• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixghost

The halberd sucks ass, man.

The Great Scythe is amazing. The R2 does a ton of damage, has great range, decent speed, and probably the best sweep in the game.

I can vouch for this. I wanted to work toward the lifehunt scythe in one of my playthroughs, so I rushed through the catacombs around SL13 to get the great scythe. As long as I kept it relatively upgraded, it tore through everything until I turned it into the lifehunt.

It's probably just an illusion, but I prefer the normal attack animation on the great scythe more than the other halberd types. The heavy attack is amazing through.

The lifehunt is just another world of broken though.

elohel

I can vouch for this. I wanted to work toward the lifehunt scythe in one of my playthroughs, so I rushed through the catacombs around SL13 to get the great scythe. As long as I kept it relatively upgraded, it tore through everything until I turned it into the lifehunt.

It's probably just an illusion, but I prefer the normal attack animation on the great scythe more than the other halberd types. The heavy attack is amazing through.

The lifehunt is just another world of broken though.

huh?

what do you mean? whats wrong with it?

sixghost

huh?

what do you mean? whats wrong with it?

The lifehunt scythe? There's nothing wrong with it at all. It's ridiculously powerful when it's upgraded fully and you have high DEX. Combine that with a bloodshield or bloodbite ring and some red moss, and you really don't need to worry about the bleeding downside.

Plus, its bleed buildup and bleed damage is huge in PvE.

The lifehunt scythe? There's nothing wrong with it at all. It's ridiculously powerful when it's upgraded fully and you have high DEX. Combine that with a bloodshield or bloodbite ring and some red moss, and you really don't need to worry about the bleeding downside.

Plus, its bleed buildup and bleed damage is huge in PvE.

I believe it's bleed build up is the same as every other weapon that does bleed damage. 300 Bleed per strike.

Only Priscilla's Dagger does more, 500 bleed per attack.

Feep

Banned
Finally decided to boot this up after beating Rayman: Origins. I've never played Demon's Souls.

GAF, you better give me some awesome tips, because as of right now, this game is a trainwreck. Twenty minutes in, the game is putting me up against at least four consecutive battles against two skeletons, who I cannot separate effectively, who can take off half a healthbar in one swing, who close extremely quickly. The heavy controls of my warrior, combined with the endurance/stamina mechanic, make me feel unbearably unwieldy.

As of right now, I am *not* having fun.

CatPee

Finally decided to boot this up after beating Rayman: Origins. I've never played Demon's Souls.

GAF, you better give me some awesome tips, because as of right now, this game is a trainwreck. Twenty minutes in, the game is putting me up against at least four consecutive battles against two skeletons, who I cannot separate effectively, who can take off half a healthbar in one swing, who close extremely quickly. The heavy controls of my warrior, combined with the endurance/stamina mechanic, make me feel unbearably unwieldy.

Go in the direction the dude in the silver chainmail is facing.

All right, I can't help but feel that was a bit of a failure of level design.

Beatin' up some dudes now.

Make sure your weapon, shield & armor total weight is under 50% of your total max weight.
You can do a medium roll & medium walk speed.
If you equip armor & all that stuff under 25% of your maximum equip weight, you will do a fast dodge roll & fast walk/run. Your stamina will recharge faster as well.

Keep heading up, the other two places that lead down are for later.

Also always try to fight one enemy at a time & never in groups.

Feep

Banned
Make sure your weapon, shield & armor total weight is under 50% of your total max weight.
You can do a medium roll & medium walk speed.
If you equip armor & all that stuff under 25% of your maximum equip weight, you will do a fast dodge roll & fast walk/run. Your stamina will recharge faster as well.

Keep heading up, the other two places that lead down are for later.

Also always try to fight one enemy at a time & never in groups.
Yeah, I found out the "leading down" places myself. Though, on the first one, I managed to lure the armored guy out, pick up the Blue Sapphire Ring, and Homeward Bone before he could kill me.

The boss atop the tower wall is ridiculously difficult. I'm liking the battle system more now (I like the "guard impact"-like Soul Calibur mechanic), but it all feels pretty extraneous against that guy.

Yeah, I found out the "leading down" places myself. Though, on the first one, I managed to lure the armored guy out, pick up the Blue Sapphire Ring, and Homeward Bone before he could kill me.

The boss atop the tower wall is ridiculously difficult. I'm liking the battle system more now (I like the "guard impact"-like Soul Calibur mechanic), but it all feels pretty extraneous against that guy.

If you have a decent shield, you can block most of his attacks, so don't get scared. You are safe between his legs. If you have gold pine resin, it works good against that guy. Did you kill the archers on the tower? (By the way, you can run fastly to the tower, just when he is under you, fall and hit him on his head and do super damage.

Taurus Demon? He's probably the easiest boss on the game, when he appears run back to the entrance, climb up the wall and then do a two-handed jump attack when he looks up (press r1 while falling), you shouldn't have to do it more than 2 or 3 times.

But I can do that anywhere and start right there?

Yes.

Feep

Banned
Ah! Didn't see the ladder up. Killed him.

Off to bed for now...still not thrilled with it, but I'll keep going.

Completely waltzed over the last couple of bosses in Demon Ruins, 4 kings, bed of chaos, etc. Hope NG+ ramps the difficulty back up. The bosses were just easier this time around. I miss Flamelurker & the False King.

Need a large weapon for pvp. I wanted to do either a +15 or +5 Fire Halberd (and i need the trophies, of course), but looks you can only get one of those per cycle, and I already used mine to craft a shitty unique scythe. I was thinking of using the "Scythe" but it looks more like a slash than a poke. The Great Scythe was recommended but I'm not so sure I could use the moveset to the fullest.

4 Kings were so hard for me until i understand the depth of place (range of my attacks). I waltzed the rest of the game as well. But in NG+ game gets harder (more than Demon's Souls imho).

A few days ago, i wanted a suggestion about if i should keep going with Lightning Spear, i think it was you who said Claymore's moveset may fit me more. Now i can suggest you a spear, yes its much more different than halberd or scythe but when you get used to it, it just works great. Attacking safely behind a good shield feels so safe. But you have to be careful about your stamina.

Mxrz

If you weren't trained in pain and suffering by Demon's Souls, Dark Souls should be really challenging. But Really, the more you play it, the more cautious you'll learn to be. Dark Souls is a little more beginner friendly. I have a couple of friends who never made it out of 1-1 back in Demon's.

So I upgraded the Great Scythe to Fire+10 , and holy shit. People are right, that running R1 is f'ing deadly. After I made it, I threw on the hunter ring and managed to win a 1v2 in the forest. I charged in hitting the phantom with the running R1 and then finished him with a quick R2. Then I just kept hitting the host with run/dodge R1s. I seemed to recover too quickly for him to do anything but turtle. With a bit of luck, I won the next couple invasions too.

Is it easier to just farm Souvenirs of Reprisal in NG+? I'm trying to collect as many miracles/pyros as I can before NG+ and it looks like you need rank 2 in the Darkmoon covenant for Darkmoon Blade. I've not managed to invade anyone yet with the Blue Eye Orb, and the ring has had about a 5-10min wait only to get ambushed as soon as I spawn in. But I picked up 2 Souvenirs from the harpy things back in the Painted World, I believe.

Co-Oping at the bed of Chaos has proven too annoying for me. Can't blame the hosts, I didn't know what I was doing there either my first time. Either the host gets knocked off, you get knocked off, or the host can't see your health in time to flask if you're about to be hit twice.

Is it easier to just farm Souvenirs of Reprisal in NG+? I'm trying to collect as many miracles/pyros as I can before NG+ and it looks like you need rank 2 in the Darkmoon covenant for Darkmoon Blade. I've not managed to invade anyone yet with the Blue Eye Orb, and the ring has had about a 5-10min wait only to get ambushed as soon as I spawn in. But I picked up 2 Souvenirs from the harpy things back in the Painted World, I believe.

Co-Oping at the bed of Chaos has proven too annoying for me. Can't blame the hosts, I didn't know what I was doing there either my first time. Either the host gets knocked off, you get knocked off, or the host can't see your health in time to flask if you're about to be hit twice.

You should have no problem invading with the blue orb at Kiln, most players there also wait at the entrance, so getting souvenirs there is a lot easier and faster than trying to farm them from enemies.

So after almost 200 hours of play, I finally encountered a Vagrant for the first time in Duke's Archive, but the crazy thing is, the Vagrant was buffed by a Gravelord! I was just jogging along when a sudden macross missile massacre came out of no where and instant killed me, I looked back to see a glowing red Vagrant 2 levels above me slowly crawling away. It was the first and only time I saw a gravelord in action, and it was on a Vagrant...

Soulhouf

I just posted this in the gaming side, but I figured I'd have a better chance of someone recognizing this game in here --

I love that game. Demon's Souls and Dark Souls take many ideas from it as well as the King's Field series.
And actually I like the control of the game. It's difficult and not intuitive at all but you get used to it.

BTW it would be great if FROM put the English version on PSN.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I remember when I felt exactly like Feep feels now in Demon's Souls... that was like 300 hours of combined game time ago...

I remember when I felt exactly like Feep feels now in Demon's Souls... that was like 300 hours of combined game time ago...

I've said it a couple of times here, but it's great remembering when I first got the game and I was getting my ass kicked by the Hollows and Taurus Demon, and now they barely even slow me down.

mxgt

Banned
I've said it a couple of times here, but it's great remembering when I first got the game and I was getting my ass kicked by the Hollows and Taurus Demon, and now they barely even slow me down.

Dark/Demon's Souls would be my #1 pick for a game I'd love to play through again without knowing anything about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dark/Demon's Souls would be my #1 pick for a game I'd love to play through again without knowing anything about it.
Absolutely. The feeling of unbelievable dread and your heart rate spiking constantly hasn't been reproduced for me in anything since the first time playing through Demon's Souls. The transition I had from pathetic, constantly Soul Form, frustrated low-level thief, to confident-but-wary rogue with my heater shield constantly raised, to the shields-are-for-pussies ninja you see in this (sad quality) video with enough MP to cast Firestorm...

Playing through that game the first time was just an all-around great, rewarding experience and one of my all-time favorites. The frustrations I had in the first 4 or 5 hours make me like it even better looking back, concerning how much of a joke it is to tear through 1-1 once you know what you're doing.

Dark Souls is on my list of favorite games as well, and mechanically as a video game I actually like it better (LOVE the open world and
traveling between bonfires
), but nothing compares to the initial feeling of "holy god I am not prepared for this" being slowly overcome during your first-ever playthrough.

The Chef

Man I am having a terrible time with this Moonlight
Butterfly
boss. T_T
Is there a better way to dodge these attacks then me rolling around like a maniac?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I constantly ran/rolled in one direction to either end rather than running back and for a lot. Also depending which side it's on you can stand in front of that wall and some attacks will be blocked. That one was tricky for me though, cause I had to wait for it to land, then dodge that stupid BOOM.

Man I am having a terrible time with this Moonlight
Butterfly
boss. T_T
Is there a better way to dodge these attacks then me rolling around like a maniac?

If you are in human form, you can also summon a phantom (i can't remember the name) when you enter the tower, under the stairs, in the grass.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
All right, I can't help but feel that was a bit of a failure of level design.

Beatin' up some dudes now.
Wrong. The game gives you hints if you talk and ask npc's and part of Dark Soul's design is that it is open world: it doesn't hold your hand and say 'no little one shouldn't go here yet' it lets you go wherever you like and find out for yourself if the enemies are too much yet for you to handle.

joe2187

Banned
I'm having a hard time making a dent in the Stray Demon at the revisit to the Undead Asylum.

Damn guy keeps blasting my ass with this wind that goes through all my shield and armor! with 90% damage with each hit!

I've got the Stone armor on with a Eagle shield and Lightning spear +3, Which I think is the strongest set for me currently.

Also, I'm still not quite sure how I summon the guy who gave me the Sun Medal, or what I need to do In order to leave my own summon sign, Everytime I regain my humanity and face the next boss It never allows me to place the summon.

I'm having a hard time making a dent in the Stray Demon at the revisit to the Undead Asylum.

Damn guy keeps blasting my ass with this wind that goes through all my shield and armor! with 90% damage with each hit!

I've got the Stone armor on with a Eagle shield and Lightning spear +3, Which I think is the strongest set for me currently.
Stay behind him at all cost. The wind won't hit you if you're right behind him.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wrong. The game gives you hints if you talk and ask npc's and part of Dark Soul's design is that it is open world: it doesn't hold your hand and say 'no little one shouldn't go here yet' it lets you go wherever you like and find out for yourself if the enemies are too much yet for you to handle.
Honestly, it's not necessary to even say this. I get why he could be disoriented in the initial couple hours; I got lucky and didn't try the catacombs when starting out, he happened to go the "wrong way." Before seeing much of the game as a whole I can understand how it could be mistaken for bad design, but the world of Dark Souls is so masterfully crafted that it will become totally obvious to anyone who sticks with it. The first shortcut that brought me back to Firelink was such an OHHHHHH moment for me. I tip my hat to From.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That's true, I guess I was a little defensive about the game and forgot how frustrated I was with it when I first played. Apologies Feep.

I remember when I first hit Blighttown there was a period of about 3-4 days where the game sat in its case on my desk because I was certain I was going to return it because I was so mad.

The Chef

I constantly ran/rolled in one direction to either end rather than running back and for a lot.

Crest Shield is great against magic if you have it.

If you are in human form, you can also summon a phantom (i can't remember the name) when you enter the tower, under the stairs, in the grass.

Great thanks for the help. Im definitely going to be using that summon - thats the only thing that saved me during the Gargoyle fight.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Welcome to Demon's Souls 2. :D

Also lower your equipment weight. It'll make you faster.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's true, I guess I was a little defensive about the game and forgot how frustrated I was with it when I first played. Apologies Feep.

I remember when I first hit Blighttown there was a period of about 3-4 days where the game sat in its case on my desk because I was certain I was going to return it because I was so mad.
:lol

Blighttown and its equivalent in DS (the Valley of Defilement) were real "okay how do I get the fuck out of here as quickly as possible" ordeals. I probably missed a bunch of goodies down there.

Great thanks for the help. Im definitely going to be using that summon - thats the only thing that saved me during the Gargoyle fight.

That summon can literally fight the Butterfly completely unaided. You can put your controller down after entering the fog door, and she'll go to fucking town on that butterfly like it ain't no thang.

I would always advice to summon the witch for the Moonlight Butterfly fight, because if you don't she won't be around for one of the most difficult fights of the game (
Four Kings
) later on.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That summon can literally fight the Butterfly completely unaided. You can put your controller down after entering the fog door, and she'll go to fucking town on that butterfly like it ain't no thang.
Wow, who is it?

I love the NPC Phantoms in this game, one of my favorite additions to Demon's Souls. It's a great feeling the game is rewarding you for being in human form, risking invasion, and making it to a boss without dying.

I had Solaire, Lautrec, and a human phantom help me with the Gargoyles. All three died during the fight and I got the deathblow and cut off the tail on one. I really wished I had the Prayer emote to use afterward. I did message the human one and thank him.

I would always advice to summon the witch for the Moonlight Butterfly fight, because if you don't she won't be around for one of the most difficult fights of the game (
Four Kings
) later on.
Yeah I missed out on that. I basically needed two humans helping me to beat those guys.

Wow, who is it?

I love the NPC Phantoms in this game, one of my favorite additions to Demon's Souls. It's a great feeling the game is rewarding you for being in human form, risking invasion, and making it to a boss without dying.

I had Solaire, Lautrec, and a human phantom help me with the Gargoyles. All three died during the fight and I got the deathblow and cut off the tail on one. I really wished I had the Prayer emote to use afterward. I did message the human one and thank him.

Yeah I missed out on that. I basically needed two humans helping me to beat those guys.

You summoned three people? That must have been a bug, I'm pretty sure the game only allows for four players in one world (max 2 summons + 1 invader, or 1 summon + 2 invaders). When I summoned one NPC and one player phantom all summon signs became invisible.

For me Moonlight Butterfly was easily the easiest early game boss. If you are a melee-type at all, it's just a cakewalk. Keep weight below 50%, stand in front of the boss all the time, when she does the attack just roll to side couple of times and return. Keep doing it until the boss comes close and finish it off with couple of attacks.

And for Feeb the game gets so much easier after you get the basics down (so about after ringing the first bell). It's still challenging and rewarding thou

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You summoned three people? That must have been a bug, I'm pretty sure the game only allows for four players in one world (max 2 summons + 1 invader, or 1 summon + 2 invaders). When I summoned one NPC and one player phantom all summon signs became invisible.
Do you think that definitely applies to multiple NPCs? I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that fight right. Maybe it was a bug with Solaire and Lautrec for that one instance. Nobody invaded me at all during that stretch of being human, so I can't say what would've happened.

sixghost

For me Moonlight Butterfly was easily the easiest early game boss. If you are a melee-type at all, it's just a cakewalk. Keep weight below 50%, stand in front of the boss all the time, when she does the attack just roll to side couple of times and return. Keep doing it until the boss comes close and finish it off with couple of attacks.

And for Feeb the game gets so much easier after you get the basics down (so about after ringing the first bell). It's still challenging and rewarding thou

It depends on your total HP and if you have a good anti-magic shield. I had to fight it once at a very low level and only a broken wooden shield, and it was a much more difficult fight.

My summon must have gotten brain damage. When I fought the Butterfly I summoned her and she did nothing. I had to kill it myself. She cast like one spell the entire fight.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Steep ain't even the word for the learning curve in this game. Jeez.
Yup, it's pretty much unprecedented. You gotta learn to love it every time you die (unless it seriously wasn't your fault, like a glitched invader or whatever).

Apdiddy

I don't know if I'm underlevelled or if my equipment/weapons suck, but I can't seem to get past either Sen's Fortress or beat the boss for Darkroot Gardens. Sen's Fortress due to the atrocious trap design (boulders and the swinging blades seem to one-hit kill me AND are next to impossible to side step around) or the boss for Darkroot Gardens taking off too much health/stamina even with SL49.

I think I'm going to take a break with this game - I doubt very seriously I will finish it due to the above shitty sections of the game.

Trey

Okay, I ran around aimless for a bit. Went to an area where I definitely wasn't supposed to be. There was a sleeping dragon on a cliffside. I ran and grabbed all the loot from the fallen dudes and ran out of there. The dragon seemed none too pleased by my shenanigans. Now I have a huge ass shield and a sword I apparently can't equip properly. I don't know how to ascertain the requirements so I try it every so often after I level up.

I'm a pyromancer and so far I'm just speccing into Strength, Endurance, Dexterity and Intelligence.

Right now I finally figured out the correct way to go and I'm at the Undead Burg. I know you can chop that dragon's tail off but it won't come down and face me. Just ignored it and took the bitch-made route under the bridge. Went through all that nonsense and went into some cathedral looking building. A mark warned to look left but when I did some giant of a humanoid, fully knighted-out with a shield larger than me smacked me in the back of the head from the right. I made tracks to the building with the bonfire and smith and started chucking fireballs at the dude. He fell without much argument after that. Ah, my first troll marking.

There's just so many places to go. So confusing.

Edit: Just now figured out how to determine whether I can wield a weapon or not. Man, I'm slow.

I don't know if I'm underlevelled or if my equipment/weapons suck, but I can't seem to get past either Sen's Fortress or beat the boss for Darkroot Gardens. Sen's Fortress due to the atrocious trap design (boulders and the swinging blades seem to one-hit kill me AND are next to impossible to side step around) or the boss for Darkroot Gardens taking off too much health/stamina even with SL49.

I think I'm going to take a break with this game - I doubt very seriously I will finish it due to the above shitty sections of the game.

Are you referring to the Butterfly or the other one? If you can give a bit more info on your status, maybe we can help.

Okay, I ran around aimless for a bit. Went to an area where I definitely wasn't supposed to be. There was a sleeping dragon on a cliffside. I ran and grabbed all the loot from the fallen dudes and ran out of there. The dragon seemed none too pleased by my shenanigans. Now I have a huge ass shield and a sword I apparently can't equip properly. I don't know how to ascertain the requirements so I try it every so often after I level up.

I'm a pyromancer and so far I'm just speccing into Strength, Endurance, Dexterity and Intelligence.

Right now I finally figured out the correct way to go and I'm at the Undead Burg. I know you can chop that dragon's tail off but it won't come down and face me. Just ignored it and took the bitch-made route under the bridge. Went through all that nonsense and went into some cathedral looking building. A mark warned to look left but when I did some giant of a humanoid, fully knighted-out with a shield larger than me smacked me in the back of the head from the right. I made tracks to the building with the bonfire and smith and started chucking fireballs at the dude. He fell without much argument after that. Ah, my first troll marking.

There's just so many places to go. So confusing.

Yes, you were at the wrong place. If you remember the central burg bonfire (where there is a ladder) around that place is a merchant. You can buy small bow from him. and with it, under the bridge, you can shoot the dragon's tail off (you will get the item directly). After you get that sword, it will help you a lot. Also there is an elevator near that knight, you can use it to get to Firelink Shrine. Also why are you upgrading your intelligence? Pyromancy Flame is upgraded via NPC's, Intelligence doesn't helps it (only helps the attack you do with R2 (its useless)). Your first priority should be getting that sword, the rest will be easy. Also After you kill that knight, did you get the soul behind it? If you give it to the NPC under Firelink, it will upgrade your Flask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom