• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

kionedrik

And if you play the sequel you'll discover that not even this is true.

I am playing through it right now (PC player) and I understant what you're referencing, but, if you think about it, that's the only way to trully end the story, otherwise you end up in an infinite loop, so it makes sense that they did it like that.

PS: No need to point out that the game restarts in either case.

funkypie

Banned
I feel dirty and cheap now. I ended up getting the drake sword and using it 1 hand with a shield. then I also used the grind trick past taht crest.

made the gargoyle fight really easy and cheap. Then again i'm getting my ass handed back to me in the catacombs.

Mistel

Banned
I feel dirty and cheap now. I ended up getting the drake sword and using it 1 hand with a shield. then I also used the grind trick past taht crest.

made the gargoyle fight really easy and cheap. Then again i'm getting my ass handed back to me in the catacombs.
You could ditch the drake sword you know? Going for the rite of kindling in the catacombs?

Nordicus

Why does all the pros talk so badly about the Drake Sword? It seems pretty decent early in the game imo with its 200 attack power.
It enables bad habits, at least for Souls game newbies.

You play most of the beginning game with your rad Drake Sword, one-hitting a lot of the lesser enemies. You play fast and loose, get comfy with the mostly bad move set and might not play with other weapons because that early in the game it's almost unmatched.

Then you get to around Sen's Fortress, by that point regular weapons with scaling and easy upgradeability are caught up in the damage numbers with the Drae Sword. But your skills might not have improved as much.

So basically, what can happen is that because you haven't really learned to play Dark Souls properly with balanced/consistent weapons, you hit a difficulty curve that's twice as harsh as it is for most people once the drake sword becomes ineffective.

Inskipp

Not to mention how cost- ineffective the weapon is in general, since it requires dragon scales to upgrade and has absolutely no damage scaling, coupled with being the slowest swinging weapon of its class.

shiroryu

Why does all the pros talk so badly about the Drake Sword? It seems pretty decent early in the game imo with its 200 attack power.

It's a great sword, I always get it, it has a great two-hand R2. It's just that, as a melee build, if you're not upgrading a secondary weapon to take its place eventually, you will hit a wall, and newbies tend to blame the game at that point.

Also, if everything dies in one hit, it's easy to go #YOLO and then when things stop dying in one hit, you've got problems.

Finally, and I don't know if it's true of everybody, but Drake Sword tends to get caught on corners and walls far too often. A Claymore, even though it's bigger, does much better.

Mistel

Banned
  1. No scaling
  2. Upgrade materials for it are a waste on it
  3. Encourages bad habits
  4. Outclassed very easily
  5. Slow moveset
It's alright but don't expect it to do much for you at all.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ok thanks alot for the answers on the Drake Sword. The explanation makes sense.

For my own game (I am in Sens Fortress now where I just got eaten alive by a treasure chest), I am using a Claymore+9 which is much better than the Drake Sword, and I have used the Claymore more or less since I got it after killing the Kite Dragon, and played the whole Blighttown-part with it. Before that I used a regular and terrible Longsword with only about 100 in damage, and would have loved to have for instance the Drake Sword on the Bell Gargoyles, but whatever :)

Morfeo

I have a question, some times I just get another Estus Flask for no apparent reason. What causes this? Something yellow flashes on my screen, and then I get an extra flask (right now this has happened four times, giving me a total of 13 flasks).

I have a question, some times I just get another Estus Flask for no apparent reason. What causes this? Something yellow flashes on my screen, and then I get an extra flask (right now this has happened four times, giving me a total of 13 flasks).
Someone kindled a bonfire near you.

Morfeo

Someone kindled a bonfire near you.

Ah nice! I love how many strange game mechanics there are in these games that you dont really need to understand to play the game, but are just there for flair i guess. Like the bell ringing in your game when other people rings it etc. Awesome games to be sure!

Not sure what whoever changed this thread's title is talking about. Dark Souls 2 is pretty amazing.

Nope, still better than the secuel in most aspects.

Its good for early game but bad for mid and late game unless you just want to end the game and never play it again or not going more in depth in forging and upgrading stuff its the right weapon, it was intented to help you reach anor londo.

Ah nice! I love how many strange game mechanics there are in these games that you dont really need to understand to play the game, but are just there for flair i guess. Like the bell ringing in your game when other people rings it etc. Awesome games to be sure!

RIP cool mechanics in DS2

Silky

Banned
Fuck Blighttown. The Depths is the hardest area for me to go through, mainly because of my phobia of rats.

Jesus...

Mistel

Banned
I own a copy already. I'm just going through Dark Souls one more time before I play it.
lii.gif

You're going to love it.

Morfeo

I killed all the Titanite Demons from above with my bow, but when I was about to return I fell down from one of the bell and died lol. Really hope those items they drop are not limited and very important for forging later on!

And now I for some reason only give 10% the damage I did before, what is going on here?

Mistel

Banned
I killed all the Titanite Demons from above with my bow, but when I was about to return I fell down from one of the bell and died lol. Really hope those items they drop are not limited and very important for forging later on!
Not at all I hope you've got prism stones for it.

Morfeo

There is a respawning Titanite Demon later in the game that drops 2 Demon Titanite each time, so you can farm it later easily.

Great to hear!

Btw I just died on the exploding boulders the giant throws :( Sucks to go all that way again, not even sure I quite remember the way, but I guess I will find out. Why no bonfire in this huge fortress.

789shadow

Banned
Great to hear!

Btw I just died on the exploding boulders the giant throws :( Sucks to go all that way again, not even sure I quite remember the way, but I guess I will find out. Why no bonfire in this huge fortress.
The bonfire is............hidden. But you were so close.

Blight town...really sucks. I don't like the level design, honestly. It looks terrible, the enemies are lame, the performance here is terrible too. It's just an ugly terrible lame level. I wanna get out of here ASAP, I'm bored/frustrated to tears here.

Mistel

Banned
Blight town...really sucks. I don't like the level design, honestly. It looks terrible, the enemies are lame, the performance here is terrible too. It's just an ugly terrible lame level. I wanna get out of here ASAP, I'm bored/frustrated to tears here.
Tried the very tight backdoor entrance?

Morfeo

I just completed Blighttown a few days ago, and I heavily disagree with this. While not as great as Valley of Defilement of Demons Souls. and generally much easier than I had feared, I still think the atmosphere and design of this place is really good. The performance sucks though, no doubt about that.

So glad the boss is easy on the eyes. but, I got distracted and ended up getting kinda stuck in lava. I didn't notice, too busy staring at treasure.

I just completed Blighttown a few days ago, and I heavily disagree with this. While not as great as Valley of Defilement of Demons Souls. and generally much easier than I had feared, I still think the atmosphere and design of this place is really good. The performance sucks though, no doubt about that.

I guess I'm in the minority. It's an ugly, ugly area. Like someone took a giant dump. It's like I'm wading through a giant septic tank.

Morfeo

So glad the boss is easy on the eyes. but, I got distracted and ended up getting kinda stuck in lava. I didn't notice, too busy staring at treasure.

I guess I'm in the minority. It's an ugly, ugly area. Like someone took a giant dump. It's like I'm wading through a giant septic tank.

Lol, easy on the eyes indeed! I agree its very dark though, I cant play it during the day because it would be to difficult to see. And its kinda the point of it to be ugly I guess :)

Anyways, I just found the Bonfire, yeah! Nothing really stays hidden in this game with all the red messages everywhere :) So glad I wont have to traverse those swinging blades again!

Morfeo

I killed him on my fourth of fifth try. Was actually really easy when I just got some more courage and went closer, and after knocking me off the cliff a few times, it was my turn to anticlimaticly knock him off after only minutes of battle. Fun, but think it would have felt better to just do the whole fight normally.

Anyways, on to Anor Londo I guess.

Morfeo

Anor Londo is breathtaking - and a really change of pace for this otherwise very dark and grim game. Feels a bit like Boletaria 3 in Demons Souls which also was much lighter than the rest of the game. Anyways, guess its time to go to bed for now, but really looking forward to explore this place more. Also nice that I get to have 10 flasks again even without kindling!

Morfeo

It makes me sad that people say the game goes downhill from here, but even if it ended after Anor Londo, it would still be a decently long game (I think I have 30 hours on my save already), and just the quality of these first areas is enough for it to be probably my favorite game on the PS360 after only Demons Souls and maybe Street Fighter 4. Simply amazing, and I think about this game all day at work lol - truly a sign of a great game imo.

789shadow

Banned
Someone please explain to me why bonfires sometimes cannot be used.

Because I just made it past the Silver Knight Archer, only to find the bonfire inactive for no reason, then got killed by a Firestorming Invader.

Fuck you From.

Mistel

Banned
Someone please explain to me why bonfires sometimes cannot be used.

Because I just made it past the Silver Knight Archer, only to find the bonfire inactive for no reason, then got killed by a Firestorming Invader.

Fuck you From.
Answered your own question there invasions do that.

Top Bottom