• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You've got a long way to go no matter which way you go. If you backtrack you'll have to get back through Blighttown into the depths, then through the depths back into Undead Burg.

If you press on you have a lot more Blighttown to go through before you get to a water wheel shortcut back up to the Valley of the Drakes, and then finally back into Firelink shrine.

Mistel

Banned
If he has my luck with drops it's best to not even try. I've never, ever, dropped a balder sword or a shield :(
It's worth it I got my first when I went in undead parish. Balder gear is nice looking too.
Is backtrack the only way? That seems far :( Is there no shortcut further on?
If you've gone in via the valley of the drakes you can take the shortcut to darkroot basin then go through the darkroot garden to the parish in about 5 minutes.

kionedrik

It's worth it I got my first when I went in undead parish. Balder gear is nice looking too.

I know it's worth it and that's what makes it painful. Damn it and the Kalameet tail...

@Oni Jazar
Don't you have a spare weapon? I had the same thing happen to me on my 1st playthrough in the same place and I managed to use another weapon (I think it was +1 or +2 at the time). It makes the whole thing a lot harder but it's doable and saves you a trip back. Just remeber to buy the boxes next time you visit Andre.

Oni Jazar

@Oni Jazar
Don't you have a spare weapon? I had the same thing happen to me on my 1st playthrough in the same place and I managed to use another weapon (I think it was +1 or +2 at the time). It makes the whole thing a lot harder but it's doable and saves you a trip back. Just remeber to buy the boxes next time you visit Andre.

I have some spares but they are much worse. I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and work my way back with a spare.

Thanks for the help guys!

If you just run past everything and don't rest a bonfire, you can homebone back to the Blighttown bonfire.

Homeward bones - halving your travel time since 2011. :)

Joei

I finally leveled up my END so I can wear the Black Iron set with the black knight great sword @ 50% wt and my goodness, does my character look freaking awesome. I can't wait to do some NG+ stuff with this setup.

Next I need to figure out a good equip set to I can effectively wear the wood grain ring.

ACE 1991

Starting a totally fresh character, what skill builds do you find to be most fun? Is there a good guide to a sword 'n' board/magic user hybrid type?

kionedrik

Starting a totally fresh character, what skill builds do you find to be most fun? Is there a good guide to a sword 'n' board/magic user hybrid type?

If it is any help:
This is my current build. I've cleared most of the game with it, only a couple of things left to do in Oolacile.
This is where I plan to take it. Still not sure of what my 2nd weapon will be or if I'll keep the Havel ring or switch it out for something else, which will force me to tweak my armor loadout.

Edit: Dunno why it didn't save my spells... Currently I have Great Combustion and Power Within or any form of Fireball. I'll switch to Crystal Magic Weapon and Crystal Homing Soulmass later.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am finally starting Dark Souls now after beating Demons Souls last year. Wish me luck!

Very nice to see how active this thread still is by the way, will definitely use it to gain some help when I play.

Morfeo

In Demons Souls I felt the melee combat was the most unique part of the game, and therefore played mostly a melee player with some ranged support. Is this more or less the same way in Dark Souls?

Mistel

Banned
In Demons Souls I felt the melee combat was the most unique part of the game, and therefore played mostly a melee player with some ranged support. Is this more or less the same way in Dark Souls?
Pretty much nothing stopping your from incorporating miracles though like the build I posted earlier to give some variety.

Melee is still the best suitable gameplay in DS and yes miracles have great sinergy with melee and few use or long range for easy aggroing

Mistel

Banned
Thanks guys, I went with a thief hope that will work out fine :)
Dark+Souls+tips+for+beginners.+i+ve+found+this+pic+some_7ce406_4772421.jpg

This maybe of some use.

Morfeo

Lol, love how they throw you against an impossible fight during the last few minutes of the game :) At least I had the experience to run away before I got killed.

Morfeo

Really? I tried to slash a few times, but it did so little damage that i didnt care to fight it. How can you do that?

Got to say that its amazing to be back playing a game like this btw, hope this is as bleak as Demons Souls!

Really? I tried to slash a few times, but it did so little damage that i didnt care to fight it. How can you do that?

Got to say that its amazing to be back playing a game like this btw, hope this is as bleak as Demons Souls!

Dont spoil yourself right now, continue playing =)

kris.

Banned
welp, anor londo has essentially broken me. just getting to the second bonfire was a feat all in its own, but the trek from that bonfire to O&S and the O&S fight itself have scarred me. i might have to throw in the towel for a few weeks.

Mistel

Banned
welp, anor londo has essentially broken me. just getting to the second bonfire was a feat all in its own, but the trek from that bonfire to O&S and the O&S fight itself have scarred me. i might have to throw in the towel for a few weeks.
You didn't light the third or open the main door to the hall? Both would cut your travel time.

kris.

Banned
You didn't light the third or open the main door to the hall? Both would cut your travel time.

i did, but it took me a few hours and now i'm stuck on O&S. i wanted to take out Smough first so i could get Ornstein's armor later. it's not working out.

wait third bonfire??

Mistel

Banned
i did, but it took me a few hours and now i'm stuck on O&S. i wanted to take out Smough first so i could get Ornstein's armor later. it's not working out.

wait third bonfire??
Summon Solaire for help. The third bonfire is where Solaire flirts with you. It's in the first room to the left after the archers.

mothball

I beat Gaping Dragon last night, and so far I've beaten all the bosses on my first attempt this run. It feels pretty amazing to oneshot them when they took 5-6 attempts on my first playthrough 2 years ago.

It was late, so I decided to just get to the Blighttown bonfire and quit. It turns out the bonfire was further in than I remembered, though. I had also forgotten about that breakable floor trap. And I had doubly forgotten about the grabbing attack that the undead there like to do.

45k souls down the drain.

I... I did it AGAIN.

I beat the game last Sunday but craved more, so I decided to play my PS3 version for the trophies (and to compare online activity--PS3 is indeed WAY more active than PC). "OK, now I definitely know how far in Blighttown's bonfire is," I thought. I carefully made my way to the first rickety bridge... and then decided that going for the Iaito jump would probably be safer.

I didn't make it.

So I make my way back down, shield out this time, playing it safe. I drag the first fatty back to the entrance ladder and block his attack.

I get pushed right off the edge. 30k souls down the drain.

I didn't even care about the actual souls; I was pissed at myself for doing the same mistake again.

Mistel

Banned
Have been fighting ghosts in new londo for the last few days.... then found out that I was supposed to fight the spider lady back at the bottom of blight town..... woo.
Well at least now you know that it's somewhere else you need to be. Did you actually hurt them at all?

Top Bottom