• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT4| Victory achieved for Scamco, text defeated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know if I'm underlevelled or if my equipment/weapons suck, but I can't seem to get past either Sen's Fortress or beat the boss for Darkroot Gardens. Sen's Fortress due to the atrocious trap design (boulders and the swinging blades seem to one-hit kill me AND are next to impossible to side step around) or the boss for Darkroot Gardens taking off too much health/stamina even with SL49.

I think I'm going to take a break with this game - I doubt very seriously I will finish it due to the above shitty sections of the game.
Man, it's funny that people have such vastly different experiences with this game. I loved Sen's Fortress and Darkroot, as well as Anor Londo which a lot of people had trouble with.

I absolutely tore through Sen's Fortress. It was just very well-suited to my playstyle, I guess. Trust me, the trap design is not atrocious ;) The swinging blades shouldn't one hit kill you, but more importantly, you shouldn't have to side-step them, you can just time it and run through. As far as the boulders
you eventually get to stop them entirely

Which boss in Darkroot are you talking about? Sif took me a large number of tries as well; but the grinding spot you can take advantage of near there is awesome for times you get stuck.

The hardest areas in the game for me were definitely Tomb of the Giants, the Duke's Archives, and New Londo (though I gained new confidence
after you drain the water. Those dudes are so backstabbable.
)

Man, it's funny that people have such vastly different experiences with this game. I loved Sen's Fortress and Darkroot, as well as Anor Londo which a lot of people had trouble with.

I absolutely tore through Sen's Fortress. It was just very well-suited to my playstyle, I guess. Trust me, the trap design is not atrocious ;) The swinging blades shouldn't one hit kill you, but more importantly, you shouldn't have to side-step them, you can just time it and run through. As far as the boulders
you eventually get to stop them entirely

Which boss in Darkroot are you talking about? Sif took me a large number of tries as well; but the grinding spot you can take advantage of near there is awesome for times you get stuck.

The hardest areas in the game for me were definitely Tomb of the Giants, the Duke's Archives, and New Londo (though I gained new confidence
after you drain the water. Those dudes are so backstabbable.
)

Catacombs was so hard for me. I didnt have a Divine Weapon and was too lazy to get one, so i completed it by just running past enemies. It was so funny, wish i had taken a video of that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Catacombs was so hard for me. I didnt have a Divine Weapon and was too lazy to get one, so i completed it by just running past enemies. It was so funny, wish i had taken a video of that.

I would do the same and kill the necromancers, that negates the need for the weapon.

I would do the same and kill the necromancers, that negates the need for the weapon.

how does this work? i just killed one necromancer. does that mean certain skeletons wont regenerate, or do i have to kill all necromancers to stop all skeletons from regenerating?

i guess i could check this myself, but as i have mentioned in this thread before, i dont live in the same state as my ps3 for the time being.

Flies in Blighttown.

I WILL KILL THEM ALL. OVER AND OVER.

i know that feel bro. Throwing knives are your friend here.

I don't know if I'm underlevelled or if my equipment/weapons suck, but I can't seem to get past either Sen's Fortress or beat the boss for Darkroot Gardens. Sen's Fortress due to the atrocious trap design (boulders and the swinging blades seem to one-hit kill me AND are next to impossible to side step around) or the boss for Darkroot Gardens taking off too much health/stamina even with SL49.

I think I'm going to take a break with this game - I doubt very seriously I will finish it due to the above shitty sections of the game.

All of the traps in Sen's are avoidable, in that you are never "forced" into taking damage from them. It can help with the blades to tilt the camera overhead a bit so you can see the gaps better, in some spaces eg. they have two blades close together, a gap, another two etc. Avoiding the boulders completely requires some careful exploration.

