• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

Nice, enjoy it! If you need help you can ask the thread, but if you can brave it alone, you will enjoy it more in the end. You only get to play through this game blind once, so I would suggest it.

Usually how I go. Last thing I needed was a game to sink untold hours into. Thanks though.

Two questions: I take it there's no pause that actually stops the game? Second, can you change the difficulty? I want to make sure I'm playing on the hardest setting from the get go, if there are distinctions.

Booshka

Usually how I go. Last thing I needed was a game to sink untold hours into. Thanks though.

Two questions: I take it there's no pause that actually stops the game? Second, can you change the difficulty? I want to make sure I'm playing on the hardest setting from the get go, if there are distinctions.

There is only one difficulty and no pause. But if you ever need to you can quickly Quit the Game and it will save exactly where you were and you will lose no progress. You just have to re-load from the Title Screen, but it takes seconds to quit so if you really need to Quit you can. Only exceptions is if someone is in your game as a co op phantom or hostile invader. In that case you have to banish the co op phantom or kill/be killed by the invader.

Trey

There is only one difficulty and no pause. But if you ever need to you can quickly Quit the Game and it will save exactly where you were and you will lose no progress. You just have to re-load from the Title Screen, but it takes seconds to quit so if you really need to Quit you can. Only exceptions is if someone is in your game as a co op phantom or hostile invader. In that case you have to banish the co op phantom or kill/be killed by the invader.

Thanks for the expedient replies. Preesh.

Going blind is fun, but I don't think there's any shame in asking for a little help here. I have. I treat it like being in a tavern with fellow warriors and adventurers discussing what may lie in the forest across the lake or in that deep, dark hell hole beyond the depths. Everyone has there own experience and you take in as much or little as you want or need and quest on.

Amazing community.

Blighttown (that hell hole beyond the depths) is damn crazy. I see a giant squid below that is begging to become fried calamari.

Booshka

Going blind is fun, but I don't think there's any shame in asking for a little help here. I have. I treat it like being in a tavern with fellow warriors and adventurers discussing what may lie in the forest across the lake or in that deep, dark hell hole beyond the depths. Everyone has there own experience and you take in as much or little as you want or need and quest on.

Amazing community.

Blighttown (that hell hole beyond the depths) is damn crazy. I see a giant squid below that is begging to become fried calamari.

Yea I have no problem with asking for help as well, I looked at a lot of videos, asked questions in the thread, and was talking to a friend almost the entire time I played. I don't regret any of it, but I see how people would think that is an inferior way to play this game. I play this game because I love the mechanics and the adventure of it, the challenge is just another part of it. I'm not the type of gamer that wants to bash his head against a wall trying the same thing over and over until I figure it out. I'll look for help and see how other people did it, then try to recreate their results.

Trey

Amazing community.

I won't be shy. I was thinking of posting my impressions as I went along.

Mxrz

I did Seath this morning (solo!) and then I spent the rest of the morning co-oping him for sun medals and souls. So many people die to the falls or clams. There was this one guy who had Smough's hammer and the boots of his armor. He one-handed the hammer and was even able to do fast flips. What kind of crazy stats would he need for that at sl70'ish? Just dump everything into STR/Endurance?

I wanted to play mostly blind, but I ended up checking the web more than I'd like. Some things just aren't explained very well in the game at all. Like how the Gravelord curse works. I tried it 3 or 4 times yesterday and never got invaded. Its a cool concept but it would've been nice if there was more feedback. Like if it told you for certain you've cursed someone or not.

sixghost

I just posted this in the gaming side, but I figured I'd have a better chance of someone recognizing this game in here --

Has anyone here played Shadow Tower?
24ekW.jpg

I stumbled upon it by chance after noticing that the cover of the game was eerily similar to some of the Demon's Souls/Dark Souls covers. Turns out it was made by FROM. The game controls like shit, but it's so reminiscent of Dark Souls its scary.

I'm only like an hour or two in, and I really have no idea what I'm doing, but it's pretty fun. It's fun to see FROM experimenting with all the shitty things they can do to you in games like these. I've already had skeletons pop out of graves after I looted their tombstone, fallen through floor, and just been completely creeped out by the ambient sound.

The only hint I've received as to the structure of the game was from a giant hamster who gave me some money then rolled away into a hole in the cave wall after telling me that 6 dimensions are run by 6 powerful demons. So it seems like there is a hub world(Shadow Tower), and 6 different dimensions that you can reach through some teleporting tombstone things.

So far, it's done a very good job recreating the feeling of my first Dark Souls playthrough, and the game is genuinely scary at times. It's a shame the game was never put on PC, as the controls are a nightmare. Up/down on the dpad moves you forward and back, left/right turns out, and L2/R2 make you look up/down. It doesn't help that tons of enemies are either extremely small or hang from the ceiling.

I doubt many of you have played this, since I could hardly find a single reference to Shadow Tower on GAF, or anywhere on the internet for that matter.

Four Kings, on the other hand, I only beat due to Iron Flesh, and that was before it was nerfed so I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be now.

Iron flesh is still viable but from my experiences over a few different characters it's been better to stay mobile and dodge a bit than to try and tank them. even with characters i built to be tanks.

are the sunbro miracles the hardest ones to get for the trophy? I guess I could just BB glitch my remaining sunlight medals to a new character, cause I wanted to keep that guy at SL15.

hardest or most time consuming? the bugs in the LI shortcut drop them reasonably often with the covetous serpent ring but if you are a member of the covenant you'll probably rack them up pretty quickly with co-op. you could park your lvl 15 guy outside capra demon or such and have them in no time.. after which you'll also have to farm souveniers of reprisal and eyes of death.

I've run into a few ppl that stack buffs all day, it's funny to just spam them with pyromancy while they are casting half a dozen buffs. Then I get angry messages because they didn't get to deal the 1500 damage they were hoping for.

awwww that's mean ;)

I just got this game in the mail and it feels so smooth. Controls are really solid and movement takes some actual thought. I'm going to enjoy this game thoroughly, I can already tell.

I played the demo of Kingdoms of Amalur yesterday and it's so floaty in comparison, your character turns in such wide arcs and can roll until the end of the earth in heavy armour.. which is just plain weird after playing this non-stop for the last few weeks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I did Seath this morning (solo!) and then I spent the rest of the morning co-oping him for sun medals and souls. So many people die to the falls or clams. There was this one guy who had Smough's hammer and the boots of his armor. He one-handed the hammer and was even able to do fast flips. What kind of crazy stats would he need for that at sl70'ish? Just dump everything into STR/Endurance?
Was he doing actual flips? Do you have the Dark Wood Grain Ring?

elohel

I just posted this in the gaming side, but I figured I'd have a better chance of someone recognizing this game in here --

lol

i actually bought this game because of a post like this

someone else mentioned how it was more similar to demons souls than kings field or something

so I snagged a really cheap new copy on ebay

it is really cool I think

i havent, but i would like to give it a try. ive played a few kings field games and they are fine, but i dont like them as much as i like dark or demons souls. maybe if i played them when they first came out.

Mxrz

Is there any way, short of high dex, to make bows do actual damage? For some odd reason I made an occult longbow. With 30 faith, it still does crappy damage. Would lightning or fire be any better? Or is there a Unique bow akin to Demon's Souls' Lava Bow?

Is there any way, short of high dex, to make bows do actual damage? For some odd reason I made an occult longbow. With 30 faith, it still does crappy damage. Would lightning or fire be any better? Or is there a Unique bow akin to Demon's Souls' Lava Bow?

yes fire or lightning would be better. pretty much all the magic/faith scaling stuff is junk. Dex/Str is better mainly because you can buff it, but i don't believe you can buff bows?

There is the darkmoon bow which does magic damage and you could stack it with moonlight arrows... i've never used it though so i don't know how it performs. A lightning black bow of pharis would probably be decent. Still, the trade-off is you can attack from miles away ;)

elohel

yes fire or lightning would be better. pretty much all the magic/faith scaling stuff is junk. Dex/Str is better mainly because you can buff it, but i don't believe you can buff bows?

There is the darkmoon bow which does magic damage and you could stack it with moonlight arrows... i've never used it though so i don't know how it performs. A lightning black bow of pharis would probably be decent. Still, the trade-off is you can attack from miles away ;)

what do you mean buff dex? how?

The Chef

Im lost.
Beginning of the game really - the Undead Burg. I made my way through this castle to a boss fight
Huge guy with a big club and archers shooting at you from above
. Beat him and then made my way to a long bridge with a dragon perched on the far side. Went below and through a short segment to the next are where I fought a wild bore and then got a Key from a corpse.

Now Im lost. I have no clue where to go. Ive backtracked a bit trying to find a door for this key. And there is just no way for me to get past that dragon. Where do i go?

Im lost.
Beginning of the game really - the Undead Burg. I made my way through this castle to a boss fight
. Beat him and then made my way to a long bridge with a dragon perched on the far side. Went below and through a short segment to the next are where I fought a wild bore and then got a Key from a corpse.

Now Im lost. I have no clue where to go. Ive backtracked a bit trying to find a door for this key. And there is just no way for me to get past that dragon. Where do i go?
Did you go through that doorway below the area where the boar was (under the bridge-like structure where the archers are)?

sixghost

Im lost.

There's a descending staircase near the gate, head down there.

It's easy to miss.

krakov

The Darkmoon bow is pretty decent and I've seen some good damage of elemental composite bows. Having a decent bow around makes the game a lot easier.

I haven't played the game in a while and did a bit of pvp at Kiln today, I noticed that I get significantly less souls for kills now. I never got more than 30-40 000 souls, usually much less. Did they change this with the patch? I remember getting a lot more souls before the patch, up to a few hundred thousand sometimes...
I'm sitting on two million souls now, does that mean that phantoms who kill me only get a small percentage of that or how does it work?

Sullichin

I haven't played the game in a while and did a bit of pvp at Kiln today, I noticed that I get significantly less souls for kills now. I never got more than 30-40 000 souls, usually much less. Did they change this with the patch? I remember getting a lot more souls before the patch, up to a few hundred thousand sometimes...
I'm sitting on two million souls now, does that mean that phantoms who kill me only get a small percentage of that or how does it work?

It's based on the level of the person you killed.
https://sites.google.com/site/darksoulstats/dark-souls-calculators/mini-calcs

Got careless in blighttown and got killed by a leech. So far away from the last bonfire. Is there one close by? Was heading to the left in the swamp and a note said "bonfire". Trolling or is it true? There was a whole gathering of leeches protecting an item which is where I was heading for reference as to where I was.

So my level is totally irrelevant? I find that hard to be believe because then some of the people I killed would have had to be 100 levels higher than me and the level cap for pvp is supposed to be something like 15% +/- your level, right?

Got careless in blighttown and got killed by a leech. So far away from the last bonfire. Is there one close by? Was heading to the left in the swamp and a note said "bonfire". Trolling or is it true? There was a whole gathering of leeches protecting an item which is where I was heading for reference as to where I was.

There's only one bonfire at the swamp, on the left if you come from blight town and on the right if you come from the Valley of Drakes short IIRC.

So my level is totally irrelevant? I find that hard to be believe because then some of the people I killed would have had to be 100 levels higher than me and the level cap for pvp is supposed to be something like 15% +/- your level, right?

There's only one bonfire at the swamp, on the left if you come from blight town and on the right if you come from the Valley of Drakes short IIRC.
Thanks. I'll make that trek later.

And I can seriously turn the game off at any time and start right where I left off? Amazing.

Thanks. I'll make that trek later.

And I can seriously turn the game off at any time and start right where I left off? Amazing.

Always exit the game to the title screen via the menu, if you just turn it off you risk corrupting your safe file - a friend of mine rage quit at the final boss and turned his PS3 off, his file got corrupted and he had to restart the game from the beginning.

Trey

Just started out fresh for the first time. Stumbled my way about the castle, learning the controls and such. It took a minute to become familiar with the controls and menus, so I probably looked goofy the entire time. Finally got some form of a grasp on it and made my way about the place.

The aura the game gives off is foreboding and mournful, which is to be expected from a game titled Dark Souls. I noticed my person looked rather dead, so I assumed I was undead or lacking humanity. I'll consult the OP for how that all works. I was very surprised by the iron ball of death that came down the steps. And only because I died did I find the hole it caused. I like the voiceovers the NPCs give. Really spooky. Took the guys flask and it was another day before I understood what it did.

I died more times than I care to admit against the Asylum Demon. He hits like a truck but it pretty easy to avoid. I just strafed behind it (way too much donk jiggle on that thing) after I got the pattern of its attacks down and eventually felled the hideous beast. Got my winnings and left to a congratulations marker. Did a bit of exploring on the cliff and found a nest. It wanted something warm and soft, so I started chucking fireballs at it. Didn't work as far as I could tell so I just initiated the cutscene to go to the next area, which is where I'm currently idling.

Talked to the guy sitting over by the way and he sounds like a jerk. Sat down at the bonfire and people started showing up every now and again. They where ghostly so I assumed they were other players.

Sullichin

Darkwraiths can only invade people at the same or higher levels to them. I believe cat covenant is the same way. But Darkmoon players can invade any level. They can be 100 levels above you.

Mike M

Nick N
If I left the Forest Hunters for the Chaos guild, do I need to pay for absolution to rejoin the Hunters?

Figure as long as I need to pay to get the pyromancer vendor in the swamp to stop hating me, I might as well try and off Shiva's ninja friend if I can rejoin without absolving my sins first.

Darkwraiths can only invade people at the same or higher levels to them. I believe cat covenant is the same way. But Darkmoon players can invade any level. They can be 100 levels above you.

I thought Darkmoons can only invade below their level?

If I left the Forest Hunters for the Chaos guild, do I need to pay for absolution to rejoin the Hunters?

Figure as long as I need to pay to get the pyromancer vendor in the swamp to stop hating me, I might as well try and off Shiva's ninja friend if I can rejoin without absolving my sins first.

If you kill Shiva or the ninja, you will have to pay, but if you just leave for another convent, you can rejoin the older convents without having to pay.

there is only one bonfire in the blighttown swamp, but there is another right at the beginning of the hidden area
great hollow
that you can access from near those leeches.

Sullichin

I thought Darkmoons can only invade below their level?

If you kill Shiva or the ninja, you will have to pay, but if you just leave for another convent, you can rejoin the older convents without having to pay.

I've never been a fan of being in the darkmoon covenant, but everything I've read says they can invade at any level.

Always exit the game to the title screen via the menu, if you just turn it off you risk corrupting your safe file - a friend of mine rage quit at the final boss and turned his PS3 off, his file got corrupted and he had to restart the game from the beginning.
But I can do that anywhere and start right there?

Solo

I'm having more trouble with this one than I can ever recall having with the first game. I just cannot beat Capra Demon or the Hydra (which I usually don't even reach as its the jesus projectiles that kill me). Ugh. Died enough times now on both that it's moved from challenging to frustrating.

I'm having more trouble with this one than I can ever recall having with the first game. I just cannot beat Capra Demon or the Hydra (which I usually don't even reach as its the jesus projectiles that kill me). Ugh. Died enough times now on both that it's moved from challenging to frustrating.

What kind of shield do you use when you fight Capra? Is it %100 physical? If not, then use such one. When you enter the fog gate, just run fast (Capra will probably do its two handed attack which hurts good) to behind it. Get rid of the dogs. After you do it, Capra won't be so difficult.

As for the Hydra, you can use the Golems to block its attacks and get rid of them. After that, just run fast and get close to it. If you are close enough, it won't do its ice attack.

PS: Good luck!

what do you mean buff dex? how?

i meant to buff a straight dex-scaling weapon, eg. casting magic weapon on an uchigatana or bandit knife +15 etc.

for the hydra
best results i found are by ensuring that you are running as downhill as possible, that way there is a chance the projectiles go over your head. once you are close enough he'll stop shooting and go to melee attacks

for capra, he can be a pain yes on your first time
it's the dogs that mess it up. Focus on dodging or blocking (need a good shield with high stability - upgrade a hollow, knights or balder shield) his first attack - it's the double overhead you probably can't block it at this stage - and get up the stairs to the left then at the the top go right to stand on the archway. this will force the dogs to come at you pretty much in single file and delay capra as he walks up the stairs. kill dogs, and then you can play with capra either by dropping off the ledge onto his head or if he follows you up, drop down and wait for him to come after you and whack him a few times while he's recovering from the drop.

Mxrz

Completely waltzed over the last couple of bosses in Demon Ruins, 4 kings, bed of chaos, etc. Hope NG+ ramps the difficulty back up. The bosses were just easier this time around. I miss Flamelurker & the False King.

Need a large weapon for pvp. I wanted to do either a +15 or +5 Fire Halberd (and i need the trophies, of course), but looks you can only get one of those per cycle, and I already used mine to craft a shitty unique scythe. I was thinking of using the "Scythe" but it looks more like a slash than a poke. The Great Scythe was recommended but I'm not so sure I could use the moveset to the fullest.

The Chef

So Im thinking that for making my character just a big ass tough mofo with super heavy armor and weapons I should just focus mainly on Strength and Endurance right?

Hydra beams are not hard at all. Run forward until you see the initial flash of the blast. Then Sprint to the side diagonally and roll or jump if needed. Then continue forward and repeat the sideways step in the opposite direction. I tended to just run around luring all the golems to chase me until the Hydra beams took them out.

Aselith

24ekW.jpg

I bought it from ebay a few months ago and I've played a small bit of it but I bought King's Field: The Ancient City about the same time so I've been playing through that first. Both very good games however I would suggest downloading ePSXe emulator if you have a decent PC and playing it on that because you can remap the controls to something more modern and it plays at a very nice framerate.

This and King's Field are the precursors to the Souls games. Elder Scrolls really should take some cues from these games because they did the first person melee combat right.

I just found out there's a translation of the followup, which is Shadow Tower Abyss from PS2, floating around so if you enjoy the game, you might look into that.

sixghost

So Im thinking that for making my character just a big ass tough mofo with super heavy armor and weapons I should just focus mainly on Strength and Endurance right?

Yes. Down the line consider putting some point in Faith. Being able to heal yourself makes you a much better solo and co/op player.

Keep in mind that if you're using the heaviest armors in the game, like Giant or Havel's, you're going to have a very slow roll and move speed. If you can keep your weight below 50%, you can use the dark wood grain ring to give you the fastest movement/roll speed even at that high weight.
I bought it from ebay a few months ago and I've played a small bit of it but I bought King's Field: The Ancient City about the same time so I've been playing through that first. Both very good games however I would suggest downloading ePSXe emulator if you have a decent PC and playing it on that because you can remap the controls to something more modern and it plays at a very nice framerate.

This and King's Field are the precursors to the Souls games. Elder Scrolls really should take some cues from these games because they did the first person melee combat right.
Is there anyway to transfer a save from the psx memory card to my PC? I wouldn't really want to redo the 3-4 hours I've played.

The Chef

Yes. Down the line consider putting some point in Faith. Being able to heal yourself makes you a much better solo and co/op player.

Keep in mind that if you're using the heaviest armors in the game, like Giant or Havel's, you're going to have a very slow roll and move speed. If you can keep your weight below 50%, you can use the dark wood grain ring to give you the fastest movement/roll speed even at that high weight.

That sounds amazing. Thanks for the info.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Nothing beats invading 3 ninja flipping giants armor dudes in the forest then having them spam the come at me bro emote when they kill you.

But it was nice when I invaded them a few more times and was able to get away and chameleon it up by the big cats until they got pissed and disconnected.

Aselith

Is there anyway to transfer a save from the psx memory card to my PC? I wouldn't really want to redo the 3-4 hours I've played.

According to this it's possible but it doesn't seem easy.

I'm telling you though it's worth it if you have a dual stick PC controller as you can map it for FPS-style controls that feel a lot better and it runs at a perfect 60fps. Game is butter smooth.

Dresden

Completely waltzed over the last couple of bosses in Demon Ruins, 4 kings, bed of chaos, etc. Hope NG+ ramps the difficulty back up. The bosses were just easier this time around. I miss Flamelurker & the False King.

Need a large weapon for pvp. I wanted to do either a +15 or +5 Fire Halberd (and i need the trophies, of course), but looks you can only get one of those per cycle, and I already used mine to craft a shitty unique scythe. I was thinking of using the "Scythe" but it looks more like a slash than a poke. The Great Scythe was recommended but I'm not so sure I could use the moveset to the fullest.

The halberd sucks ass, man.

The Great Scythe is amazing. The R2 does a ton of damage, has great range, decent speed, and probably the best sweep in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom