• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Hobobloke

Question: As I prepare to continue into the Depths and beyond, what are the critical things I should be buying from that undead merchant in the shortcut between the Burg and Firelink Shrine? I already have a handful of red and purple moss clumps from brief explration of the Garden.

Make sure to grab some blooming purple moss clumps from her, they're likely to save your life come Blightown.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
dat wall texture
tumblr_mac3x3mzkj1ruj2iwo1_400.gif

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Fuck the Stray Demon. Fuck him with a fork. He wouldn't be so bad if I didn't take fall damage. I fall and I don't get time to heal before he murders me.
- Cast fall control and/or a regeneration miracle and buff your weapon before you drop down.

- If you still take damage on drop, dodge his first attack then chug an estus.

- Stay close to his butt and he will be trapped into a loop of butt slams. You can literally take two steps back to avoid these then punish with at least 3 two-handed strikes before re-positioning.

- If he puts his weapon forward in his Gandalf "you shall not pass" pose, he is about to do that magic AOE blast so roll away, after doing this you have another opportunity to heal.

Althane

Is there a downside to increasing your soul level? (i.e. enemies drop fewer souls, etc)

Other than that, should I feel bad for being around SL66 to fight O&S? Or just a fairly unskilled player hacking his way through the world?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a downside to increasing your soul level? (i.e. enemies drop fewer souls, etc)

Other than that, should I feel bad for being around SL66 to fight O&S? Or just a fairly unskilled player hacking his way through the world?

nah, fuck them. I'm around 50 and I cry evry time

kionedrik

Fuck the Stray Demon. Fuck him with a fork. He wouldn't be so bad if I didn't take fall damage. I fall and I don't get time to heal before he murders me.

Two basic things for the fight:
- After you fall down, run behind a pillar and heal. He will go to the center of the room and go back leaving his backside open to the onslaught.
- Don't lock-on. Keep running around him and make sure you're always behind him and hit his tail. Be careful because his AoE goes back a bit, so when he casts it get away and resume his ass-beating when he finishes.

Levyne

Banned
Any of the Stray Demon type fights were always really easy for me. He always jumps, turns to face me, slams, open for a ton of hits.

Typical SL for the Super Londo Bros. is probably anywhere from 40's to 60's. The main disadvantage is less co-op partners if you're overleveled, but 1. Tons of people get stuck there, so I assume on consoles there's a pretty huge level range, and 2. They're one of the few bosses where you benefit considerably from having a summon, and there's already Solaire available as an NPC summon.

Mash the roll button before you land. You still take fall damage, but don't recoil. Don't be greedy with your stamina, and remember that there's still a lingering shockwave after the butt stomp, but it's also the best time to get a hit or two in.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Super Smoughs jump attack with lightning charge is just overkill

yeah, fuck this. I think I either have to backtrack for some humanity so that I can reverse hollowing and summon the NPC, or just level up the Silver Knight Kit or some other lightning res. kit, and maybe just level up a bit in general.

One time I got Super Smough down to ~30% and then the fucking iTunes auto-update app just alt-tabbed me out of the game because it was so pressing to ask me if I wanted to update to the latest version of whatever (uninstall)

This jump attack insta-killed me probably 90% of my tries on that battle :(

Leveling up really doesn't help in Dark Souls, unless you put 5+ levels into HP or Endurance. Just run. Don't try to dodge lighting stomp, and make sure not to immediately run in after he lands, because you'll still get hit. Run away, and don't feel bad about cheesing the pillars for the entire fight, because you never know when he'll do the Smough Shovel™ three times in a row.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
http://i.minus.com/iS2HBIa9ba0ou.png[/IM][/QUOTE]
This all needs to be spoiler tagged or completely removed. This is the thread for the first game, so I don't think any content no matter how minor would be appreciated by people who have yet to even start the sequel.[quote="Overdoziz, post: 112597351"]Dark Souls 2 has a castle *gasp*[/QUOTE]Hurr, UR so funni.

But seriously, it's not cool for people who like to go in blind.

Morfeo

Finished Oolacile Township, guess Im nearing the end of the dlc? Went down in the valley to meet Kalameet, but think I will wait with him, didnt look easy to say the least :)

Morfeo

Have you beaten any bosses?

In Oolacile Township? No, but I didnt find any there I think. I have beaten Artorias in the Royal Woods though if thats what you meant. Started a bit on the Chasm of the Abyss of whatever its name was, but man, I just dont think I have the motivation for another dark-area like that now, so will probably do it tomorrow.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Why did I just get electrocuted by some red-glowing crab in the Cathedral ? lol

702B739CF08B2481CAD34EDB5B00E4816C9F8EE1

My new O&S slaying gear™

Had to backtrack to Andre, but now I have a +4 fury sword, upgraded silver knight gear and a +8 Eagle Shield.

daninthemix

My new O&S slaying gear™

Had to backtrack to Andre, but now I have a +4 fury sword, upgraded silver knight gear and a +8 Eagle Shield.

That's plenty. The +4FS should be able to cut down Ornstein in seconds.

EDIT: Have 10 soft humanity if you can spare it, as it'll give the weapon a significant boost.

vladdamad

I played Dark Souls for the first time a couple of months ago, really enjoyed the level design and atmosphere but couldn't get into the combat and the really obtuse levelling system. I remember the last time I played it I was really stuck on the Capra Demon, haven't touched it in ages since. Am I better off starting all over again or trying to continue from where I left off?

Mistel

Banned
I played Dark Souls for the first time a couple of months ago, really enjoyed the level design and atmosphere but couldn't get into the combat and the really obtuse levelling system. I remember the last time I played it I was really stuck on the Capra Demon, haven't touched it in ages since. Am I better off starting all over again or trying to continue from where I left off?
You can just pick up where you left off if you'd like.

daninthemix

For Capra Demon, open the shortcut back to Firelink so you have a nice quick run when attempting it. Get some poise so you can survive the dog's attacks. Aim to hook around them and up the stairs, do your best while recognising that there's an element of luck with this fight.

By all means start again, it's early in the game and most people who like Dark Souls end up playing it through countless times anyway.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member

EDIT: Have 10 soft humanity if you can spare it, as it'll give the weapon a significant boost.

10 soft, what does that mean?

Morfeo

Mindblown. Why have I not encountered this enemy once during my playthrough?

How much does the soft humanity help? I have more or less played the whole game with zero or one, and still not used a single humanity-item since they are limited consumables.

daninthemix

How much does the soft humanity help? I have more or less played the whole game with zero or one, and still not used a single humanity-item since they are limited consumables.

It only helps with Queelag's Furysword, whose damage scales with humanity (up to a maximum of 10).

Booshka

Soft humanity also adds Item Discovery, Curse Resist and overall player defense. Item discovery caps at 10, curse at 30 and player defense at 99. At this point I usually have around 99 on me at all times, and you get a lot more defense because of it.

Another reason that invaders may seem more resilient than you are used to, their gear is probably max upgraded, and they have 99 humanity, so they have more than twice the defenses you do.

kionedrik

Note that humanity only affects the amount of fire damage the Queelag's Furysword does, just like any other Chaos weapon. It caps @ 10 humanity.

PranooY

Some minor doubts:

Is it worth saving Solitare by paying 30 humanity to Quelaag's sister?
And does going through that secret path leads to skipping any boss? (coz i wanna fight 'em all)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Some minor doubts:

And does going through that secret path leads to skipping any boss? (coz i wanna fight 'em all)

Yeah it's worth it. The path doesn't skip any bosses, actually makes it quicker to get to one.

You can farm humanity from the baby skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants. Doesn't take long.

Mistel

Banned
Some minor doubts:

You can actually do it without opening the door to save Solaire via poison mist.

Jamesways

Some minor doubts:

Yeah it's worth it. The path doesn't skip any bosses, actually makes it quicker to get to one.

You can farm humanity from the baby skeletons in the Tomb of the Giants. Doesn't take long.

Or or or... if you have Pyro and Poison Mist, you can still farm the humanity, save it for yourself, and still have ol' Solaire around without having to open the secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=t_mNHvpeK_k#t=142

Just go up to the door on the Demon Ruins side, breathe some mist through the door, watch the HP go down and bingo. Sunlight maggot bug dropped, Solaire will be there on the LI side not insane, and everyone's happy.

Edit- Beaten to a pulp like Pinwheel.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
"Is it worth it?" ????

I saving your good bro SOLAIRE WARRIOR OF SUNLIGHT, the man who gave you the white soapstone and introduced you to the world of JOLLY COOPERATION, the magnificent one who shines light into the darkness andleads the sunbros in order to help poor hosts in need across the time stream on their perilous journey WORTH IT?!?

The fact that you even have to ask disgusts me.

PranooY

"Is it worth it?" ????

I saving your good bro SOLAIRE WARRIOR OF SUNLIGHT, the man who gave you the white soapstone and introduced you to the world of JOLLY COOPERATION, the magnificent one who shines light into the darkness andleads the sunbros in order to help poor hosts in need across the time stream on their perilous journey WORTH IT?!?

The fact that you even have to ask disgusts me.

Lol...
BTW I spend about 16 humanity for this reason. Since i don't own a Covetus serpent gold ring, farming for humanity is a huge chore.
Besides my friend told me that Solitare's armour is amazing. ;)
Still i wanted to save him. :)

I'm gonna try the method given above to save Soliare.

PranooY

More doubts:

Should i use the soul of moonlight butterfly and soul of Quelaag to make weapon or liquidate it for souls?
Coz i don't find the stats of chaos blade, fury sword -impressive in case of Quelaag's soul.
What do you guys think about Crystal Ring shield and moonlight Butterfly horn in case of Butterfly soul?

I am using a Magic laito (105 damage/115 magic) and a Raw Halbred +4 (241damage).
And a knight shield (85).
I hate this shield, Please suggest an awesome lightweight shield i can find and upgrade.

^ I would never use boss souls just for souls, they don't give that much and you can get more just from a single 5 minute max co-op boss fight.
You might want the Moonlight butterfly horn if you are a magic user. People love the Quelaag weapons and they're worth trying out, not my cup of tea though.

Is there still a way to get his gear if you save him? It's been such a long time I forget.

Unless you've really got a boner for him (as he suggests in Anor Londo), I wouldn't bother saving him - what's the benefit, summoning him for Gwyn? Forget it, put the poor chap out of his misery!

kionedrik

More doubts:

Should i use the soul of moonlight butterfly and soul of Quelaag to make weapon or liquidate it for souls?
Coz i don't find the stats of chaos blade, fury sword -impressive in case of Quelaag's soul.
What do you guys think about Crystal Ring shield and moonlight Butterfly horn in case of Butterfly soul?

I am using a Magic laito (105 damage/115 magic) and a Raw Halbred +4 (241damage).
And a knight shield (85).
I hate this shield, Please suggest an awesome shield i can find and upgrade.

As a general rule, boss weapons are never too impressive stats and damage-wise (they look awesome though). The fury sword is nice to have to help against enemies that are weak to fire, which are many as you'll find out.

That shield sucks, it's true. Try to get the grass crest shield in Darkroot Basin, behind the Halberd Black Knight. You can also try the Balder Shield.

Booshka

Chaos Blade with 40 Dex and 10 Humanity is the best Katana in the game.

If you have high intelligence, the Moonlight Butterfly Horn is a really good spear that does magic damage and has a lot of reach.

Most boss weapons are bad though, but there are a few standouts.

Top Bottom