• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck those archers

Edit: hot tip on sniping spot pls

Mistel

Banned
Just made a video discussing whether I feel Dark Souls 2 is 'worth it'. Might be a bit unpopular, but check out the video and you might see what I mean:

http://youtu.be/zu2R0nJ-sJM
Dark souls 2 thread. It will be beneficial to stick it in there too.
Fuck those archers

Edit: hot tip on sniping spot pls
You can hit them from the bit down past the demons with arrows I found it easier to smack them off the edges with a two handed black iron greatshield.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell are they even shooting

It looks like longswords lol

I couldnt find a sniping spot, so just ran up to them. Try that.

Dark souls 2 thread. It will be beneficial to stick it in there too.

You can hit them from the bit down past the demons with arrows I found it easier to smack them off the edges with a two handed black iron greatshield.

I guess I'll try Melee then. I'll try the Black Iron Greatshield strat :D

Mistel

Banned
What the hell are they even shooting

It looks like longswords lol
toaddontosirfapatonsc5al70.jpg
Great arrows is what they are firing with their dragon slayer great bows.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
So what is left for me now? Graveyard/Catacombs, Demon Ruins and dlc-content right? Where do I access that?

Morfeo

Crystal golem in Dukes archive it is non hostile so you know it when you see it. It is right by the front door more or less.

Have you saved Princess Dusk?

Very strange, I killed the Crystal Golem at the beginning, but dont think it dropped anything. Who is Princess Dusk?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Very strange, I killed the Crystal Golem at the beginning, but dont think it dropped anything. Who is Princess Dusk?

Go to the cave (as a human) next to where the Hydra was in Darkroot Basin. They'll be a golem there. Kill it and she is inside.

Mistel

Banned
Dusk is trapped in a golden crystal golem in darkroot basin go free her then you can start the dlc with the pendant in your inventory.

Morfeo

Go to the cave (as a human) next to where the Hydra was in Darkroot Basin. They'll be a golem there. Kill it and she is inside.

Dusk is trapped in a golden crystal golem in darkroot basin go free her then you can start the dlc with the pendant in your inventory.

Hmmm, Ok I have now rescued Dusk, but still no pendant. I think I am just going to check out the Demon Ruins for now, and think about this later. I guess it doesnt matter when I tackle the dlc?

And thanks a lot by the way!

Hmmm, Ok I have now rescued Dusk, but still no pendant. I think I am just going to check out the Demon Ruins for now, and think about this later. I guess it doesnt matter when I tackle the dlc?

And thanks a lot by the way!

The pendant is on Duke archives in a blue golem, then you have to go where you found the golden golem and it triggers the DLC

Morfeo

Thanks! I actually decided to go back to the Archives, kill the Golem again, and yeah, got the Pendant! I was afraid that I was fucked now, but guess not. So I entered the dlc-area, killed the first boss (he didnt even last one Estus Flask), entered the woods - and died from falling down inside a tower. Terrible patience and Dark Souls-playing there I know.

Levyne

Banned
When I first fought the Hydra it seemed impossible because every head lunge would knock me on my ass. I swapped to a shield that just barely had enough stability to stay upright and it was a lot easier.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I took down the Hydra melee, it was easy pickings when I got the dodge timing right
for me, it worked best dodging at the time of it's roar, that is quite early

Do your speed/agility decrease gradually, or is it just a fixed penalty at >25%, >50% etc? I.E. Is there a point in aiming quite a bit lower than 50% or should I go for 49,9 % ?

edit: ok this Anor Londo archer fight is so stupid it's sort of tempering my enjoyment of the game. First fight in the game that actually has had this effect on me. I feel it's just down to luck with timings trying to run up to the left one without getting shot it in the back from the other dude, and stunned and thrown of the ledges or something.

edit: Hmm, or maybe I should try taking out the right archer first, lol

yeah, that's a bit better. Still a horrible fight, do they respawn, even if you kill them both? Killed the right one, thinking about leaving the left one be. Yeah fuck him, onwards! :D

Morfeo

I took down the Hydra melee, it was easy pickings when I got the dodge timing right
for me, it worked best dodging at the time of it's roar, that is quite early

Do your speed/agility decrease gradually, or is it just a fixed penalty at >25%, >50% etc? I.E. Is there a point in aiming quite a bit lower than 50% or should I go for 49,9 % ?

edit: ok this Anor Londo archer fight is so stupid it's sort of tempering my enjoyment of the game. First fight in the game that actually has had this effect on me. I feel it's just down to luck with timings trying to run up to the left one without getting shot it in the back from the other dude, and stunned and thrown of the ledges or something.

edit: Hmm, or maybe I should try taking out the right archer first, lol

yeah, that's a bit better. Still a horrible fight, do they respawn, even if you kill them both? Killed the right one, thinking about leaving the left one be. Yeah fuck him, onwards! :D

This is the true Dark Souls!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Anor Londo is awesome once you get to the church, I could fight Silver Knights all day - lovely fights, gentlemen fights - and in fact, I will, because I want to upgrade the Silver Knight Sword that one of these suckers dropped, and the big ass blacksmith has delicious Twinkling Titanites for sale :D

Also thinking about trying to build Quelaag's Fury Sword, since her soul is in my pocket and all, and the blacksmith sells shards/large shards as well

IT'S COZY HERE, might as well stay a while :p

Nordicus

They work in thresholds. Some people really like the <25% dodgeroll, but I'm fine with just the 50% roll and speed. I guess you generally want to keep your weight as close to the preferred limit as possible once you've figured out what equipment you want to use. Then again, having spare weight is always nice because heavier armor is generally better, and it never hurts to put points in Endurance even when you're content with your current equip burden.

They both respawn.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I got it. Not sure which armor I should use anymore, have so many sets, and once I'm firmly invested in upgrading a set, I always find a new one that looks even better. :p And I found the Dragonslayer Bow outside too. Payback time, bitches :)

daninthemix

Anor Londo is awesome once you get to the church, I could fight Silver Knights all day - lovely fights, gentlemen fights - and in fact, I will, because I want to upgrade the Silver Knight Sword that one of these suckers dropped, and the big ass blacksmith has delicious Twinkling Titanites for sale :D

Also thinking about trying to build Quelag's Fury Sword, since her soul is in my pocket and all, and the blacksmith sells shards/large shards as well

Queelag's is pretty good, but the 10 demon titanite and 25,000 souls needed to upgrade it are quite steep. Remember to keep 10 soft humanity if you're going to use it.

Bitch time: I can get through most of Dark Souls confidently without dying at this stage. Except, that is, for a handful of boss fights that seem to hinge on luck to a greater or lesser degree. I would include Capra Demon, Bed of Chaos, Firesage and Stray demons here. The last two in particular - I might not have died up to the point of fighting one of them, but I will always, always die at least once to both of them. I think it's partly because they seem capable of staggering you more severely than anyone else, causing death by stunlock. Getting hit by just about any of their attacks robs you of control for an unbearable amount of time - more than enough time for them to wind up their next stunlocking attack. Firesage also is a very cramped arena that he can hit you from almost anywhere in. In fact, the Centipede is another nonsense fight - sometimes he just sits in the lava spamming that tentacle attack for minutes at a time, while me and Solaire just sit there waiting for him to get close. It also seems entirely arbitrary whether he suddenly does the grab attack (good luck even seeing what's going on, much less trying to evade what you can't see).

Long story short - there are some memorable, challenging and decent boss fights in Dark Souls. There's also a bunch of drek fights that you have to simply cross your fingers and do your best. Skill alone never seems to be enough.

Morfeo

Also thinking about trying to build Quelaag's Fury Sword, since her soul is in my pocket and all, and the blacksmith sells shards/large shards as well

Now you see why I stayed for four days!

Hobobloke

The Silver Knights are great for practising your parrying too, will be a handy skill to have come the final boss.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The Silver Knights are great for practising your parrying too, will be a handy skill to have come the final boss.

Yes, I guess it's time to start practicing on that. blocking and dodging is getting really stamina-intensive with the high speed between attacks of these guys. blocking in particular is basically useless at this point

Jamesways

Yes, I guess it's time to start practicing on that. blocking and dodging is getting really stamina-intensive with the high speed between attacks of these guys. blocking in particular is basically useless at this point

Unless you have a greatshield. Eagle sheild works wonders to stutter them after they attack to give you huge opening. If you don't go the parry route.

Can dispatch them quickly using either.

Morfeo

Found Artorias finally, not exactly the Hero I was looking for, but whatever. I died on my first try, but was pretty reckless and was still able to take out half his health. Hope I can use the shortcut!

Mistel

Banned
Found Artorias finally, not exactly the Hero I was looking for, but whatever. I died on my first try, but was pretty reckless and was still able to take out half his health. Hope I can use the shortcut!
You can use the shortcut oh and kill Chester.

Morfeo

I never kill any npc if I dont have a good reason, but why should I kill him?

Oh, second try, and I buffed both my sword and shield with Great Magic Shield and Great Magic Weapon. His health went by very quickly, but I did a n00b-mistake and got carried away, so I didnt have stamina to block. Well fun fight, but seems I have enough defense and stamina so that I can just tank him, which I guess is a bit cheap way of doing it.

Morfeo

Dont know what I did on those first tries, cause now I can only get him down to about half. I guess the move he does when he somehow takes charges up power from the Abyss makes him harder? So I am trying to stop him from doing it - killing me more often than not :(

Anyways, I can do this! Need to balance aggression with patience!

Morfeo

And there he died. Just stayed really close to him at all times, blocking all his stuff, managing stamina, and only attacking when either he got his sword stuck in the ground, or when he did his charge up. He did this three times, and during all three I managed to strike him enough to cancel the charge. During the third I killed him. Oh, and I also used the Wolf Ring for the first time in the game, which probably helped - and started the fight with magic-buffed sword and shield. Used two flasks. FUN!

Edit: Yeah, thats what I found out and ended up doing!

Morfeo

You used Artorias's ring against him!

Haha yeah. Btw, I entered one of the "duels" right after him, thinking it was a bonfire, and then desperately turning off the PS3 at once I understood what I was going into with my 100k souls. Seriously fucking up here :(

artorias at sl1

how i do this gaf? i've already died at least two dozen times. was trying all the magic buffs + power within and great combustion...good damage but one or two hits kills me, i guess i just have to get gud? is the red tearstone ring recommended, or no? i was trying either that, or the wood grain. wood grain seems better because leaving myself at low health with power within is trouble. is that the best strategy or is there anything else that could help? i'm p much naked armor wise besides the obvious dusk crown. using the grass crest on my back...perhaps blocking some of his attacks with a better shield would be better? this has been rough.

Morfeo

Ok, I started at the Duel when I returned, but was gladly able to return without anything stupid happening. So glad now!

About Artorias on soul level 1 - that sounds impossible - how do you even have stamina for one hit and one roll? Well good luck and sir, you are awesome!

Two hand your weapon, use stamina boosters, dodge everything, and only attack after Artorias leaves himself open. Consider using the Hornet Ring and a thrusting weapon for maximum effect. Balder Side Sword R2 would do well, I think.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Two hand your weapon, use stamina boosters, dodge everything, and only attack after Artorias leaves himself open. Consider using the Hornet Ring and a thrusting weapon for maximum effect. Balder Side Sword R2 would do well, I think.

I don't think the BSS is an option at SL1.

Top Bottom