• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I think post Sens Fort Dark Souls is piss easy. Sens fort and what comes after is ball crushingly hard. Those Snake Mages are real assholes.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think post Sens Fort Dark Souls is piss easy. Sens fort and what comes after is ball crushingly hard. Those Snake Mages are real assholes.

Really? Sens Fortress wasnt really that hard, and all the Snake Mages was easy to take out with a bow from the distance.

I had no idea the Ash Lake hydra could jump over you. I wasn't even sure it had an entire body modeled, but it does.

And it's huge. Wish there were pictures of it.

Someone please explain to me why bonfires sometimes cannot be used.

Because I just made it past the Silver Knight Archer, only to find the bonfire inactive for no reason, then got killed by a Firestorming Invader.

Fuck you From.

Bonfires aren't available if an enemy is in the same vicinity as you or during invasions/ summonings. I'm good enough at the silver archers part not to worry, but fuck anybody who invades there hoping to catch players who just got through.

Hey guys. I assume this thread is okay to talk about the PC version?

I'm wondering if anyone is playing this with a Dualshock 4. My 360 controller just shit the bed a couple days ago so I'm looking to get a new controller for my PC.

I'm in Tomb of the Giants for the first time right now but my button presses not always registering is giving me some trouble :p

Silky

Banned
lii.gif

You're going to love it.

See look THOSE rats look better than the ones in Dark Souls 1. You know the ones. The deformed, undead ones. Nightmare fuel.

Silky

Banned
There is a giant one of those deformed rats...

In the Depths? Yeah, I know, and I'm really considering just saying 'fuck it' and just skipping over to New Londo to get to Blighttown instead.

But then again i got dat black knight sword dawg, (which is the worst type of weapon for my build right now)

Mistel

Banned
In the Depths? Yeah, I know, and I'm really considering just saying 'fuck it' and just skipping over to New Londo to get to Blighttown instead.

But then again i got dat black knight sword dawg, (which is the worst type of weapon for my build right now)
There that one who is easy to kill then in the sequel there's:
WvRItnr.png

Inskipp

There that one who is easy to kill then in the sequel there's:
http://i.imgur.com/WvRItnr.png[/MG][/QUOTE]
They're both easy to kill, it's just that in the sequel they decided to add 4 fast toxic- inflicting rats to accompany the boss, instead of making the boss itself interesting.

Mistel

Banned
They're both easy to kill, it's just that in the sequel they decided to add 4 fast toxic- inflicting rats to accompany the boss instead of making the boss itself interesting.
That is a shame when I did it was just Sif with some minions to avoid. Boss quality is on par there's no asylum demon triplets, but there's some awful ones like the congregation or royal rat vanguard.

shiroryu

Perhaps, but the rats themselves don't generally attack you, except for the Large ones, and once you take care of Giant Rat, it's a slide down to the boss and a ladder up to the bonfire. It's amazing how short the Depths section really is when you know where to go. Even magic buffer dude gets taken out with arrows from the place where you emerge.

Morfeo

A little update on my game that is just getting started in the awesomness of Anor Londo.

I am at level 50 (which I guess is probably pretty high for this place), and have been mostly leveling Strength and Dexterity (which are both at 24 now). I guess this is pretty inefficient play, but I wanted to level dexterity to be able to eventually field a dex-scaling melee weapon with a good bow (which in Demons Souls usually scaled with the Dext-rating). However, I have recently started to scale strenght as well since my weapon of choice, the Claymore+10 scales just as good with both, and that gives me more flexibility to try out the various other weapons I find laying around.

I have also leveled Vitality up to 21 and Endurance to 18, and that is the only four skills I have levelled at all.

For my gear, it includes as said already the Claymore+10 and a terrible short bow (still the only bow I have found in the game) in the right hand, and the Balder Shield in the left (although I have been considering to change it with the Eagle Shield with its highly tempting 70 in stability). I then use the Gargoyle Helm which I just got here in Anor Londo, the Crimson Robe (which is surprisingly decent for its weight), Wanderer Machette and Balder Leggings, with Ring of Steel Protection and Covetous Gold Serpent Ring.

Morfeo

Ok, finally really got to start Anor Londo tonight, and fuck those heavy archers or whatever they were. They took some real skill (and luck) to beat.

Mistel

Banned
Ok, finally really got to start Anor Londo tonight, and fuck those heavy archers or whatever they were. They took some real skill (and luck) to beat.
There's a few more inside luckily you weren't invaded that would of really put a dampener on your mood. But the best boss fight in the game approaches I hope your ready.

entremet

Finished Demons and now playing DS. What should I know? I found DeS very esoteric in its design. World tendency for example.

Morfeo

Hahaha yeah, just charge at them and see you fall instantly

Yeah, that happened quite a few times before I managed to lure the first one to fall down. After that, the other was of course pretty easy.

There's a few more inside luckily you weren't invaded that would of really put a dampener on your mood. But the best boss fight in the game approaches I hope your ready.

I never get invaded because I am always Hollow - very practical in situations like that :) Looking forward to the boss!

Morfeo

Got to Siegmayer . the guy with the mushroom head or whatever, and then opened the door to and assumed I freed him. However, outside there was a heavy Silver Knight ambush - but I was certain I had already been there and wiped out those guys. Sucks if they actually spawned there after I went to the roof if that is what happened.

Nordicus

Finished Demons and now playing DS. What should I know? I found DeS very esoteric in its design. World tendency for example.
There are fewer elements like that. World tendency is not a thing anymore

Now instead of soul form and body form you have hollow form and human form, and the item you use to do this is called Humanity, which kinda works like souls in that there are consumable humanity items, and then there's humanity counter on upper left corner.
When at a bonfire, this game's version of an archstone, you use a single humanity to turn yourself human, and another to increase the amount of replenishable Estus Flask you get by visiting that bonfire. Grasses are gone, you mostly rely on Estus Flasks which you can't find, buy or loot.

There are covenants, which are factions that slightly change your game. The one you can get from the beginning is Way of the White, which doesn't do much except lower the chance of invasions slightly. Most covenants are PvP oriented, few co-op and one PvE. You can leave a covenant, but doing so will decrease any rank advancement you've made in it.

The attributes has been slightly altered. Luck was a worthless stat in Demon's Souls, now Resistance is the one you should avoid in Dark Souls.

Once you leave the tutorial area, there are 3 directions you can take, however 2 of those lead to sort of mid-game areas with dead ends (for now) and you should try not to arrogantly brute force your way through them unless you get a kick out of it. DS isn't quite as open in its progression as DeS, you're generally guided through one path until you've cleared the midpoint of the game

789shadow

Banned
Got to Siegmayer . the guy with the mushroom head or whatever, and then opened the door to and assumed I freed him. However, outside there was a heavy Silver Knight ambush - but I was certain I had already been there and wiped out those guys. Sucks if they actually spawned there after I went to the roof if that is what happened.
Those Silver Knights were inside the room you opened.

Morfeo

Those Silver Knights were inside the room you opened.

Yeah, I just realized. I already saw Siegmayer from the balcony earlier, so I thought I was going into that hallway I had already emptied. The knights are dead and our very heroic friend may continue his quest!

Btw, I really enjoy fighting these Silver Knights. You can easily take them out without taking damage if you are concentrated, but one mistake and you might be dead or at least loose a ton of health. Very fun fights that require patience, concentration and I guess some skill in managing stamina.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Yeah, I just realized. I already saw Siegmayer from the balcony earlier, so I thought I was going into that hallway I had already emptied. The knights are dead and our very heroic friend may continue his quest!

Btw, I really enjoy fighting these Silver Knights. You can easily take them out without taking damage if you are concentrated, but one mistake and you might be dead or at least loose a ton of health. Very fun fights that require patience, concentration and I guess some skill in managing stamina.

Lol, it is good that you like fighting them. You may be fighting them for a very long time.

Althane

So I got some time to play more today. Found my way into the Darkroot Garden and Basin through the Valley of Drakes.

Figured it'd be better to check out than Sen's Fortress (fuck that place). End result: Dead moonlit butterfly, and the hydra is a bitch.

Also checked out New Londo Ruins, but ghosts are a pain. I'm using a halberd, which murders everything else, but has a bad hit rate against ghosts unless I'm lined up perfectly right (in which case they die in one hit. Halberd+10 is pretty awesome).

What's a good weapon to switch to to make getting through New Londo easier?

(And, yes, I'm using transient curses, before anyone asks)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So I got some time to play more today. Found my way into the Darkroot Garden and Basin through the Valley of Drakes.

Figured it'd be better to check out than Sen's Fortress (fuck that place). End result: Dead moonlit butterfly, and the hydra is a bitch.

Also checked out New Londo Ruins, but ghosts are a pain. I'm using a halberd, which murders everything else, but has a bad hit rate against ghosts unless I'm lined up perfectly right (in which case they die in one hit. Halberd+10 is pretty awesome).

I went and fought Sif before doing New Londo so I could make the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias. It made short work of all things spectral.

Althane

I went and fought Sif before doing New Londo so I could make the Cursed Greatsword of Artorias. It made short work of all things spectral.

That sounds like a great idea. I need to pick up 20k souls though to buy the tablet to let me get to Sif's area. And then actually kill Sif.

To forge the boss soul weapons, don't you need the smith in Arnor Londo?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
That sounds like a great idea. I need to pick up 20k souls though to buy the tablet to let me get to Sif's area. And then actually kill Sif.

To forge the boss soul weapons, don't you need the smith in Arnor Londo?

Hmm, you are right, here's the wiki page:

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/greatsword-of-artorias-cursed

(Pay special attention to making sure you get the right sword, there's a cursed and non-cursed version.)

It's a bit of work to get it, but it's an all around good greatsword besides its curse damage.

Jamesways

Had a great time the past few nights hanging out in Anor Londo helping people with O&S. I think over the course of a few days, I've helped 10 or more people beat them. Last night was the toughest I've tried, guy was on NG+6, they did not go down easy at all.

Sunbro for life!

Althane

Made it through Sen's Fortress. I still want to go down to the bottom to get the Lightning Spear, but I didnt' have enough arrows to kill the giant dropping the boulders (does he respawn?).

Anyways, Arnor Londo is pretttty. God help me when I run into O&S though. Halberd... probably not the best weapon to face them.

The ghosts don't like fire, so you could make a fire weapon as a back up for them (longsword would do), or you could use pyromancy, one combustion to the face per ghost should do it.

If you haven't found out how to make fire weapons yet, ignore - although it is accessible from the very start of the game.

Bought the game awhile ago but procrastinated HARD actually playing it. After finally building up the courage, I've taken the plunge.

Gotten up to the undead parish and am fighting those two cunting gargoyle bosses. I brought down one and right when I was about to land the killing blow on the second, it flamethrowered my ass and I died. Heartbreaking stuff.

That said, I'm determined to beat the bastards. Going to reinforce my sword a bit more and see what happens.

Althane

Bought the game awhile ago but procrastinated HARD actually playing it. After finally building up the courage, I've taken the plunge.

Gotten up to the undead parish and am fighting those two cunting gargoyle bosses. I brought down one and right when I was about to land the killing blow on the second, it flamethrowered my ass and I died. Heartbreaking stuff.

That said, I'm determined to beat the bastards. Going to reinforce my sword a bit more and see what happens.

Are you using the summons for the fight? Makes it much easier, since they'll distract the second gargoyle.

Althane

I haven't, didn't even realize I was carrying the item that summons in my inventory :lol :lol Thanks for the advice!

The White Soapstone puts down your own summon sign. To summon Solaire or Laurtec for that fight, you need to be Human (sacrifice humanity at a bonfire to reverse hollowing), and then find the sign (should be right next to the fog gate leading to the gargoyle).

Best of luck.

GRIP

Upgrading your weapons/shields is one of the most important things to do in the game. Get your weapon of choice to +5 ASAP. It will make the Gargoyle fight much easier (buffing your weapon with gold pine resin also helps a ton for that fight).

The White Soapstone puts down your own summon sign. To summon Solaire or Laurtec for that fight, you need to be Human (sacrifice humanity at a bonfire to reverse hollowing), and then find the sign (should be right next to the fog gate leading to the gargoyle).

Best of luck.

Upgrading your weapons/shields is one of the most important things to do in the game. Get your weapon of choice to +5 ASAP. It will make the Gargoyle fight much easier (buffing your weapon with gold pine resin also helps a ton for that fight).

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't had the time to play since wednesday, but on the plus side I now have a brand spanking new kitchen almost done

Can't wait to be on with my adventure sometimes next week

Morfeo

Haven't had the time to play since wednesday, but on the plus side I now have a brand spanking new kitchen almost done

Can't wait to be on with my adventure sometimes next week

So we can get a home and upgrade it as well in this game? Where do we find that? :)

Morfeo

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.

I would advice against seeking help from summons as it is totally doable without them, and much more fun as well.

I never really upgrade the armor, as I tend to find new and thus changing it all the time. Might be a mistake?

Made it through Sen's Fortress. I still want to go down to the bottom to get the Lightning Spear, but I didnt' have enough arrows to kill the giant dropping the boulders (does he respawn?).

Anyways, Arnor Londo is pretttty. God help me when I run into O&S though. Halberd... probably not the best weapon to face them.

He does respawn, but you can get down there without killing him.

Raw64life

After 120 hours of Dark Souls 2 I finally decided to get the expansion pack that I've never played before and start a NG++. I had a $10 PSN credit from buying a PS4 which basically made it free. I remember a good amount of the game but I was wondering if there is anything online that gives you an NPC timeline, as in a guide that tells you what you need to do and when you need to do it by. I don't think I ever did Catalina's correctly as both times he died instantly as soon as he jumps in that pit of monsters.

Silky

Banned
Perhaps, but the rats themselves don't generally attack you, except for the Large ones, and once you take care of Giant Rat, it's a slide down to the boss and a ladder up to the bonfire. It's amazing how short the Depths section really is when you know where to go. Even magic buffer dude gets taken out with arrows from the place where you emerge.

I actually killed the mage with the remainder of my arrows! But those rats ambushed me.

I'm sitting on ~6000 souls and I'm really considering stocking up before going back through the depths.

Althane

I actually killed the mage with the remainder of my arrows! But those rats ambushed me.

I'm sitting on ~6000 souls and I'm really considering stocking up before going back through the depths.

Never hurts to have lots of arrows.

I accidentally entered the Painted World. Oops. Have leveled up like 8 times in it, so... nice rewards!

I also killed Dark Spirit Lord Gwyn. That was.. unexpected. Gave me nothing but a bunch of souls (about 8k). Anyone else see this encounter? I wasn't able to find it on the dark souls wiki.

Raven Demons are bitches, that's all.

Anyways, starting to work on upgrading my Claymore, since I wanna run around like I'm an immortal or something. It'll be a while before it's near as powerful as my Halberd, but eh.

Top Bottom