• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Now that weight is not as big of an issue, I always try to have 999 wooden and normal arrows, using only the wooden for luring enemies and when i have time, and the normal or stronger in more tense fights. No reason not to have a ton at all times.

Btw I have come to the boss fight in Anor Londo which seems hard. However, the stage itself only really had one challenging part imo, which was the Silver Arrow Knights, which was a bit disappointing. Makes it even easier with all the shortcuts that can be triggered everywhere. People in this thread says that this is where people give up and that the game doesnt get more difficult from now on, which is a bit disappoing as well. At least the boss fight looks to be very challening indeed!

There's still plenty of challenges after Anor Londo Morfeo, especially the DLC area of the game, they really ramped it up there - the trashmobs and the bosses hit hard. :)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Now that weight is not as big of an issue, I always try to have 999 wooden and normal arrows, using only the wooden for luring enemies and when i have time, and the normal or stronger in more tense fights. No reason not to have a ton at all times.

Btw I have come to the boss fight in Anor Londo which seems hard. However, the stage itself only really had one challenging part imo, which was the Silver Arrow Knights, which was a bit disappointing. Makes it even easier with all the shortcuts that can be triggered everywhere. People in this thread says that this is where people give up and that the game doesnt get more difficult from now on, which is a bit disappoing as well. At least the boss fight looks to be very challening indeed!

Anor Londo normal mobs are fairly easy. Archives enemies are much harder. As are Tomb of the Giants enemies. You are at the peak of boss fights though.

Oni Jazar

I need tips because I seem to be getting hit by a roadblock every area I enter.

Rang both bells,
Go into Demon Ruins and get blocked by an orange gate.
Go to New Londo Ruins and get blocked by a door with no key.
Go through Sen's Fortress to Anor Londo and I get blocked by another orange gate. I fought some dragon below the path to the gate but it seems to lead to a dead end and I talked to the fire keeper and he's no help.

What do I do?

Morfeo

I need tips because I seem to be getting hit by a roadblock every area I enter.

Rang both bells,
Go into Demon Ruins and get blocked by an orange gate.
Go to New Londo Ruins and get blocked by a door with no key.
Go through Sen's Fortress to Anor Londo and I get blocked by another orange gate. I fought some dragon below the path to the gate but it seems to lead to a dead end and I talked to the fire keeper and he's no help.

What do I do?

You should be in Anor Londo. The way forward is a bit had to spot, but go down to where you fought the "dragon" (a gargoyle), turn around so that you face the elevator that took you down, and see to the right. Pretty close to the elevator building you should see an black arch that you can jump down to, and which will bring you to some sort of church and take you further.

Nordicus

I fought some dragon below the path to the gate but it seems to lead to a dead end and I talked to the fire keeper and he's no help.
That is actually not a dead end. The path forward is just a bit secretive. Look around carefully in the location where you fought

Morfeo

You could also go the Garden, at least I didnt find anything blocking me when I went there earlier.

Althane

You were invaded by a guy with the gamertag Lord Gwyn?

I guess? But he fought like an idiot if he was a human black phantom. Pretty sure it was an AI. But I can't find anything about the fight. (I should've taken screenshots, but I was a bit busy dodging lightning spears)

Silky

Banned
I wanna go back to where those diamond creatures are (the area name escapes me, but it's after you fight that statue near the blacksmith.) because in a previous run I'd found a much better arrow/bow set than my short bow.

Althane

I wanna go back to where those diamond creatures are (the area name escapes me, but it's after you fight that statue near the blacksmith.) because in a previous run I'd found a much better arrow/bow set than my short bow.

Darkroot Basin, it's where the Hydra is.

Mistel

Banned
I guess? But he fought like an idiot if he was a human black phantom. Pretty sure it was an AI. But I can't find anything about the fight. (I should've taken screenshots, but I was a bit busy dodging lightning spears)
It's not a black phantom most certainly invasion.

So after an aborted 25hr game (couldn't work out how to upgrade, used Drake Sword far too long, getting massacred at Sen's) then an amazing 80hr save I've got the Platinum!

Awesome feeling. First time round (NG) took me 25 hrs to get from the start to halfway through Sen's. On my final NG++ got to Giant Blacksmith after 100 minutes. Loved the game and felt like a badass at the end.

GRIP

I never really upgrade the armor, as I tend to find new and thus changing it all the time. Might be a mistake?

I never upgrade armor either. Seems like a waste to me because I like to switch gear too, and I don't think it helps out that much either (especially once you start getting further into NG+ modes).

shiroryu

I actually killed the mage with the remainder of my arrows! But those rats ambushed me.

I'm sitting on ~6000 souls and I'm really considering stocking up before going back through the depths.

Don't think we're talking about the same point. I'm talking about the point where if you go to fight the boss (not the room where the mage is), you emerge into the section facing the open area. There if you turn around, mage is up there and dies in four headshots. Mage in undead parish dies the same way.

And yes, never hurts to stock up on arrows. I generally farm Burg a few times to get a crapton of wooden arrows, a fair number of standard arrows, and some poison arrows.

Morfeo

That S&O fight can fuck right off to hell lol, so far I feel completely without chance there. Considering to try and just keep my distance and doing ranged, but we will see.

I never upgrade armor either. Seems like a waste to me because I like to switch gear too, and I don't think it helps out that much either (especially once you start getting further into NG+ modes).

Heh I usually change my armor when I find a new one since light armor kinda sucks apart from the element resistance.

That S&O fight can fuck right off to hell lol, so far I feel completely without chance there. Considering to try and just keep my distance and doing ranged, but we will see.
Try to keep them both in your sights at all times, lock off works well here so you have more control. A good high stability shield also helps if you aren't adept at roll dodging everything. The Eagle Shield is the smallest great shield and works great because as a wooden shield it also has high lightning defence.

Oh, and lastly - you probably worked this out but don't try to take them both down - concentrate only on one.

Morfeo

That will end very well.

Try to keep them both in your sights at all times, lock off works well here so you have more control. A good high stability shield also helps if you aren't adept at roll dodging everything. The Eagle Shield is the smallest great shield and works great because as a wooden shield it also has high lightning defence.

Oh, and lastly - you probably worked this out but don't try to take them both down - concentrate only on one.

Have tried tree times so far, and I almost killed the guy with the spear on my third try. For some reason the guy with the hammer almost insta-killed me the two first times when I entered before I got around to scout the area even, but that didnt happen the third time, so I just started to run to one of the side behind a pillar to try and get some overview of the situation. Then I would run and run and dodge and dodge all the time, and only attack the spear-guy with two light attacks when he came with his fast but terribly inaccure attack. Finally got cornered and killed, but I feel I can do this melee now. Will try again!

(Too bad it takes forever to clear the way to the fight each time)

Morfeo

Fourth and fifth try have been complete wastes. At least I get to buy one Twinkling Titanite before each defeat, and then use it to upgrade one of my armors, meaning I at least have some progress here :)

Morfeo

Sixth try went terrible as well. Anyways, I almost did beat one of them earlier, so I know I can do it. Might take a while though :(

Morfeo

Two more attempts that went pretty bad. At least most of my armor (and even the short bow that I have planned to drop for the whole game) is now at +5 thanks to all the souls I gain on my way there!

Morfeo

Fuck this fight. I can survive for a pretty long time with my 10 estus flasks, but it is very difficult to do enough damage to the spear-guy, so I am considering trying to focus on the other first instead, however, I have a feeling that is even more risky.

Morfeo

Ok, the PS3 crashed in the middle of the fight (why does this happen all the time in this game?), so I guess I am done for tonight after probably 20+ attempts. Some more comments:

- I will mostly get Ormstein down to about half his health before dying, the record is still my third attempt when he was at about a third.

- Ormstein is very good at getting away quickly after his attack, meaning I often miss my counter-attack, and thus wasting stamina (and giving Smough an opportunity to strike if he is near). This is the main reason why I cant kill him, and makes me consider using a spear or something with better range for the fight.

- I think its very good design how From placed the blacksmith right with the fight, meaning every time I get to it, I at least get some Twinkling Titanite out of it even though I am insta-killed, meaning it is not a complete waste of time.

- Its actually not that hard stay in the fight for a long time by just keeping a distance and strafing them, and then dodge/move behind pillars when I need to heal, but I always get screwed when Ormstein does something unpredictable that forces me to cancel the z-targetting and thus making me loose control of the situation.

So my main problem here is actually to give out damage, so I am considering tomorrow to either change weapon, or go somewhere else (like the Garden) and get back here later. I know I could also summon Astorias, but I am not really sure I want to resort to that option, at least not yet.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Ok, the PS3 crashed in the middle of the fight (why does this happen all the time in this game?), so I guess I am done for tonight after probably 20+ attempts. Some more comments:

- I will mostly get Ormstein down to about half his health before dying, the record is still my third attempt when he was at about a third.

- Ormstein is very good at getting away quickly after his attack, meaning I often miss my counter-attack, and thus wasting stamina (and giving Smough an opportunity to strike if he is near). This is the main reason why I cant kill him, and makes me consider using a spear or something with better range for the fight.

- I think its very good design how From placed the blacksmith right with the fight, meaning every time I get to it, I at least get some Twinkling Titanite out of it even though I am insta-killed, meaning it is not a complete waste of time.

- Its actually not that hard stay in the fight for a long time by just keeping a distance and strafing them, and then dodge/move behind pillars when I need to heal, but I always get screwed when Ormstein does something unpredictable that forces me to cancel the z-targetting and thus making me loose control of the situation.

So my main problem here is actually to give out damage, so I am considering tomorrow to either change weapon, or go somewhere else (like the Garden) and get back here later. I know I could also summon Astorias, but I am not really sure I want to resort to that option, at least not yet.

What weapon are you using? Ornstein is pretty resistant to lightning.

Literally or figuratively?
Just fuck him! I've never been a fan of the DLC, it always feels like a chore - the only part I really enjoyed was the Artorias fight and chibi-Sif.

Solaire isn't actually much help in this fight so if it comes to summoning him don't feel too bad. His main use is to divert their attention or separate them, he doesn't often last the first round with more than a sliver of health.

Are you going two-handed (or switching to 2-handed when you attack) - It does more damage, but drains more stamina obviously. You could also try buffing your weapon (with a spell or a resin).

Overdoziz

Banned
Try to create some distance between you and both of them. Ornstein is usually quicker and sometimes charges at you. After he does this you can hit him a couple of times while Smough is still far away enough to not be a threat. That's how I did it on my first playthrough without summoning.

Morfeo

Solaire isn't actually much help in this fight so if it comes to summoning him don't feel too bad. His main use is to divert their attention or separate them, he doesn't often last the first round with more than a sliver of health.

Are you going two-handed (or switching to 2-handed when you attack) - It does more damage, but drains more stamina obviously. You could also try buffing your weapon (with a spell or a resin).

Diverting attention could be of decent help I guess, but yeah, I am now commited to trying this for some more without getting a summon. I am going one-handed, because I do block some of the attacks when I dont have a decent place to roll. This is the slower way of course, but it felt safer. Maybe I should try some fights two-handling the sword. About spells, I havent really played with them yet, but I guess that is an idea. I have found one that gives magic damage to my weapon, but for now havent equiped it. Maybe its time to try out that part of the game as well.

Morfeo

Try to create some distance between you and both of them. Ornstein is usually quicker and sometimes charges at you. After he does this you can hit him a couple of times while Smough is still far away enough to not be a threat. That's how I did it on my first playthrough without summoning.

This is the strat I try to use yeah. All the damage I give Ormstein comes from him loosing his head and charging at me like this :)

Mistel

Banned
Just fuck him! I've never been a fan of the DLC, it always feels like a chore - the only part I really enjoyed was the Artorias fight and chibi-Sif.
I'm more or less the same I did like bits of it but it was a bit of a drag. I only liked Artorias and Gough bits. Kalameet was more enjoyable than Manus by far.

Kalameet isn't too bad except for his straight fire attack, which is pretty much guaranteed death if you try to shield it. Manus is much worse. Lots of health and really erratic.

Does anyone know the source of this art?

DiVYNAO.jpg

Luigi87

Really hoping this goes on discount again soon for PC... Been playing through DkS2 on PC, and I really want to replay this game, but a solo run (I co-op'd with my friend the one playthrough I did on PS3). The world design in this game is just so much nicer.

Althane

Killed the Stray demon. I'm done with DArk Souls for another 2 weeks, and then once I can actually be home and play... sweetness.

I've died twice in Arnor Londo to the damn harpoon-gun guys while I'm running up the buttress to get to whoever-knows where. (it's the one after the two giant halberd guys. I kind of want to know if I can get one of their halberds...)

But overall, it's been a productive two days. Woot.

Killed the Stray demon. I'm done with DArk Souls for another 2 weeks, and then once I can actually be home and play... sweetness.

I've died twice in Arnor Londo to the damn harpoon-gun guys while I'm running up the buttress to get to whoever-knows where. (it's the one after the two giant halberd guys. I kind of want to know if I can get one of their halberds...)

But overall, it's been a productive two days. Woot.

You can. It's still pretty big, but obviously not full size.

Joei

I'm trying 4K on NG+ and my god they have a ton of HP. Not only that, but I can't last too long cause I get caught in that grab move which takes almost all my HP and has killed me every time but once. I think I'm going to level up my HP a little, only at like level 15 or something for VIT. Anyone have any tips?

Mistel

Banned
I'm trying 4K on NG+ and my god they have a ton of HP. Not only that, but I can't last too long cause I get caught in that grab move which takes almost all my HP and has killed me every time but once. I think I'm going to level up my HP a little, only at like level 15 or something for VIT. Anyone have any tips?
That and full havel should get you through it.

Levyne

Banned
Four Kings on NG+ was by far the hardest fight for me. Yep, Havel's and lots of flask spam when I got low on health.

Top Bottom