• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

damn, i leveled up to 22 thinking i'd still be able to play with all the 11's and such, but after killing artorias it seems there's hardly anyone to invade in the township. on saturday night too, not like i tried a dead time. Bummer! did i screw that up by going out of the range of 1's? does the township have a lot of people dueling with 1's or not?

i know i can take him to anor/depths/burg and pvp all day but i like some variety man.

guess i'll have to make another character and keep it at 11. I'm thinking a pyro with 14 dex for balder side swag; i kind of want 16 strength to gain access to the zwei and some other stuff....but then i only have one point to put in endurance. not sure if that's the way i should make my 11, or if i should get 14 dex and put the rest in endurance. more options is more fun, but more end will probably win me more fights.

I think ideally i'd like one character for every level range up to 120 (IE one 11, one 22ish, one 35 ish, one 49ish, etc) so i could coop with anyone at any time. if only i had like, a thousand hours of spare free time.

Althane

So, I'm enjoying Anor Londo, now that I've gotten into the Chapel. I'm essentially right before THE fight, so that'll... well, let's be honest. I'm going to cry like a little girl before I ever beat the two.

Anyways, moving on from my inadequacies. Got a couple of questions:

1. Is there a shortcut through Sen's Fortress? I find it annoying that I basically have to retread the place if I want to go between Firelink and Anor Londo, or the Parish blacksmith. I know that warping shows up later, but for now, I'm just looking for a ladder, or a staircase or... SOMETHING to get through that headache of a place faster.

2. Can someone explain how the Iaito blade is supposed to work? I've got it at +5 right now (would ascend to +10, but... see 1), and it's doing like 23 damage to the Silver Knights. I know it's supposed to cause bleed, but it doesn't really appear to be doing that. (that or I guess they have really high bleed resist, but even when I land a lot in a row it doesn't do much) Am I using it for the wrong thing? Should I just stick to my Halberd + Great Swords?

daninthemix

So, I'm enjoying Anor Londo, now that I've gotten into the Chapel. I'm essentially right before THE fight, so that'll... well, let's be honest. I'm going to cry like a little girl before I ever beat the two.

Anyways, moving on from my inadequacies. Got a couple of questions:

1. Is there a shortcut through Sen's Fortress? I find it annoying that I basically have to retread the place if I want to go between Firelink and Anor Londo, or the Parish blacksmith. I know that warping shows up later, but for now, I'm just looking for a ladder, or a staircase or... SOMETHING to get through that headache of a place faster.

2. Can someone explain how the Iaito blade is supposed to work? I've got it at +5 right now (would ascend to +10, but... see 1), and it's doing like 23 damage to the Silver Knights. I know it's supposed to cause bleed, but it doesn't really appear to be doing that. (that or I guess they have really high bleed resist, but even when I land a lot in a row it doesn't do much) Am I using it for the wrong thing? Should I just stick to my Halberd + Great Swords?

1. There is a cage in Sens that you can get a key for by jumping over a gap. This cage takes you down to the beginning of the fortress (and vice versa). But to be honest, just beat O+S and you'll unlock warping.

2. A +5 weapon is nothing for Anor Londo. I recommend a +10 at minimum, and in fact my preference is to drain New Londo and get the Very Large Ember beforehand, so that I tackle Anor Londo with a +15 (assuming I've been lucky enough to pick up a slab).

Totally worth going to back Andre to at least +10 your weapon before O&S.

Besides the cage lift, you can also drop down a seemingly dead drop and there's a treasure you might've missed by going that way (unlock the cage first though since that's two-way, the drop is only one). The "dead" drops - one guarded by a lizardman, the other above it where the final set of swinging axes and two pressure plates are). They lead you back to the first swinging axes room, same as the cage does. The drop off from the boulder run that leads to the black sorcerer set also leads to the same area.

Great for trolling invaders as an easy way to drop down after they've followed you up in the cage lift (giggle!)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
There is also a blacksmith in Londo. If you can hold out a little longer you can upgrade the Iato soon. At +15 with 40 dex you will be killing everything with ease.

Althane

Thanks for the shortcut, that's helped.

My weapons are:

1) Halberd +10 (favored weapon for getting through just about everything so far)
2) Zweihander+10 (Just upgraded to +10, man this weapon is awesome)
3) Claymore + 10

I have no idea which one is actually going to help me against the Anor Londo brothers. They both seem like they're gonna fuck me up pretty hard.

Mistel

Banned
Thanks for the shortcut, that's helped.

My weapons are:

1) Halberd +10 (favored weapon for getting through just about everything so far)
2) Zweihander+10 (Just upgraded to +10, man this weapon is awesome)
3) Claymore + 10

I have no idea which one is actually going to help me against the Anor Londo brothers. They both seem like they're gonna fuck me up pretty hard.
All of those should suffice against Ornstein and Smough.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
So I killed all mimics but the last one (near the staircase in the Archives) didn't drop the Symbol of Avarice. What gives?

Ermac

Still one more left as the last one is a guaranteed to drop it.

I just double checked all locations, no more Mimics. I killed the one in Sen's Fortress right as I died so I didn't pick up his item, could this have effected me not getting the Symbol maybe?

Mistel

Banned
I just double checked all locations, no more Mimics. I killed the one in Sen's Fortress right as I died so I didn't pick up his item, could this have effected me not getting the Symbol maybe?
Even the one next to Havel's stuff? If so then yeah that was probably it.

Ermac

Even the one next to Havel's stuff? If so then yeah that was probably it.

Yeah, I remember killing them all. And blach, this is the third time a dumb glitch has caused me to miss an item. Was really looking forward to having it for grinding. :/

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, I remember killing them all. And blach, this is the third time a dumb glitch has caused me to miss an item. Was really looking forward to having it for grinding. :/
There's one in dlc in the township if you have it. How is it a dumb glitch if you died at the same time as the one that likely dropped it?

Ermac

There's one in dlc in the township if you have it. How is it a dumb glitch if you died at the same time as the one that likely dropped it?

Are you saying the one in Sens could have dropped it instead of the spear? Either way, it's annoying to never be able to get an item just cause that happend. Same thing happend with Lautrec and I couldn't get the fire keeper soul.

Mistel

Banned
Are you saying the one in Sens could have dropped it instead of the spear? Either way, it's annoying to never be able to get an item just cause that happend. Same thing happend with Lautrec and I couldn't get the fire keeper soul.
It dropped it as well as the spear based on the information you have provided.

eot

Banned
I did that. I think based on what I read I can't get the armor anymore. :/

It's not a drop though, it's spawned on a corpse in the environment. I can't think of any item like that which despawns. After you summon her you have to quit and reload, then go back into the cave. Sorry if that's what you tried.

Ermac

It's not a drop though, it's spawned on a corpse in the environment. I can't think of any item like that which despawns. After you summon her you have to quit and reload, then go back into the cave. Sorry if that's what you tried.

Yeah, tried that twice. No luck :/

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If you unlock the frame rate, then set 30 as the cap it will make the entire game run at a smooth 30 (did for me anyway).

I had a solid 60 in Blighttown. i5 4670k, 7850 hd.

Ok, I'll try that. I tried unlocking and cap @60 but the game would crash at start-up

Jesus Christ what a dumbass. Turns out I had installed an old version of the fix. Installed the new one, and the game now runs smoothly at a locked 60fps :)

Look at this:

Pure sex
jKQRX9kywYaSe.bmp

The other holy crap experience is discovering how ridiculously easy parrying is. One-hit-killing silver knights without taking hits at all now

edit: beginning to feel a bit bad about crotch killing all those brave knights :(

And the giant smithy, he can't upgrade standard weapons +5 -> +6 ?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Oh I thought you was talking about the wall. You need to visit Andre to ascend your weapon.

meh

I need a +10 curved sword (in this case the Shotel) to make Quelaag's Fury Sword. Not sure if I'm going to bother. I'll get some warp item at some point, right?

I'm also surprised how much stat bonus modifier impacts things.

Silver Knight SS with +5 and Claymore +10 comes out even, even though the SSSS has 56 higher base damage. Claymore is c/c ... and SS is e/c ...

daninthemix

Tried fighting O&S a couple of times.. yeah

Even just summoning Solaire can help with this fight, because it gives O+S something else to focus on.

My approach is to summon Solaire, and then lay into Ornstein like crazy - swing after swing with a buffed weapon. Back off to heal as needed, but the goal is to kill Ornstein as quickly as possible. Then, against Super Smough, always keep a pillar (or pillar stub) between the pair of you. Bait him into attacking, then very quickly run in with an R1 hit, then get back behind the pillar.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Managed to kill Ornstein with no summoning, and getting Smough down to 50 % on my third try. I think this should work

kionedrik

Managed to kill Ornstein with no summoning, and getting Smough down to 50 % on my third try. I think this should work

They aren't that hard but it's quite understandable why people, myself included, have a hard time with them on the first playthrough and even after that.

Just make sure you aren't greedy and the fight is quite manageable solo. (fast weapons help a lot)

krakov

meh

I need a +10 curved sword (in this case the Shotel) to make Quelaag's Fury Sword. Not sure if I'm going to bother. I'll get some warp item at some point, right?

I'm also surprised how much stat bonus modifier impacts things.

Silver Knight SS with +5 and Claymore +10 comes out even, even though the SSSS has 56 higher base damage. Claymore is c/c ... and SS is e/c ...

Weapons that upgrade with regular titanite generally have lower base dmg compared to weapons that upgrade with twinkling, scales, etc. Your spear is maxed out already but the claymore can go +15. Scaling (bonus param) is really good though.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Super Smoughs jump attack with lightning charge is just overkill

yeah, fuck this. I think I either have to backtrack for some humanity so that I can reverse hollowing and summon the NPC, or just level up the Silver Knight Kit or some other lightning res. kit, and maybe just level up a bit in general.

One time I got Super Smough down to ~30% and then the fucking iTunes auto-update app just alt-tabbed me out of the game because it was so pressing to ask me if I wanted to update to the latest version of whatever (uninstall)

daninthemix

Super Smoughs jump attack with lightning charge is just overkill

The one that has a large AOE lightning effect on the floor? Yeah, that's his one cheap attack, not just because of its range but its duration. If you run straight in after he lands you'll still hit the sparks. If you can spot it in time, two backwards rolls are enough to evade it.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The one that has a large AOE lightning effect on the floor? Yeah, that's his one cheap attack, not just because of its range but its duration. If you run straight in after he lands you'll still hit the sparks. If you can spot it in time, two backwards rolls are enough to evade it.

Yeah, that's the one. It does A LOT of damage too

Guys what armor/rings should a dex build use? I like havels ring because it lets me equip sexy armor, but, I got a wolf and ninja ring and well poise could be useful.

daninthemix

Guys what armor/rings should a dex build use? I like havels ring because it lets me equip sexy armor, but, I got a wolf and ninja ring and well poise could be useful.

If you think you need poise for tanking hits then you also need armour, so Havel's ring combined with heavy armor makes sense. People who use the ninja ring and 25% roll typically dodge successfully (as they can't take many hits).

Thrak360

Neo Member
Third time was the charm for the Capra Demon. I gave up trying to farm the Balder Shield. Just going around and around the Parish netted me a handful of Balder Side Swords and Balder Gauntlets. And a shit-ton of Bucklers and Rapiers, because those knights dropped their stuff way more often than the side sword/shield guys.

So I just bought a Kite Shield, and had more than enough shards to take that and the Claymore to +5. That along with the knowledge from my previous failings made the Capra Demon fight pretty easy. I'll buy the Balder Shield later on if I can.

Question: As I prepare to continue into the Depths and beyond, what are the critical things I should be buying from that undead merchant in the shortcut between the Burg and Firelink Shrine? I already have a handful of red and purple moss clumps from brief explration of the Garden.

daninthemix

Third time was the charm for the Capra Demon. I gave up trying to farm the Balder Shield. Just going around and around the Parish netted me a handful of Balder Side Swords and Balder Gauntlets. And a shit-ton of Bucklers and Rapiers, because those knights dropped their stuff way more often than the side sword/shield guys.

So I just bought a Kite Shield, and had more than enough shards to take that and the Claymore to +5. That along with the knowledge from my previous failings made the Capra Demon fight pretty easy. I'll buy the Balder Shield later on if I can.

Question: As I prepare to continue into the Depths and beyond, what are the critical things I should be buying from that undead merchant in the shortcut between the Burg and Firelink Shrine? I already have a handful of red and purple moss clumps from brief explration of the Garden.

There is a chance you might get cursed by the frogs, so you could buy a purging stone from her. But they're damned expensive. My advice: don't get cursed!

Other than that, her poison arrows are fantastic for later in the game (Anor Londo).

If you think you need poise for tanking hits then you also need armour, so Havel's ring combined with heavy armor makes sense. People who use the ninja ring and 25% roll typically dodge successfully (as they can't take many hits).

I can dodge, but, I'm not a god at dodging. I don't want to get fucked if I miss a dodge.

daninthemix

I can dodge, but, I'm not a god at dodging. I don't want to get fucked if I miss a dodge.

Yeah, I would advise keeping Havel's ring on, levelling up endurance whenever you can (stop at 40) and staying under 50% load. Fairly early on you should be able to slip into the Elite Knight Armor (or some of it, at least), and that will serve you well until Anor Londo. There you'll pick up both Havel's armor and the Black Iron set, which between them can carry you through the rest of the game.

Yeah, I would advise keeping Havel's ring on, levelling up endurance whenever you can (stop at 40) and staying under 50% load. Fairly early on you should be able to slip into the Elite Knight Armor (or some of it, at least), and that will serve you well until Anor Londo. There you'll pick up both Havel's armor and the Black Iron set, which between them can carry you through the rest of the game.

I like the fast roll. The mid-roll feels like a fat roll.

Fuck the Stray Demon. Fuck him with a fork. He wouldn't be so bad if I didn't take fall damage. I fall and I don't get time to heal before he murders me.

Thrak360

Neo Member
There is a chance you might get cursed by the frogs, so you could buy a purging stone from her. But they're damned expensive. My advice: don't get cursed!

Other than that, her poison arrows are fantastic for later in the game (Anor Londo).
Thanks, I'll take your advice and just won't get cursed. lol. I already have one of those Purging Stones. I bought it from Oswald earlier. I think it was cheaper buying it from him.

I have like 18000 souls at this point. Didn't want to just spend it on leveling up, figured I'd stock up at the merchant first. Thinking poison arrows, some resins, some more red and purple moss clumps, and some blooming purple clumps (of which I have none).

daninthemix

Thanks, I'll take your advice and just won't get cursed. lol. I already have one of those Purging Stones. I bought it from Oswald earlier. I think it was cheaper buying it from him.

I have like 18000 souls at this point. Didn't want to just spend it on leveling up, figured I'd stock up at the merchant first. Thinking poison arrows, some resins, some more red and purple moss clumps, and some blooming purple clumps (of which I have none).

Oh yes - get her charcoal resin. Loads of it. Use it on every boss except the fire ones in the Demon Ruins.

Top Bottom