• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

PranooY

As a general rule, boss weapons are never too impressive stats and damage-wise (they look awesome though). The fury sword is nice to have to help against enemies that are weak to fire, which are many as you'll find out.

That shield sucks, it's true. Try to get the grass crest shield in Darkroot Basin, behind the Halberd Black Knight. You can also try the Balder Shield.

I already have the grass crest shield but I am gonna get the balder shield from the crestfallen merchant, since i heard its one of the best light weight shield available.

Chaos Blade with 40 Dex and 10 Humanity is the best Katana in the game.

If you have high intelligence, the Moonlight Butterfly Horn is a really good spear that does magic damage and has a lot of reach.

Most boss weapons are bad though, but there are a few standouts.
Ill try to get fury sword, since many are weak against fire.
Having 40 dex wont happen soon, since this is my first playthrough.

Vitanimus

I'd always hear horror stories of Blighttown even before playing Dark Souls and now that I'm playing it, I see what everyone is talking about. Awful. Also, does anyone know how to reduce the "posterised" look of the PC version of the game?

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Goddamnit, I can't find my blood stain in the Lost Izalith lava. I spent all this time killing the Bounding Demons and now I can't find it to collect my 100K souls. Is there an easier way to do this?

edit: installed this mod and found it in 5 seconds lol. That lava is seriously blinding without it.

Chemo

Hey! If anyone is currently playing this (PS3) and is far enough along, would you mind dropping a summon sign at Kalameet? I really need help getting his tail off of him. Thanks so much in advance, would really appreciate it!

(I'm level 104, and this is my first playthrough with this character.)

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Can you cut tails off of everything with a tail? I just beat the demon right before the Forest section and I couldn't get his to come off. Maybe I was swinging the sword to high on his body.

Def enjoying this a lot. The Capra Demon is the only fight, thus far, that felt like bullshit to me. Beat him already, but yea. The closed space mixed with the dogs, made it feel like more luck was needed than the other fights.

Took out the Gargoyles with the help of The Phantom of the Based Sun Lord.

It's cool to see my options in paths to take. Got the Forest, Depths, and Asylum. Still to weak for the catacombs.

Booshka

Hey! If anyone is currently playing this (PS3) and is far enough along, would you mind dropping a summon sign at Kalameet? I really need help getting his tail off of him. Thanks so much in advance, would really appreciate it!

(I'm level 104, and this is my first playthrough with this character.)

I can help if you need it, send me a PM and I will hop on the PS3.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Can you cut tails off of everything with a tail? I just beat the demon right before the Forest section and I couldn't get his to come off. Maybe I was swinging the sword to high on his body.

Def enjoying this a lot. The Capra Demon is the only fight, thus far, that felt like bullshit to me. Beat him already, but yea. The closed space mixed with the dogs, made it feel like more luck was needed than the other fights.

It's cool to see my options in paths to take. Got the Forest, Depths, and Asylum. Still to weak for the catacombs.

The demon before the forest section isn't a boss. No tail cutting.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I'd always hear horror stories of Blighttown even before playing Dark Souls and now that I'm playing it, I see what everyone is talking about. Awful. Also, does anyone know how to reduce the "posterised" look of the PC version of the game?

Could you elaborate? What do you mean by posterised? The backgrounds?

Are you using dsfix?

kionedrik

If it is a dragon or dragon-like boss, the tail can come off.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is it worth making my composite bow +10 into a lightning bow? Or should I wait for +15 upgrade later in the game

I feel I should probably get a new standard bow anyway, so it could maybe be useful to have a lightning bow handy too?

daninthemix

Is it worth making my composite bow +10 into a lightning bow? Or should I wait for +15 upgrade later in the game

I feel I should probably get a new standard bow anyway, so it could maybe be useful to have a lightning bow handy too?

Do you have a high DEX character? Just the standard Longbow is absolutely fantastic on a high DEX character when upgraded to +15 (or even below - loads of its damage comes from DEX scaling).

Nitemare1

So I finally got around to playing and decided I was going in blind and try to figure out as much as I could by myself.
I completely missed the forest of fallen giants. I didn't think there was anywhere to go after that first bonfire and struggled my way though Tower of Flame and No Mans Warf first! LOL So stupid.. Sure felt like a badass when I tore through the rest of the Forest of Fallen Giants though :D

Vitor711

Do I want to use strike weapons vs armoured enemies? Basically rolled with only clubs/maces in DkS2 due to the prevalence of armoured dudes. Guessing it's the same deal here?

Haven't found anything that I can equip. Any recommendations? I'm like level 20 and have beaten Havel/Capra/Moonlight Butterfly and the Taurus Demon. Not too far into the game.

So I finally got around to playing and decided I was going in blind and try to figure out as much as I could by myself.
I completely missed the forest of fallen giants. I didn't think there was anywhere to go after that first bonfire and struggled my way though Tower of Flame and No Mans Warf first! LOL So stupid.. Sure felt like a badass when I tore through the rest of the Forest of Fallen Giants though :D

Ha, did the same thing. Also, wrong thread btw - you want the sequel :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
4FA19C7887DAB504DA68FC9EB2487FFF92FA7A5D

Not gonna lie. This felt great! :D

I'm never going to create that hammer. I think I'll just sip on his soul and spend them carelessly. That's what that bastard deserves imo

kionedrik

Do I want to use strike weapons vs armoured enemies? Basically rolled with only clubs/maces in DkS2 due to the prevalence of armoured dudes. Guessing it's the same deal here?

Haven't found anything that I can equip. Any recommendations? I'm like level 20 and have beaten Havel/Capra/Moonlight Butterfly and the Taurus Demon. Not too far into the game.

Never liked blunt weapons that much but I remember that was a morning star (?) in firelink that has low requirements. Also the undead male merchant in the undead burg sells a reinforced club, which is a great low-req weapon. If you can hold off a little, you'll find a great club in Blighttown which can easily carry you through the rest of the game.

Not gonna lie. This felt great! :D

I'm never going to create that hammer. I think I'll just sip on his soul and spend them carelessly. That's what that bastard deserves imo

You killed Smough last? What are you? Casul? :D

In all seriousness, congrats.

Mistel

Banned
Reinforced club and morning star are available early on in the game.

Vitanimus

Could you elaborate? What do you mean by posterised? The backgrounds?

Are you using dsfix?

Yeah I am. Here's an example:

56C543117CDF2B68465E8B5680ECE7658D46216F

This is in Darkroot Basin. I dunno if it's just the filter for the area, but it's really jarring, so I dunno if it's intentional or it's just a result of the settings of dsfix.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the feel of losing 12 soft humanities in New Londo (drained) ruins. :( I don't think I'm gonna bother farming up again, switching out Quelaag's with the Claymore again. Can upgrade to +15 now :)

Yeah I am. Here's an example:

This is in Darkroot Basin. I dunno if it's just the filter for the area, but it's really jarring, so I dunno if it's intentional or it's just a result of the settings of dsfix.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe you could try tinkering with the Depth of Field settings in the dsfix.ini ? Ask in the dsfix thread, or pm Durante ;)

daninthemix

the feel of losing 12 soft humanities in New Londo (drained) ruins. :( I don't think I'm gonna bother farming up again, switching out Quelaag's with the Claymore again. Can upgrade to +15 now :)

Well hey, you got the V. Large Ember - that's something :)

Did you get the Covetous Gold Serpant Ring in Sens? That gives you +200 item discovery, making farming feasible even without humanity.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I have that. One of those Skeleton hunks just gave me a Titanite Slab :) aaaaw yeah

So am I supposed to just drop down into the darkness yolo swag style all the way down in that spiral staircase?

edit: did a bit of googling and it appears I need to kill some Wolf I haven't found yet. I think Morfeo told me about that one the other day, so I think I know where to go. Homeboning.

Vitor711

Never liked blunt weapons that much but I remember that was a morning star (?) in firelink that has low requirements. Also the undead male merchant in the undead burg sells a reinforced club, which is a great low-req weapon. If you can hold off a little, you'll find a great club in Blighttown which can easily carry you through the rest of the game.

Awesome, thanks. Might have missed that morning star. Will have to track it down. Stupidly spent a good chunk of souls on a Heater Shield because I was told the fire resist was excellent. Only to then find out that my starting shield for the knight had the same stats... FML.

It's nice having found Havel's ring so early though - that 50% encumbrance increase is silly. And possibly completely unbalanced. At least I can equip all that Elite Knight Armour without any real penalty. What are the encumbrance limits? I'm at 30% at the moment. Could equip the boar helm for added survivability but worried that it'll push me over some negative weight threshold.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Yeah, I have that. One of those Skelton hunks just gave me a Titanite Slab :) aaaaw yeah

So am I supposed to just drop down into the darkness yolo swag style all the way down in that spiral staircase?

edit: did a bit of googling and it appears I need to kill some Wolf I haven't found yet. I think Morfeo told me about that one the other day, so I think I know where to go. Homeboning.

Yep time to get 20k souls and open the door to the inner part of the Gardens to go hunt down Sif - which might be the easiest boss fight in the game if I remember correctly.

daninthemix

Awesome, thanks. Might have missed that morning star. Will have to track it down. Stupidly spent a good chunk of souls on a Heater Shield because I was told the fire resist was excellent. Only to then find out that my starting shield for the knight had the same stats... FML.

It's nice having found Havel's ring so early though - that 50% encumbrance increase is silly. And possibly completely unbalanced. At least I can equip all that Elite Knight Armour without any real penalty. What are the encumbrance limits? I'm at 30% at the moment. Could equip the boar helm for added survivability but worried that it'll push me over some negative weight threshold.

50% for medium roll, 25% for fast roll.

krakov

I must say invading the forest (360) right now works pretty well, though there is a really big distinction between new and old players. At least there are many less modders compared to when Dark Souls 2 was a month or two away.

It also seems everyone has stopped caring about their SL and I've seen a few people trying to spam parry with the painting guardian sword, heh.

Vitor711

50% for medium roll, 25% for fast roll.

Eh, that seems a bit harsh. Although I guess it means that light armour isn't as useless as it was in DkS2.

I could drop down to 25% if I just keep adding points to Endurance... I like having loads of stamina anyway since it helps me block.

daninthemix

Eh, that seems a bit harsh. Although I guess it means that light armour isn't as useless as it was in DkS2.

I could drop down to 25% if I just keep adding points to Endurance... I like having loads of stamina anyway since it helps me block.

The problem with light armor here is no poise, and I hate getting stunlocked to death. If you can avoid or block every attack then fast rolling is great.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Solaire? This I find devilishly delectable.
That is evil and really dickish... but I'm not gonna lie, I laughed. The parry at Iron Golem is just amazing. I felt bad when I saw the :( messages though. These people expected jolly cooperation, the poor souls.
Buuuut that's genuinely funny trolling, and it was worth it just to see the gank squad at the end. LOL

Dark Souls griefing is some of the best kind of griefing.
I wouldn't call that one griefing. A naked invader doing nothing but scratching his ass is just silly and funny.

Oldschoolgamer

I see why the Gaping Dragon was so easy. If only I would have taken the hint when it dropped a homeward bone. Something told me, do not go through the gate, without spending the 30k + souls you have sitting on deck. Didn't listen. I should have. smh.

I figured there was going to be a bonfire around the corner, to keep my silly self going forward. Had the binoculars, arrows, and magic on deck. I was clearing mother fuckers without issue, until I got sniped with a toxic dagger. Panicked and went to the menu, and panicked some more when I forgot to quit out of the menu and died before I could use the flask + homeward bone. Went back and fell off of a cliff, right before I could get the souls back.... Fuck BlightTown... :(

At the very least, I got the Axe from the dragon...

Time to explore the Forest and level up some weapons.

Oldschoolgamer

Yes, the long stairway from the bottom of the Depths back to the bonfire.

Ah yea, definitely got that.

Pyromancy seems fun. In my head, plants should die swiftly when they eat fireballs. We'll see if that logic sticks.

About to drop the Drake sword and move on to other things.

Top Bottom