• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think there's some glitch. Their life-line is not showing correctly either. Just a long yellow line with no name and no scale

Maybe I should try tinkering with the aliasing settings or the framerate stuff.

edit: it worked when I reset the drawing distance settings :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I think there's some glitch. Their life-line is not showing correctly either. Just a long yellow line with no name and no scale

Maybe I should try tinkering with the aliasing settings or the framerate stuff.

edit: it worked when I reset the drawing distance settings :)

The perils of not playing the superior console-version!

Boogiepop

Well, since my LTTP thread seems to have died, I guess I'll move my posting into here and do my best to avoid massive spoilers.

Just got down to the Gaping Dragon. Man, it's a weird fight. He's big, but not very aggressive. I only died because he doesn't get along with the lock on very well and he went up into the air and then sat on me for an insta-kill while I was fidgeting with the camera.

I already opened up the shortcut and the bonfire at least, so he's going to be very, very easy to get down to whenever I want. Also, any need to go back for the Giant Rat? I already stole his key from the other side of the gate and explored the area thoroughly otherwise, so I'm not sure if it's worth going out of my way to go back for him.

I already opened up the shortcut and the bonfire at least, so he's going to be very, very easy to get down to whenever I want. Also, any need to go back for the Giant Rat? I already stole his key from the other side of the gate and explored the area thoroughly otherwise, so I'm not sure if it's worth going out of my way to go back for him.
He drops a humanity, there's a couple of treasures in his room too, nothing amazing but the one above will be useful and is a hint on how to kill him quickly.

There's also a reason to go human in the Depths if you haven't already discovered.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I kind of feel bad for not giving the Giant Rat a fair chance. Tried shooting him through the gate and the first arrow went through, so I spent a couple of minutes trying to position correctly so that I can do it continuously. Found the right spot and used arrows and magic to take it out.

Then too, I take every advantage that I can get.

Boogiepop

He drops a humanity, there's a couple of treasures in his room too, nothing amazing but the one above will be useful and is a hint on how to kill him quickly.

There's also a reason to go human in the Depths if you haven't already discovered.

Huh. I think I'll leave him for now then, at least unless the Gaping Dragon proves to be enough of a problem that I need a break (guessing it won't).

You talking the rats randomly dropping the humanities? I already got 2 or 3 from them, I think. Though I've mostly just been hoarding humanity for now, and haven't even used one yet, haha.

Edit: And I beat the Gaping Dragon. It was a weird fight for sure, since I mostly just got hurt when, say, his hitbox went funky and he somehow hit me while walking. I also totally died once when I kept my camera on him while fleeing to keep my distance, and I accidentally ran over the edge into death. Whoops. Also totally chopped off his tail which is nice, though if I'm reading things correctly I don't think I'll be using that greataxe any time soon, even though I'm focusing on strength. Anyway, onwards to Blighttown! Just... not right now. Think I'll take a little break, since I wore myself out wandering the sewers (I think I cleared out literally every enemy in the depths on my first try, outside of the Giant Rat.)

Edit x2: Tried Blighttown and yeah... that's not happening today. I'll come back to it tomorrow refreshed, but at the start at least it's a little rough, what with all the poison and the toxic and the unwanted hugs. So for now I'll be satisfied with slaying a dragon.

Mistel

Banned
Edit x2: Tried Blighttown and yeah... that's not happening today. I'll come back to it tomorrow refreshed, but at the start at least it's a little rough, what with all the poison and the toxic and the unwanted hugs. So for now I'll be satisfied with slaying a dragon.
There's another entrance into Blighttown if you are interested. You don't have the stats to 2 hand the dragon king greataxe?

Oldschoolgamer

Got the katana from the undead merchant. Thinking about upgrading it. I don't what weapon I like the most. D: Swords that swing as fast as (or close to) the Drake sword.

Got Havel's ring as well.

Tried killing the dragon but failed a ton. Lol.

Booshka

I'll try those out.

The katana is pretty cool. It's at plus 3 and getting the bleed effect is cool.

Just use a Longsword if you want a good straight sword, the other ones mentioned have to be farmed or gotten off an NPC. Longsword is one of the best weapons in the game, excellent moveset.

Just use a Longsword if you want a good straight sword, the other ones mentioned have to be farmed or gotten off an NPC. Longsword is one of the best weapons in the game, excellent moveset.

+1

Longsword is a beginning weapon that can be used for the whole game, just remember to upgrade it.

Boogiepop

There's another entrance into Blighttown if you are interested. You don't have the stats to 2 hand the dragon king greataxe?

Ah, didn't think about 2 handing. I could probably do that, yeah.

And I'll probably chug at this entrance for now, but I guess if it proves to be a brick wall I may consider other options.

Oldschoolgamer

Thanks!

Opened up Valley of the Drakes. Lol @ them flying off and killing themselves, sometimes. Ran into a bigass NOPE moment. Hell no, I'll come back to it later.

kionedrik

Dont use lock on for big monsters.

Manus and Kalameet say hi. The no lock-on approach on those fights is a sure way to get killed. On the rest of them I agree.

I'll try those out.

The uchigatana is godly, easily my favorite DEX weapon in the game. If you are going for a DEX build just take it to +15 and don't listen to the Iaito lovers.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I'll try those out.

The uchigatana is godly, easily my favorite DEX weapon in the game. If you are going for a DEX build just take it to +15 and don't listen to the Iaito lovers.

Iaito all the way. Better moveset by far. Uchi users are all thumbsuckers with no taste who need the extra 5 points of damage.

iaito_1h_r2.gif

One of the best and most satisfying finishing moves in the game, outside of the Black Knight Halberd.

TAKE THAT, STAIRS!

Nordicus

I have this one friend who has tried to play Dark Souls but has apparently gotten horribly stuck at the Undead Burg bonfire after killing Taurus Demon, and has thus been so demoralized that he doesn't really want to try again... but he is now apparently maybe willing to start again if we play co-operatively through (most of) the game. I want him to enjoy the game and telling him to try again by himself doesn't quite seem to work at this point.

So I did some preparations, and this is all assuming that 1) the multiplayer will still miraculously work after June 1st, 2) he won't have second thoughts before his summer vacation starts in few weeks:

I started a Thief character (so I'll eventually get to try playing Dex heavy), and for now I'm keeping her at level 11.
I'm going to try to beat as much of the game as I can with as little leveling as possible and mostly in thief starting gear and upgrading that so that I'll become somewhat but perhaps not completely overpowered for the starting areas, and I'll be able to gather up nice amount of Humanity so I can give them to him for multiplayer purposes. I just need to be able to do a quick rescue if he screws up with the pulling and aggro.
Going to take bandit's knife down the fire path (though I need to figure out how I'm gonna deal with Quelaag first), shortbow perhaps to +15 because it's light and I mainly need it for solo progression, and I'll probably need a good Dex-scaling +15 weapon for the end game once I'm allowed to gain some levels.

Just beat Gaping Dragon for a nice pile of souls and next I'm going to take the back route to Blighttown. Once I've finished my Blighttown farming and possibly killed Quelaag in same trip, I'll go into the catacombs to get my knife fired up and maybe go kill Sif if I can find a reasonable use for the 40k souls he drops at this point.

kionedrik

Iaito all the way. Better moveset by far. Uchi users are all thumbsuckers with no taste who need the extra 5 points of damage.

One of the best and most satisfying finishing moves in the game, outside of the Black Knight Halberd.

TAKE THAT, STAIRS!

You little Iaito peasant! Enjoy the lowest reach katana. :p

Also Black Knight Greataxe for life!!!

IIRC, thief only needs 1 level to get an attunement slot. So perhaps getting it and dumping your souls into your pyro glove is not a waste.

If it is any consolation for your friend, on my first run it took me 30+ hours just to get past the gargoyles.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So the four king's fight is all kinda shitty

Terrible hitbox on the kings, terrible feeling of space and distance

overall terrible.

Such a shame coming from the epic godlike-fight that was O&S

You talking the rats randomly dropping the humanities? I already got 2 or 3 from them, I think. Though I've mostly just been hoarding humanity for now, and haven't even used one yet, haha.
I was talking about going human by using a humanity. There are scripted NPC black phantom invasions in a few areas, and they drop unique loot when killed. Just like human player invaders, they will not invade in an area you defeated the boss in already. So it's always worth popping a humanity in an area before you do the boss just to see if there's an invader to smash.

If you want an easier time in Blighttown too, I would find all the treasures in the Depths, one will help a lot
Spider shield, blocks poison and toxic 100%
, and stock up on poison and toxic cures - the tree enemies in the forest drop them if you've been there already, it's worth a trip back just to farm them and stock up.

Nordicus

IIRC, thief only needs 1 level to get an attunement slot. So perhaps getting it and dumping your souls into your pyro glove is not a waste.
Sound like a decent idea. I did buy a Fire Orb spell just in case pyromancy would come in handy, but right now my only attunement slot is occupied by Magic Weapon. Even though a catalyst puts me above 25% weight limit, it's not a problem when I only equip it before a fight and unequip right after casting

kionedrik

The Iatio moveset is only for real men, like Toshiro Mifune:

Dat R2 XD

Also, the Black Knight Greataxe is splendid but it isn't the BKH:

TAKE THAT, BANDWIDTH!

That's clearly a stabbing attack like Uchi R2, not a slashing one like the Iaito R2, so by your example real man use the Uchigatana :p
Also, gotta love the special effects of ancient movies. Real men use props not CGI.

Awesome gif! Do you have any more of the other BK weapons?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I love the iaito, but the r2 thrust of the uchi is definitely way too useful to neglect.

I always found it strange that they called it a iaito. A iaito is, by definition, an unsharpened katana. So... uh?

Boogiepop

Managed to breach Blighttown and get to Quelaag. Looks like she's going to take some time to get down. I pretty much just got blasted by her big spread attack shortly into the battle. Either way, going through all of Blighttown was enough for now, so I'll take a break before I start chugging away at her.

daninthemix

Out of interest, who here brutalises Queelag's sister immediately after resting at her bonfire? As far as I'm concerned, she's an abomination and needs to be destroyed (also her firekeeper soul is tasty).

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Out of interest, who here brutalises Queelag's sister immediately after resting at her bonfire? As far as I'm concerned, she's an abomination and needs to be destroyed (also her firekeeper soul is tasty).
How could you do that to the Fair Lady? You're the true abomination.

You need to wear the old witch's ring to understand the truth of her existence.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
That's clearly a stabbing attack like Uchi R2, not a slashing one like the Iaito R2, so by your example real man use the Uchigatana :p

You poor fool, you've gone Uchi Simple! Mufine-San did a QuickDraw from the scabbard, like the Iaito's R2. :)

Also, gotta love the special effects of ancient movies. Real men use props not CGI.

The amount of blood is ridiculous!

Awesome gif! Do you have any more of the other BK weapons?

Greatsword

I love the iaito, but the r2 thrust of the uchi is definitely way too useful to neglect.

I always found it strange that they called it a iaito. A iaito is, by definition, an unsharpened katana. So... uh?

Oh, I hate it. I got the Iaito R2 timing down to a tee.

I thought Iaito meant replica or fake. Either way it's still odd.

So the four king's fight is all kinda shitty

Terrible hitbox on the kings, terrible feeling of space and distance

overall terrible.

Such a shame coming from the epic godlike-fight that was O&S

Technically they are flying (and you too) so the physics are wierd there and the room is endless so you perception is kinda distorsioned.

She gets ill for saving the people of blightown and you can actually heal her

Boogiepop

And I beat Queelag. I hesitantly wandered down into the demon ruins and lit that bonfire, and decided that was a nice enough breaking point. At least I know where I need to go now that that gate's open, so I guess I just need to find a nice shortcut back (which I'm sure is there, because there's no way the game's making me backtrack through Blighttown).

Edit: Well then. That kind of sucks. I wandered back and my Firelink Shrine fire person and bonfire are just plain dead. I'm 99% sure I had nothing to do with that. Also, there's a big longneck dude who I can apparently feed things?

kionedrik

Edit: Well then. That kind of sucks. I wandered back and my Firelink Shrine fire person and bonfire are just plain dead. I'm 99% sure I had nothing to do with that. Also, there's a big longneck dude who I can apparently feed things?

Oh... but it all happened because of you... You monster!! Poor jolly Anastacia...

Also that serpent is evil!

daninthemix

And I beat Queelag. I hesitantly wandered down into the demon ruins and lit that bonfire, and decided that was a nice enough breaking point. At least I know where I need to go now that that gate's open, so I guess I just need to find a nice shortcut back (which I'm sure is there, because there's no way the game's making me backtrack through Blighttown).

This is why I always kick Lautrec off the cliff.

Someone else missing from Firelink did the deed.

The longneck is Peter FRAMPTon, he will tell you what you need to do now.

Top Bottom