• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Booshka

Santzo is back to running Dark Souls Any% again.

Good run going so far, his Personal Best is 1 second off the World Record time, so he will most likely beat it eventually.

Santzo is back to running Dark Souls Any% again.

Good run going so far, his Personal Best is 1 second off the World Record time, so he will most likely beat it eventually.

Oh boy, I got banned from his chat because I questioned why he offers a $5 subscription, and calling MYSELF a faggot.

Oh well.

JustinBB7

Anybody else having trouble with gfwl all the sudden? I sign in forever and I just played fine earlier today. Can't even get into the menu, just gfwl signing in forever, really pissing me off. I wanna play it with my friends.

It also takes me like 2/3 minutes to actually launch the game, it just says preparing to launch forever. Anybody else have this?

Anybody else having trouble with gfwl all the sudden? I sign in forever and I just played fine earlier today. Can't even get into the menu, just gfwl signing in forever, really pissing me off. I wanna play it with my friends.

It also takes me like 2/3 minutes to actually launch the game, it just says preparing to launch forever. Anybody else have this?

I thought GFWL was dying? But, yeah, earlier it took five minutes before it finally signed in. Maybe they're getting ready to finally kill it?

Mistel

Banned
Can I just go up the ladder and throw fire bombs at him? His sword is awesome
What are you current stats? You only need 14 STR and 18 DEX to two hand the black knight sword if it drops. If I was you I'd try with 10 soft humanity so you've got better luck.

jerry1594

Yeah, you can try and cheese him like that. That sword isn't a guaranteed drop, though. And you won't have the stats to use it for quite awhile.
I ended up doing it and he only dropped a titanite chunk :/
What are you current stats? You only need 14 STR and 18 DEX to two hand the black knight sword if it drops. If I was you I'd try with 10 soft humanity so you've got better luck.
I think I had 13 dex and str

JustinBB7

I thought GFWL was dying? But, yeah, earlier it took five minutes before it finally signed in. Maybe they're getting ready to finally kill it?

It dies on july 31th, so it should still work. Also FROM said it would still work even after it dies, so I dunno.

Jesus fuck, the Elite Knight Armor still makes me fat roll. It's END that I need to up to use heavier armor, right? Or have I fucked up?

Booshka

Jesus fuck, the Elite Knight Armor still makes me fat roll. It's END that I need to up to use heavier armor, right? Or have I fucked up?

Yes, there are rings to increase your equip load as well. You don't have to wear all of the set, mix and match some pieces with lighter gear so that you get a better roll, while still having some of the heavier armor on.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Killed off the first boss of the catacombs, made it through Blighttown, beat that boss, killed off the useless discharge, and I'm in the demon ruins. This place is hell...

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Had to fight my way out of that mess. Went to Blighttown, explored some, and fucked around and got cursed. Now, I have to climb my way back up this madness with half hp. D:

Nordicus

Apparently my co-op buddy had more enthusiasm than I expected. Just yesterday he suggested us to try it out, but I had a massive brainfart so nothing was really accomplished.

He started up the game and I went to Undead Burg to meet him at the soonest part possible. I had invested a point in Faith to get myself a basic heal in case he didn't manage his estus well enough to keep me healed as well. I put my sign down in the room right under the nearby crossbowman so that nobody else would summon me and told him where to find it. He didn't see anything. He had reversed hollowing so that wasn't the problem. Okay, so then I put one right in front of the bonfire and nothing was seen there either. He tried putting down a sign too but got summoned by a complete stranger. We grumbled about dscfix (which was totally not at fault here) and then he quit the game and logged off Steam.

10 minutes after it occurred to me: he said that he had logged on to his old character. The character that had already beaten Taurus Demon! Of course the summoning wouldn't fucking work!

*facedesk on a loop*

JustinBB7

Apparently my co-op buddy had more enthusiasm than I expected. Just yesterday he suggested us to try it out, but I had a massive brainfart so nothing was really accomplished.

He started up the game and I went to Undead Burg to meet him at the soonest part possible. I had invested a point in Faith to get myself a basic heal in case he didn't manage his estus well enough to keep me healed as well. I put my sign down in the room right under the nearby crossbowman so that nobody else would summon me and told him where to find it. He didn't see anything. He had reversed hollowing so that wasn't the problem. Okay, so then I put one right in front of the bonfire and nothing was seen there either. He tried putting down a sign too but got summoned by a complete stranger. We grumbled about dscfix (which was totally not at fault here) and then he quit the game and logged off Steam.

10 minutes after it occurred to me: he said that he had logged on to his old character. The character that had already beaten Taurus Demon! Of course the summoning wouldn't fucking work!

*facedesk on a loop*

You can still summon after one person beat the boss already, I dunno where that fable came from, but I played the entire game with my co-op friend taking turns. First I helped her beat the boss, then I summoned her to beat the boss in my world.

I didn't think it could work either because all I read is that it's not possible, but that's how we beat the game.

I'd blame GFWL

Nordicus

It's no fable, it's just that you still can help/invade others in areas where you've killed the boss. Not be helped/invaded.

I had beaten all the bosses up to Quelaag. He has beaten Taurus Demon. We were not going to connect in the pre-Taurus Undead Burg even if GFWL was coded and designed by god

PranooY

This dark sun Gywndolin Boss of Anor Londo is a real pain in the ass. His magic is too powerful resulting in one shot kill and he keeps moving as soon as I catch up to him. I can't find any summon signs too. Any ideas?
I can't even summon people coz I beat O & S bosses.

Levyne

Banned
This dark sun Gywndolin Boss of Anor Londo is a real pain in the ass. His magic is too powerful resulting in one shot kill and he keeps moving as soon as I catch up to him. I can't find any summon signs too. Any ideas?

I always found him pretty easy. Stand behind a pillar near the walls for the homing blasts, roll for the large magic beam, and just strafe for the needles or whatever they are. I would always be able to typically get 3-4 hits on him before he moved back. I have died once or twice when I've gotten too close and didn't move laterally enough to avoid the needles (I say needles because I forget what exactly they are, rapid fire bullets or something). All in all it just becomes knowing which of his three attacks he's going to do.

PranooY

I always found him pretty easy. Stand behind a pillar near the walls for the homing blasts, roll for the large magic beam, and just strafe for the needles or whatever they are. I would always be able to typically get 3-4 hits on him before he moved back. I have died once or twice when I've gotten too close and didn't move laterally enough to avoid the needles (I say needles because I forget what exactly they are, rapid fire bullets or something). All in all it just becomes knowing which of his three attacks he's going to do.

I brought him down to half health. Then he starts using non stop homing blasts.

Woah, I thought the homing blast penetrates the pillars but it doesn't. It almost got him to zero. I can finish in the next try.

Edit: Got him. He was terribly weak against fire and I rushed him with a fire weapon.

Mistel

Banned
You can still summon people Anor Londo without bosses present. Gywndolin eventually reaches a point where they no longer teleport then you can easily kill them.

EVH

I dont know what to think about his game. First of all, it makes me feel stupid, second, it looks like i'm playing an obscure N64 game. Just started, as I bought it during this steam weekend sale, but í cannot say i've been enjoying it, as i wasted my time on tens and tens of attempts.

Right now I'm in this temple of fire nexus, i have three paths:

1) A castle with undead knights, where i was able to advance quite a lot until i reached the camp fire. There i got: a) a big ass monster quite far away from the quicksave point. b) a massive guy with a huge sword that kills me with a combo of 3 hits and stands on a narrow street giving me his back. b) a motherfucking knight with a hammer that kills me with one hit and moves as fast as a fucking russian dancer.

2) The ruins of a castle half into the water, where some white ghosts with long hands and knifes appear and im not even able to hurt them.

3) Graveyard where some skeletons that im not able to kill because they just rebuild themselves, cut me like a sausage.

This of course doesnt include the guy from the fire temple nexus wanting to kill me until he fell off a cliff. Or the fact that i dont even know what using this "humanity" to become human is for. Im a thief type of player, but god, it was pretty useless until now.

Any tip would be great.

Mistel

Banned
I dont know what to think about his game. First of all, it makes me feel stupid, second, it looks like i'm playing an obscure N64 game. Just started, as I bought it during this steam weekend sale, but í cannot say i've been enjoying it, as i wasted my time on tens and tens of attempts.
20_Tips_for_Beginners.jpg

kionedrik

Right now I'm in this temple of fire nexus, i have three paths:

1) A castle with undead knights, where i was able to advance quite a lot until i reached the camp fire. There i got: a) a big ass monster quite far away from the quicksave point. b) a massive guy with a huge sword that kills me with a combo of 3 hits and stands on a narrow street giving me his back. b) a motherfucking knight with a hammer that kills me with one hit and moves as fast as a fucking russian dancer.

2) The ruins of a castle half into the water, where some white ghosts with long hands and knifes appear and im not even able to hurt them.

3) Graveyard where some skeletons that im not able to kill because they just rebuild themselves, cut me like a sausage.

This of course doesnt include the guy from the fire temple nexus wanting to kill me until he fell off a cliff. Or the fact that i dont even know what using this "humanity" to become human is for. Im a thief type of player, but god, it was pretty useless until now.

Any tip would be great.

Going to try a spoiler-free advice:

1- If it is ridiculously hard to get around, you shouldn't be there, at least not yet. So follow the path of least resistance.

2- The first boss that you find shares a lot with the tutorial boss that you've beaten before.

3- The guy at the bottom of the tower is called Havel the Rock and you don't need to kill him to advance, although there's a nice prize if you do.

4- The Black Knights may drop high-end weapons that can carry you through the game, but may be tough for beginners. That one in particular is completely optional.

5- Did you attack a NPC in firelink? Friendly ones don't aggro without provocation.

6- Humanity can come in two forms:
Soft Humanity - The counter on the upper left corner, increases you item discovery and resistances
Hard Humanity - The items in your inventory. Use it to gain one soft humanity.

