• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Waaaay easier to sneak throughtthe edge of the forest along the ridge and fight one or two forest people than to engage the cat bears. YOu can engage all forest people, run back to the stairs, hide at the very last piece of ground wedged between the stairs and the cliff and all the forest people jump off the ledge...they all die, and you get lots of souls...plus you can get to the covenenat ladty much easier that way than the Cats. The mushroom guys pack a punch but htey are are S-L-O-W. No significant danger in getting your souls back if you know what you are doing. Cats are always tough...no easy strategy there I am aware of.
LOL, I wrote "up to know good" *facepalm

There are 3 cats and they don't respawn? I've already felled one of them. I wanted to kill them for the satisfaction of the hunt before joining the covenant.

I'll try to cheese the warriors and then hunt the cat-bears and THEN join lololol. Sounds neat.

Wooo! Got the warriors to jump off the cliff, killed the cat, them joined the covenant. Now what happens if I attack the warriors now? Will it break my bind with the covenant or can I get away with it and take their equipment too?

Nevermind. Just read that that's a no-no on the wiki.

Capra Demon as deprived at default level is not very fun.

Damn plank shield you're so useless.

haha i've been there with my first DaS character. I recommend ditching that thing for an upgraded Hollow Soldier's Shield (since you'd likely have a few of those by now), or anything with 100% damage reduction and more stability just to help survive the first 30 seconds of the fight. after that you might as well be in pyjamas for all it matters.

Balder shield is a really nice early shield though heavy. Stability doesn't go up so much with upgrading but it looks nice!

Ok, after around 2 months without Dark Souls (burned with my first playthrough, global games saturation lol, and finals) I've come back to the game. I was just at the beginning of NG+, in the Catacombs, I wanted to play a little and clear the first boss. At the end I've been playing 6 hours straight, all the way down until the orange fog in the Tomb of Giants, doing several coops and then going to Undead Burg to do some PVP. I'm a little rusty and I don´t have yet the best equipment, but anyway I had a pair of very interesting duels.

And Platinum here we go. This game is worse than crack lol.

Dresden

Doing a deprived run?

I usually just run forward to bait him into swinging before rolling back. Seems to work, usually.

malfcn said:
After I have the Lordvessel full am I almost done?
The area you unlock is the final level.

Mxrz

I decided to explore the catacombs tonight. I turned human to boost bonfires. Now Spirits of Vengeance keep invading me, and I'm making 50-60k souls a pop off them. Half the time they fall to their deaths before I even see them. One guy jumped down just as I was pushing a lever to turn the bridge. Another guy found an illusory wall for me. The other times I've been sitting on a ledge and just knocking them off.

I now have a crap ton of souls and I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't want to level up any more at the moment.

Dresden

I decided to explore the catacombs tonight. I turned human to boost bonfires. Now Spirits of Vengeance keep invading me, and I'm making 50-60k souls a pop off them. Half the time they fall to their deaths before I even see them. One guy jumped down just as I was pushing a lever to turn the bridge. Another guy found an illusory wall for me. The other times I've been sitting on a ledge and just knocking them off.

I now have a crap ton of souls and I'm not sure what to do with them. I don't want to level up any more at the moment.

I actually liked to open up the illusory wall there when I invaded, since it seemed like a lot of people were missing it. That was usually the second thing on my to-do list, right after 'scan the level to see if I can flip the bridge on the host.'

malfcn

Found Gwyn. I should avoid him until I get as many achievements possible right? I am going for some weapon forging..can I dash after crafting to save slabs?

'salright, killing him is kind of a Souls rite of passage.

Found Gwyn. I should avoid him until I get as many achievements possible right? I am going for some weapon forging..can I dash after crafting to save slabs?

yeah don't kill him till you've done all you want, upgrade as much as you can to +10 for boss soul weapons etc. since all the embers will be reset. I believe you can quickly quit/reset to save slabs but I haven't tried as i spread out my upgrade trophies across different characters. so you might want to google the exact technique.

Mxrz

Beat Tomb of the Giants. Lost a bloodstain with about 60k souls at the end, bleeergh. Boss was a pain. Starting to think Divine weapons are useless without 50 faith. But I have wrath of the Gods now, weee.

Forest pvp was kind of fun for me yesterday. I didn't try too hard when it was 1v2, but I had some fun 1v1 and 2v2s from time to time. There's no level restriction with the forest hunters, right? That'd be kind of nice since if I end up overleveled going for the plat, the character won't end up nearly useless like in Demon's.

Mike M

Nick N
Went to go talk to the NPCS in Blighttown to ascend my Pyromancer's Flame.

Got in a fight with one of those dudes with a rock, and ended up stabbing her on the final blow.

So now I have to go all the way back to the Parish and spend the souls I would have spent on my flame on getting my sins forgiven.

Had I known this was gonna happen, I'd have killed Shiva's bodyguard already : /

SEriously???? You know those little clourful balls they give you in the archives are fortuitously placed right?

RULE: only walk where a ball you drop in front of you sticks to ground = zero chance of death.

THis game is one of favourite ALL TIME because it s

I must have laid down 40 of those stones & still fell off.
The path to the blue slab is SUPER narrow & it is shaped like a crooked cane, with the last stretch basically being a long u-turn!

Sullichin

I must have laid down 40 of those stones & still fell off.
The path to the blue slab is SUPER narrow & it is shaped like a crooked cane, with the last stretch basically being a long u-turn!

I laid down stones and fell off a couple of times too. Then I finally said fuck it, I'm just doing this for a trophy anyway, and looked it up on youtube. STILL fell off. I've gotten the slab a couple of times now and I doub't I'd be able to do it in one shot.

Apdiddy

I fought the boss for
second bell of awakening
and the battle is surprisingly easy with an online co-op player. I didn't know that
you can fight Maneater Mildred to use her as a summon in the battle though.

Online co-op player just threw heavy soul arrows while I circled around for melee hits.

But,
the freakin' Firekeeper is dead, so I have to go to Anor Lando to rescue her soul, right? I can't just invade Knight Lautrec anywhere, which is dumb.

Just beat Smough and Ornstein. How hard were these pair of mofos in the scale of hardest bosses in the game?

its tough to say. it seems to me that different players with different builds struggle with different bosses. i thought they were tough, but they didnt give me nearly as much trouble as a few others. in general though, i think they are considered among the tougher bosses. there being two of them certainly contributes to that.

How come I don't have the White Soap Stone? I talked to the guy when I first hit the place but I went back if I had just forgotten it. He just said that "use this for co-op" thing but nothing else.

Booshka

SEriously???? You know those little clourful balls they give you in the archives are fortuitously placed right?

RULE: only walk where a ball you drop in front of you sticks to ground = zero chance of death.

THis game is one of favourite ALL TIME because it seems difficult only to those that do not take the time to develop a strategy. oNce you relaise there is ALWAYS a way to make it easier.....just keep looking for a simple way...it always exists. Seath's tail solo is WAAAYY harder than getting the slab on that level.....but that is not so bad either if you time the crystal break right. I appreaciate that some things are harder than others as it should be or there would be no point; but there is always a way.

It's the hardest thing for me to do, I know exactly what I need to do, throw Prism Stones and slowly inch my way forward. But, it's always a pain in the ass, I usually have a ton of souls and humanity on me so if I die and have to get a bloodstain halfway across the toughest walkway in the game, it kinda blows.

Also, the Blue slab, and White slab for that matter are pretty much worthless, they don't scale well enough to do enough damage for how much stat investment you have to put into their respective skills (just make a Chaos or Lightning weapon instead). Seath's tail is pretty easy for me now, because I use a good strategy and it works every time.

Getting the Blue Slab and fighting Bed of Chaos are the only challenging things left in this game for me, and they are both just environmental hazards. Luckily, I don't have to go for the the Blue slab to complete the game.

oracrest

Roll, baby!

I had to laugh because I was just thinking of how that fight would go with that challenge play through as I was loading this thread up, then saw your post.

Just beat Smough and Ornstein. How hard were these pair of mofos in the scale of hardest bosses in the game?

Tough, but very fair. It took me a long time to beat them, but I never got angry because there's no bullshit in this fight. Just you against a dude with a spear and another guy with a hammer. Now I can clown these guys without even trying and it's my favorite boss fight in the game.

Hardest for me are Nito, Four Kings, and Bed. Although I like doing co-op for 4K because it's a legitimate challenge even as a group. When you co-op any other boss it's a cake walk.

I laid down stones and fell off a couple of times too. Then I finally said fuck it, I'm just doing this for a trophy anyway, and looked it up on youtube. STILL fell off. I've gotten the slab a couple of times now and I doub't I'd be able to do it in one shot.

huh interesting. i've only made two attempts at it and succeeded both times. don't know what to say to help, i just watch the falling snowflakes, drop prism stones and look around for any messages people might have left.

I just started playing Demon's Souls after finishing Dark Souls some time ago. Feels great to be back in a Souls world again.

I can't backstab for shit though! I never had any problems in Dark Souls. Can anyone describe the difference in how it works between the two games? I have my shield down.

Mike M

Nick N
You have to keep your shield down? Well shit, no wonder I can never get it to work, I practically never drop my shield.

oracrest

I just started playing Demon's Souls after finishing Dark Souls some time ago. Feels great to be back in a Souls world again.

I can't backstab for shit though! I never had any problems in Dark Souls. Can anyone describe the difference in how it works between the two games? I have my shield down.

I don't know the system verbatim, but it seems to me that at a certain angle behind an enemy/character, if you point your left analog stick in a parallel direction to how that character is facing, you will engage a backstab. It also seems that the facing of your character isn't too important.

Been doing co-op in anor londo and it's amazing how many hosts just randomly fall to their death. Especially in that first area with the white ninja people.

I don't know the system verbatim, but it seems to me that at a certain angle behind an enemy/character, if you point your left analog stick in a parallel direction to how that character is facing, you will engage a backstab. It also seems that the facing of your character isn't too important.

Cool thanks. I'll give it a try. I think Demon's seems to be a bit pickier about having the enemy be in an idle animation too. I usual circle after blocking an attack. I might be attacking too quickly.

Hardest for me are Nito, Four Kings, and Bed. Although I like doing co-op for 4K because it's a legitimate challenge even as a group. When you co-op any other boss it's a cake walk.

I haven't started really playing on Plus yet (just got to the Bell Gargoyles) but first time through, Nito was actually probably the easiest of the four Lord Soul bosses for me. The only tricky part is the skeletons that are around, but if you can deal with those quickly it's not really an issue. Four Kings, on the other hand, I only beat due to Iron Flesh, and that was before it was nerfed so I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be now.

I think the bosses I'm most anticipating on my second run-through are Smough & Ornstein and Sif. Both of those bosses were challenging but not cheap, and still really fun.

Sullichin

Ok, over 300 hours in this game and I haven't used a single miracle. I've been saving it for a playthrough where I get all miracles. However.. on my SL15 character I have the sunbro miracles (except the one you need Gwyn's soul for). Thinking of using that character for it... are the sunbro miracles the hardest ones to get for the trophy? I guess I could just BB glitch my remaining sunlight medals to a new character, cause I wanted to keep that guy at SL15.

And let me just say for the 100th time...Ornstein and Smough is the best fight in the game. Think it deserves a spot in video game history for one of the best fights ever. It's quite overwhelming at first and becomes more manageable through experience and patience. The music is also amazing. Finally beating them the first time was one of the most satisfying parts of my first play through, and having been through the game several more times, it still feels like the climax of the game, even though there's lots of content after it.

Booshka

There's only one Black Knight in the catacombs, right? Does killing him guarantee a bkGA drop?

No it's not 100%, so if it doesn't drop, just take your favorite weapon to Lightning +5 and you'll be alright. If you have high weapon skills (STR, DEX) then take the weapon to Normal +15 instead.

CatFeces said:
FTFY

Even better if it's a Greatsword +15.

You forgot Dragon Form +3 Shout and having a phantom do the Channeler Trident Buff.

I've run into a few ppl that stack buffs all day, it's funny to just spam them with pyromancy while they are casting half a dozen buffs. Then I get angry messages because they didn't get to deal the 1500 damage they were hoping for.

Trey

I just got this game in the mail and it feels so smooth. Controls are really solid and movement takes some actual thought. I'm going to enjoy this game thoroughly, I can already tell.

Booshka

I just got this game in the mail and it feels so smooth. Controls are really solid and movement takes some actual thought. I'm going to enjoy this game thoroughly, I can already tell.

Nice, enjoy it! If you need help you can ask the thread, but if you can brave it alone, you will enjoy it more in the end. You only get to play through this game blind once, so I would suggest it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom