• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Boogiepop

Someone else missing from Firelink did the deed.

The longneck is Peter FRAMPTon, he will tell you what you need to do now.

Yeah, he shot me some plot. Also, seeing as I need the small shards to upgrade stuff is there any reason not to feed him one of the large shards I picked up? I'm assuming large shards aren't super hard to find or anything that would make that an especially bad idea.

Also that serpent is evil!

You sorry fool. You could not be the chosen one.

Yeah, he shot me some plot. Also, seeing as I need the small shards to upgrade stuff is there any reason not to feed him one of the large shards I picked up? I'm assuming large shards aren't super hard to find or anything that would make that an especially bad idea.

Save your large shards. Once your weapon hits +5, you need large shards to upgrade them further. Large shards are harder to come by than small shards. (In fact, if you've already unlocked Peter Frampton, you really should be upgrading your main weapon to +10, or at least as high as you can given how many large shards you h ave.)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Havent been able to play much this week, but have killed the first two (both?) bosses in the Demon Ruins and gotten a few new embers and stuff.

The Ceaseless Discharge looked pretty hard to melee, and he did incredible, seemingly non-blockable damage, so I ended up cheating him with a bow from the safe spot which took some 40+ arrows, but worked out pretty well in the end. Killed him on my first try - as Roboleon can attest to.

I then fought the Demon Firesage which I beat on my fourth try. He did a really smart move, which was doing area damage behind me, and I eventually learned not to target him, block in the direction he faced, and then do a quick slash before getting ready to block again. His butt-stump was of course a joke after having dealth with Smough. So while I did take some damage all the time, I was able to heal, using all five flasks, and give out enough damage for him to fall to a well deserved death. Nice to see there is a shortcut as well - definitely never going down to those ruins again!

jerry1594

Yo I just got the game and started as a deprived, cause yolo. Also didn't know anything about the gifts so I just chose the tiny being's right. I've gone down to the new londo ruins but nothing much to do there. I went up to the undead burg and got up to the fog door but I have no armor, a wooden shield and an axe. Any pointers?

Morfeo

I think I would restart with another class, can not believe it to be very easy to get through the game for the first time as a Deprived.

Yo I just got the game and started as a deprived, cause yolo. Also didn't know anything about the gifts so I just chose the tiny being's right. I've gone down to the new londo ruins but nothing much to do there. I went up to the undead burg and got up to the fog door but I have no armor, a wooden shield and an axe. Any pointers?

Look around in the Undead Burg a bit more, there's a merchant that will sell you some weapons and armor. EDIT: Oh, did you get to that first fog door, or the boss one? In other words, have you found the Undead Burg bonfire yet? If not, then definitely go for that first. There isn't a boss behind the first fog door. Once you get to the bonfire, you can level up, and practice on the enemies around there. And then buy some stuff from the merchant when you have enough souls.

I think I would restart with another class, can not believe it to be very easy to get through the game for the first time as a Deprived.

It shouldn't matter too much. The starting class only effects the first bit of the game really.

Not recommended to have Peter FRAMPTon break down any titanite. You can feed him your trash weapons and armor for a few souls, though.

If you're not making any magic, divine, fire weapons you can break down Green Shards for 5 Small Titanite each. But beyond that, yeah, I would never feed Frampt any other type of titanite..

Morfeo

Died twice to the Centipede Demon. Easy to block and give damage when he is over me. Very hard to avoid his fire-magic spell or whatever it was though. Giving it my third try now!

Died twice to the Centipede Demon. Easy to block and give damage when he is over me. Very hard to avoid his fire-magic spell or whatever it was though. Giving it my third try now!

Yeah, that boss can be irritating.

If you want a little tip:
cut off one of his heads or his tail to get the ring early. It'll let you walk on the lava without taking much damage at all, which can help a lot. You get the ring at the end of the fight regardless, but can get it early by cutting something off.

Morfeo

Yeah, that boss can be irritating.

If you want a little tip:
cut off one of his heads or his tail to get the ring early. It'll let you walk on the lava without taking much damage at all, which can help a lot. You get the ring at the end of the fight regardless, but can get it early by cutting something off.

Thanks! But I actually just killed him on my fourth try.

He seemed hard, but I think I was very lucky as for some reason he would get out of the lava, and stay right on the entrance spamming his slow punch attack. I of course, stood between his legs (more or less) and just hacked away. Took a ton of damage and had to use all five flasks, but he fell first!

Thanks! But I actually just killed him on my fourth try.

He seemed hard, but I think I was very lucky as for some reason he would get out of the lava, and stay right on the entrance spamming his slow punch attack. I of course, stood between his legs (more or less) and just hacked away. Took a ton of damage and had to use all five flasks, but he fell first!

Nice job!

Morfeo

You've not kindled any bonfires in the area?

Ive still never used a single humanity item, and only kindled one bonfire (Undead Parish). I have this bad habit of always sparing all consumables JUST IN CASE I get to a stupidly hard section where I would actually need it. So I end most rpg's with tons of unused stuff.

Mistel

Banned
Ive still never used a single humanity item, and only kindled one bonfire (Undead Parish). I have this bad habit of always sparing all consumables JUST IN CASE I get to a stupidly hard section where I would actually need it. So I end most rpg's with tons of unused stuff.
Yeah you can actually use those to do things instead of sitting there looking pretty.

Boogiepop

Yeah you can actually use those to do things instead of sitting there looking pretty.

But it just feels wrong. Like using an Elixir before the final boss in an FF game! (I haven't used one yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually say screw it and decide I need to kindle a bonfire to deal with something).

I'm like that in a lot of games too, but I would recommend just using humanity. There are a few places in the game that you can farm them to get a *ton*. In 15 minutes or so in certain areas I can usually get around 15 or more humanity. They are also really useful for fully healing yourself when you run out of Estus.

Morfeo

But it just feels wrong. Like using an Elixir before the final boss in an FF game! (I haven't used one yet, but I'm sure I'll eventually say screw it and decide I need to kindle a bonfire to deal with something).

I am like this in Final Fantasy to yeah :)

If you have more than 10 humanity in your Life bar your resistance and drop rate increase really high and affects somewhat the world around you.

You can get a free max upgrade in the firelink shrine if you save the firekeeper and place the lord vessel with frampt, talk to her and she upgrades the firelink's bondfire free of charge.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Made a little progress. Killed The Hydra, the golden crystal golem, and the three bear like creatures (after being trolled the first time). I'm at the wolf now. This fight is a lot of fun. I've got his patterns down, but keep losing due to dumb shit. Got him down to almost no health and got clipped due to mashing roll... :(

I guess pyromancy needs to be at 10 to do any real damage to him? Great heavy spear(i forget the name) takes off a nice chunk.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here's a full gallery with all those weapon gifs and some other stuff.

That's clearly a stabbing attack like Uchi R2, not a slashing one like the Iaito R2, so by your example real man use the Uchigatana :p
Also, gotta love the special effects of ancient movies. Real men use props not CGI.

Awesome gif! Do you have any more of the other BK weapons?

Hey dudes, those ones are mad old.

You can find much better and smoother ones I updated over on my Sta.sh account. They should load a lot faster too.

Samples:
titanite_head_on_by_aloo81-d79c2pf.gif

barrel_bash_24_no_dithering_by_aloo81-d79c4dj.gif

black_knight_great_sword_150_with_blur_by_aloo81-d7965v6.gif

PranooY

I had got the black orb (with description showing invade world of fire keeper's murderer) earlier, it started shivering in Anor Londo and then i used it. And killed Lautrec. Didn't get to kill the 2 thugs with him. My Question is - Was there any cut-scene and any other info showing that he had killed Anastacia/ Fire Keeper of the Firelink Shrine?
Did a miss a cut-scene or someone telling me that it was him?

BTW... which would be better?Starting the bonfire at Firelink or reinforcing my Estus flask?

Mistel

Banned
I had got the black orb (with description showing invade world of fire keeper's murderer) earlier, it started shivering in Anor Londo and then i used it. And killed Lautrec. Didn't get to kill the 2 thugs with him. My Question is - Was there any cut-scene and any other info showing that he had killed Anastacia/ Fire Keeper of the Firelink Shrine?

BTW... which would be better?Starting the bonfire at Firelink or reinforcing my Estus flask?
No cut scene missed it tells you through in game stuff like him having her soul. Relight the bonfire is better than using it to upgrade your flasks.

Booshka

Restore Firelink, you are gonna hate yourself later on when you need that bonfire later in the game for a boss run if you don't.

There is no cutscene for that info, just character dialogue and item descriptions. That's how you get 95% of your lore and plot info for these games. So pay attention to what characters are saying, and read item descriptions as you pick them up.

PranooY

Does you health and attack power go down (to half?), when u are summoned to another world? Coz i feel damn weak or am i imagining things..
Also Silver Knights in Anor Londo does a shield push move, that makes us stagger. I have a silver knight shield, but how do i do that move?

Also i had joined the Chaos servant covenant and given 30 humanity to Quelaag's sister. So basically i got the chaos fireball and chaos storm.
Can i betray or leave the covenant? I wish to join Princess Guard covenant due to "higher chance to team up with other players for co-op play".
Also can i leave Anor Londo after meeting Gwynevere and later come back and join?

My first PC playthrough, I saw this nerd talking about praising the sun or something, so I got my powerful man to cut him down and take his clothes.

A5F955691E27770222A1A96EF5C7B8CF485E49D0

Does you health and attack power go down (to half?), when u are summoned to another world? Coz i feel damn weak or am i imagining things..
Also Silver Knights in Anor Londo does a shield push move, that makes us stagger. I have a silver knight shield, but how do i do that move?

Also i had joined the Chaos servant covenant and given 30 humanity to Quelaag's sister. So basically i got the chaos fireball and chaos storm.
Can i betray or leave the covenant? I wish to join Princess Guard covenant due to "higher chance to team up with other players for co-op play".
Also can i leave Anor Londo after meeting Gwynevere and later come back and join?

Your attack power doesn't go down when being summoned, but bosses have increased health.

You can't do that silver knight shield bash. Shield breaking is done by kicking. Or you can do a shield bash if you have a greatshield (tower shields, etc).

If you leave some covenants, you have to get your sins absolved by Oswald in order to rejoin. (I think? I could be wrong.) However, you'll lose half of the offerings you gave if you left the covenant and later rejoin. As for the Princess Guard, it only gives you a better chance of teaming up with other Princess Guard members. Hardly anybody joins that covenant, though, so it really won't improve your online (at least in my experience). Also, you may want to stay in the Chaos covenant if you want to
save Solaire

Yes, you can come back later if you want.

My first PC playthrough, I saw this nerd talking about praising the sun or something, so I got my powerful man to cut him down and take his clothes.

A5F955691E27770222A1A96EF5C7B8CF485E49D0

You monster.

PranooY

Is the Ash Lake hydra way too tougher (i mean on the basis of time required to chip its health) compared to the Dark root basin hydra?
Any strategies for quicker kill?
BTW Ash Lake is looks gorgeous...

Edit: Naa, its easy to beat it. Just beat it..

Morfeo

Your attack power doesn't go down when being summoned, but bosses have increased health.

You can't do that silver knight shield bash. Shield breaking is done by kicking. Or you can do a shield bash if you have a greatshield (tower shields, etc).

If you leave some covenants, you have to get your sins absolved by Oswald in order to rejoin. (I think? I could be wrong.) However, you'll lose half of the offerings you gave if you left the covenant and later rejoin. As for the Princess Guard, it only gives you a better chance of teaming up with other Princess Guard members. Hardly anybody joins that covenant, though, so it really won't improve your online (at least in my experience). Also, you may want to stay in the Chaos covenant if you want to
save Solaire

Yes, you can come back later if you want.

You monster.

Ok, now I know what I can use all those humanities I have spared for!

jerry1594

I'm just getting around to going through the undead burg, and came up to the black knight. is he worth the fight as a deprived with a hollow soldier set and a battle axe?

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Wow. They sure know how to make you feel like a dick for fighting and killing Sif. That last percentage of her health brehs. Didn't even give her a fair one and shot her with a soul arrow from long distance.

Making my way to the bottom of the catacombs with the divine Uchi. What the fuck are these scary ass wheels... D:

Top Bottom