For the Darkroot boss, assuming you mean
Sif, the doggy
it sounds like your shield might be the issue. The most important stat for shields (after phys. damage reduction, which generally should be 100) is Stability. Higher stability will reduce the amount of stamina depleted on a hit, and since with 100 dmg reduction you only take damage when a hit goes through all your stamina this can have a dramatic effect on survivability. Stability is increased by upgrading the shield at a blacksmith. Have a look through for the shield with the highest number there, upgrade it if you can, and try again :)

how does this work? i just killed one necromancer. does that mean certain skeletons wont regenerate, or do i have to kill all necromancers to stop all skeletons from regenerating?

the first one. groups of enemies are regenerated by particular necromancers. some of them are well hidden though. these days i usually just craft up a divine reinforced club or similar, nothing too fancy but it does the job even a cruddy +2 one will get you through.

i know that feel bro. Throwing knives are your friend here.

All of the traps in Sen's are avoidable, in that you are never "forced" into taking damage from them. It can help with the blades to tilt the camera overhead a bit so you can see the gaps better, in some spaces eg. they have two blades close together, a gap, another two etc. Avoiding the boulders completely requires some careful exploration.

For the Darkroot boss, assuming you mean
Sif, the doggy
it sounds like your shield might be the issue. The most important stat for shields (after phys. damage reduction, which generally should be 100) is Stability. Higher stability will reduce the amount of stamina depleted on a hit, and since with 100 dmg reduction you only take damage when a hit goes through all your stamina this can have a dramatic effect on survivability. Stability is increased by upgrading the shield at a blacksmith. Have a look through for the shield with the highest number there, upgrade it if you can, and try again :)

i had a ton of trouble with sif until i went and found the eagle shield. completely changes the fight because of its high stability. worth the trip back to blighttown. now i am considering going back to blighttown again since i never got the iaito.

the first one. groups of enemies are regenerated by particular necromancers. some of them are well hidden though. these days i usually just craft up a divine reinforced club or similar, nothing too fancy but it does the job even a cruddy +2 one will get you through.

thanks. i made a divine scimitar +4 or something just for the area. probably wont get a chance to play until friday though. may actually be able to finish the game next weekend, which would be great.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

i guess i could check this myself, but as i have mentioned in this thread before, i dont live in the same state as my ps3 for the time being.

Each section has it's own necromancer.

Kill the one for that section and all the skeletons in that area won't regen.

How should I level my sorcerer character ? I was thinking INT/VIT/DEX and a little bit of atunement (I have no idea how many slots I'd need since my last character was melee), good idea ?

Sif was rather hard until I found a good way to approach the battle. Just walk backwards with your shield up (I used the Crystal Shield) until Sif does the double spin attack. After the attack ends, switch to two handed, run to the enemy and strike as many times you can and then back away until Sif does the attack again. Every other move you either block or avoid, just stay back and you can beat the battle without taking damage but it might take a while.

I just beat Pinwheel and I am thinking about starting Gravelording but I have beaten all the bosses in the areas that could be good for Gravelording. It does sound really interesting/tempting anyway.

Verelios

Sif was rather hard until I found a good way to approach the battle. Just walk backwards with your shield up (I used the Crystal Shield) until Sif does the double spin attack. After the attack ends, switch to two handed, run to the enemy and strike as many times you can and then back away until Sif does the attack again. Every other move you either block or avoid, just stay back and you can beat the battle without taking damage but it might take a while.

That seems a hell of a lot easier than what I did. I just circled him, dodged when he attacked, then got in range and hit one-two, backstep, see how he's doing and if I can pull out my bow, I get ready with it, then circle again. That's how I tackle all the bosses...

I'm having a hard time making a dent in the Stray Demon at the revisit to the Undead Asylum.

Damn guy keeps blasting my ass with this wind that goes through all my shield and armor! with 90% damage with each hit!

I've got the Stone armor on with a Eagle shield and Lightning spear +3, Which I think is the strongest set for me currently.

Also, I'm still not quite sure how I summon the guy who gave me the Sun Medal, or what I need to do In order to leave my own summon sign, Everytime I regain my humanity and face the next boss It never allows me to place the summon.

Those blast attacks are magic based. so un-equip all your armor & shields & re-equip ones that specially have the best magic defense. Stay close to him at all times & he will only do a butt slam & you can close in & hit him as he recovers.

Also you need to be in human form to summon & with the white soapstone.

How should I level my sorcerer character ? I was thinking INT/VIT/DEX and a little bit of atunement (I have no idea how many slots I'd need since my last character was melee), good idea ?

Homing Soulmass, Soul Spear & Heavy Souls arrow are the three go to spells early on & you can buy multiples of them later on to stack.
Have at least 3 attunment slots & then try to get 6 mid way through the game (before the S&O fight).

Finally decided to boot this up after beating Rayman: Origins. I've never played Demon's Souls.

GAF, you better give me some awesome tips, because as of right now, this game is a trainwreck. Twenty minutes in, the game is putting me up against at least four consecutive battles against two skeletons, who I cannot separate effectively, who can take off half a healthbar in one swing, who close extremely quickly. The heavy controls of my warrior, combined with the endurance/stamina mechanic, make me feel unbearably unwieldy.

As of right now, I am *not* having fun.

Hello. I just wanted to say that I was in the exact same boat as you. I had never played Demon's Souls, and the first few days of playing Dark Souls is a highly difficult, frustrating, and sometimes, not-fun experience. Eventually I noticed how excellent the dungeon designs were, and how creative and deep boss battles were. And then there's everything else you start to realize; once you start to understand how the world is and what you need to do to survive, it gets easier, and it always gets more fun.

I beat it yesterday, and I am currently going through New Game+. I say this because I NEVER go through games a second time. That is really a testament of how much I've grown to love this game. The only game that might be better than Dark Souls last year would be Rayman Origins, which I gave my Game of the Year nomination to in the GAF 2011 GotY thread. But now that's up for debate...Dark Souls has impressed me so much.

Keep with it. And come on these forums to ask questions; the people here are incredibly nice and helpful.

schwupp

need some help :) :
i´m at the gargoyle boss right now.
after watching some vids on yt of the bossfight i noticed that most do like 90-100dmg on the boss. i deal only like 40.
someone posted here that i only need to lvl up endurance and vitality.
in addition i cant use the claymore with one hand (only 13 str).

should i lvl up strength or what am i missing here?

after watching some vids on yt of the bossfight i noticed that most do like 90-100dmg on the boss. i deal only like 40.

You are missing a good weapon, which you can get from the Dragon by shooting a few hundred arrows at its tail under the bridge. (don't worry you will get that sword directly, it won't fall down the cliff). The sword requires 16 strength as far as i remember, so you should grind and level up. Also if you are not in human form but have humanity, use one, reverse hollowing then summon the phantom before the boss fight.

Edit: If you have any Resin, it is a good time to use it as those guys are weak against it.

The Gargoyles actually didn't cause me much pain, but I hear some people really have trouble with them. First, there is a great leveling up spot for that point of the game where one of the first bonfires are...there's a ladder you knock down to reunite with it. If you climb the ladder, go to the top, step a few feet out, and run back inside, you should automatically get 555xp each time. In an hour or two you can raise quite a few levels. This is gained by the Hellkite Dragon attempted to kill you, but he fails and instead kills everyone else instantly on the bridge.

I agree with those who said to raise endurance and vitality. Especially this early in the game, you want to make sure those are pretty high. Eventually start distributing some points to dexterity and strength--or every once in a while.

Also make sure you have the Drake Sword. It is by far the most helpful weapon in the game. I used it till the very last boss, in which I finally decided there were some better weapons out there. (I had built my Drake Sword up, though, for quite a while.) You can EASILY get this by putting 20-30 arrows in the Hellkite Dragon's tail. It has very low requirements to wield, so I am confident you will be able to use it.

Try to deal as much damage as possible to the first gargoyle because obviously his amigo comes moments later. Keep a distance. When one of them breathes fire, wait for him to spit it out to a side different from you, and then charge in and get a few hits. Have your shield up as much as possible.

schwupp

@valentine71 ya its 16 str. and yes i have 1 Resin - will try it. thanks!

@FateBreake since i ran through the gate already - the dragon is gone. can i get it to return?
First, there is a great leveling up spot for that point of the game where one of the first bonfires are...there's a ladder you knock down to reunite with it. If you climb the ladder, go to the top, step a few feet out, and run back inside, you should automatically get 555xp each time.
which spot do you mean?

edit:
google helped with the dragon question:
Note: If you 'skip' the dragon, he does not disappear forever- He will merely fly away. Upon returning, he may or may not be present. Often times running from Firelink Shrine or Undead Burg's bonfires to the bridge (via Taurus Demon bridge) is enough to get him to return.

Santiako

I feel like such a boss right now, I just beat Smough and Ornstein in my Level 1 run, I used the Darkmoon Seance Ring to have more Fireballs and a Fire Reinforced Club +5 to kill them. Man, what a rush.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Seriously, though Feep:

Everyone starts out like this:

ibiPCJ9FwKOgeS.gif

You get past all the bullshit in the level and make it up to the boss:

ib065PjW2B5nkK.gif

Then you fight the boss:

io0fQo6DaIVip.gif

Then you redo the whole level and make it back up to the boss.

Eventually, after a few of these wipeouts and getting back on the horse you come into a Demon's Souls and Dark Souls thread and are all

i5aoiMaQ6yFvt.gif
-like to the newbies.

I just wanted a reason to post these .gifs and make a wipeout reference. Seriously though, keep trying.

@valentine71 ya its 16 str. and yes i have 1 Resin - will try it. thanks!

@FateBreake since i ran through the gate already - the dragon is gone. can i get it to return?

which spot do you mean?

edit:
google helped with the dragon question:

As far as I know, the Hellkite Dragon will always be there to try and burn you to flames. The Drake Sword is acquired by sneaking below him while he's resting and destroying its tail. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QDCNzXeoQ

4:50 and before that: shows how to get the Drake Sword and where it's at.

5:30 area - this is which bonfire I'm talking about. At that point, go back up the ladder (the one he went down) and go ALL the way up back to the top of the bridge. Step a FEW FEET out, and then immediately go back down the stairs. You should get 555 free xp when you do this, after the enemies burn to a crisp. By the way, the mid-point between the bonfire and the top of the bridge is where you can strike the dragon's tail down and receive the Drake Sword. It takes quite a few arrows--around 30-50--but it IS WORTH IT.

As far as I know, the Hellkite Dragon will always be there to try and burn you to flames. The Drake Sword is acquired by sneaking below him while he's resting and destroying its tail. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30QDCNzXeoQ

4:50 and before that: shows how to get the Drake Sword and where it's at.

5:30 area - this is which bonfire I'm talking about

It flies away maybe everytime when you pass under it and reach the bonfire which is there.

@Scwupp, good luck :)

sixghost

Odds are you are neglecting to upgrade your equipment, since just about everyone makes that mistake. Upgrading your weapon once will increase your damage more then putting 2 points into your scaling stat, and upgrading your shield will cause you to lose less stamina when you get hit. Those things can make a huge difference.

The blacksmith near the undead parish both sells the item needed to upgrade your stuff, and upgrades your stuff.

i think its wrong to say you should only level vit and end early on. i think you should focus on them after you have enough str and dex to use a decent weapon, or whatever weapon you want to use. if you want to use the claymore level str to 16, then go back to vit and end.

schwupp

The blacksmith near the undead parish both sells the item needed to upgrade your stuff, and upgrades your stuff.

i´ve upgraded 2 items of my armor (titanite chunk - standard leather armor).
if i want to reinforce my weapons it always says that i cant do it.
i´ve tried buying the "+ standard weapon upgrade" thingie from the smith, but still cant do it.
so - which items do i need to upgrade my weapon/shield?
i have the knight shield and the standard longsword atm.
on my way to get the drake sword.

So I have a Fire Spear +max and am completely in love with it, but Havel (sp?)'s armor is starting to be a little less effective. I'm on New Game+. It's still good, but it brings me to a question:

Is there a general consensus on what the most powerful armor in the game is? Or for weapons? Or does everyone just have their own preferences?

i´ve tried buying the "+ standard weapon upgrade" thingie from the smith, but still cant do it.

You need to give him Large Ember or something i think, which you will get soon.

sixghost

You use the same items to upgrade armor, shields, and weapons, so that's weird.

Remember you need both enough titanite shards and souls to complete the upgrade. It's usually something like 200 souls per upgrade.

Also, make sure you have titanite SHARDS, not titanite CHUNKS. You get a few titanite chunks from the Black Knights early on, but odds are you won't be able to use those for a long time.

I would focus on upgrading your shield and weapon first, upgrading armor is necessary eventually, but it doesn't give you the immediate return the other two things do. If you are going to upgrade any armor piece though, focus on the chest piece and the legs. Generally those will give you the biggest increase in armor rating per upgrade.

schwupp

Also, make sure you have titanite SHARDS, not titanite CHUNKS. You get a few titanite chunks from the Black Knights early on, but odds are you won't be able to use those for a long time.

had 2 chunks - used them on my leather armor.
guess that was wrong :D (or was it?)

@all thanks for the hints. will try those tomorrow.

Trey

Beat the Gargoyles. Hand Axe to the face.

In my many failures, I used up all of my black firebombs, most of my regular firebombs, and one Gold Pine Resins. Shame you can't get those kind of items back upon death.

So I have a Fire Spear +max and am completely in love with it, but Havel (sp?)'s armor is starting to be a little less effective. I'm on New Game+. It's still good, but it brings me to a question:

Is there a general consensus on what the most powerful armor in the game is? Or for weapons? Or does everyone just have their own preferences?

Giant's Armor +5 is the strongest physical defense armor in the game, way more than Havel's. You can buy the set from the giant blacksmith.

Havel does have the best poise of any armor set though.

ijed

Beat the Gargoyles. Hand Axe to the face.

In my many failures, I used up all of my black firebombs, most of my regular firebombs, and one Gold Pine Resins. Shame you can't get those kind of items back upon death.

Firebombs you can buy from the merchant in Undead Parish, or farm the dudes throwing them just after the first bonfire.
Gold Pine Resin is much more scarce - but you can farm them from the mushrooms in the forest if you need.

Apdiddy

Argh, I give up on this game. Finally made it to the boss of Sen's Fortress only to lose 19K in souls to two f*ckin' lizard men.

Is it advisable to take a hammer and smash the game into little bits and mail the remnants to FROM Software's offices? Not saying I would do that, but they really need to be taken to task over quite a number of things in this game.

Sullichin

Argh, I give up on this game. Finally made it to the boss of Sen's Fortress only to lose 19K in souls to two f*ckin' lizard men.

Is it advisable to take a hammer and smash the game into little bits and mail the remnants to FROM Software's offices?

Haha. Did you miss the bonfire in sens? it's accessible shortly after you go outside, but it is not obvious.
you have to drop down off of a ledge to get to it
. Keep at it! My first time in Sens was frustrating, I screwed myself out of the lightning spear and died a bunch of times. But I thought the boss was pretty easy in comparison. It's now one of my favorite areas in the game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seriously, though Feep:

Everyone starts out like this:

ibiPCJ9FwKOgeS.gif

You get past all the bullshit in the level and make it up to the boss:

ib065PjW2B5nkK.gif

Then you fight the boss:

io0fQo6DaIVip.gif

Then you redo the whole level and make it back up to the boss.

Eventually, after a few of these wipeouts and getting back on the horse you come into a Demon's Souls and Dark Souls thread and are all

i5aoiMaQ6yFvt.gif
-like to the newbies.

I just wanted a reason to post these .gifs and make a wipeout reference. Seriously though, keep trying.
So true.

Trey

This game is so enticing when I'm not playing it (all I want to do is play it again), but so frustrating when I am playing it. Bravo.

Solo

So I finally beat Capra Demon, go down to the Depths and proceed to get cursed TWICE in a row. Fuck this game in the ass man.

Apdiddy

Haha. Did you miss the bonfire in sens? it's accessible shortly after you go outside, but it is not obvious.
you have to drop down off of a ledge to get to it
. Keep at it! My first time in Sens was frustrating, I screwed myself out of the lightning spear and died a bunch of times. But I thought the boss was pretty easy in comparison. It's now one of my favorite areas in the game.

I got the bonfire and the shortcut to the entrance and I still die repeatedly. I also
beat the giant throwing fire boulders too
and nothing is working.

Trey

Me:

Fuck this game. Just lost mad souls to some bullshit. Can I even get human form? No, cuz this bitch ass game wants to throw hax everytime I have some humanity on deck. Oh, really, the hitbox on that thing is larger than it looks? It's already forty fucking feet long. How the hell does this game expect me to progress when everything is so dark and dreary?

What's this now? A fucking swamp with poisonous fecal matter comprising 80% of the surface? Great. On top of boulder throwing neanderthals and period spewing mosquitoes. What fresh hell is this? I have half a mind to snap the disc in half--

A bonfire?! Fuck yes. Great gameplay!!! Game of the year, all years!

Mxrz

Try not to worry about souls when you're fighting through a new area. There will always be more souls. Learn from death and all that. The bosses in this game given so many souls compared to normal enemies, that dying mid level isn't too big a deal in the long run.

I was a bit confused by Talismans this time around. I went by wiki(dot)'s values and believing
Rhea's
Ivory talisman was better than the Thorolund Talisman I was using,
I killed her.
But its only better with 35+ faith. Doh.
Murdered her for nothing.

I'm teetering between raising INT to 12 (or 15 for more utility spells) in order to grab
another pyro flame from the egg-guy
, or trying to keep my sl within reason. Right now, I'd be about sl 125 if I took Vit, Endurance and Faith to the usual 50/40/50.
But I want that red slab from Snuggly. Could just use my current one, too. I've barely used pyro spells.

I got the bonfire and the shortcut to the entrance and I still die repeatedly. I also
and nothing is working.

can you be a bit more specific about what is going on? if you found the hidden bonfire near the top of sens you should be able to get to the boss in about 1 minute. can you describe where you are dying?

and nothing is working.

If its the boss fight which is hard for you, there is an NPC you can summon. I think its summon sign should be close by.

sixghost

Me:

Fuck this game. Just lost mad souls to some bullshit. Can I even get human form? No, cuz this bitch ass game wants to throw hax everytime I have some humanity on deck. Oh, really, the hitbox on that thing is larger than it looks? It's already forty fucking feet long. How the hell does this game expect me to progress when everything is so dark and dreary?

What's this now? A fucking swamp with poisonous fecal matter comprising 80% of the surface? Great. On top of boulder throwing neanderthals and period spewing mosquitoes. What fresh hell is this? I have half a mind to snap the disc in half--

A bonfire?! Fuck yes. Great gameplay!!! Game of the year, all years!

that's about right
If its the boss fight which is hard for you, there is an NPC you can summon. I think its summon sign should be close by.

TARKKKKKKKKKKUSSSSSSSSSSSS

I want to know if there's such a video with all enemies killed where someone walks through the entirety of the game just to show off its intricate level design. I imagine it would be tough but not impossible? Traveling the world, slaying everything without ever using a bonfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom