• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

I played Demon Souls all the way until the return to the Tower Knight archstone and incredibly enjoyed my time, but Dark Souls is pissing me the hell off. Blighttown is such a piece of shit level it has destroyed the whole game for me. I get past all the poison and flame enemies who are annoying enough just to encounter this fiend looking thing. I kill it and then I have to fight this big motherfucker with a club in this small-ass corridor which shouldn't be that bad.....except the camera keeps zooming into my character and obscuring the screen, and two more goddamn fiend-looking enemies come out of nowhere. Then, I learn that you can't even block these dudes as one of them grabs me despite my shield and bites 75% of my health bar away.

After I kill all these fucks in the corridor, I go up a tall ladder and another fiend starts going down it. I slap his bitch-ass and he falls, knocking me to the floor with him. His buddy comes down too and now I'm fighting two of these block-ignoring assholes on an extremely small platform with a terrible camera and no estus flasks. Plus, if I die I have to do all this shit again? nigga nooooooooooooooo Alt-F4

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I didnt even get where you where from that description. Just always go slow and fight one enemy at a time, and you will be fine even in Blighttown!

Btw Towerknight arcstone isnt really that far in Demons Souls, is it?

I didnt even get where you where from that description. Just always go slow and fight one enemy at a time, and you will be fine even in Blighttown!

It may not be that far but it sure took me a while lol

And the game doesn't let me decide when to fight one a time. I mean, I could have attracted them one at a time into the cylinder looking area where you can only run around the edges, but then the camera really screws up and it's just frustrating. I had to go into the damn corridor to be able to fight semi-effectively.

Morfeo

It may not be that far but it sure took me a while lol

And the game doesn't let me decide when to fight one a time. I mean, I could have attracted them one at a time into the cylinder looking area where you can only run around the edges, but then the camera really screws up and it's just frustrating.

Do you have a bow? I would use that to attract the attention of one so that you will only have to fight them one at the time. After a few tries, you know where they stand, so it should be easy to go down, use the bow to attract them one of the time, and then move on to the next area.

Do you have a bow? I would use that to attract the attention of one so that you will only have to fight them one at the time. After a few tries, you know where they stand, so it should be easy to go down, use the bow to attract them one of the time, and then move on to the next area.

Hmm. That ,might actually work. If only I didn't have just like 6 arrows left. I'll have to run all the way back to Firelink Shrine I think. Unless there is a closer merchant. Or maybe I'll have to go the way of the Capra Demon *shivers*

Morfeo

Hmm. That ,might actually work. If only I didn't have just like 6 arrows left. I'll have to run all the way back to Firelink Shrine I think. Unless there is a closer merchant. Or maybe I'll have to go the way of the Capra Demon *shivers*

The guy at the entrance to blighttown should sell them?

Btw, I just forged the Abyss Greatsword and its incredible disappointing that I dont have the skills to use it :(

It's quite early.

Valley of Defilment in Demon Souls is as bad or worst than Blightown. They key in that area is to thing really well every step and be very pacient and get the poison ring. There's a bonfire in the bottom of the area, be sure the get it.

You could also use those skulls that atract the attention of enemies, although yopu could end atracting both. Or use knives, you should have a few, probably.

Morfeo

It's quite early.

Valley of Defilment in Demon Souls is as bad or worst than Blightown. They key in that area is to thing really well every step and be very pacient and get the poison ring. There's a bonfire in the bottom of the area, be sure the get it.

You could also use those skulls that atract the attention of enemies, although yopu could end atracting both. Or use knives, you should have a few, probably.

Definitely agree that Valley of Defilement was much more difficult. The Giant Depraveds was the worst enemy in the game - and fighting/escaping it in the swamp was impossible. Did that thing even have a stamina-meter, or just infinite stamina? Great area in a great game anyways!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

OH, shit this is the DkS1 thread. My bad, thought you were talking about DkS2.

Anyway here's the strat:

1) Get some fire resist, you don't need a shit ton
2) Get some decent armor with high poise, but stay under 50% equip load
3) Get a decent shield, normal shields works better than greatshields
4) When he does his three hit combo, block the first hit, then parry-riposte the second, using the first block as a way to gauge the timing/rhythm

That's all you need to do against him.

Morfeo

Progressed untill I got the shortcut in Oolacile Township (what a name btw), and while the friendly inhabitants didnt really do me much damage, I still had fun exploring the town. This is definitely the first part of the dlc that feels like some thought went into the level design, the Royal Woods on the other hand was very boring imo. Maybe From are just better at creating towns/cities? After all, the most memorable areas in the game have been the Undead Burg, Anor Londo and New Londo, and in Demons Souls it was Boletaria and Latria (imo).

A question, where do I get light? I seem to need it for some secrets according to messages lying around.

Haly

A question, where do I get light? I seem to need it for some secrets according to messages lying around.

A sorcery called Cast Light. It's sold by Dusk of Oolacile and it opens some illusory doors. You can also use other light sources like the Skull Lantern or the Sunlight Maggot.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Based on what I read about him in the game, I thought Artorias was going to be this huge, slowly moving, proud knight ... nearly crapped myself when the fight started.

Anyone wanna help me defeat final boss? He's too fast for me :( About time I finished this game (on PC).

Anyway here's the strat:

4) When he does his three hit combo, block the first hit, then parry-riposte the second, using the first block as a way to gauge the timing/rhythm

Black Knight Shield, which is conveniently dropped by the respawning Knights in the Kiln, has some of the best fire resist as well as 100% block, and looks neat.

Parrying the second hit of his combo is super easy. The timing for it is really forgiving for some reason. If he does his two-handed attack you can parry it on reaction also.

Morfeo

A sorcery called Cast Light. It's sold by Dusk of Oolacile and it opens some illusory doors. You can also use other light sources like the Skull Lantern or the Sunlight Maggot.

Hmm so I probably need to finish the dlc first to get it then. Thanks anyhow!

Based on what I read about him in the game, I thought Artorias was going to be this huge, slowly moving, proud knight ... nearly crapped myself when the fight started.

Haha, yeah I thought he would be a hero as well, not this quasi-demonic superfast guy.

I think you fight him at his 10% of his strenght so yeah, the abyss is bad

Finish the DLC before taking down the lords, its how the dlc is intended to be played

Haly

Dusk of Oolacile is the NPC you free from the crystal golem where the portal is. She waits next to the pool where the hydra is as a sorcery merchant.

OH, shit this is the DkS1 thread. My bad, thought you were talking about DkS2.

Anyway here's the strat:

You sir are a scholar, an officer and a gentleman. Just killed his ass.

Morfeo

Finish the DLC before taking down the lords, its how the dlc is intended to be played

What are the lords?

Dusk of Oolacile is the NPC you free from the crystal golem where the portal is. She waits next to the pool where the hydra is as a sorcery merchant.

Ah ok. The giant mushroom asked me to save her again, so I figured I had to complete the dlc to see her again. Thanks again!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
artorias at sl1

how i do this gaf? i've already died at least two dozen times. was trying all the magic buffs + power within and great combustion...good damage but one or two hits kills me, i guess i just have to get gud? is the red tearstone ring recommended, or no? i was trying either that, or the wood grain. wood grain seems better because leaving myself at low health with power within is trouble. is that the best strategy or is there anything else that could help? i'm p much naked armor wise besides the obvious dusk crown. using the grass crest on my back...perhaps blocking some of his attacks with a better shield would be better? this has been rough.

I got him my second try (and would have gotten him on the first but I got sloppy). I really got his pattern down so he's not that bad for me. I attuned Great Fireball and Great Combustion, wore the Crown of Dusk on my head and maxed out crimson robes, Bellowing Dragoncrest with RoFaP, grass crest shield on my back. Maxed out pyro flame of course, and I didn't even use all my casts, pyros did good damage to him. His attacks don't generally OHKO with that setup.

Manus on the other hand... AHHHHHH. So many retries at SL1. So. Many. According to my depleting Green Blossom inventory, I retried 50+ times. No joke. -_- A light crossbow+15 helps, I never dared get too close because I struggled at dodging that cheap-ass OHKO grab move.

Haly

Ah ok. The giant mushroom asked me to save her again, so I figured I had to complete the dlc to see her again. Thanks again!

You're in the past bruh.

Fucking time travel and shit.

daninthemix

I played Demon Souls all the way until the return to the Tower Knight archstone and incredibly enjoyed my time, but Dark Souls is pissing me the hell off. Blighttown is such a piece of shit level it has destroyed the whole game for me. I get past all the poison and flame enemies who are annoying enough just to encounter this fiend looking thing. I kill it and then I have to fight this big motherfucker with a club in this small-ass corridor which shouldn't be that bad.....except the camera keeps zooming into my character and obscuring the screen, and two more goddamn fiend-looking enemies come out of nowhere. Then, I learn that you can't even block these dudes as one of them grabs me despite my shield and bites 75% of my health bar away.

After I kill all these fucks in the corridor, I go up a tall ladder and another fiend starts going down it. I slap his bitch-ass and he falls, knocking me to the floor with him. His buddy comes down too and now I'm fighting two of these block-ignoring assholes on an extremely small platform with a terrible camera and no estus flasks. Plus, if I die I have to do all this shit again? nigga nooooooooooooooo Alt-F4

If you use the Master Key to enter Blighttown from Firelink > New Londo > Valley of Drakes then you can just rush past the three trolls and take the ladders and lift down. Do it quickly and you can be in the swamp in under a minute without fighting anything.

PranooY

I can't find the summon signs for Solitare and Laurtec near the area of Bell Gargoyle boss. I tried everything like restarting, going offline etc.
I had talked to Solitare, obtained the white soapstone and i had also freed Laurtec from the prison. But still i cant find the summon signs in front of the white gate.

P.S: I'm new to Dark Souls. So please explain with less jargons.

Nordicus

I can't find the summon signs for Solitare and Laurtec near the area of Bell Gargoyle boss. I tried everything like restarting, going offline etc.
I had talked to Solitare, obtained the white soapstone and i had also freed Laurtec from the prison. But still i cant find the summon signs in front of the white gate.

P.S: I'm new to Dark Souls. So please explain with less jargons.
You need to be in human form to summon NPCs and people.

Go to a bonfire, make sure your humanity counter in top left corner says 01 at least (meaning you have 1 soft humanity). If not, use a Humanity item from you inventory. Then choose the option "Reverse Hollowing"

PranooY

You need to be in human form to summon NPCs and people.

Go to a bonfire, make sure your humanity counter in top left corner says 01 at least (meaning you have 1 soft humanity). If not, use a Humanity item from you inventory. Then choose the option "Reverse Hollowing"

Done that. But i can only see summon sign for Solitare. The summon sign for Lautrec doesnt seem to be at the place its supposed to be.
Should i do something other than freeing him?

Edit: Never mind, i beat the Belfry Gargoyle with solitare.
BTW can someone tell me what happens to NPC, if they die in summoned battle? Do they permanently die ?

eot

Banned
artorias at sl1

how i do this gaf? i've already died at least two dozen times. was trying all the magic buffs + power within and great combustion...good damage but one or two hits kills me, i guess i just have to get gud? is the red tearstone ring recommended, or no? i was trying either that, or the wood grain. wood grain seems better because leaving myself at low health with power within is trouble. is that the best strategy or is there anything else that could help? i'm p much naked armor wise besides the obvious dusk crown. using the grass crest on my back...perhaps blocking some of his attacks with a better shield would be better? this has been rough.

What I used was Power Within, Red Tearstone Ring and Sanctus shield (to not die from Power Within) for absolutely maximum damage. I might have used the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring to make Power Within last longer (lower damage), but I'm not sure. You can also curse yourself to decrease it. Use Dung Pies to get into RTSR range. Honestly though, you just have to dodge like a madman. It definitely took me more than 2-dozen tries. What might help is practising dodging him with a higher level character, so you can take some hits and not die.

Blighttown spoilers:
Which way did you go in? There's another Bonfire that's bit tricky to get to near the "real" entrance
I went in from the entrance you get to after you go down the elevator in Darkroot and dodge the blue drakes and acid dragon. Then I went down the stairs and got to a bonfire that has a dead end with a chest in it.

From my right, when I walk out I can see three dudes with rocks over their heads. I ran past them to get to the spider boss. Previously, I was trying to go to the left, which I assume is the incorrect path to the second bell.

I went in from the entrance you get to after you go down the elevator in Darkroot and dodge the blue drakes and acid dragon. Then I went down the stairs and got to a bonfire that has a dead end with a chest in it.

From my right, when I walk out I can see three dudes with rocks over their heads. I ran past them to get to the spider boss. Previously, I was trying to go to the left, which I assume is the incorrect path to the second bell.

Yep, You entered by the exit

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Blighttown=Shitetown. I wish I'd just popped in the rear entry, killed Quelaag and buggered off

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Blighttown is fine on PC. The flies are a little annoying, and the dart men can be a bit of a pain, but other than that I enjoy it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Blighttown is fine on PC. The flies are a little annoying, and the dart men can be a bit of a pain, but other than that I enjoy it.

i5 and gtx 770, with dsfix, dipping below 30 regularly

They really should have ported it to use multi core cpu's

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If you unlock the frame rate, then set 30 as the cap it will make the entire game run at a smooth 30 (did for me anyway).

Ok, I'll try that. I tried unlocking and cap @60 but the game would crash at start-up

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So I killed Manus, summoned Dusk of Oolacile for the first time, quit and reload. I go back to where I killed the golem and her armor set isn't there. What am I doing wrong?

Top Bottom