You can go human by reverse hollowing at a bonfire which will allow you to see summon signs of NPCs and other player but also open you to invasion by other NPCs and players.

jerry1594

Speaking of invasions I got invaded by a guy who just stood there for some reason. He'd look to me like he wanted a fight or something but I just ignored him for a bit, yet he'd follow me around. This was in the burg past the firebomb throwers and I was taking on a few undead soldiers. Eventually I attacked him and he kept try to breathe mists on me. He was much higher level than me so I decided to ignore him but the undead killed me and he did a waving gesture lol

PranooY

I killed Gywndolin, then went to Tomb of Giants and then warped to Anor London. The fire keeper of first bonfire of Anor Londo attacked me, I ran away but she kept following me and she died from a fall.
What do I do? I hope she isn't an important NPC who will be useful later. Can I (if yes, should I) light the bonfire using something or should I reinforce my estus?

I killed Gywndolin, then went to Tomb of Giants and then warped to Anor London. The fire keeper of first bonfire of Anor Londo attacked me, I ran away but she kept following me and she died from a fall.
What do I do? I hope she isn't an important NPC who will be useful later. Can I (if yes, should I) light the bonfire using something or should I reinforce my estus?

You can only use her fire keeper soul to reinforce your estus. The only problem with her being dead is you can't rest at her bonfire anymore.

EVH

Thanks for your help. I tried many times again and i cannot beat the boss. I try and try to hit his head jumping from the tower, similar to the tutorial boss and it simply does not work, the guy gets hurt but with a minimal amount of damage ( values between 1 and 50 ) so eventually, he smashes me after quite a lot of time.

It is ridiculous, I'm able to reach the boss killing all the undead and without getting any damage, but that colossus like guy beats me without effort. It does not help that the camera is also a bit crappy and when it gets really close to the its fur, the framerate goes to around 5fps :S

PranooY

Thanks for your help. I tried many times again and i cannot beat the boss. I try and try to hit his head jumping from the tower, similar to the tutorial boss and it simply does not work, the guy gets hurt but with a minimal amount of damage ( values between 1 and 50 ) so eventually, he smashes me after quite a lot of time.

It is ridiculous, I'm able to reach the boss killing all the undead and without getting any damage, but that colossus like guy beats me without effort. It does not help that the camera is also a bit crappy and when it gets really close to the its fur, the framerate goes to around 5fps :S
Dude, buy some firebombs. First climb the ladder and kill the archers atop before going to trigger Taurus demon.
Go near Taurus, run back up the tower. Lock on to him and throw a bomb at him run and climb down the ladder (go down 25%) . He will jump up the tower but will go down since u are on the ladder. Climb up again and do the same.
This is the most easiest strategy.
Dark Souls requires some patience bro..You can't beat all the bosses going face to face bro.. Also if you have soul arrow do the same as explained above.

Hobobloke

You can't beat all the bosses going face to face bro..

That's not true at all, you can stay up in the face of almost all the bosses if your rolling is on point.

As for Taurus tips, taking out the archers is a must then either fight him up there or try to keep luring him into plunging attacks.

The plunging attack works like this - drop off the edge and as soon as you're in the air press attack. Don't try to hit attack as you come into contact with the enemy because that's too late. Locking on also helps for this particular plunge I find and I used to wait for him to look up as that tells you he's exactly under you and ready.

Also you're a Thief class? That's not the best class for a first playthrough. Class matters so very little - but if you're muddling through with the low HP and knife you get as a Thief it can feel harder than it should. I would try another weapon and put some points into vitality as soon as you can. Even a humble longsword will probably feel better, and it has a great varied moveset too.

Also buy a 100% physical block shield if you don't have one yet - Undead merchant sells the Heater Shield which also has relatively high fire defense and is pretty light to boot. Don't give up, it will click and when it does you'll feel awesome every time you smash a big monsters fat fucking face in! :)

jerry1594

Do I have to rush the bridge with the hellkite? Or maybe buy a few hundred large arrows (small bow) and spam him for a few hours from the middle?

Do I have to rush the bridge with the hellkite? Or maybe buy a few hundred large arrows (small bow) and spam him for a few hours from the middle?

Let it kill all the demons with its fire, then wait. It'll eventually get mad at you and come down, then you can rush and get the loot it guards and then you'll be at the bonfire. Easy peasy.

jerry1594

Let it kill all the demons with its fire, then wait. It'll eventually get mad at you and come down, then you can rush and get the loot it guards and then you'll be at the bonfire. Easy peasy.
But if I want it out of the picture do I have to come back later in the game or can I cheese it somehow?

But if I want it out of the picture do I have to come back later in the game or can I cheese it somehow?
You can cheese it with arrows from below, either side. You can melee it when it's down on the bridge, or just run past and ignore it. If it flies off, it will come back the next time you trigger it.

Mistel

Banned
Yeah, that! Also, I upgraded the claymore and halberd to +5 and now I want them higher. How do I do the things you need to do to make them do?
Kill Capra for the depths key then get the ember from the depths behind the first butcher. Then drain New Londo and simply wander casually to the very large ember.

Top Bottom