• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

789shadow

Banned
Is there any point to upgrading shields at all? The only noticeable stat increases are in damage, which obviously only special shields ever do.

Levyne

Banned
I remember upgrading a Silver Knight's shield and it was really awesome but I forget why, lemme go to the wiki and remind myself...

Ah..stability...I forget how useful it was though..

789shadow

Banned
I remember upgrading a Silver Knight's shield and it was really awesome but I forget why, lemme go to the wiki and remind myself...

Ah..stability...I forget how useful it was though..
*looks at stats*

The fuck am I doing with this Balder Shield. BRB farming for Silver Knight Shield.

Joei

That and full havel should get you through it.

Ok, I'll give that a try. Currently, I'm wearing Black Iron set with a Mask of Child for stamina. I see that Black Iron has better base defense, but Havel's has some other defenses that are better. Is there any particular weapon that anyone has had luck with? For this fight, I've been using Claymore with charcoal resin.

*looks at stats*

The fuck am I doing with this Balder Shield. BRB farming for Silver Knight Shield.

Balder at +14 is pretty badass because it has great stamina and has a low weight. Black Knight Shield is another great one because of the great stamina and excellent fire defense.

Resilient

First play through, I bested OaS without a shield and no summon. After that I used Great Sword and Great Shield for great success.

Mistel

Banned
Ok, I'll give that a try. Currently, I'm wearing Black Iron set with a Mask of Child for stamina. I see that Black Iron has better base defense, but Havel's has some other defenses that are better. Is there any particular weapon that anyone has had luck with? For this fight, I've been using Claymore with charcoal resin.
A +15 plus claymore, Zwei or a man serpent are sufficient.

Jamesways

Morfeo, use the pillar/pillar stumps to put distance between you. Works really well against Smoughs running shovel move.
Got any Pyromancy? Ornstein is weak to fire, even on NG+s. Also, use some lighting resistent gear or ring if you have it. More so for the uh, second half of the fight.

Joei, I have had good results with a Uchigatana (all depending on your build though), it's faster than the heavy weapons plus bleed effect, and I feel you get better Damage Per Second, which is what the fight is all about. Stamina management, and hacking away as quick as possible.

I'm having a hell of a time against Kalameet on NG++++, seems any weapon, STR or Dex does so little damage. I know the fight is a marathon, but if you screw up on any fly above breath dodges, it's pretty much done.
This and Manus, hardest in the game by far for me.
First playthrough, I beat Kalameet in 3 attempts, since then, not so much.

Jamesways

Kalameet is an awesome fight in NG. Can't imagine the buffed health pool in the 5th go through :v

I just can't stop playing this, each time I beat it, the beginning is so well done and fun, I just keep going. Granted, a few parts get pretty old, but it's really fun trying a slew of weapons/spells/covenents, etc you didn't the last time.

I'm a bit scared to to SL1 run. But I probably will at some point.

I'm putting off continuing in DS2 for some reason. A few hours in and it just didn't grab me like 1 did.

Joei

Joei, I have had good results with a Uchigatana (all depending on your build though), it's faster than the heavy weapons plus bleed effect, and I feel you get better Damage Per Second, which is what the fight is all about. Stamina management, and hacking away as quick as possible.

I'm doing a STR build. I think I'm 40/20 on str/dex. Totally don't like str build and prefer dex, but whatever. I did try a 14 uchi with resin and damage was too low, more dps with the claymore. I also tried a 15 demon great machete (what I normally run with) and the damage was far too slow.

Joei

I'll never do a NG+. It's just boring. I'd rather make a new character.

I thought this too, but the interesting thing about NG+ is you can approach the beginning of the game so much differently. For example, the first boss I killed was Pinwheel, then I went around and killed Sif and Moonlight Butterfly and Hydra (Butterfly and Hydra cause I was in the area) but mainly went and killed Sif so I can go and fight 4K. I could have very well used the Masterkey and killed Quelaag right at the beginning though. You can also bypass a few of the first bosses as well by using the Masterkey. For example, you'd never have to kill Gaping Dragon, Taurus Demon or the Capra Demon. You can very well do this on a new character with Masterkey, but it's easier and more manageable cause you start with the equipment and levels and the early stuff is pretty manageable.

krakov

I'm trying 4K on NG+ and my god they have a ton of HP. Not only that, but I can't last too long cause I get caught in that grab move which takes almost all my HP and has killed me every time but once. I think I'm going to level up my HP a little, only at like level 15 or something for VIT. Anyone have any tips?

Either stay light and dodge or tank up with heavy armor and just go all out attacking. Stay close either way. Never block, unless it's the magic projectile. The important part is to take them out as fast as possible.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Morfeo, use the pillar/pillar stumps to put distance between you. Works really well against Smoughs running shovel move.
Got any Pyromancy? Ornstein is weak to fire, even on NG+s. Also, use some lighting resistent gear or ring if you have it. More so for the uh, second half of the fight.

Thanks for this! I actually cheated and consulted a wiki, and have decided to try to make the Quelaags Furysword (which will go quick) since Ormstein is weak to fire. Hopefully that will be able to give out some serious damage!

Jaeger

Started replaying this late last week. Immediately went for one of my favorite weapons, the Gravelord Sword. It's +1 at the moment, thanks for the Demon Titanite drop from the Demon next to Andre. It's making alot of the earlier game much much easier than I remember. Alot of that has to do with me being generally alot better than I was when I first played this.

Last boss beaten was Ceaseless. I fucked up initially, and ran right into his damn fist (I think) while trying to do the ledge-death trick on him. So Maybe 3 tries later, I was able to run back to where the Gold-Hemmed Black Set was and back to initiate the trick again.

There's specific weapons and items I want to make sure I get this time, that I neglected or didn't know how to get on my first playthroughs;

Weapons
Quelaag's Furysword
Obsidian Greatsword
Large Club
Grant
Great Scythe

Armor
Favor Set
Paladin Set

Items
Dark Wood Grain Ring

Magic
Wrath of the Gods

Having alot of fun, so far.

Resilient

Lol. Care to give some advice?

Equip a Great Sword, probably best bet is Black Knight Sword at this point. You can upgrade it a fair bit. My strat was basically, get in there, kill Ornstein in 4-5 hits. I used basically no armour because I would roll around like a mother fucker. Then when I was left with Smough, I just Fireball/Great Fireball'd him as far as I could, and used the pillars to get in a few sword hits. YMMV with this.

Morfeo

Equip a Great Sword, probably best bet is Black Knight Sword at this point. You can upgrade it a fair bit. My strat was basically, get in there, kill Ornstein in 4-5 hits. I used basically no armour because I would roll around like a mother fucker. Then when I was left with Smough, I just Fireball/Great Fireball'd him as far as I could, and used the pillars to get in a few sword hits. YMMV with this.

This is the main difference from my game. You can kill him in 4-5 hits, while I would use much more. Definitely need to change weapon. Thanks alot!

Thrak360

Neo Member
My glacial progress continues as now I finally think I am done with Undead Burg and Parish. I thought I was done before, but I went back to clean up some stuff I had forgotten. One missed item being the Ring of Sacrifice. And then I went back to kill Havel. My first encounter with him was much earlier in the game, did not fare well - I think I attempted with the starting hand axe. But with the Black Knight Sword, it just took three backstabs. So now I am pretty sure I have cleaned out these areas, and will head to the Depths.

A question on the DLC. I started the game without the DLC. If I buy it now, will it still be accessible in this current playthrough? Or does it need to be purchased before you start a new game?

Morfeo

My glacial progress continues as now I finally think I am done with Undead Burg and Parish. I thought I was done before, but I went back to clean up some stuff I had forgotten. One missed item being the Ring of Sacrifice. And then I went back to kill Havel. My first encounter with him was much earlier in the game, did not fare well - I think I attempted with the starting hand axe. But with the Black Knight Sword, it just took three backstabs. So now I am pretty sure I have cleaned out these areas, and will head to the Depths.

A question on the DLC. I started the game without the DLC. If I buy it now, will it still be accessible in this current playthrough? Or does it need to be purchased before you start a new game?

I have completely forgotten about Havel, maybe I should get back and kill him and get that ring - would probably be able to increase my defense quite a lot for the S&O fight.

789shadow

Banned

You can play it anytime as long as you don't complete the game beforehand.

Mistel

Banned
I have completely forgotten about Havel, maybe I should get back and kill him and get that ring - would probably be able to increase my defense quite a lot for the S&O fight.
It boosts equipment load so you could get full havels and just tank.

Morfeo

It boosts equipment load so you could get full havels and just tank.

Yeah I remember you advising me about that earlier. So I have a few plans for tonights session:

1) Kill Havel and get his ring
2) Kill the black knight in Undead Burg, he is basically in the same area, and I should be strong enough by now.
3) Grab that falchion from my box, upgrade it to +10 and turn it into the Quelaags Furysword.

Hopefully that will make the fight somewhat easier when I return :)

Overdoziz

Banned
For 4K on NG+ and beyond just go full havel + mask of child + grass crest shield + wolf ring. Have this while two-handing your most powerful weapon you'll be able to take them on fairly easily. Keep in mind that you'll always be at the mercy of RNG, though. If you're unlucky they will start with a magic attack and do a lot of AOE attacks and the grab one. If that doesn't happen a lot it should be manageable.

Morfeo

My Black Eye Orb is quivering - what the hell does that mean? Do I have to use it now to invade the murder of Anastacia, or can I wait?

Nordicus

Thanks! Killed Ormstein (finally). Instadied on the fucking second form of Smough :(
Hehehee, you thought that fight was merely a simple 2-on-1? Guess again, and the 2nd form Smough is the easier option! MWAHAHAHAAA!

But seriously though, keep trying, "Super Smough" is just normal Smough that's been slightly altered. There's still somewhat of a blind spot between his hammer and his belly if you're feeling courageous

Morfeo

Hehehee, you thought that fight was merely a simple 2-on-1? Guess again, and the 2nd form Smough is the easier option! MWAHAHAHAAA!

But seriously though, keep trying, "Super Smough" is just normal Smough that's been slightly altered. There's still somewhat of a blind spot between his hammer and his belly if you're feeling courageous

Haha, well I didnt quite know, but somebody hinted here already about the second form, so I was a bit prepared. That blind spot seems like something I should maybe consider to exploit, however, the main problem for now seems to be his huge jump which I dont think I can block (and have killed me all the times so far).

Anyways, the Quelaags Furysword has been of much help here, as I now kill Ormstein much, much faster than before, but even more than that, the Havel Ring lets me have much better defense, and thus taking more damage and playing more offensive than before. Its way easier now :)

Jaeger

So, manged to kill (after failing once) to take out Shiva, and his bodyguard. So got the ninja flipping ring, and Shiva's equipment.

Took out Sif (which was fairly easier than I remembered). Went to Sen's, and got my ass handed to me. Saw a summon sign as a human, and this guy helped me tremendously. In fact, he helped me get a key and unlock a shortcut from the beginning to the roof I had no idea existed, and a bonfire I had no idea existed. Love that people are still playing this wonderful game.

When I get back to it, I'll take out the Iron Golem and head to Anor Londo.

Morfeo

I have to go to bed, but at least I can kill Ormstein more or less every time now, which mean I have had some progress. Finishing this tomorrow!

I'll never do a NG+. It's just boring. I'd rather make a new character.

it was a different game for me, take a guide and went to the default path ii was awesome to find another entrance to some areas also some bosses are more agressive than NG

I wouldn't use it on anything besides 4K in NG+ honestly. In pretty much every other fight it's best to stay agile.

it can be used against Kalamet, seath, pinwheel and tianite guys gwendolyn if I remember.

Jaeger

With the help of two folk, took out Orn and Smo. Smithed Quelaag's Furysword. Beat Lautrec, and got his armor. Upgraded one of my 5 favorite weapons (Gravelord Sword) to +4. Still awhile to go before this character is ready, but it's definitely coming along.

Now that I think about it, I prefer weaponsmithing in DS2 to DS1. It was much simpler.

Jaeger

simple and lazy, all blacksmiths can reinforce your weapons, no ember requirements and they are in key location so you are not force to warp to majula.

I don't mind ember requirements, or specific smith modifying. I don't like upgrading it, and I reach +5 integrals it jumps from menu to menu.

Call me lazy, but the menu doesn't have to be confusing.

Top Bottom