player has to choose to invade the Gravelord to get rid of the BP's anyway. It would make areas of the game that you have already beaten less routine if there were beefed up enemies there.

Soulhouf

Also with other covenants you can still invade if you've beaten a boss, so gravelording is an exception to that rule. I think it's ok if all covenants have their own rules for invasions/getting invaded if it makes stuff more active.

Gravelord can't invade, he is actually the host. In fact he still can be invaded by any other player beside the victims of his curse.

MrWisker

I've gravelorded a few times but in the end it's just not worth it compared to other forms of PvP. You have no idea if your phantoms even did anything, it raises fog gates in your world so you just stand there and wait for people to invade

Being an active Gravelord does not in fact raise the fog gates for your level. I have been Gravelording the Undead Parish for a week or so and I am able to move freely to the bonfire by the blacksmith no problem. I have also moved between levels while Gravelording if I find an area a bit slow (moving from Undead Parish to the Depths etc...).

I actually like Gravelording the depths because I will usually just farm the rats for humanity waiting for invasions. Plus the Basilisks are close by if it start running low on Eyes of Death.

Booshka

Being an active Gravelord does not in fact raise the fog gates for your level. I have been Gravelording the Undead Parish for a week or so and I am able to move freely to the bonfire by the blacksmith no problem. I have also moved between levels while Gravelording if I find an area a bit slow (moving from Undead Parish to the Depths etc...).

I actually like Gravelording the depths because I will usually just farm the rats for humanity waiting for invasions.

You do know that you have to leave the boss alive in your game for it to properly Gravelord other people's worlds right? I also assume that moving from area to area while having an Eye of Death active resets your summon sign for people to invade you, hopefully it puts it back down in the new area. It's all very vague.

Sullichin

Gravelord can't invade, he is actually the host. In fact he still can be invaded by any other player beside the victims of his curse.

True, I phrased that poorly. I just meant other covenants can... do their covenant thing even if they've beaten the area boss. and you're not invading technically, but you are sending enemies into other people's worlds. But yeah I know you can't invade. Regardless, I'd like to see things work differently for gravelords just so it was more widely used. They should be able to use the eyes / get invaded if they've already beaten the boss. I want to see black phantom skeleton dogs on a random trip to tomb of the giants, damnit.

Mxrz

How big an impact does Dex have on casting speed? I'd planned on going Faith/STR since I have 18str on this char already, but I might reconsider. - Not sure this character is going to end up pvp-viable, but I'd like to keep her in co-op ranges at least.

Frank

I agree, I think the underwhelming part comes from already watching a Speed Run of Dark Souls, the initial amazement can never be matched, even if the time and technique is better.

Yeah, I get that. But after watching a couple of these speedruns, and in full possession of a lazy weekend morning and a cup of coffee, I said I'd try. And it turns out the beauty's in the small things, all those seemingly nondecisions of when to turn and how much and when to push and when to take a breath gradually pilling up on top of each other and pushing the guy further and further, faster and faster then the one before.

Of course I did a shit job out of my attempt at a speedrun, but it gave me a different perspective, and out of it came a renewed respect for what I cannot perceive when just watching a speedrun :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Blighttown seemed daunting at first, but you can lure the fat guys off the ledges by climbing ladders. The thin ones can be lured out one at a time, and even with the drake sword, tend to die in about 3 or 4 hits. I did cheat a little and turn the brightness up to 10 for the area. I'd recommend carrying a lot of arrows for luring and the mosquitos. I ran out early and had to jump around a lot to get them low enough to melee.

It's not really the enemies, because by then you get sufficient knowledge on the game for the enemies to not trouble you that much. The problem is that it's a fucking pain in the ass to traverse through it, the terrain is all fucked up and I think I died more because I ended up falling than because some baddies killed me.

can't even begin to describe how awesome it is when someone invades your world and you kill the invader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom